• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of Nintendo's franchises do you personally care for?

Robiin

The Switch is on everybody's minds at the moment, and because mine is stuck somewhere in the insane postal system of Norway, I was thinking about how my main reason for purchasing the system was two games - maybe from the most iconic series in gaming - Zelda and Mario.

Then I was thinking how many people seem to want a new Metroid. It's clear Nintendo has a lot of people who really love their IPs. And in this day and age it's clear that when you purchase a Nintendo console, it becomes a first party machine first and foremost. Most people I know - including myself - use it as a complementary device; a PC, PS4 etc in the media center and that's where they do most of their gaming. When a Nintendo game shows up they play it and then go back to their "main" console.

For those who have a Switch, or a Wii U, or any system since the Gamecube really - do you fit into what I describe? And if so, do you actually care about all of Nintendo's first party franchises? They are so vastly different in genre and gameplay, but many Nintendo fans seem to love every IP they have in their repertoire! If you buy a system only for first party software, you should make sure you are interested in as much as possible, right?

For reference, these are their franchises according to Wikipedia. Extras I feel should be there are in italics.
Animal Crossing
Brain Age
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Sports
Mario RPGs
(Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario)
Metroid
Mother
Nintendo Wars (Advance Wars, Batallion Wars etc.)
Pikmin
Pilotwings
Pokémon
Punch-Out
Puzzle League
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon

Pushmo/Pullblox
Xenoblade

Sin & Punishment

Personally I adore 3D Super Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. For all intents and purposes, these three names are why I spend money on Nintendo consoles. I like Splatoon, 2D Mario and Metroid enough (was never a fan of Star Fox though!), but I would never buy a system solely for new entries in those series. But anounce a new Zelda game or a Smash and I'll be searching for prices on consoles in an instant.

EDIT: Let's get some discussion in here by asking:
Are your personal choices enough to get you to buy a system? If not, what would it take for you to do so?

Pokemon, Mother, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Zelda are usually good. I used to like Mario but I couldn't enjoy a 3D platformer to save my life including Galaxy and whatnot.

I've gotten enjoyment from every single one of those. The only five that I'm not a HUGE fan of are: Animal Crossing, Brain Age, F-Zero, Puzzle League, Star Fox. I would still buy a new F-Zero or Star Fox, though.

Phediuk

I can honestly say that nothing listed there excites me.

I might play a new F-Zero or Metroid if they made those though.

Animal Crossing - I played the DS one and the Wii one briefly but New Leaf was when I came to love it. Cannot wait for AC Switch.
Fire Emblem - I'm an Awakening baby. Was the first strategy game of that kind I'd played, and I loved the art, characters and world.
The Legend of Zelda - The first Zelda game I ever completed was OoT3D last year, but it made me a fan. Currently being slain by Breath of the Iconic.
Mario - I like 3D Land/World but mostly only check Mario for local multiplayer.
Mario Kart - Mario Kart 8 forced me to buy a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and it's portable potential immediately sold me on the Switch.
Nintendogs - please come back.
Pikmin - I've never played one but they look super cute so I hope they keep making them.
Pokémon - duh.
Splatoon - 2015's best shooter! Love the style, the music, the satisfying gameplay... Splatoon is awesome.
Super Smash Bros. - I enjoy it but not super attached tbh.

I also love Pushmo/Pullblox, if that counts. So cute.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Mario
Zelda
Metroid
Fire Emblem
F-Zero
Splatoon
Xenoblade
Kirby
Smash Bros
Donkey Kong

Honorable mention to Star Fox 64 and Punch Out for Wii, though I can't really say I care about the rest of those franchises all that much.

Animal Crossing is probably the only one I actively dislike.

Maxinas

Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Smash, Mario Kart in that order. A new metroid would be nice, but we are of course only talking about living franchises :^(

Bgamer90

Banned
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario (Mainline, Kart, Tennis)
Metroid
Mother
Pokémon
Punch-Out
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.

Shahed

Zelda, Xenoblade and....................that's it. While I'll mess around with and enjoy a few others from time to time, I wouldn't particularly care if I never played them again

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Quite a few!

Animal Crossing most of all - god I love these.

Pikmin, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash Bros, Metroid/Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars.

kennyamr

Xenoblade is Nintendo too right? if that's so I'm only interested in that one + Zelda, at least for now.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, this is my first Nintendo console.

Gaspard

Animal Crossing
Donkey Kong
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Metroid
Mother
Pikmin
Pokémon
Punch-Out
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.

A majority

For me, I care about all the ones I've listed below. In order from favourite to least favourite:

Pokemon
Smash Bros
Mario Kart
Mario
Zelda
Splatoon
Kid Icarus
Golden Sun
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Advance Wars

Tuck

Italics: I care a little
Bold: I care a lot
Bold and underline: I care a fuckton

Animal Crossing
Brain Age
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem

Golden Sun
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Mario Sports
Metroid
Mother
Pikmin
Pilotwings
Pokémon
Punch-Out
Puzzle League
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon
Pushmo/Pullblox

nampad

Mario Kart
Well, it is the best kart racing series around and everyone likes it and knows how to play it.

Mother
Played Mother 3 some time ago when the fan translation hit and everyone hyped it up. Really great game. Still need to play the other games of the series though.

Advanced Wars
This was the only Japanese import we had for the Gameboy back in the day. I always thought it was super cool even when I did not understand one word.

Sulik2

I like advance wars and proper 3d Mario. FPS metroid though that is now dead. Probably why I'm not buying another Nintendo console, I don't care about their franchises enough to bother anymore.

The bolded is highest of tiers.

Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Fire Emblem
Kid Icarus
Kirby
The Legend of Zelda
Mario
Metroid
Mother
Pikmin
Pokémon
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.

BDGAME

Every serie that have a version for N64.

Wave Race, Mario, Pilot Wings, Excite, Pokémon, Zelda, Kirby, Mario Kart, Golf, Tennis, 1080, Star Fox, F-zero, Donkey Kong, and any other that I don't remember now.

Mario (including MK)
Pokémon
Zelda
Golden Sun
SSB

I'd consider returning to the likes of Metroid given the right development direction, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

The others I don't have a terribly strong interest in.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The ones I already care for:
Zelda
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart

I'm interested in:
Splatoon
Mario Soccer (please come back)
Metroid
Smash Bros.

VDenter

Banned
Super Mario
Metroid
Zelda
F Zero
Animal Crossing
Donkey Kong
Kid Icarus
Kirby
Mario Kart
Pikmin
Punch-Out
Star Fox
Super Smash Bros.
Splatoon
Paper Mario
Eternal Darkness
In a alternative timeline ;(

Lady Gaia

There are only a handful of titles that I'd consider myself a consistent fan of. Games whose main entries that are worth picking up on consoles just to see where Nintendo has taken the franchise: Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Metroid. Each are deep, reliable franchises.

Then there are series that have a lot of potential and occasionally produce something memorable. I'll usually check previews and reviews out to see whether they're worth my time: Mario and Donkey Kong.

Lastly, there are franchises with potential that have failed to live up to their potential. I have some fond thoughts about them, but it would take some significant changes to draw me in: Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Pokemon.

Just Pokemon for me.

Not that I don't like their other games just that I don't go out of my way to play them or in the case of Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Mario Party; I won't play unless I have people over. I like Zelda, 2D/3D Mario, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing but I don't get excited about any of them. Never played Xenoblade but would probably like it.

UraMallas

From list in OP, 11 to some degree.

Metroid
Zelda
Mario

In that order. I won't buy a Switch until those three are represented. Never did buy a Wii U because that trifecta was never fully realized.

Top Bottom