• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Nintendo Killed Ryujinx; an analysis of what is going on

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Amazing progress they are doing, they almost took property of all code by replacing links and names. All with a broken pipeline and useful commit messages.

y0P3hFj.png
🤷‍♂️

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Nintendo didn't want to look like a bunch of pathetic losers when their new console still can't do proper 1080p in 2024 while the emulators did their games at 4k60.

Real time image of a Nintendo engineer at work:

j3rlJcT.jpeg

Maybe send some of that lawsuit money to the R&D team,maybe they can finally figure out full hd after 10 years.

yeah I'm ranting cuz I'm salty right now, #FuckNintendo
With Switch 2 being built on Switch technology for backward compatability, I think there was a very real worry that a Switch 2 emulator could be developed rather quickly using the foundation laid by Yuzu and Ryujinx.

Of course this happened to the GBA, there were emulators out literally before the system even launched, and I seem to recall the GBA somehow managed to do okay, so emulation probably isn't as big of a threat as Nintendo likes to pretend.

FeralEcho

With Switch 2 being built on Switch technology for backward compatability, I think there was a very real worry that a Switch 2 emulator could be developed rather quickly using the foundation laid by Yuzu and Ryujinx.

Of course this happened to the GBA, there were emulators out literally before the system even launched, and I seem to recall the GBA somehow managed to do okay, so emulation probably isn't as big of a threat as Nintendo likes to pretend.
Yup, it's just a case of Nintendo being petty.

As I already said to my bro NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt this won't change anything in the grand scheme of things for Switch or Switch 2... Anyone who uses emulation for piracy won't suddenly go out and shell 400$ + 60$ on each new release to play the games they are already hard wired to get for "free". In the end this shit will only hurt the people that already buy their games and want to play them on emulation for better performance since the Switch is ancient in tech at this point. The perception of Nintendo will only get worse with time if they continue like this while they won't gain shit from it.

SF Kosmo

As I already said to my bro NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt this won't change anything in the grand scheme of things for Switch or Switch 2... Anyone who uses emulation for piracy won't suddenly go out and shell 400$ + 60$ on each new release to play the games they are already hard wired to get for "free". In the end this shit will only hurt the people that already buy their games and want to play them on emulation for better performance since the Switch is ancient in tech at this point. The perception of Nintendo will only get worse with time if they continue like this
Companies often think if they remove the piracy option, would-be pirates will buy their games. The reality is, most of those people will just pirate different games, because they don't want to or can't pay for games.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan

As I already said to my bro NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt this won't change anything in the grand scheme of things for Switch or Switch 2... Anyone who uses emulation for piracy won't suddenly go out and shell 400$ + 60$ on each new release to play the games they are already hard wired to get for "free". In the end this shit will only hurt the people that already buy their games and want to play them on emulation for better performance since the Switch is ancient in tech at this point. The perception of Nintendo will only get worse with time if they continue like this while they won't gain shit from it.

Yeah it's gonna to be interesting when the Switch 2 is announced. I don't expect PS5 Level graphics but I expect the graphics to be around PS4/Steamdeck paired with modern hardware. And I find it interesting how Nintendo is doing this now đź‘€

And as for ancient, I still game on PS4 and my current PC build are considered ancient by today's standards and they still run games fine. So I'm fine with the Switch 2 being around PS4 level when it comes to specs

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm surprised ryujinx caved, Brazilian legal system is not as the US, Nintendo would have to pay his lawyers at the end.
Its still a major headache to go through, we have no idea what kind of case nintendo would try to make against them either (likely not a strong one since they choose this route). If they tried to claim emulation itself is ilegal, the guy would be basically shouldering the entirety of the emulation scene on his shoulders and no one in that space wants that kind of pressure on their lives.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I used emulation myself in the past so I know very well how's the scale of piracy is with these kinda things so it makes sense for Nintendo not wanting day zero pirated games on their newly released system.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Companies often think if they remove the piracy option, would-be pirates will buy their games.

The defense of emulators is that there is a single legal use (someone backing up their own games and wanting to play it without using the original media) it should overcome any of the illegal usages. From Nintendo point of view, if just a single of those pirates-wannabe could have bought the console had emulation not been that easy then it's a battle worth fighting. Besides, Nintendo needs to protect the system, developers don't want their games leaked and played by free. So, Nintendo is also getting the bad press in the name of other companies.

FeralEcho

The defense of emulators is that there is a single legal use (someone backing up their own games and wanting to play it without using the original media) it should overcome any of the illegal usages. From Nintendo point of view, if just a single of those pirates-wannabe could have bought the console had emulation not been that easy then it's a battle worth fighting. Besides, Nintendo needs to protect the system, developers don't want their games leaked and played by free. So, Nintendo is also getting the bad press in the name of other companies.
To be fair,Nintendo's using those same emulators they're thoroughly against to promote their paid Nintendo Online Subscription services. They are literally selling you the ability to emulate your old games on your new console which shows exactly how petty and hypocritical they are.

Like ok...Fine,you want to stop pirates from using emulators for piracy I can understand but then provide these emulators that are clearly available on the switch for your paying customers to play their old purchases from the previous e-shop without paygating them by a subscription!

If you can't provide that as a company when you clearly have the means to do so then you can kindly fuck off!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I heared that Nintendo is going to start releasing games on PC that’s why they are crashing out on Emulation right now. I’m hearing this is suppose to happen in 2026.
Hope your uncle is OK after smuggling that information out

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Nintendo getting a head start on the next generation. Gotta make sure the game preservationists aren't getting any bright ideas about preserving brand new Switch 2 games.

Yup, the timing is pretty much around the Switch 2 inevitable reveal.

It must mean that Switch 2 is so close to Switch 1 for compatibility that the emulators would run switch 2 games almost week 1.

Yeah it sounds like they struck a deal of some sort.
They've never done this, have they?

My guess is it was "close down and say nothing about this pending lawsuit or we will attempt to take you to court for facilitating people's ability to play Zelda early."

When Zelda launched Australia before other regions, Ryujinx immediately permitted support for it in their Discord.

SF Kosmo

They've never done this, have they?
No, but they likely didn't have the same kind of leverage they had with Yuzu, where they were openly pirating games on discord. Yuzu were highly motivated to settle and agree to Nintendo's terms because they could have faced actually jail time.

Ryujinx would have been a much harder case for Nintendo to litigate and even if they were successful it might not have had the outcome Nintendo was looking for, which is ownership of the code. So it makes sense that they might take a more "carrot or stick" posture.

Last edited:

Trilobit

This is an example that could give Nintendo a strong case on banning Switch emulators.

Not only its a thinly veil in piracy but he is actually saying it can "murder" the Switch.

I honestly have no idea how people are shocked that Nintendo is going after people who make it possible to play pirated Switch games on better hardware. You can of course say that if you buy the game and create your own ROM and you own a Switch, even though you play on PC/ROG Ally, then there's no issue and I agree personally. But from Nintendo's point of view this makes it very easy to pirate games and makes it possible to not have to deal with the Switch's antipiracy software. Nintendo doesn't own IPs, they are their IPs. Unlike Sony or Microsoft, Nintendo lives and dies with their games and consoles so they have to be extremely protective to be able to survive long-term. That includes not allowing people to make fan-games. Once again, from a gamer POV I don't agree with Nintendo, but from a business POV it makes 100% sense to act as they do, especially with how copyright/trademark/IP laws work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom