• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Nintendo Killed Ryujinx; an analysis of what is going on

You got any hard evidence to back that up, or ?
Today on The People's Court

Arsic Arsic says he has photographic evidence of millions of people using emulators for piracy.

The evidence in question? Photos of the number of downloads from rom websites.

Photos show that Breath of The Wild has been downloaded 350 million times by 350 million people.

For reference the The United States has a population of about 350 million.

In light of this new evidence what will Pejo Pejo say? Will he acuse Arsic Arsic of photoshopping the evidence?

The People's Court will return after a word from our Sponsor.

Concord tears. Buy 100% authentic tears cried by Sony executives after learning they lost $400 million.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

How is saying one hardware is better than the other something that can give nintendo a "strong case"? And guy barely talks about emulation here.

Come on, we all know what he is implying here. Even if you "think" he doesn't say it, the Nintendo's lawyers can easily explain it in a way that will get the court to agree with them.

Nintendo knows they have a strong case and every Switch emulator creators know this.

Hoddi

It's disappointing but this is just a delay. There will be other emulators in 5-10 years so the preservation aspect won't be an issue once Nintendo has newer systems out.

But I just want to play games at high res/framerate. Switch 2 genuinely needs to support DLSS because their current games look dreadful on modern TVs and I can't keep my 1080p set forever.

nkarafo

This only shows how fucked up the justice system is. Doesn't matter if you are on the right, what matters is that you have enough money and the mental strength/patience to go through a ridiculously expensive, nerve racking, time wasting lawsuit that may even take years to resolve.

Nintendo knows this and they also know small homebrew developers and hobbyists are not like the Bleem company who had the money to defend their case and win.

I lost all the remaining respect i had for Nintendo at this point. No more money of mine will ever go their way.

using emulation to steal games
Some people also use computers to develop these emulators. Heck, they don't even need emulators, they can still "steal" other games via piracy.

People also use knives to hurt other people.

I guess we have to ban computers and kitchen knives then.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Nintendo is also on the verge of killing Retro Game Corps, a YouTube channel focused on handhelds and emulation, just because he puts out videos under fair use where he shows off some Nintendo games and characters running on different handhelds. He doesn't talk about piracy or how to find games, and always shows off in the video that he owns the particular game he is showcasing, yet Nintendo copyright strikes him. He draws huge attention to Nintendo and a lot of that interest probably results in a lot of game sales, but Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about the potential uptick and positive buzz and word of mouth regarding their brand, if it's about emulation you can count on getting royally fucked.
That sucks. Retro Game Corps is an awesome channel. Got my Powkiddy X55 cause of his review. For $95 shipped its an amazing deal. Guy put together extensive guide on his website just forr that one handheld. Fuck Nintendo.

HL3.exe

I would really like it if Nintendo released their games on PC even they depended on special hardware like having to buy a controller so they can be played like in the console with no difference
Custom hardware sound neat for experimental game-design, I agree. But that hasn't been necessary for awhile, as you play every game (when emulated) with a third-party controller, it turns out.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Today on The People's Court

Arsic Arsic says he has photographic evidence of millions of people using emulators for piracy.

The evidence in question? Photos of the number of downloads from rom websites.

Photos show that Breath of The Wild has been downloaded 350 million times by 350 million people.

For reference the The United States has a population of about 350 million.

In light of this new evidence what will Pejo Pejo say? Will he acuse Arsic Arsic of photoshopping the evidence?

The People's Court will return after a word from our Sponsor.

Concord tears. Buy 100% authentic tears cried by Sony executives after learning they lost $400 million.

Michael Jackson Halloween GIF by Vevo

BlackTron

You got any hard evidence to back that up, or ?

To be fair, common sense is a thing. Anecdotal white-knight gaffers who take a picture of their stack of physical games they've made backups up is the 1%.

I'm not saying this means common sense is adequate proof to take legal action, but we should still have it.

Nintendo is also on the verge of killing Retro Game Corps, a YouTube channel focused on handhelds and emulation, just because he puts out videos under fair use where he shows off some Nintendo games and characters running on different handhelds. He doesn't talk about piracy or how to find games, and always shows off in the video that he owns the particular game he is showcasing, yet Nintendo copyright strikes him. He draws huge attention to Nintendo and a lot of that interest probably results in a lot of game sales, but Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about the potential uptick and positive buzz and word of mouth regarding their brand, if it's about emulation you can count on getting royally fucked.

This is what pisses me off. I think they have a reason to attack Palworld but not this guy. He hasn't done a single thing neither illegal nor harming to their business, and is just a guy. Come on Nintendo. I would love for someone they perceive as weak to bite back and make them think twice about how it will go next time.

Dr.D00p

I would change this to "it's mostly used for piracy", as it paints an accurate picture.

Rom dumps are used for piracy, jail broken Switches with flash carts are used for piracy.

Emulators are not used for piracy.

I have downloaded Switch roms for use with emulators.

Do you know how much money Nintendo has lost from me, for doing that?

Not a single fucking penny because if the emulator didn't exist I simply wouldn't bother buying a Switch console & its games.

Their games are curiosity for me, getting emulators up and running is a bit of fun, nothing more.

...and Nintendo has incurred no financial loss from me.

If Nintendo want to stop emulation being so easy on their platforms they should stop being a bunch of cheap cunts, using outdated, off the shelf components only fit for running a fucking smart fridge, that present very little technical challenge to the coders.

I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, it's a self inflicted problem.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Obviously a difference of opinion on the definition of 'piracy'.

I don't consider it piracy if Nintendo doesn't lose out on $60 by me playing one of their games on my PC for a few hours, because like I said, without an emulator, that wouldn't make me go out and buy a Switch Console to buy and play their games.

Piracy isn't causing financial loss through pirating a game. Piracy is just...pirating a game. Whether you think that makes it acceptable is a different story.

"Your honor, no violation took place because at the moment it occurred, I was operating under my own definition of it."

I mean you literally said emulators are not used for piracy and then immediately stated you use emulators to play downloaded ROMs. The thing is you also said that ROM dumps or broken switches are used for piracy, but under your own definition using the ROM dump was not piracy so long as you were never going to buy the game.

What a self massaging word salad.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Sadly I am aware. I’ve chatted with Retro Game Corps about it. Super nice dude who does everything right. I didn’t mention it in a vid as it just draws more attention to the target on him and I’d hate to see him lose his channel when he’s wholly in the right
Nintendo Ninjas:

Ninja GIF by Walk Off The Earth

Porcile

I'm banking on there being an emulator and an easy way (I believe there might already be a piece of hardware that does it) of ripping physical Switch carts to a PC in the future.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Piracy isn't causing financial loss through pirating a game. Piracy is just...pirating a game. Whether you think that makes it acceptable is a different story.

"Your honor, no violation took place because at the moment it occurred, I was operating under my own definition of it."

I mean you literally said emulators are not used for piracy and then immediately stated you use emulators to play downloaded ROMs. The thing is you also said that ROM dumps or broken switches are used for piracy, but under your own definition using the ROM dump was not piracy so long as you were never going to buy the game.

A lot of these guys have a Robinhood Complex. Helps them reconcile their entitlement.

SaintALia

Yeah, as much as I support game preservation and emulation in general, there is a sort of dishonesty about it that I don't like.

Games should be preserved and emulation should be pursued and roms dumped. NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO THAT EMULATION OR ROMSET. People like to just dance around the fact that the majority of people who emulate and use roms are using it for piracy. It's just a sad fact about the emulation scene. Most people don't give a rat's ass about game preservatio, they just want to play those games and some even think they're owed it because they can't get it otherwise.

But game preservation still needs to be pursued.

CS Lurker

Let's see how many ROMs have been on your hard drives, shall we.

According to you, even if I had 1000 ROMs of games that I don't actually own in any way, it wouldn't be piracy as long as I would come here and affirm that Nintendo didn't lose a penny from me downloading their games, as I didn't have any intention to buy anything from them anyway.

You can pirate games as much as you want, just don't try to come here and change its definitions.

Dr.D00p

According to you, even if I had 1000 ROMs of games that I don't actually own in any way, it wouldn't be piracy as long as I would come here and affirm that Nintendo didn't lose a penny from me downloading their games, as I didn't have any intention to buy anything from them anyway.

You can pirate games as much as you want, just don't try to come here and change its definitions.

So, lots then.

Thought so.

SoraNoKuni

Well it's existential for Nintendo since their consoles are low powered, meaning if the switch 2 is pretty much based on existing architectures(arm) sdks then soon enough ryujinx/yuzu could emulate their games on android phones and steam deck like devices.

Which is almost like having a switch, and better.

Guilty_AI

Come on, we all know what he is implying here. Even if you "think" he doesn't say it, the Nintendo's lawyers can easily explain it in a way that will get the court to agree with them.

Nintendo knows they have a strong case and every Switch emulator creators know this.
No? He explicitly says he isn't interested in retro gaming and doesn't know much about it, he also uses different libraries as points of comparison. He's just comparing handheld devices.

VGEsoterica

Well it's existential for Nintendo since their consoles are low powered, meaning if the switch 2 is pretty much based on existing architectures(arm) sdks then soon enough ryujinx/yuzu could emulate their games on android phones and steam deck like devices.

Which is almost like having a switch, and better.
Yes in essence Nintendo knows that with the Switch 2 being advanced but still derivative architecture compared to OG Switch it gives software emulation coders a leg up day 1. Still wouldn't be easy but the work they've already done would be foundational

Ponderling

First yuzu now ryujinx, this whole thing sucks.
They were pure electric for the emulation community, imagine playing current gen releases of Zelda, Mario and Metroid games within days at higher res and fps! it was amazing.
Put the source code on ice and be patient my friends, for these emulators will be back in some form I guarantee it.
Emulation is a retrospective hobby after all and this has been a curiously awesome anomaly.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
First yuzu now ryujinx, this whole thing sucks.
They were pure electric for the emulation community, imagine playing current gen releases of Zelda, Mario and Metroid games within days at higher res and fps! it was amazing.
Put the source code on ice and be patient my friends, for these emulators will be back in some form I guarantee it.
Emulation is a retrospective hobby after all and this has been a curiously awesome anomaly.
Yuzu went nowhere. It's called Suyu and has its own site and open development.

Top Bottom