• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
+1 for Microcenter. I'm no pro at this stuff (I've only built 1 PC, 2 years ago) but when I was looking up parts, Microcenter had every single one of them cheaper than Newegg. I love Newegg, but that's just how it was.

kpx0 said:
dont see the need for the 2500/2600k for gaming... im running an i3 2100 (got for $100 with motherboard at microcenter) with a $140 radeon 6850 and pretty much every game ive thrown at it flies at 1920x1200
Glad to hear that you like this build. I've been considering this my-self. Through combos and coupons I was able to get a price of under $650 (w/ windows and a z68 mb). I've read where the i3 2100 out performs both the Phenom X4 955 and 965, so for the money it would be a bit better buy. My thinking is that I can get a i5 2500k down the road when it's cheaper. At that point I'll hopefully know what I'm doing and be ready to OC.

What sucks about microcenter is that most of their cpus are instore pick only. I don't have one anywhere close to me.

Leonsito

Just noticed that there is a Rev 3.1 of the P8P67 PRO, the controller for the USB 3.0 has changed:

REV 3.0 – NEC USB 3.0 controllers
REV 3.1 – ASMedia USB 3.0 controllers

Mashing

Smokey said:
Yeah microcenter is hawt

I got about half of my pieces from microcenter and the other half from newegg.

Wow, you weren't kidding. I ditched Microcenter a long time ago (because of their prices), but I just checked their prices and they are way cheaper (even with tax) than Newegg is (and I don't have to worry about shipping as I can just drive over to their location).

Raide

Quick question. My PC died a month or two back and I am stuck between just replacing the MB and making do, or building another system. Its only the MB that has died.

Just wondering if the e8400 is still ok for normal stuff or should I just get a new set that is future proof for the i5+ stuff. I don't use it for games really, since I am still rolling with an 8800gt. :D

Cheers!

MedIC86

Raide said:
Quick question. My PC died a month or two back and I am stuck between just replacing the MB and making do, or building another system. Its only the MB that has died.

Just wondering if the e8400 is still ok for normal stuff or should I just get a new set that is future proof for the i5+ stuff. I don't use it for games really, since I am still rolling with an 8800gt. :D

Cheers!

just replace the mobo then if you dont need it for games really, a good rule to upgrade is only do it when programs you use are not working properly because of the HW.

MedIC86

Salaadin said:
Has there been any word floating around about a release time for AMD 7000 series gpu?

Im not sure but i havent even seen a roadmap from AMD about the Q3 + 4 gpu's. i could be wrong tho, so if you need a new GPU now is a good a time as any.

Raide

MedIC86 said:
just replace the mobo then if you dont need it for games really, a good rule to upgrade is only do it when programs you use are not working properly because of the HW.

I am sure I would use a PC for gaming more if it was a good spec but then I am sure I would only end up playing WoW or Diablo 3. :D

I was toying with making a barebones SSD system and slowly upgrade it. I really hate picking graphics cards :p

NinjaKixx

Banned
Trying to get some help from people here. Got a GTX 580 this weekend and on Bad Company 2 every so often my FPS will drop from the 90's to the 40's for a couple minutes, then it will go back to normal. I look in MSI Afterburner and see my card is only running at 50%. I check my CPU (Phenom 2 x6 1075T overclocked to 3.6) and see it is running at around 80%. Doesnt seem to be a bottleneck correct? I updated to the witcher 2 beta drivers (275.27 i believe) pretty much immediately after installing card.

CaLe

Cheech said:
You will be super pleased with that dual 6870. First thing I did was a Crysis playthrough. The game still looks stunning, and is even better on "Very High". I think I tuned one or two things down to get a fairly steady 55-60 fps. Shit looks photo real at times.

Wow, awesome ! This reassures me :)

I was still debating on if I did the right move, but I'm glad I did now. I already had a 6870, so adding another one only cost around 180$, which seemed a great deal considering all the benchmarks that I've seen (they even beat a single GTX 580).

the wait is finally over

xfx just called and said they would mail me another 6950 (I can still flash it to a 6970 right? or was that shit finally stopped)

it is probably coming on wednesday or thursday...almost an entire month. ughhh

Smokey

ph33nix said:
the wait is finally over

xfx just called and said they would mail me another 6950 (I can still flash it to a 6970 right? or was that shit finally stopped)

it is probably coming on wednesday or thursday...almost an entire month. ughhh
I think they stopped that with the newer boards. Could be wrong though.

Smokey said:
I think they stopped that with the newer boards. Could be wrong though.

Yeah I remember there was talk about this that's why I asked. I don't think the difference was totally astounding so if I can't do it, I'm alright with it...but damn. It's almost been a month. No wonder I've been thinking crazy thoughts in the last week.

Patita

Neo Member
MedIC86 said:
check my guide in the op

Cday said:
One thing you can do to save space is to lower the amount of space system restore takes up.

Start > left click Computer > System Protection > Configure

Another thing is to make sure TRIM is enabled. To make sure:
Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

If it says 0 then TRIM is enabled if it says 1 then it's disabled. If you ever need to format an SSD just quick format and never defrag an SSD.

Edit: There's actually all of this and more in the 2nd post of this thread.

Thank you guys I already know these. Is there anything else? and what's about steam and games on HDD? I'm really confused about the OS on SSD and games on HDD!

one more thing about INF: which one is better: downloading the latest release from Intel site or an older one from the motherboard manufacture?

knitoe

Patita said:
Thank you guys I already know these. Is there anything else? and what's about steam and games on HDD? I'm really confused about the OS on SSD and games on HDD!

one more thing about INF: which one is better: downloading the latest release from Intel site or an older one from the motherboard manufacture?
I just put all my steam stuff on the HDD, but as far as I can tell, you put the steam program on the SDD and shortcut to games on HDD. Thus, steam should load fast being on a SSD, but games still load at HDD speeds.

The drivers directly from Intel are usually newer and better.

Le-mo

I just bought my new 6850 Radeon card and case fan for my cpu from Amazon with express delivery. I can't wait to see the difference with gaming.

mkenyon

Banned
Bought a 5870 off a friend for x-fire and eyefinity. However, I can't fit two in my CM Scout, so it's time for a case upgraydde. I've narrowed my choices between these 4, leaning heavily toward the V1200.

Lian Li X900
Pros - Can mount a rad in the front if I upgrade to watercooling, my dream case. Aluminum, low weight.
Cons - Cost, and that's about it.

Lian Li V1200
Pros - Flip mounted mobo meaning graphics cards on top with direct fan. Near perfect layout. Aluminum, low weight for size.
Cons - Super long, lack of window to show off the goods (I go to LAN events, so as e-peen as that is, its important to me).

Corsair 650D
Pros - Great layout and design, great cooling.
Cons - Not as pretty as the other 3 to me, lack of a good internal rad solution.

Corsiar 600T White
Pros - So pretty. Good design, great price.
Cons - Not as good airflow/cooling as the other three.

Hmmmm, thinking about going with a GTX 570 instead of a GTX 580. Save over $100.00 and the performance is still excellent. I'm not balling out of control like Smokey and may not be able to afford the 580. :(

I want to upgrade my current entry level videocard (stock 512MB GT220), but my case is a Micro ATX one, and I am PSU constrained (by all accounts, I shouldn't even be running this card on a 220W PSU). Is there any hope for me, regarding a possibility of finding a better GPU that will fit in that cramped space and possibly with a minimal PSU upgrade? (PSU form factor is also an issue).

Thanks in advance for your input.

mkenyon

Banned
SteelAttack said:
I want to upgrade my current entry level videocard (stock 512MB GT220), but my case is a Micro ATX one, and I am PSU constrained (by all accounts, I shouldn't even be running this card on a 220W PSU). Is there any hope for me, regarding a possibility of finding a better GPU that will fit in that cramped space and possibly with a minimal PSU upgrade? (PSU form factor is also an issue).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Depends entirely on your case and what you can fit in there. You should probably upgrade your PSU though.

Salaadin

MedIC86 said:
Im not sure but i havent even seen a roadmap from AMD about the Q3 + 4 gpu's. i could be wrong tho, so if you need a new GPU now is a good a time as any.

I dont really need, just wondering. I might be upgrading my 5850 if the next line of cards is worth it. We'll see. Thanks for the reply.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
black_vegeta said:
Hmmmm, thinking about going with a GTX 570 instead of a GTX 580. Save over $100.00 and the performance is still excellent. I'm not balling out of control like Smokey and may not be able to afford the 580. :(

baby you barely need a potato to run AE on max.

TheExodu5

Banned
black_vegeta said:

If you want even better value you could go with the 6950 2GB for another $100 less.

Then again, I'm a sucker for that Asus DirectCu II GTX 570, and would totally get that.

mkenyon said:
Bought a 5870 off a friend for x-fire and eyefinity. However, I can't fit two in my CM Scout, so it's time for a case upgraydde. I've narrowed my choices between these 4, leaning heavily toward the V1200.

Lian Li X900
Pros - Can mount a rad in the front if I upgrade to watercooling, my dream case. Aluminum, low weight.

Lian Li V1200
Pros - Flip mounted mobo meaning graphics cards on top with direct fan. Near perfect layout. Aluminum, low weight for size.
Cons - Super long, lack of window to show off the goods (I go to LAN events, so as e-peen as that is, its important to me).

Corsair 650D
Cons - Not as pretty as the other 3 to me, lack of a good internal rad solution.

Corsiar 600T White

I don't know the others, but I assembled the pc for my father with the 600T:

great case, but keep in mind that it's actually huge. I think that I've seen full tower smaller than the 600t.

It really has everything you need, all the space you want and a good quality overall.
I have no reason to not recommend it except if you have little space under the desk.

edit
Disclaimer : I know nothing about watercooling, so I can't really comment on that aspect if you are interested. I just used a CM hyper 212+

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:

Lian Li X900

Lian Li V1200

Corsair 650D

Corsiar 600T White

That Lian-Li V1200 looks interesting...but then, you could just the FT02 instead. You would get to show off your goods as well. Might be too big and bulky for a lan box, though.

MesserWolf said:
I don't know the others, but I assembled the pc for my father with the 600T:

great case, but keep in mind that it's actually huge. I think that I've seen full tower smaller than the 600t.

It really has everything you need, all the space you want and a good quality overall.
I have no reason to not recommend it except if you have little space under the desk.

edit
Disclaimer : I know nothing about watercooling, so I can't really comment on that aspect if you are interested. I just used a CM hyper 212+
forgot to say that if you go to lan party perhaps you are better off with a aluminium case. 600T is not light either.

Anyway I am extremely satisfied by the 600T :)

mkenyon said:
Corsiar 600T White
That version of the 600T lets you put fans on the side panel, so that should bring make the cooling on-par or better than the other 3. The 600T is super easy to assemble and I love that it's not super flashy.

Corky said:
baby you barely need a potato to run AE on max.

AE would be the last thing running on my PC. More geared console play imo.

TheExodu5 said:
If you want even better value you could go with the 6950 2GB for another $100 less.

Then again, I'm a sucker for that Asus DirectCu II GTX 570, and would totally get that.

Nvidia has a few more features I like than AMD. Now, it's either the Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCu GTX 570

jarosh

wow, i'm so out of the loop. it's been almost 2 years since i built my last system... maybe you guys can help me out a bit?

so the sandy bridge cpus have integrated gpus. are these making them more expensive than they need to be for gaming, since the gpus are pretty much useless from what i can tell? or is this what everyone's buying now?

i'm looking at the i5 760 (a lynnfield) and the 2500k. both the same price (~$209). any reason to get the lynnfield over the sandy bridge one? the i7's are too fucking expensive. well, EXCEPT the 950 (at ~$269), which is a bloomfield, but if it outperformed those i5s above significantly i wouldn't mind paying a bit more, but that's my upper limit.

so, really: i5 760, i5 2500k or i7 950?

edit: what about amd? do we talk about amd cpus? viable option these days?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
jarosh said:

the 2500k

also amd benchs should be out soonish

Leonsito

jarosh said:
wow, i'm so out of the loop. it's been almost 2 years since i built my last system... maybe you guys can help me out a bit?

so the sandy bridge cpus have integrated gpus. are these making them more expensive than they need to be for gaming, since the gpus are pretty much useless from what i can tell? or is this what everyone's buying now?

i'm looking at the i5 760 (a lynnfield) and the 2500k. both the same price (~$209). any reason to get the lynnfield over the sandy bridge one? the i7's are too fucking expensive. well, EXCEPT the 950 (at ~$269), which is a bloomfield, but if it outperformed those i5s above significantly i wouldn't mind paying a bit more, but that's my upper limit.

Go for the 2500k.

TheExodu5

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Nvidia has a few more features I like than AMD. Now, it's either the Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCu GTX 570

The Asus is nicer, IMO, but it also uses up that extra slot, and the added weight might make it sag a bit more than the Twin Frozr (which is also heavy enough to sag vs. regular cards).

Both cards are reliant on decent case airflow, since they dump about half of their hot air within the case itself, so keep that in mind.

jarosh

appreciate the input. thanks. can you guys elaborate a tiny bit on why you think the 2500k is the best option? is the i7 950 not worth it for an extra 60 bucks? and i assume the i5 760 just performs worse...?

Smokey

black_vegeta said:
570 is still sweet. I have a mental issue of always wanting top end stuff so don't mind me! I'm pretty sure you could OC a good 570 card to 580 speeds. And ASUS still has a DCII model for the 570. I love the 580 version...usually get 33-35 C when idle and in the 50s or so when playing a game.

jarosh said:
appreciate the input. thanks. can you guys elaborate a tiny bit on why you think the 2500k is the best option? is the i7 950 not worth it for an extra 60 bucks? and i assume the i5 760 just performs worse...?
If you plan on buying a relatively high end CPU you should not be putting that money toward an AMD s-AM3 or Intel s-1156/s-1366 product.

Currently, an Intel s-1155 CPU, like the new Core i5 2500K, is your best overall choice. In a few months you should be able to add Intel's upcoming s-2011 and AMD's s-AM3+ CPUs to that list.

TheExodu5 said:
The Asus is nicer, IMO, but it also uses up that extra slot, and the added weight might make it sag a bit more than the Twin Frozr (which is also heavy enough to sag vs. regular cards).

Both cards are reliant on decent case airflow, since they dump about half of their hot air within the case itself, so keep that in mind.

Alright, I believe my Lancool K62 case should provide enough airflow. It has 2 exhaust fans on top and 1 in back. Also has 1 intake in front, although I've seen a few folks add another intake fan in front which I may do to provide more cold air coming through.

Also, does the sagging of these 2 cards do any damage to the motherboard in the long run??

Smokey said:
570 is still sweet. I have a mental issue of always wanting top end stuff so don't mind me! I'm pretty sure you could OC a good 570 card to 580 speeds. And ASUS still has a DCII model for the 570. I love the 580 version...usually get 33-35 C when idle and in the 50s or so when playing a game.

Lol, ok. I'm definitely going to go with the 570. I'm already breaking the bank with the current stuff I have. I'm surprised my wife still approves of this, haha.

knitoe

jarosh said:
Clock for clock, the 2500K is faster and you can overclock it much faster. The only thing the i7 950 has over the 2500K is hyperthreading, but if you want that, get a 2600K instead. And, yes, i7 760 is the worse of the 3.

CaLe

Which headphones would you guys recommend for gaming and movie listening on PC ?

I don't mind paying 150-200$ if they're *really* good.

Otherwise, something in the 100$ range can also fit the bill.

I'd hate to have a capable new rig, but sub-par headphones. :)

I have the Sennheiser HD 595 in sight, but I can't find it at a reasonable price here in Canada.

Thanks

cackhyena

jarosh said:
I find that this amount of time is considered a long stretch by any means to be ridiculous and depressing. It's no wonder there are so many turned off by the idea of jumping in. I for one can't keep up with that kind of cycle.

Izayoi

Banned
NinjaKixx said:
Trying to get some help from people here. Got a GTX 580 this weekend and on Bad Company 2 every so often my FPS will drop from the 90's to the 40's for a couple minutes, then it will go back to normal. I look in MSI Afterburner and see my card is only running at 50%. I check my CPU (Phenom 2 x6 1075T overclocked to 3.6) and see it is running at around 80%. Doesnt seem to be a bottleneck correct? I updated to the witcher 2 beta drivers (275.27 i believe) pretty much immediately after installing card.
Poor drivers maybe? Try using the latest stable ones instead of the beta.

jarosh said:
2500k performs better clock-for-clock and is able to attain a much higher overclock than the other offerings.

cackhyena said:
I find that this amount of time is considered a long stretch by any means to be ridiculous and depressing. It's no wonder there are so many turned off by the idea of jumping in. I for one can't keep up with that kind of cycle.
I build a new PC every five years, with only a handful of updates in-between. Two years is not necessarily a "long time" in terms of you needing to upgrade, just in terms of fast things change, it is. If you had to upgrade every two years there would be a lot less PC gamers than there are now.

black_vegeta said:
As sOmeone who owns and uses a 570 and 580 Im unable to see any difference at all. They both run everything extremely well. The 570 isn't overclocked, the 580 is.

mkenyon

Banned
cackhyena said:
Does anyone have an educated guess on when the 6970's would drop to around or under 200?
A while after 7970s are out. 5870s just hit that price mark, and it's only every now and then, not a perma thing. So, a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom