• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

mkenyon said:
They're super cheap used here in the states. Want me to ship you one?

Check in your BIOS. Probably put it on a thumbdrive, go into BIOS and select the update option.
Pet peeve... BIOS and UEFI are not the same thing. UEFI is replacing the BIOS.

Usually, you put the ROM at the root of a FAT(32) formatted flash drive. Run the ASUS update utility in the UEFI, and it'll ask you where the ROM is.

After flashing, it's recommended to clear the CMOS and redo your settings.

mkenyon

Banned
I know... I hesitated on posting, but thought I'd use good ol' terminology to make sure there wasn't confusion. A *lot* of people still don't realize that, so just saying UEFI has caused language barriers in other threads I've tried to help in.

Izayoi

Banned
Thanks guys. Yeah, I specifically avoided calling it "UEFI BIOS" because I know it's a BIOS replacement. I will admit that I still said it in my head, though. Going to take a while to get used to the new terminology.

Way easier than flashing my SSD, which looks like it's going to be a huge PITA.

jarosh said:
i could get that one. but the pro one is just sli, why bother? and what makes that intel one so bad? just curious. i'm honestly not sure if i'm ever gonna overclock the cpu anyway...
That Asus M Pro has better cooling and a higher feature set than the standard M. I'd say the price difference is worth it.

The Intel model has really poor power design, which effects things like stability and long term component health/lifespan. There are also components that are exposed that shouldn't be. For the same price of that Intel (assuming VAT and local rates are similar) you can get something like the ASRock Z68 in that link I posted.

Smokey

Domstercool said:
I have a 6990 :)

I figured a junior would always have shit the more vocal posters don't have :p

How do you like it?

Corky said:
Damn gaf is representing, like 99% of all builds here have 580s in em

Give me your money.

I know you're exaggerating but I don't notice that many that have them. A lot have sli or xfire tho.

Van Owen

Banned
Nice, newegg just emailed me a bunch of coupons, one of which was 15% off all desktop RAM. Glad I decided to buy this computer over a few different orders lol.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Hey guys, ihave a question

Im between two videocards which are
- HD radeon 5770
- gtx 550 ti

Both 1 gig

My rig is
- i5@ 2.8 ghz
- 8 gigs RAM
- my actual video card is gt9600

Wat says u GAF?

Of course i want a good card fr gaming and i wouldnt matter of overclOckin it

Thanks!

Patita

Neo Member
knitoe said:
I just put all my steam stuff on the HDD, but as far as I can tell, you put the steam program on the SDD and shortcut to games on HDD. Thus, steam should load fast being on a SSD, but games still load at HDD speeds.

The drivers directly from Intel are usually newer and better.

Thanks but how can I do that?

Paches

Just installed my new (and first ever) SSD and ho-lee shit is this blazing fast. Biggest upgrade I have ever put in to a custom built rig I have built. Highly recommended.

mr2xxx

Banned
dgenx said:
Hey guys, ihave a question

Im between two videocards which are
- HD radeon 5770
- gtx 550 ti

Both 1 gig

My rig is
- i5@ 2.8 ghz
- 8 gigs RAM
- my actual video card is gt9600

Wat says u GAF?

Of course i want a good card fr gaming and i wouldnt matter of overclOckin it

Thanks!

Both those cards are on the weak side, I'd suggest at the very least a GTX 460 768MB or ATI 6850. The price is not that much of a difference.

Mashing

Paches-EJ- said:
Just installed my new (and first ever) SSD and ho-lee shit is this blazing fast. Biggest upgrade I have ever put in to a custom built rig I have built. Highly recommended.

That's my next upgrade for sure. I'll have to read how to get steamapps off the boot drive though.

RoboShmup

Banned
I bought a Radeon 6870 with the rest of my parts yesterday, but reading up it seems that there are a few advantages to having an NVIDIA card for Autodesk Maya and rendering. I'll be doing those things a lot. Is there a really big difference?

I couldn't really find a good price for a GTX card comparable to the 6870. And I got that great deal too (Free shogun and free tv tuner). Should I cancel my order and look for an NVIDIA card or should I not worry?

Edit: Eh, I'm not gonna worry about it. Seems like most people with 6870s don't have problems with it and there's no way I'm getting those recommended Quadro cards that are way expensive. Just gonna relax and let my parts get here :)

Smokey said:
I figured a junior would always have shit the more vocal posters don't have :p

How do you like it?

To be honest I wanted and tried to get a GTX 590, but they are damn near impossible to get without waiting a month or two.

Izayoi said:
No.

Huge bottleneck. It will hold almost all of the newer GPUs back.

I figured as much. Would getting a quad core 775 chip help much, or at this point would I need to get up to a i series cpu. I'd be gaming at 720p

bdizzle said:
I figured as much. Would getting a quad core 775 chip help much, or at this point would I need to get up to a i series cpu. I'd be gaming at 720p
I was in the EXACT same boat. 775 is not where you want to be right now. I saved up and bit the bullet.

i5 2500k
8gigs of ram
and a 460

It was worth every penny.

mkenyon said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26715356&postcount=10527

Basically you have to hope that its working in the first place, which can be a pain. Then, you have to hope that X-fire/SLI drivers are out for whatever game you're playing. In some instances, you actually need to disable it as it can lead to degraded performance. All those horrible thing console gamers like to say about PC is very true when it comes to x-fire and SLI.

Strange, I added a second GTX 470 for SLI just a few months ago and it's been pretty smooth for me. Nvidia lets you create your own custom AA and SLI profiles so if a game doesn't explicitly have support in the drivers (which is very rare now), you can easily create your own profile for it. In general, the only cases where you need to disable SLI due to decreased performance are in severely CPU-bound situations, which is why you don't buy a cheap-ass dual-core CPU and add SLI and expect the world. Obviously you will be buying SLI/CrossFire for high resolutions, if you aren't at least running in 1080p+ you're pissing money down the toilet for SLI, as you will be CPU-bound at anything other than high resolutions and lots of AA. Both SLI and CrossFire demand powerful CPUs backing them, and honestly if you are blowing that much money for 2+ GPUs running in sync, why the hell would you go cheap on the CPU in the first place?

Wallach

Unknown Soldier said:
Newegg are bastards. It's like they have somebody reading this thread, and when they saw that I asked for an SSD deal, they were like let's get this shit up there ASAP and reel this guy in!

Intel 320 series 80GB SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...167049&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-167-049-_-Product

As is usual for the 'Egg, I ordered it and it shipped the same day. They definitely don't delay taking my money even for a day. >:|

I'm thinking about putting my GPU upgrade off since my 5850 still seems to be doing alright and getting an SSD instead. 80GB seems about the right size for a Win7 boot drive eh?

Izayoi

Banned
bdizzle said:
Passive GPU, not meant for gaming at all. I pretty much use it for vm's and streaming media.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
E6550
4GB Patriot DDR2 667
At 720p you could run pretty much everything on max with a lower-end card.

I'm actually not sure what exactly would be best, but as long as you're at 720p the need for you to upgrade even your CPU at this point is pretty low.

Let me look around a little.

Pookaki said:
I was in the EXACT same boat. 775 is not where you want to be right now. I saved up and bit the bullet.

i5 2500k
8gigs of ram
and a 460

It was worth every penny.

Problem is, I'm only building to play Rage lol

Whats the best way to transfer your OS from a HDD to a SSD?

Im assuming its a total re-install thing. It would be great if there was a solution that scoots your Windows install over to another drive.

Also, is it possible to create a Raid of 2 HDDs of different sizes?

Pookaki said:
Whats the best way to transfer your OS from a HDD to a SSD?

Im assuming its a total re-install thing. It would be great if there was a solution that scoots your Windows install over to another drive.

A fresh new Windows install is always faster than porting over an old existing install. If you are hellbent on an OS transfer, you can use drive imaging software to create an image and put it on your new SSD. This can be a hassle TBH, reinstalling Windows is easier, and I can tell you installing Windows is stupid fast on an SSD.

Intel actually includes an SSD Transfer Tool with their SSDs which lets you move your boot drive to your new SSD, if it's an Intel SSD. I've never used it, I cannot say whether it works (well) or not. You can be our guinea pig if you want for that. :3

Also, is it possible to create a Raid of 2 HDDs of different sizes?

RAID only occurs with hard drives of identical size. Smart people use HDDs with identical sizes AND model numbers (from the same manufacturer, obviously).

Izayoi

Banned
Le-mo said:
Gaf I just installed my new video card and now my speaker is outputting static sound. Help?
Move your sound card away from your GPU, if possible.

If you don't have a discrete sound card, locate the audio driver on your motherboard and move your GPU into a slot that's further away.

If that doesn't work, make sure all of your drivers are updated.

If that doesn't work, and you don't have a discrete card already, try borrowing a cheap discrete card from a friend and see if that fixes the problem.

If none of that works, you might want to consider a motherboard that's built a little better. Most higher-end motherboards have built-in protection against interference.

Wallach said:
I'm thinking about putting my GPU upgrade off since my 5850 still seems to be doing alright and getting an SSD instead. 80GB seems about the right size for a Win7 boot drive eh?

80GB is fine for a Windows boot drive + apps. If you want to be stacking some games on the SSD, I would probably go with 120GB or more to be "safe".

Izayoi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
80GB is fine for a Windows boot drive + apps. If you want to be stacking some games on the SSD, I would probably go with 120GB or more to be "safe".
Even 120GB is cutting it close. Doing the math I'm going to need to drop about a half-dozen Steam games to a regular old HDD. It will depend on the person, but if you've got a huge Steam library know that chances are you are you will need either a 240-300GB SSD or you'll need to run it off a mechanical drive.

Fredescu

Unknown Soldier said:
RAID only occurs with hard drives of identical size. Smart people use HDDs with identical sizes AND model numbers (from the same manufacturer, obviously).
Not really true, you can use two different size drives. You will lose the additional capacity of the larger drive though. You can generally mix and match any drives you want, but your speed will be determined by the slowest drive, and your capacity determined by the smallest.

bdizzle said:

If you can find a Q9550 for cheap, I'd say go for it. It's still a totally legitimate gaming CPU.

(That's a huge if though, last time I looked it was more expensive than much better modern CPUs)

mkenyon

Banned
Izayoi said:
Even 120GB is cutting it close. Doing the math I'm going to need to drop about a half-dozen Steam games to a regular old HDD. It will depend on the person, but if you've got a huge Steam library know that chances are you are you will need either a 240-300GB SSD or you'll need to run it off a mechanical drive.
SSD + Samsung Spinpoint F3s in RAID 0 = the way to go. Games go on RAID array.

Izayoi said:

My Steam directory is just over 200GB. I knew going in that I wasn't going to be fitting my Steam directory on any SSD that I could reasonably hope to afford.

My Steam directory currently lives on a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDDs in RAID 0. Yeah, I need 1TB of HDD space to store my games, I'm sad like that. I have no goddamn self-control during the annual Steam Holiday Sales. ; ;

mr stroke

Smokey said:
So does anyone here have a 590 or even a 6990? I know they get shit on but there's gotta be at least one on here that has either.

I have a 6990, but the one game I bought it for(Witcher 2) doesn't currently support it

LOL

:(

golem

Izayoi said:
Download Steamtool and you can move them back and forth

mr stroke said:
I have a 6990, but the one game I bought it for(Witcher 2) doesn't currently support it

LOL

:(

Too bad you didn't get a 590 (non-exploding version). Assuming the game didn't have an SLI profile, which it almost certainly does, you could have created your own for the game. :3

mr stroke

Unknown Soldier said:
Too bad you didn't get a 590 (non-exploding version). Assuming the game didn't have an SLI profile, which it almost certainly does, you could have created your own for the game. :3

That was the reason for getting a 6990 over the 590

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
aww ok guys I will get a gtx 460 1gig.. it better run the Witcher 2 better than my gt9600 OC , and hopefully I wont need a videocard ina long time!

Angst

mkenyon said:
They're super cheap used here in the states. Want me to ship you one?

Check in your BIOS. Probably put it on a thumbdrive, go into BIOS and select the update option.
Thanks for the offer, but I've finally managed to find one here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom