• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jarosh I don't know
Tendo said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QF0VFO/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Is this what I need then?

Also - now that I have a microboard I'd love the idea of a smaller case...the 900 is a beast. How are those Silverstone cases I saw linked above on stock cooling? Would my 260gtx fit?
Look at the top 2 in the OP $600.
GTX260 maybe but it would be super tight if it did fit. That's something you need to google search for on a case by case basis

Tendo

Hazaro said:
jarosh I don't know

Look at the top 2 in the OP $600.
GTX260 maybe but it would be super tight if it did fit. That's something you need to google search for on a case by case basis

You made a pun

Anywho - I just placed my order! I subbed out the HD for the one suggested and got the ASrock mobo from the OP. Thanks for the help guys!

jarosh said:
anyone have some more thoughts on this:

I know nothing about m-atx builds unfortunately, but I can say that my mid-size Thermaltake case is pretty crappy. I got it for $50 brand new, it normally retails for ~$100, and I'm "ok" with how it's treating me for the $50, but God damn I'd be pissed if I'd paid $100. I'm referring to the Thermaltake Blacx V9.

So, I guess my advice is to avoid TT, but I've only had this single experience so take it with a grain of salt.

mandiller said:
What problems?

The Intel 510 is even more expensive than the Crucial and I wasn't even going to originally spend the amount needed for the Crucial. Is it worth it?

The Intel 510 for one is SATAIII compatible, which is a definite plus. The 3rd gen OCZ drives are too, but Intel generally has better QA.

Ezahn

As you may know, I'm building a new gaming PC around a single 580 card + Corsair Tx650 psu.
What do you guys think of the Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Performance mobo?
I can't decide what will be better in the medium run, Fatal1ty P67, Pro3 Z68 or OP's own Extreme4 P67... (even if the double PCI slot would not be useful for me if I stay with a single card setup)

Quick question:

Got all my new components, so will be building my new machine tonight. If I put my old HDD into the new machine, will it boot Windows 7 okay, or will it need to "repair" itself with a copy of the OS again?

Binabik15

jO7wx.jpg

My brother´s haul minus the Xigmatek Midgard midi-tower. And a Cooler Master 212+ that is still in the mail.

I done goofed up, though. The Corsair Vengeance is a single 4 gig stick, even though the pic showed two sticks. Looks like I read everything about it but never noticed the missing 2x2 in the description. Is it even possible to use only a single RAM stick? Send it back and get some 2x2?

Plus I´m a bit peeved that the 6950s were shown as reference cards in the store display

7tRF6.jpg

but we got this

f2YWH.jpg

I mean the option of easy unlocking would´ve been nice, even two CF´d 6950 should tear anything a new one.

n0n44m

yeah you want to get two sticks

these boards are meant for dual-channel memory, single channel will probably decrease your performance quite a bit

Didn't know they sold them in 1 stick packages though :/

Binabik15

Me neither
0WWtn.jpg

Looks like I needed Corsair Vengeance BLUE, which is 2x2. A tiny bit more expensive and didn´t show up when searching for Corsair Vengeance. My brother seems to be a mix of disappointement and "I´ll killyou in your sleep" at the moment.

Stupid webshop with their stupid, misleading pictures.

Edit: Wow, the Corsair PSU comes with a pouch? That is seriousy awesome, but holding it with the cables dangling makes you kinda look like a terrorist holding a severed head, because it looks like the bags they use to blind their hostages :p

n0n44m

Binabik15 said:
Me neither
0WWtn.jpg

Looks like I needed Corsair Vengeance BLUE, which is 2x2. A tiny bit more expensive and didn´t show up when searching for Corsair Vengeance. My brother seems to be a mix of disappointement and "I´ll killyou in your sleep" at the moment.

Stupid webshop with their stupid, misleading pictures.

just tell him to spend his lunch money on a second stick

nothing wrong with 8 gig of memory anyway :p

http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-solutions/core-i7-dual-channel-kits.html

any other 2 stick kit will work as well obviously

n0n44m

yeah any Corsair Vengeance should work with them

have 2*4 1866 Vengeance myself on a p8p67 pro

aren't dual stick kits cheaper though?

Skirn

n0n44m said:
yeah any Corsair Vengeance should work with them

have 2*4 1866 Vengeance myself on a p8p67 pro

aren't dual stick kits cheaper though?
Yes they are, but a friend of mine screwed up with his order. Instead of putting a memory kit in the shopping cart, he placed two 1x4GB sticks.

EDIT: Is there a reason why neither Corsair or ASUS has those memory modules as a supported type in their lists?

I just finished building a new rig for bitcoin mining and thought I'd drop in here and recommend a mobo :)

The MSI 890FXA-GD65 truly is the greatest motherboard I've ever purchased for any purpose whatsoever.

• Superb Stability: Military Class Components
• Unlock CPU Core: Unlock hidden CPU core and potential
• DrMOS: Best power efficiency
• Support USB 3.0 AND SATA 6Gb/s
• Lossless 24bit/192kHz HD Audio
DDR3 Memory DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133*(OC)
PCI-Ex16 2
PCI-E Gen Gen2 (2x16)
PCI-Ex1 4
PCI 1
SATAIII 6
USB 3.0 ports (Rear) 2
USB 2.0 ports (Rear) 8

ithorien

mandiller said:
What problems?

The Intel 510 is even more expensive than the Crucial and I wasn't even going to originally spend the amount needed for the Crucial. Is it worth it?

Bumps in the road that cause BSODs, freezes, etc. Worth the extra money if you want stability and no fussing around.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ezahn said:
As you may know, I'm building a new gaming PC around a single 580 card + Corsair Tx650 psu.
What do you guys think of the Asrock Fatal1ty P67 Performance mobo?
I can't decide what will be better in the medium run, Fatal1ty P67, Pro3 Z68 or OP's own Extreme4 P67... (even if the double PCI slot would not be useful for me if I stay with a single card setup)
Unless you plan on adding a 20/40GB SLC SSD I'd go with the tried Pro 4 myself.
mandiller said:
What problems?

Sandforce controller issues (See OP)

The 320 is fine too, but I don't know if it will impress everyone. I have one and it's fine and useful in some areas, but it's a power user item for sure.

Garryk

Been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard. I was about to pull the trigger on a Das keyboard, but Newegg has the Blackwidow Ultimate for $100 today. I read that some people have problems with keys sticking. Any PC-GAFers have experience with either kb?

grkazan12

Hey guys I got a question about the Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 mobo. Everything's been great it's just I cannot get Bluetooth enabled on my board. I downloaded the BT drivers from Asus' Website and the Intel Management Engine Interface and it still doesn't work. It's enabled in Services and in the Bios. IDK should I try updating my BIOS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use it to get Wireless DS3 by using MotionJoy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ezahn said:
Tnx Haz, I take it you were suggesting the tried Extreme4 P67 (the OP one), am I right?
Ya
Garryk said:
Been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard. I was about to pull the trigger on a Das keyboard, but Newegg has the Blackwidow Ultimate for $100 today. I read that some people have problems with keys sticking. Any PC-GAFers have experience with either kb?
I just did 4 hours of reading and research today on this.

My suggestions:
$130 Das Keyboard with blues (less with emailed student discount ~$110) [blue or brown]
$110 Ducky (sold at Tankguys) [blue or brown]
$110 Zowie (Amazon) [brown]

I looked at the Black Widow which is $71 for the base version and while I like it and what is offers, the Razer build quality, firmware crap, and 2KRO cap on less used keys (like Z,X,C) makes me feel like it is a cheaper product.

I'll most likely be buying the DAS as soon as I get a respond on the educational discount.
grkazan12 said:
Hey guys I got a question about the Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0 mobo. Everything's been great it's just I cannot get Bluetooth enabled on my board. I downloaded the BT drivers from Asus' Website and the Intel Management Engine Interface and it still doesn't work. It's enabled in Services and in the Bios. IDK should I try updating my BIOS? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use it to get Wireless DS3 by using MotionJoy.
Do you have the bluetooth icon in your taskbar? It should be launching on startup.
If it is gray you need to click it an turn it on if you haven't.
After it is turned on make sure your computer can be discovered and such in the settings.

I have a brown FILCO and it's great. I've heard good things about Das' build quality, and have had bad experiences with, and read bad things about Razer's build quality, so it's probably more wise to go with the Das if you're paying a lot any ways.

Garryk

Thanks for the feedback. The only negatives I have read about the Das is that some people don't like the glossy finish. I think I could live with that.

Kyaw

Garryk said:

Ducky keyboards with PBT keys seems pretty damn good.
They are good quality boards.

Das and Filco are also very good. Up to you to choose between those three really.

Ezahn

Would it be a huge mistake not to include an aftermarket cooler for my new Extreme4 P67 + i2500k build?
Tell me the truth, Ruth! ^^

Kambing

New user here, account just validated! Been lurking for 2 years, lol.

Just wanted to post in this thread to say thank you for all the discussions that have been made in regards to computer building for inexperienced people and also for all the information that was put into the OP. I was able to build my own kick ass computer 1 month ago all thanks to this thead. Best purchase i have ever done in regards to gaming.

longdi

Banned
jarosh said:
ok wait wait wait wait wait

3680_99.png

you're meant to put optical drives in sideways...? wtf! who thought that was a good idea? and why doesn't that seem to be bothering anyone? am i missing something? that's the lian li v352 btw. the 354 seems to have fixed that.

used to have one v351, looks better than v352 imo. never had an issue with the sideway optical drive, quite convenient if placed on you desk besides you. it is more boxy than your other 2 choices, but being made of full aluminium, very nice and cool to touch. get the v351 or v350, looks much more classy. silverstone ft03 or sg03 would have the same matx class look.

you need to plan your build first as matx cases need certain build order. if you are working on v351, for additional hsf power, scythe zipang or noctua c14 works great, change the fan direction upwards. change the front 2 fans to scythe gt ap15.

speaking from experience, matx casing are cool if you not the geek who loves to push your system hard. matx have some bad heat buildup.

Arnie

What thermal paste do people recommend for the 212? I need to order some and I don't know exactly what to choose. Is it also complicated to apply? This will be my first gaming PC I'm building with my brother.

TheExodu5

Banned
^ Either use what's included, or get a tube of Arctic Cooling MX-4 (will last you a very long time).

Applying is easy. Just put as much as a small grain of rice, vertically down the CPU. Don't spread it. Just put the heatsink on and wiggle it left/right a tiny bit to smooth out bubbles and then screw it in.

Seriously, don't put too much paste. A small grain of rice is all that's needed. Someone can probably post a pic (images are mostly blocked at work, so I can't find any).

Hazaro said:
Only go with a crucial/ocz drive if you are willing to put up with problems. Intel 510 120GB has my vote.

Intel 320 still has my vote. My Vertex 3 doesn't feel all that much faster than even the X25-M for loading games. It might be, but it's not terribly perceptible. The 320 is significantly cheaper than the 510. I'd rather get 160GB of slightly slower sequential loading (with more reliable Intel firmware) than 120GB of slightly faster but possibly less reliable Marvell firmware.

Quick question. Are there any drawbacks to matching an AMD graphics card like the 6950 with an i5/i7 CPU or does it even matter? It's about 100 dollars cheaper than the GTX 570, but still really good. I thought I knew what I wanted to get, but now I'm second guessing everything.

TheExodu5

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Quick question. Are there any drawbacks to matching an AMD graphics card like the 6950 with an i5/i7 CPU or does it even matter? It's about 100 dollars cheaper than the GTX 570, but still really good. I thought I knew what I wanted to get, but now I'm second guessing everything.

There's no problem.

RS4-

TheExodu5 said:
Intel 320 still has my vote. My Vertex 3 doesn't feel all that much faster than even the X25-M for loading games. It might be, but it's not terribly perceptible. The 320 is significantly cheaper than the 510. I'd rather get 160GB of slightly slower sequential loading (with more reliable Intel firmware) than 120GB of slightly faster but possibly less reliable Marvell firmware.

Yeah I'd have to say the Intel 320; and 160GB version is almost or is the same price as the 120GB 510 series.

Ezahn

Kyaw said:
Get the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for the 2500k.

Tnx Kyaw, but the 212 seems difficult to get here in Italy, dunno why.
There's the A70, or Mugen 2, but still I'm wondering if it will do me any good if I don't overclock now or maybe oc only slightly.

jarosh

longdi said:
used to have one v351, looks better than v352 imo. never had an issue with the sideway optical drive, quite convenient if placed on you desk besides you. it is more boxy than your other 2 choices, but being made of full aluminium, very nice and cool to touch. get the v351 or v350, looks much more classy. silverstone ft03 or sg03 would have the same matx class look.

you need to plan your build first as matx cases need certain build order. if you are working on v351, for additional hsf power, scythe zipang or noctua c14 works great, change the fan direction upwards. change the front 2 fans to scythe gt ap15.

speaking from experience, matx casing are cool if you not the geek who loves to push your system hard. matx have some bad heat buildup.
thanks for the input. i appreciate it. unfortunately i just found out that all the lian li cases are too tall for my setup. and i also don't like the silverstone sg02 anymore. i've read too many negative reviews and it sounds like a pain to deal with.

so i'm gonna have to re-think this whole thing once more... if i completely re-arrange my entertainment area, maybe i can figure out a way to squeeze in a silverstone gd06 - that would be my dream case, and i wouldn't have to make any compromises with the rest of the build...

jarosh

uh-oh... sorry for the double post, but one of my cooler master case fans has just started rattling like crazy. it's not loose and there's no dust in it or any cords or other parts touching it. wtf! any ideas?

n0n44m

jarosh said:
uh-oh... sorry for the double post, but one of my cooler master case fans has just started rattling like crazy. it's not loose and there's no dust in it or any cords or other parts touching it. wtf! any ideas?

bearing just stopped working probably ... try if you can squirt some oil in it by taking the sticker off that covers the central hub

Smokey

Now that I've had my machine for awhile...I think it's time for part 2 of my grand plan for my PC ...a 3D surround setup. I already have one ASUS 3D monitor, and if all goes to plan I should have two more by the beginning of August. I'm thinking I may have screwed myself with the ASUS DCII 580. I need another for SLI, and as we know it's triple slot. Could probabllllly make it work, but I'll have to look into it some more.

The bigger issue seems to be the 1.5GB RAM on the 580s. For a surround setup that's where the RAM really comes in, and I'm worried that's not enough. Actually I know it's not enough looking around various forums yesterday. I saw some Witcher 2 shots on a surround setup and it was amazzzinng. I don't know about selling this ASUS and getting the 3GB 580, as I love this card and it's temps...but if I go through with it that might be what I have to do :/

jarosh said:
Good chance it's a fan bearing issue. The majority of CM's fans are sleeve bearing, which can be problematic. You can try oiling it (just don't use something like WD-40), or, if you can't be bothered, look into getting a replacement.

jarosh said:
thanks for the input. i appreciate it. unfortunately i just found out that all the lian li cases are too tall for my setup. and i also don't like the silverstone sg02 anymore. i've read too many negative reviews and it sounds like a pain to deal with.

so i'm gonna have to re-think this whole thing once more... if i completely re-arrange my entertainment area, maybe i can figure out a way to squeeze in a silverstone gd06 - that would be my dream case, and i wouldn't have to make any compromises with the rest of the build...
I thought the GD05 and GD06 were too wide for your setup? By the way, the new GD07 and GD08 have just debuted, though they're full ATX. There's also a new Lian Li PC-60, but it'll likely be as hard for you to find as the PC-50.

I don't believe you ever commented on the Fractal Design Define Mini and Arc Mini. If you aren't height limited, I still think a mini tower could be the best all around solution for your needs; spacious, compact and good cooling for gaming components. What was the issue with the SilverStone FT03 again?

Smokey said:
Now that I've had my machine for awhile...I think it's time for part 2 of my grand plan for my PC ...a 3D surround setup. I already have one ASUS 3D monitor, and if all goes to plan I should have two more by the beginning of August. I'm thinking I may have screwed myself with the ASUS DCII 580. I need another for SLI, and as we know it's triple slot. Could probabllllly make it work, but I'll have to look into it some more.

The bigger issue seems to be the 1.5GB RAM on the 580s. For a surround setup that's where the RAM really comes in, and I'm worried that's not enough. Actually I know it's not enough looking around various forums yesterday. I saw some Witcher 2 shots on a surround setup and it was amazzzinng. I don't know about selling this ASUS and getting the 3GB 580, as I love this card and it's temps...but if I go through with it that might be what I have to do :/

I'll buy it off you for 300 bones. :)

grkazan12

grkazan12 said:

So is there anyone else who can help me with this? I uninstalled the Bluetooth Drivers from Asus' website and installed the Bluetooth drivers from the MOBO Disc. Restarted the computer and a Bluetooth Comm screen popped, tried to apply some features to enable it, but an error screen came on saying that the Bluetooth is not plugged or something to that extent. The Bluetooth is internal and there's a Blue Dongle on the ATX Tray( doesn't come out , not a dongle) and it's not lighting up at all. Once again any help would be appreciated, I heard that it might be some miscommunication between Windows and and the Asus MOBO.

Kyaw

Ezahn said:
Tnx Kyaw, but the 212 seems difficult to get here in Italy, dunno why.
There's the A70, or Mugen 2, but still I'm wondering if it will do me any good if I don't overclock now or maybe oc only slightly.

Mugen 2 is quite good but it is a pain to fit it from what i've seen.
A70 comes with two default fans but they are quite loud.

Overclocking with the Sandybridges are so easy, you might as well OC from the start.
If you are not sure, stick with the default cooler and see how much you can OC with them.
If you want more and doesn't mind spending much, get the Noctua NH-D14.

Deadstar

I'm in the market for a new monitor. I still haven't decided if I want to go LCD or LED however I am going to go with a 23 inch monitor. Could someone explain to me the pros and cons of a 16:9 aspect ratio vs 16:10? My current monitor is 16:10 and the witcher 2 doesn't fill out the screen.

Don't you get more screen real estate with 16:10? That seems like the better option...

Smokey

black_vegeta said:
I'll buy it off you for 300 bones. :)

Why u be trollin me

But really I have this sort of grand vision for what I want to do. I'm about halfway done with this vision. I won't mention what I thought of yesterday out of fear of my PC brothers pointing and laughing lol.

DEM AMBITIONS

I really hate how the green team makes you buy a second card if you want a surround setup. BS.

Kyaw

16:10 is apparently the 'master race'... but you get blackbars in pretty much everything that doesn't support it.

Basically films and games that doesn't support 16:10.
But yeah, biggest screen estate for everything else.

yeoz

Deadstar

yeoz said:
I googled the model number for refresh rate:
1280x1024 75Hz
1440x900 75Hz
1680x1050 60Hz
1920x1080 60Hz

Isn't 75 refresh rate better for gaming or does it not matter? When you use v sync it locks the frames to the monitors refresh rate, right? Though the weird thing is it seems most monitors have a refresh rate of 60. It doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom