• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZetaEpyon

Is there anywhere to get samples of the different Cherry switches? I've always been curious about mechanical keyboards, but I don't really want to splash down $100 or whatever on a keyboard if I might not like it.

scogoth

Is there anywhere to get samples of the different Cherry switches? I've always been curious about mechanical keyboards, but I don't really want to splash down $100 or whatever on a keyboard if I might not like it.

Go to a store and try them out if you can

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, you can get a sampler pack from wasdkeyboards.

Thanks to mkenyon's excellent help, here is what I am thinking about springing for. I am wrestling on whether or not to grab the monitor now, or upgrade later, but if someone will essentially check over my additions, that would be awesome.

EDIT: Link should be fixed now.

Shambles

So If I upgraded from a 2500k and a 580 to 3570k and 680 would that be a decent upgrade? I'm playin at 1080p.

Well it really depends on your situation. For most people I'd say it's a complete waste on both accounts. But if you're rolling in the dough than the GPU upgrade is a clear step up. Even if you're well off going from a 2500K to a 3570K isn't even worth it.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks to mkenyon's excellent help, here is what I am thinking about springing for. I am wrestling on whether or not to grab the monitor now, or upgrade later, but if someone will essentially check over my additions, that would be awesome.
Well, if you want me to build it for you, you are welcome to stop by and try out some 120Hz monitors before you decide. (it's free btw, something nice I do to help out GAFers)

*edit*

You'll want to make that link public. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/538638.aspx

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Sensei RAW arrived today! Not going to try it out until I get the rest of my PC, but it's still pretty exciting.

Also got a Driving Force GT which I bought for $55 from a Gaffer in the mail today! I'm so excited to try a racing game with a wheel at 144fps.

mkenyon

Banned
Sensei RAW arrived today! Not going to try it out until I get the rest of my PC, but it's still pretty exciting.

Also got a Driving Force GT which I bought for $55 from a Gaffer in the mail today! I'm so excited to try a racing game with a wheel at 144fps.
My god.

I think I need to go buy a racing wheel. This is an amazing idea.

lmpaler

Parts will be order Saturday! Woohoo! I am excited, although Newegg decided to throw a wrench in my plan and put the i5-3350P up for 10% off with a promo code and I know Tom's said if you don't plan to overclock get that instead.

So now I am debating between this and the 3570K, mind you I am gaming at literally 1280x720 on this rig, so overclocking almost seems to be a waste as such a low resolution(to me anyways), and saving ~$100 is sexy time.

Advice GAF? The card will probably be a 660 ti or 670, I haven't decided yet, if you care :p

kharma45

Nice choice, DFGT is a good solid entry level wheel.

My god.

DO IT.

Racing games without one is just so, so wrong.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
My god.

I know, right!? I was planning all along to get a wheel "eventually" after the sting of spending so much on the PC had worn away. After I decided to go 144hz, I couldn't resist. It seems like a match made in heaven.
Plus, it helps that some guy offered to sell his like-new wheel to me for $55 even though I was asking if anyone had one to sell for $70-80 ($80 being the going price for a used Driving Force GT). Haha. I've been getting the most incredible deals.

Nice choice, DFGT is a good solid entry level wheel.

DO IT.

Racing games without one is just so, so wrong.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to using it. I've been pretty heavily into racing games for about a year or two now but I've just had a 360 controller so I've been very much looking forward to owning a wheel. I just couldn't justify getting one before when I could only play the racing games at 20-30fps. Haha

Well, if you want me to build it for you, you are welcome to stop by and try out some 120Hz monitors before you decide. (it's free btw, something nice I do to help out GAFers)

*edit*

You'll want to make that link public. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/538638.aspx

The link should be fixed. I may take you up on that offer of monitor testing and build assistance, though I need to talk to a friend who was originally going to walk me through it first. What is really important to me is not only getting this first build right, but learning how to do it all so that I can upgrade, etc, in the future.

DJ_Lae

I only have one of the old 360 wheels lying around but I should give it a shot on my new computer. I assume it works without issue with the wireless dongle.

I also ordered the sampler pack of switches - $14 after shipping, but I've always been meaning to try them out, but no stores have any keyboards to play with and I know no one with a mechanical keyboard of any kind.

The last mechanical keyboard I've used was the Waka from Final Fantasy X.[/QUOTE] "]Apple extended one. I still have one or two lying around somewhere.

mkenyon

Banned
Parts will be order Saturday! Woohoo! I am excited, although Newegg decided to throw a wrench in my plan and put the i5-3350P up for 10% off with a promo code and I know Tom's said if you don't plan to overclock get that instead.

So now I am debating between this and the 3570K, mind you I am gaming at literally 1280x720 on this rig, so overclocking almost seems to be a waste as such a low resolution(to me anyways), and saving ~$100 is sexy time.

Advice GAF? The card will probably be a 660 ti or 670, I haven't decided yet, if you care :p

Follow the progression down to 3100MHz. This is at 1080P, so the differences will actually GROW at 720P. Can't seem to find my 99th percentile Far Cry 3 graph......

AbxKn.png

b3TgS.png

PCaGI.png

na0lR.png

Needless to say, you are missing out on a ton, and you SHOULD overclock. It's soooo easy. It's easier than building the PC, which is super easy to begin with. At the very least, having a 3570K gives you much much better resale value.
The link should be fixed. I may take you up on that offer of monitor testing and build assistance, though I need to talk to a friend who was originally going to walk me through it first. What is really important to me is not only getting this first build right, but learning how to do it all so that I can upgrade, etc, in the future.
Yeah, absolutely. I can guide you through the whole process, show you how to overclock, test everything and get it running at 150%.

I have tons of spare parts, as well as a test bench to assist in case there are any unforseen problems. I'm a pretty normal guy too, so don't fear some sort of creeper. :p

*edit*

Oh, also, I didn't include RAM in your build because I have a ton of extra sticks I've been trying to get rid of. Was just going to plop some in free of charge. 8GB though, but that's way more than enough if you aren't doing too much multimedia.

kharma45

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to using it. I've been pretty heavily into racing games for about a year or two now but I've just had a 360 controller so I've been very much looking forward to owning a wheel. I just couldn't justify getting one before when I could only play the racing games at 20-30fps. Haha

It can be a bit of a ballache having to set up profiles for some games but it's night and day the experience of using a good wheel against the controller.

<3 my DFGT. Really should make more use of it.

ElfoMan

On 2008 I built a PC with these parts with the help of you guys.

I still use the PC to play games and as HTPC but I want a quieter video card.

Could you guys recommend a more silent card that is comparable to this and doesn't get hot? Maybe something around $100.

Also, if I wanted to buy more memory to the max what should I get?

Thanks.

kennah

You have lots of RAM for the PC you have.

Any modern video card will be quieter than that. In your budget you'll be able to get a 7770 maybe. Or maybe Koroviev still has that 650TI for $125

mkenyon

Banned
Oh man, I had the 4870 version of that, same Cherry Blossom graphic even. That thing was like a leaf blower with how loud it was.

kennah

Guys -

P67 Sabtertooth for $120

P8Z77-V LK for $75

wait and get a Z77 MiniITX

wait longer and go Haswell MiniITX.

What should I do?

mkenyon

Banned
Use the 2550K. It will blow your mind how smooth gaming will be.

Get the Sabertooth or the V-LK. Sabertooth will likely be able to OC higher.

ElfoMan

You have lots of RAM for the PC you have.

Any modern video card will be quieter than that. In your budget you'll be able to get a 7770 maybe. Or maybe Koroviev still has that 650TI for $125

Thanks. I want more memory to add a virtual machine or two and access them using remote desktop without slowing the PC.

FrancisH

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem and I am not sure what the right way to go about is. My girlfriend's PC has just broke and it won't post. We have tried swapping out the RAM, graphics cards and changing monitors but nothing has worked leading me to believe it's a motherboard problem.

Firstly, am I correct in thinking this and is there anything else I can try?

Secondly, if it is a case of replacing it then I am not sure what the best option would be. We don't have much money to play around with right now, about £150, and what we currently have is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420, XFX 680i LT Motherboard, 2x XFX 8800GTS 320MB, 8GB Corsair 800MHz RAM and a Corsair HX520W PSU.

Would it be better to just find a 775 motherboard to replace this one so that we can continue to use the graphics cards in SLI, RAM and CPU or to buy an i3/G860 bundle and ditch one of the graphics cards?

The most taxing thing we use it for is probably Guild Wars 2 and we are happy with the current performance of it on GW2.

Thank you

Shambles

Hello,

I have a bit of a problem and I am not sure what the right way to go about is. My girlfriend's PC has just broke and it won't post. We have tried swapping out the RAM, graphics cards and changing monitors but nothing has worked leading me to believe it's a motherboard problem.

Firstly, am I correct in thinking this and is there anything else I can try?

Secondly, if it is a case of replacing it then I am not sure what the best option would be. We don't have much money to play around with right now, about £150, and what we currently have is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420, XFX 680i LT Motherboard, 2x XFX 8800GTS 320MB, 8GB Corsair 800MHz RAM and a Corsair HX520W PSU.

Would it be better to just find a 775 motherboard to replace this one so that we can continue to use the graphics cards in SLI, RAM and CPU or to buy an i3/G860 bundle and ditch one of the graphics cards?

The most taxing thing we use it for is probably Guild Wars 2 and we are happy with the current performance of it on GW2.

Thank you

Try pulling the CMOS battery.

kennah

Sorry for the delay. I got my specs.

360W PSU
I7 920 @ 2.67

Ati radeon HD 3450

4 GB ram

600 GB HDD

Its a stock dell xps studio 435mt if that helps

There will be a sticker on the side of the powersupply. Take a picture of it and post. (It will have the full specs of the powersupply). Buuuutt... this don't look promising for adding a better video card.

Stasis

Oh man, I had the 4870 version of that, same Cherry Blossom graphic even. That thing was like a leaf blower with how loud it was.

Same with the 4890 in my 2nd rig. Shit gets INTENSE. I think it's just common to the 4800 series in general. It led to me to really research quiet cards when I got my 570.

Ok, a friend whose opinion I trust just recommended these boards instead from ASRock and Gigabyte respectively, as well as warning me away from the mobo that mkenyon had picked out here, he specifically warned me away from micro ATX and recommended an ATX or extended ATX if possible...
Thoughts? And thanks once more for all the help.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/JhXm

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.66 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£100.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£37.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£53.56 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£248.60 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£65.66 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£69.84 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £890.64

I've used the smaller noctua 9B cooler before and liked how quiet it is. 212 EVO is half the price though. If its not much louder and will still cool well enough for a decent over pclock on a 3570k, I'd switch to the 212 EVO

Would that PSU be ok for a 7950?

My alternative is basically the same, but a bitfenix prodigy case, and the gigabyte m-itx motherboard

kennah

So your friend recommended you stay away from microatx and then recommended you a microatx board? The maximus gene is one of the best boards there is. If you are going for that budget get an MPower

And never give fatality money out of principle.

Edit. The hyper 212 is as quiet as the fans you put on it. I have noctuas on mine

So your friend recommended you stay away from microatx and then recommended you a microatx board? The maximus gene is one of the best boards there is. If you are going for that budget get an MPower

Edit. The hyper 212 is as quiet as the fans you put on it. I have noctuas on mine

I just noticed that myself, he specifically said, "Don't get a micro atx board. You will kick yourself for it later". I am trying to find the difference myself, but it seems to really be a size thing... Is there a general lack of expansion slots on micro ATX boards or something? I'm confused.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But then you're getting back up to a price where you might as well just buy the noctua NHU12P in the first place? If the 212 will be enough for a normal over lock on a 3570k and isn't too noisy stock then that would be good.

mkenyon

Banned
I just noticed that myself, he specifically said, "Don't get a micro atx board. You will kick yourself for it later". I am trying to find the difference myself, but it seems to really be a size thing... Is there a general lack of expansion slots on micro ATX boards or something? I'm confused.
Realistically, you could not have three video cards. If you go with two video cards, you would not be able to also have a sound card. It's the difference between 4 and 6 expansion slots pretty much.

If you do want those options though, then the $200 board you would want is the MSI MPower. Nothing else in the price range compares to the Maximus V Gene and MPower. The Gene has a few other features that make it a really neat board though, namely a great onboard audio solution as well as the ASUS RoG standard set of features which is really comprehensive.
So how much would I be able to get out of a gtx580 3gb? $2-300? Probably less?
Yeah, about $250-300, depending on which card you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom