• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Next gen systems are making me confused.

The PS4 has 8 Gigs of GDDR5 Ram right? So would I need a graphics card with 8 gigs of ram or should I wait for DDR4 memory to come out?

I need a new motherboard and cpu, but it I spend the money now will I just end up with a system that can't compare to the PS4? If I bought lets say 16 gigs of DDR3 ram and a Geforce Titan, would that compare to the PS4?

The other question I have is CPUs. It seems like the only one making 8 core CPUs is AMD, why isn't intel making any? If I bought a intel i7 clocked at 4 ghz would that compare to the PS4s 8 core CPU?
Nope.

Nope. It is probably in line with the enhanced build in the OP.

AMD isn't right now. They market them as 8 cores but for all intents and purposes they are quad core CPUs. In any case, the CPUs in PS4 are so slow that core count doesn't really matter when looking at desktop CPUs in comparison.

For example, in multi threaded applications, the dual core i3 will handily outperform quad Q6600s or AMD Phenoms/Athlon IIs.
new it was only a matter before this thread got infected with this stuff...
No need to be condescending. Think of it as a chance to help.

DDR3 is lower latency than GDDR5, so it's beneficial for many processes the CPU is tasked with. It's definitely staying for some time but DDR4 RAM is on the horizon, expect that to take a couple of years or more to become mainstream.

Nope.

Nope. It is probably in line with the enhanced build in the OP.

AMD isn't right now. They market them as 8 cores but for all intents and purposes they are quad core CPUs. In any case, the CPUs in PS4 are so slow that core count doesn't really matter when looking at desktop CPUs in comparison.

For example, in multi threaded applications, the dual core i3 will handily outperform quad Q6600s or AMD Phenoms/Athlon IIs.

I see, this clears everything up for me than. Thank you very much!

knitoe

Powerline Ethernet is no joke. Wow. I have never gotten 25 Mbps on my wireless at home.

Thanks for the suggestions! This should really be in the OP if it is not already.

What router did you use? I just did a speedtest on my iphone 5 and got 42Mbps maxing out my Internet connection. My AirPort Extreme N dual band router is below me on the first floor. If I was transferring a local file, it would be even faster.

Since I play lots of COD and thinking powerline would get better latency, I bought a 300Mbps powerline adapter. Even in my new house (built 8 months ago), the speed was crap. Fille transfer speeds were usually half of what I got on the wireless N 300Mbps connection. And, to top it off, latency only improve from 3ms to 2ms which is pretty meaningless. My AirPort Extreme is giving some issues so I returning it for a Asus RT AC66U. Once, I get some AC access points, powerline will be even more of a joke.

First, go wired. Second, wireless. Third, powerline if the first two doesn't work for you.

LegendX48

Okay I sort of need a question answered and please don't just link me to the anandtech benchmarks. I've been looking up stuff trying to find out if the ivy bridge i7 3770k is better than the phenom ii x4 965 be and everything I've read through has been a bit divisive. Assuming both cpu's were running at 4ghz which would truly be the better cpu?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay I sort of need a question answered and please don't just link me to the anandtech benchmarks. I've been looking up stuff trying to find out if the ivy bridge i7 3770k is better than the phenom ii x4 965 be and everything I've read through has been a bit divisive. Assuming both cpu's were running at 4ghz which would truly be the better cpu?
The i7 will beat the shit out of the x4 at everything.

Though many will ask "what did you put in it?" I'd like to know what's in the glass. :p
A GIF of Nathan Fillion being dumbfounded will create that tone. Apologies for reading too much into it :(

Whiskey from the looks of it, don't know why he isn't using a Glencairn though.

Not even remotely close. The i7 will eat the x4 for breakfast.

knitoe

Intel.

Clock for clock, Intels are much faster.

SATA 2.0 vs 3.0 shouldn't make a difference for a WD 2TB Green right? Speeds won't approach those levels, or should I move some components around to attach the HDD to a SATA 3 port?

Anton668

I just upgraded from a 965BE to a 3770K

3770k wins hands down...

TheD

The Detective
SATA 2.0 vs 3.0 shouldn't make a difference for a WD 2TB Green right? Speeds won't approach those levels, or should I move some components around to attach the HDD to a SATA 3 port?

SATA3 will only make a difference if the drive tops out the available bandwidth of SATA2, I doubt anything short of an SSD can do that.

What router did you use? I just did a speedtest on my iphone 5 and got 42Mbps maxing out my Internet connection. My AirPort Extreme N dual band router is below me on the first floor. If I was transferring a local file, it would be even faster.

Since I play lots of COD and thinking powerline would get better latency, I bought a 300Mbps powerline adapter. Even in my new house (built 8 months ago), the speed was crap. Fille transfer speeds were usually half of what I got on the wireless N 300Mbps connection. And, to top it off, latency only improve from 3ms to 2ms which is pretty meaningless. My AirPort Extreme is giving some issues so I returning it for a Asus RT AC66U. Once, I get some AC access points, powerline will be even more of a joke.

First, go wired. Second, wireless. Third, powerline if the first two doesn't work for you.
Just the same crappy Cisco/Linksys one I've had for 3+ years in the living room going to our office. The max I should be getting is 30 though so you may already be hitting the limits of the system while I'm not.

54-46!

So I'm thinkin about building a new PC. My current build is from Q3 2009, how much do you think I can sell it for?

Phenom II X4 955 3,2Ghz
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Sapphire HD4890
XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
WD black 500GB
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
Corsair VX 550W
Antec 300

jred2k

I usually lurk, but I just wanted to pop in to the thread and thank anyone and everyone who has contributed to the OP. I built my computer last night using the "enhanced" setup as my frame. Very happy with the results and can't wait to jump in to the world of PC gaming now. My internet connection is going to be tired for a few days from the back catalog of stuff I have to download.

asdad123

Yup, it's a decent 750W supply, should handle pretty much every card in SLI. I'm guessing you were thinking 670s or 680s? Those two definitely. If we're talking 690s, it'll be tight though.

Well actually right now just 570s to hold me over until the next cards come out.

Hopefully the guy takes me up o my offer of $75

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
My birthday is coming up near the end of the month. Do I finally bite the bullet for a system that's roughly like this:

PSU: Keeping my current at the time overkill Coolermaster Real Power M700

Case: Coolermaster Silencio 450 or Coolermaster Elite 330
CPU: Intel i7 3770K + Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo HSF
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
RAM: 1x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
GPU: Gigabyte ATI RADEON HD7970 3GB
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar
Monitor: 1080p LG E2442T LED

Keyboard: Looking for a decent and affordable wired keyboard to finally replace MS Multimedia keyboard.
Optical drive: Keeping my current LG DVDRW, it's barely gotten any use.
Mouse: Keeping my G400.

Also, any incompatibilities with these? Those cases might be too old and small, or maybe my old PSU is not a good fit.

Or do I wait for new shit? Are we looking toward paradigm shifts in number of cores, types of ram, GPU architectures, etc?

I wouldn't give more than roughly this kind of money mind you. About 1300 euros with our shitty taxes.

I don't upgrade every year or two and the most I can see me doing any time soon is doubling the RAM and HDD, or getting an SSD once they have reasonable price/capacity ratio, and possibly getting Windows 8 at some point, I have 7 right now.

I currently have an E8500 + GTX285 and 4GB ram setup with only 2x250GB HDDs. I only have major troubles with certain games like ARMA, Battlefield, Witcher and the like. Not that every other game wouldn't also benefit from the upgrade. My rig is older than the GPU implies, I only got that because my RX2600 Pro fried a few years ago. I guess I'm on a 4-5 year cycle.

But I'm also interested in the Occulus Rift and 3D is a hog. Then again, it might be years before that gets consumer versions.

Koroviev

My birthday is at the end of the month. Do I bite the bullet for a system that's roughly like this:

Case Coolermaster Silencio 450 case
CPU i7 3770k + Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo HSF,
Mobo Gigabyte Z77-D3H
RAM 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
GPU ATI RADEON HD7970 3GB
HDD 1TB Caviar
1080p LG LED monitor

Or wait for new shit to come up? Are we looking toward paradigm shifts in number of cores, type of ram/GPU architectures, etc?

I don't upgrade every year or two and the most I can see me doing any time soon is doubling the HDD and RAM, or getting an SSD once they have reasonable price/capacity ratio.

I wouldn't give more than roughly this kind of money mind you. About 1300 euros with our shitty taxes.

Nope, that build should tide you over for a while. And I would go with the 7950 and add an SSD. SSDs have already come down in price quite a bit. It's fairly easy to find 256GB models for $200 or less.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Guys, i just got a pc, was reinstalling and the picture went...went out and bought a vga cable to see if it had switched to that and nothing happened... long story short...i turned it off and on again and im getting nothing..

HDMI says the mode is not supported and the VGA PC mode on my tv just goes black for a second and changes channel

Am i fucked?

But I'm also interested in the Occulus Rift and 3D is a hog. Then again, it might be years before that gets consumer versions.

Oculus Rift shouldn't be much of a GPU hog since it splits the display between both eyes (as opposed to current 3D tech that draws the full screen for each eye). The developer model displays the same number of pixels as a typical 1080p display. I think a 7950/7970 would handle it fine (although that depends a lot on the state of next-gen PC ports).

emag

Oculus Rift shouldn't be much of a GPU hog since it splits the display between both eyes (as opposed to current 3D tech that draws the full screen for each eye). The developer model displays the same number of pixels as a typical 1080p display. I think a 7950/7970 would handle it fine (although that depends a lot on the state of next-gen PC ports).

The developer model is closer to 720p (640 * 800 pixels per eye, 1280×800 total). Hopefully the the consumer model will use a 1080p display (860 * 1080 per eye). In either case, however,the Rift uses resolutions lower than standard desktop monitors and should therefore function just fine mainstream cards (60 fps @ 1080p).

Time for the ultimate noob question. Be kind.

- No one makes mention of requiring a wireless card, or costs it into their budget here. Does wireless capability typically come on the Motherboard these days, or will I require to pick up a card separately for my new build?

- No one makes mention of requiring a wireless card, or costs it into their budget here. Does wireless capability typically come on the Motherboard these days, or will I require to pick up a card separately for my new build?

I think most people that build their own PC prefer to hardline their computer.

If you can, spend a couple extra bucks on powerline ethernet adapters:

http://amzn.com/B002TU59FA
(Recommended from elsewhere in this thread and purchased by me, they work great)

Just plug one into the wall by your router, connect it to your router, plug in the other adapter by your computer, plug your computer in that adapter and you're browsing much faster than wifi.

(YMMV depending on quality/age of your electrical wiring, etc.)

Delicious.

Though I have been on a pretty strict diet for over a year now, I still make calorie allowance for at least two whiskeys a week. I think I might have to go pick up a bottle of the Balvenie. Been too long since I've had a Scotch.

It is a pretty good value for a 15. Not too smokey, not too sweet. If you like smoke (aka drinking bacon), then get this immediately: Lagavulin 16 Year

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Guys, i just got a pc, was reinstalling and the picture went...went out and bought a vga cable to see if it had switched to that and nothing happened... long story short...i turned it off and on again and im getting nothing..

HDMI says the mode is not supported and the VGA PC mode on my tv just goes black for a second and changes channel

Am i fucked?

Nobody here can halp?

Can anybody just acknowledge this?

garath

You will need a separate card if you want to do wireless. However it's strongly recommended to do wired to your PC if you can manage it. I've done thinks like run a 100ft ethernet cable into attics, basements, even taped to the floor of apartments just to get my PC hooked up. Though I usually put the router in the PC room and make all my other devices go wireless.

There's also powerline plug adapters if you're in a pinch. Those would perform better than wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULOZ5W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

edit: My link isn't a recommendation of that particular brand/model, just the first hit from Amazon to demonstrate. Though it does have some good reviews :)

mkenyon

Banned
Nobody here can halp?

Can anybody just acknowledge this?
Troubleshoot it more. Try a different display. Try a different cable. Try onboard video rather than a graphics card. Test variables one at a time.

It's just not enough information to diagnose anything on.
So I'm thinkin about building a new PC. My current build is from Q3 2009, how much do you think I can sell it for?

Phenom II X4 955 3,2Ghz
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Sapphire HD4890
XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
WD black 500GB
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
Corsair VX 550W
Antec 300
~$300-400

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thanks for the replies, anyone else care to chime in? I was looking for something a bit more definitive sounding to make me feel confident enough to click checkout in 13 days from now, not just a couple remarks...

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the replies, anyone else care to chime in? I was looking for something a bit more definitive sounding to make me feel confident enough to click checkout in 13 days from now, not just a couple remarks...
Looks good, but swap RAM for two 4GB sticks instead of a single 8GB stick. You want your memory to run in dual channel mode. Also look at the cases in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom