• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
Is the 3GB version of the GTX660ti worth considering over the 2GB?

I'm looking at them on NewEgg, and the price difference isn't that big, so is it better at 1080p, or is it just needless..?

Go for the 3GB. To repeat myself from what I've said in a previous post on here:

The 2GB versions are slightly crippled in the VRAM usage (can't properly utilise more than 1.5GB) due to the modifications that needed to be made to the architecture to fit the non-standard ratio of 2GB onto the 192bit bus.

Also, despite what a lot of people say on here, I'm not convinced 2GB VRAM will be enough over the years to come. I own 2 3GB 660's in SLI and frequently see my VRAM usage go well above 2GB on MSI afterburner when playing modded Crysis, Skyrim and GTA IV at 1080p. If you want to downsample in any game whether its modded or not, the 3GB will also definitely come in handy.

If they are in a similar price range, its a no brainer to be frank.

Katyusha

So, what was in the box!?

photo%20%282%29.JPG

A twin frozr 660! Finally the wind tunnel in my living room will be tamed.

How are your temps? My 7950 twin frozr temps are garbage.

Idles at 45c and hits over 80c under load.

kennah

Any recommendations for changes from this build?

Code:
3rd Gen Intel® Core i5 I5-3570k 3.4Ghz CPU
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard B75 Express (New)
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz DDR3 (8Gx2)
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2.0 TB 3.5" HDD
Cooler Master Elite RC-350-KKR500-GP System Cabinet – Midtower - Black
LiteOn 24X iHAS124 DVD-Writer - Black - Internal Bulk
Asus PCE-N15 IEEE 802.11n (draft) PCI Express - Wi-Fi Adapter
WINDOWS 7 Home Prem 64 Bit 1PK License and Media – OEM
Full System Assemble with 24 Hour Burn In ($35.99)

Total Price $770

My thoughts are to knock down the RAM to 8GB and replace the 2TB HDD with an 128GB SDD.
This PC is primarily for Photo / Video editing and I plan on adding in an graphics card, more RAM and a media HDD at a later date online.

Is there any real benefit between Z77 vs. B75 in a motherboard? Keep in mind, I am trying to keep costs DOWN and benefits UP!

First off - use this RAM http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Overclocks like crazy and runs cool and small, will fit under any cooler (is smaller than the clips that hold it in)

Second - you can't multiplier overclock on that motherboard, meaning that you're wasting money by buying a K series chip. So either change your CPU to a non-K or change your motherboard to a Z77.

Go with an SSD now and get your larger drive later, which will be VERY SOON if you're doing video editing :)

No clue, I just got the card an hour ago and haven't gone home from work yet.

Also I'm going to finish up my 13.2 testing before installing this one, and man that'll be hard to resist doing for an evening!

Looks like that cooler performs pretty well.

An overclock like that is easy to achieve with any 670, though.

Yeah it seems to be getting good reviews across the board too.

Think I'll stick with it just because of the better RMA support from EVGA in the UK, also if I change my mind anymore I think I'll end up with a brain hemorrhage. Roll on Thursday.

kharma45

There was a dodgy batch of them that went out, Overclockers UK got them. They were doing free swaps or MSI was allowing you to reapply the thermal paste without invalidating your warranty.

mkenyon

Banned
Also, despite what a lot of people say on here, I'm not convinced 2GB VRAM will be enough over the years to come. I own 2 3GB 660's in SLI and frequently see my VRAM usage go well above 2GB on MSI afterburner when playing modded Crysis, Skyrim and GTA IV at 1080p. If you want to downsample in any game whether its modded or not, the 3GB will also definitely come in handy.

Just sayin'

More than 2GB will be necessary some day, no question. When is what is up in the air. What also is up in the air is how that will affect performance.

What also seems clear is that these cards choke at higher resolution (like downsampling) because they don't have the power. With insane resolutions used to force as much memory usage as possible, the 4GB versions of the 660/670/680 don't really perform any better. That doesn't indicate that increased memory DOES NOT help, but it throws out the only other VRAM argument people use to justify more memory besides mods.

It seems like mods are the only place where VRAM usage should be a concern, at least for the time being.

Those temps are fine. 7900 cards run hot. What you should be concerned about is noise. If it is really quiet, then that is a good 80C. If it is loud and hitting that temp, then something is wrong.

Kalnos

Banned
Just got the 5148 hour Crucial m4 error that causes a BSOD every hour or so until you update the firmware. Weirdest error ever.

Zeth

I'm assuming GPUs don't generally have great resale values? I've already got the upgrade bug. I'm fairly impressed with my 660Ti, but I will probably upgrade within a year, heh. Guess I'll wait and see on the 7xx series. Another 6 series/79xx so soon doesn't seem to justify the cost so soon after this build.

kennah

I find as long as it isn't a bottom end card, GPUs tend to keep their value fairly well. 670s can still easily fetch 250-300.

Katyusha

Those temps are fine. 7900 cards run hot. What you should be concerned about is noise. If it is really quiet, then that is a good 80C. If it is loud and hitting that temp, then something is wrong.

It does get really loud, actually. I'd say it's unbearable, but I always have my speakers turned up or a headset on.

As for the temps, I forgot to mention that I have the card stuffed into an Antec 300 and the thing barely fits in there. So I'd say that's one big reason why my temps are so bad.

My wife is having someone build a computer for me, but I feel kinda warry about their desire to go with SLI. Luckily the cards they wanted to use got discontinued so it's delayed, but should I go with SLI or just one beastly graphics card?

Talking about GPU temps, my Sapphire 7950 runs extremely cool at 29C idle and ~50C+ on load (playing games like Deus Ex, Dota 2).

BUT I found out the fans make a churning sound, and tried to target it to eliminate it.
Turns out it only happens in the 30% fan speeds, so I made my card avoid that percentage altogether :) (with MSI afterburner)
I think it helped. Pretty proud of my first problem fix.

Zeth

I find as long as it isn't a bottom end card, GPUs tend to keep their value fairly well. 670s can still easily fetch 250-300.

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. Could end up softening the blow on an upgrade down the line.

On the flip-side, does anyone have experience buying used parts like this? Is there any way to verify you're not getting a dud?

kennah

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. Could end up softening the blow on an upgrade down the line.

On the flip-side, does anyone have experience buying used parts like this? Is there any way to verify you're not getting a dud?

When buying request to see it functioning in a computer. If the guy starts giving you the run around then no deal.

Can't overclock on B75.

You might consider an FX-8350 if this is indeed mostly for multimedia tasks. It's a ways behind the i5 in games though.

First off - use this RAM http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Overclocks like crazy and runs cool and small, will fit under any cooler (is smaller than the clips that hold it in)

Second - you can't multiplier overclock on that motherboard, meaning that you're wasting money by buying a K series chip. So either change your CPU to a non-K or change your motherboard to a Z77.

Go with an SSD now and get your larger drive later, which will be VERY SOON if you're doing video editing :)

Thanks! For me it is really Creative Suite, Adobe Lightroom 1st and Games 2nd. Would you recommend the AMD over then Intel then in a budget build?

Katyusha

I'm starting to regret not getting the Sapphire card, but sadly the MSI one was the only one available at my local Micro Center and I was unaware that the 7950s had quality issues. Should have done my research.

Not sure if this is best somewhere else but as I'll be running an SSD it there a way to install Steam itself to it but have a choice of which drive to install games to?

DTKT

Not sure if this is best somewhere else but as I'll be running an SSD it there a way to install Steam itself to it but have a choice of which drive to install games to?

Right now, any game running with the new CDN(Content Delivery Network, a new way to patch games), gives you a choice where to install the game.

kharma45

I'm starting to regret not getting the Sapphire card, but sadly the MSI one was the only one available at my local Micro Center and I was unaware that the 7950s had quality issues. Should have done my research.

It's still well within limits for heat, but you could always re-apply the thermal paste properly if you wanted to, but double check with MSI it won't invalidate your warranty where you are.

ss_lemonade

I'm doing a second post so this deal doesn't get missed.

SEASONIC X-750 ON NEWEGG FOR $90

That is $100 off MSRP.

Promo code: EMCYTZT2857
Changed plans to wait until the middle of this year to build a rig, but this is one tempting deal. If I order this now, what are the chances of receiving a malfunctioning psu? Guess I'll have to borrow a computer to test it out

mkenyon

Banned
With Seasonic, highly unlikely. But there is a 7 year warranty.

Though it is not perfect to test slight odd issues, you could jump it with the paperclip method to see if it actually turns on. Just plug a fan into one of the other connectors as the internal fan will not turn on unless the PSU is under heavy load.

Pandemic

Sorry for the late reply, PC froze then I needed to go out to get a few things.

My PC was custom built, and this is what I've gathered from the links..
My HDD brand is..
WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 1000.2GB (WD stands for Western Digital Corporation)

And my RAM brand is..
RAM : 4096 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 400.8 MHz (1:2) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Team Group Inc.
Slot 2 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Team Group Inc.

Hopefully that's the type of details you need

I'll take it that these two items are useless to keep for my new PC?

M.Bluth

Go for the 3GB. To repeat myself from what I've said in a previous post on here:

I just saw the thing about limited RAM access, will get the 3GB instead, thanks alot :)

n0n44m

My wife is having someone build a computer for me, but I feel kinda warry about their desire to go with SLI. Luckily the cards they wanted to use got discontinued so it's delayed, but should I go with SLI or just one beastly graphics card?

only get SLI once the best single GPU card isn't enough

bro1

Banned
Stupid question about Nvidia drivers. If i want things like Ambient Occlusion on in modern games, do I need to have it on in the drivers or just in game?

ss_lemonade

With Seasonic, highly unlikely. But there is a 7 year warranty.

Though it is not perfect to test slight odd issues, you could jump it with the paperclip method to see if it actually turns on. Just plug a fan into one of the other connectors as the internal fan will not turn on unless the PSU is under heavy load.
I see. Well, I placed the order already just to catch the deal. Thanks!

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Can you guys help me?

When I try to run Half Life 2 episode 1, it crashes at launch. The resolution gets all fucked before the crash, so I thought it was that my drivers aren't updated. I tried to use amds auto detect driver/update, and that failed (download failed 404).

Are these decent prices?

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor 1 $189.99
SKU: 425470
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler 1 $29.99
SKU: 303198
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard 1 $69.99
SKU: 391573

Microcenter

NoRéN

Are these decent prices?

Microcenter

FUCK! Yes to everything.

L.A. really needs a microcenter.

Koroviev

Are these decent prices?

Microcenter

Killer prices. Go, go, go!

Are these decent prices?

Microcenter

If I were to be anal with prices, my price for 3570k at MC was 169.99 in early january, and 212 Plus was $15 at newegg after rebates.

but still damn good prices at Microcenter.

Are these decent prices?

Microcenter

Are those prices in-store only? I live near one and I NEED that motherboard. I can't find the ad though.

Anyone familiar with the Asus VE monitors? I got a VE24H because it was the closest to what I was looking for at the time at a brick and mortar Microcenter when I was building my rig, but now I'm realizing it's never really brought up in monitor discussions. It's a 1080P LED backlit panel. Anyone else use one?

First upgrade will be an SSD. I'm aiming for a 250GB. Is $230 a lot to spend on one? My Microcenter has the 840 Pro in stock but I'm not sure I even need the pro if it's mainly for games. Should I just go with an M4 or 840 and save some money? edit: read SSD discussion earlier on this page

I have the Asus VE247H (maybe that's what you meant by VE24H?) and it has been just fine for me. Got it for around $150 I believe back in May 2011. My only complaint is with ghosting on any screen that is light grey or white. I found a setting with the menu options that fixes that issue, but it's sort of a hack if I remember correctly and doesn't save the settings each time you turn the monitor off, so I have just learned to live with it. I am overall happy with it for gaming or otherwise.

I recently upgraded my old non-gaming laptop with a new SSD and Windows 8 (up from a 5400 RPM hard drive and Windows Vista) ... OMG ... the difference is staggering. I still can't run many games, but it is soooo much faster for regular day to day use. I'm extremely happy that I upgraded my old laptop.

Now, I can probably hold off on upgrading my computer for a couple more years. I may upgrade from 3 GB to 4 GB of RAM now that I am using 64-bit, but I'm not sure it will make a big difference.

Pandemic

Is $2000 to much to spend on a PC...? I know nothing about technology, but I'm not sure how much I want to spend on a PC.

Pandemic

Depends on what you're doing with it. For gaming, you can build a killer rig for quite a bit less.

Mmm, it'll be mainly for gaming. Considering I'll probably use this PC I'm on now for work.

And when i say $2000, I mean in Australian dollars, so I'll probably get a shit PC for $2000 with the prices they have here in Australia. :/

Echoplx

Mmm, it'll be mainly for gaming. Considering I'll probably use this PC I'm on now for work.

And when i say $2000, I mean in Australian dollars, so I'll probably get a shit PC for $2000 with the prices they have here in Australia. :/

That's not true at all, our prices aren't as good but they aren't shit, just need to find the right stores, I would recommend http://www.umart.com.au/ and http://www.pccasegear.com/

I built my brother an i5/660ti PC with accessories (KB/m, monitor, wireless card etc) for around 1200 a few weeks ago.

Pandemic

That's not true at all, our prices aren't as good but they aren't shit, just need to find the right stores, I would recommend http://www.umart.com.au/ and http://www.pccasegear.com/

I built my brother an i5/660ti PC with accessories (KB/m, monitor, wireless card etc) for around 1200 a few weeks ago.

Again, I'm shit with PC stuff, so I'm guessing those specs are really good?

I'll definitely have a look at both those websites, thanks.

Echoplx

Again, I'm shit with PC stuff, so I'm guessing those specs are really good?

I'll definitely have a look at both those websites, thanks.

Those specs will handle the large majority of games at 1080p, the builds in the OP are good guides for what you should be buying at whatever price range you fit into so take a look at those.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I need a luxury microphone. I'm a man now, I don't want to wear a goofy headset. I want something classy and stationary, something that might be used in some high powered CEO's office. Ideally it could be directional so the speakers behind it wouldn't interfere, but also capable enough to pick up multiple people in the room. So when I have a friend at my side and a friend online we can all chat just like we were in the same room together. I currently have that zalman clip on mic for my sennheisers and its a fine product. But its annoying to deal with. I want something more substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom