• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulligan

Banned
I have a HIS 7970 and in games it's underperforming terribly. In Farcry 3 i get 15-20FPS maxed out or even when i change to low, same thing with Guild Wars 2 although i'm getting 40-50 but i should be getting a lot more.. On the HIS iTurbo GPU controller there is a power status and whenever i'm playing a game the status goes from green to red. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

-get low profile RAM like this
-get a Samsung 830 SSD or the 840 Pro, because they have a longer life span, than the 840
-appareantly EVGA cards are louder than other models, so try to choose an other brand like Gigabyte, Asus etc.

3.5 year expected life span, which is not good. 840 Pro, Crucial M4, or 830 recommended as the top 3. Kingston V300 and HyperX 3K also good.

The lifespan issue on the 840 is overblown imo The 3.5 year number everyone throws around assumes that you are writing 100GB every single day. If you move that much data then, yeah, the pro is for you.

The 840 is a compromised drive, but the compromises seem well calibrated for its intended market: normal PC users who subject their drives to light workloads and value read speed over write speeds.

The 250GB version is on Newegg right now for $150 which is a great deal.

kennah

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming: 4 | Gaming: 5 | Emulation [PS2/Wii]: 3, 5 if my PS2 ever dies | Video Editing: 1 | HD Streaming: 1 | 3D/Model work: 3, would love to be able to do this again! | General Usage [Word, Web, 1080p playback]: 5

Ok. Here's a brief build I came up with for you. Case is subject to your personal tastes, and if you want to change to something like a Small Form Factor PC things can be reworked. Some of these deals are time sensitive and the RAM is out of stock (hard to find in Canada but worth it) but anything can be changed and modified. What does everyone think about this.

CPU/Motherboard - 3570k Combo with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H on sale until tomorrow for 369. This might be more than you need though, another option would be a 3570k (229 everywhere) with the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 currently 122 at Newegg.ca

RAM - 8gig of the Samsung Green Currently out of stock but cheapest place in the country at $50

Video Card - This Gigabyte 7850 comes recommended: $199

Case - I'd recommend the Bitfenix Shinobi. It's on sale this week for $59 before rebate

PSU - VP450, though you might want to get one a liiiittle better than this like a BP550 or something modular. $49

Optical - LG BluRay Reader/DVD Burner $50

SSD - 128gig crucial m4 is enough to get you started for 108

OS - The Windows 8 Upgrade is still $40 for another day or two. Or Windows 7 is $90 from ncix

So, assuming Windows 8 and a not top of the line PSU you've got a pretty solid computer for 908 before taxes. Adding on the 13% HST you get to $1026.

Now this doesn't include shipping, and I wasn't looking around everywhere for deals. If you're able to wait for a bit and at the same time are able to jump on deals as they come up, you should easily be able to stay under $1000. If you are in a place that has an NCIX or a Canada Computers close by, that can help. Or if you're near Windsor and can hop over to Detroit you could go to Microcenter and save a hell of a lot of money. Sadly the nature of our country is going to mean that you're going to frequently get screwed over with shipping. But grouping things together helps. Choosing the slowest shipping option helps.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have a HIS 7970 and in games it's underperforming terribly. In Farcry 3 i get 15-20FPS maxed out or even when i change to low, same thing with Guild Wars 2 although i'm getting 40-50 but i should be getting a lot more.. On the HIS iTurbo GPU controller there is a power status and whenever i'm playing a game the status goes from green to red. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

I hope someone comments on this.

That is an expensive card for such poor performance.

M.Bluth

I'm only guessing here, but it might be an issue with the card not getting enough power...? Check the PCI-E power cables

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Posted?`

Intel_Ivy_Bridge_EP_EX.png

15 Core Ivy Bridge on the horizon.

scogoth

Thanks mkenyon! Everything arrived today. Now just need new CPU, mobo, another GPU block, dinoc everything, re do my loop, black out the ram slots, re do wiring, sleeve the PSU and make a pie.

Some googling led me to this thread with a similar problem.

It seems to be a driver bug. Someone suggests an alternate driver and it solves the problem. So maybe try that? Either way I hope you get it fixed, something like that would drive me apoplectic.

mkenyon

Banned
Sounds like it's probably CPU related. Rest of your specs?

Anyone want to take a guess as to why the new computer at church won't output to the projector? Graphics card is a Geforce 650. Here's the projector. I know nothing about projectors. It's plugged into the VGA input on the projector, going to a converter to DVI into the 650. Have three other monitors here and have plugged them all in every which way two at a time no problem, but it just absolutely doesn't see the projector even if it's by itself and regardless of which DVI port I use. Worked fine on the old computer, but there were no converters involved, just straight VGA cause it was ancient.

So does anybody know anything about the Roccat Kone [+]?

I need a gaming mouse and have a gift card to newegg. It seems to be exactly what I am looking for except I have found a large number of complaints about the scroll wheel breaking/not working out of the box. Anyone here have one?

kennah

Anyone want to take a guess as to why the new computer at church won't output to the projector? Graphics card is a Geforce 650. Here's the projector. I know nothing about projectors. It's plugged into the VGA input on the projector, going to a converter to DVI into the 650. Have three other monitors here and have plugged them all in every which way two at a time no problem, but it just absolutely doesn't see the projector even if it's by itself and regardless of which DVI port I use. Worked fine on the old computer, but there were no converters involved, just straight VGA cause it was ancient.

Did you try a different VGA cable? You're certain it's the input - this projector has a VGA output. Did you try having a monitor plugged in and then seeing if you could Extend the desktop to the projector? Have you tried an HDMI cable?

Did you try a different VGA cable? You're certain it's the input - this projector has a VGA output. Did you try having a monitor plugged in and then seeing if you could Extend the desktop to the projector? Have you tried an HDMI cable?

Cancel that. I got it. Thanks for your help.

When spending AROUND $600 (give or take) on a GPU, what's considered the sweet spot for 1080p?

I'm seeing options ranging from 680GTX @ ~$460, 7970 @ ~$380 for the two top end cards, and I can squeeze 7950 *2 Crossfire, or 670 *2 SLI for ~$600 respectively.

From someone who's never went down the 2 graphics card road before, should I stick with a single card, or dip my toes into multi-GPU setup for the extra dough?

This would be in an i5 3570k/Z77 system.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Can you guys help me?

When I try to run Half Life 2 episode 1, it crashes at launch. The resolution gets all fucked before the crash, so I thought it was that my drivers aren't updated. I tried to use amds auto detect driver/update, and that failed (download failed 404).

Can anyone help with this? I updated my drivers, and every game plays fine, except for all of the Half Life games...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I got everything built. It's running super quiet and very very fast.

I'll post some pics of the build process here in a while. Real quick though there is something I need help with.

I have a Syncmaster p2570 Samsung Monitor that I'm using with my HD7950. Prior to this build I was using DVI to connect to the monitor. With this build I've got it connected via HDMI something I've noticed is on the left side of the monitor there is about an extra half inch that is not displaying anything, however, on the right hand side it goes over the screen about a half inch.

Now I have gone in and tried to adjust the orientation on the monitor itself however those options are grayed out. I can only adjust it to 4:3, 16:9, or 'screen fit'. When I select screen fit it cuts both sides off about 1/2 inch from the edge of the monitor.

What am I to do go back to DVI? Yes, I have the latest drivers for the 7950 (catalyst control) or whatever and installed the drivers for the Syncmaster monitor as well.

ps. Screen text is a little blurry as well.

Mulligan

Banned
What is the HIS program exactly? Does it just monitor stuff or might it be powering down your card for some reason?

I think i was wrong in my assumption and that the red means that it's using a fair amount of power whilst green means it's lower power which would make sense seeing as it's always green whilst it's idle and red when in games. Still doesn't explain why my 7970 is running like shit though... I'm going to try switching drivers.

Dizzy

Banned
I built a new PC and I need wifi. Is there any benefit to buying a £20 USB adapter as opposed to a £5 one?

Scrabble

This might be a silly question but will sli help with video memory? For example, if I add a second 1.25gb gtx 570 will that alleviate the issue when increasing resolution or anti-aliasing? Or is two 1.25gb cards still just 1.25gb of video memory?

Hawk269

This might be a silly question but will sli help with video memory? For example, if I add a second 1.25gb gtx 570 will that alleviate the issue when increasing resolution or anti-aliasing? Or is two 1.25gb cards still just 1.25gb of video memory?

No. Crossfire/SLI does not not stack up the Video Ram. If you have 2 cards at 1.25gb, you can only use max 1.25gb in Crossfire/SLI.

Smokey

I have been defeated.

I can't max out Crysis 3 at 2560x1600, and obtain 30fps let alone 60fps. was sitting at 25fps with both GPUs pegged at 99%. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU
This was with 8x MSAA. Yes I know my resolution etc etc but ITS THE PRINCIPLE

I forgot what this feels like :(

Mulligan

Banned
Okay, so i've tried changing drivers to no avail. I'm getting constant 5FPS in Far Cry 3...
The weird thing is that i only built my PC last week and it's been fine up to now. I had Battlefield 3 running at 70-110 in multiplayer, Guild Wars 2 was running at 80FPS and Far Cry 3 running at 45-60 FPS. Now for some reason B3 is down to 40-55, GW2 down to 40-50 and Far Cry down to 5FPS.. i havn't changed anything between last week and now so i have no idea what's going on.

TheStevo

Banned
Can someone provide some opinions on Tobisha HDDs? I'm debating between the WD Black 2TB on Newegg (only $150), yet this Toshiba 2TB model is $110? I don't have any background, or firsthand experience with Toshiba.

DietRob

So I got everything built. It's running super quiet and very very fast.

I'll post some pics of the build process here in a while. Real quick though there is something I need help with.

I have a Syncmaster p2570 Samsung Monitor that I'm using with my HD7950. Prior to this build I was using DVI to connect to the monitor. With this build I've got it connected via HDMI something I've noticed is on the left side of the monitor there is about an extra half inch that is not displaying anything, however, on the right hand side it goes over the screen about a half inch.

Now I have gone in and tried to adjust the orientation on the monitor itself however those options are grayed out. I can only adjust it to 4:3, 16:9, or 'screen fit'. When I select screen fit it cuts both sides off about 1/2 inch from the edge of the monitor.

What am I to do go back to DVI? Yes, I have the latest drivers for the 7950 (catalyst control) or whatever and installed the drivers for the Syncmaster monitor as well.

ps. Screen text is a little blurry as well.

Please?

Jessicat

I guess I'm basically the CanadaGAF PC helper here, so I'll put something together for you. Are you able to put it together yourself or are you wanting something assembled? $1000 is lots of room to work with. You should be able to reuse your mouse and keyboard (look and see if they are a rectangle plug or a circle plug). Your monitor is likely pretty great and still fine. SSD is totally an option and you could probably reuse your existing hard drive(s) how many do you have and how big? DVD burner is cheap and easily done. Adding bluray isn't that much more but the playback software on computers is generally pretty ehn. Windows 7 is fine, just as good as xp if not better. But that means you'll need to purchase an OS. Any video card you get will be able to do multimonitor no problem. Let me work on this a little bit.

Also, where are you?
I haven't put together a full computer from a pile of parts and a case before, just replaced a few things [harddrive, disc drive, RAM] as necessary. I'm kind of afraid I'll mess it up somehow ._.; My 5-button mouse is starting to get sticky keys [...it's actually older than my computer, the 2 side buttons for forward/backward webpage browsing is actually really handy XD], so unless there's a good way to clean it up I may as well go for a new one. I don't even know if XP is still purchasable, I'd buy it if it is [is running multiple OS's a bad thing?] I don't think I want Windows 8, or anything to do with touch screens/pads right now. Thankfully the keyboard and mouse both use USB plugs. The monitor's got a VGA plug, not sure if that's old and obsolete yet or not. My old harddrive might be dead/dying, it's only about 230GB [advertised as 250GB :/], the second one I've gone through on this computer, and it makes strange clicky noises, I'm thinking it might be busted/dying very slowly, the first one had the same problem to the point that it can only run for about 30 minutes before everything locks up and dies while making those strange noises x.x I also have an external 1TB drive. I only need a blu-ray reader, don't plan on burning blu-rays any time soon. Is it possible to have a bunch of USB ports on the front and back? I swear everything is USB these days, and the tower I have now only has 2 on the front, 4 on the back, and sometimes it's not enough. I need a scanner/printer too, everything I have is broken it seems XD
I'm located in Ontario [Toronto].

Ok. Here's a brief build I came up with for you. Case is subject to your personal tastes, and if you want to change to something like a Small Form Factor PC things can be reworked. Some of these deals are time sensitive and the RAM is out of stock (hard to find in Canada but worth it) but anything can be changed and modified. What does everyone think about this.

CPU/Motherboard - 3570k Combo with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H on sale until tomorrow for 369. This might be more than you need though, another option would be a 3570k (229 everywhere) with the ASRock Z77 Extreme3 currently 122 at Newegg.ca

RAM - 8gig of the Samsung Green Currently out of stock but cheapest place in the country at $50

Video Card - This Gigabyte 7850 comes recommended: $199

Case - I'd recommend the Bitfenix Shinobi. It's on sale this week for $59 before rebate

PSU - VP450, though you might want to get one a liiiittle better than this like a BP550 or something modular. $49

Optical - LG BluRay Reader/DVD Burner $50

SSD - 128gig crucial m4 is enough to get you started for 108

OS - The Windows 8 Upgrade is still $40 for another day or two. Or Windows 7 is $90 from ncix

So, assuming Windows 8 and a not top of the line PSU you've got a pretty solid computer for 908 before taxes. Adding on the 13% HST you get to $1026.

Now this doesn't include shipping, and I wasn't looking around everywhere for deals. If you're able to wait for a bit and at the same time are able to jump on deals as they come up, you should easily be able to stay under $1000. If you are in a place that has an NCIX or a Canada Computers close by, that can help. Or if you're near Windsor and can hop over to Detroit you could go to Microcenter and save a hell of a lot of money. Sadly the nature of our country is going to mean that you're going to frequently get screwed over with shipping. But grouping things together helps. Choosing the slowest shipping option helps.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out. I do frequently get sale emails from tigerdirect.ca, they're good to buy from too, right?

t-ramp

Can someone provide some opinions on Tobisha HDDs? I'm debating between the WD Black 2TB on Newegg (only $150), yet this Toshiba 2TB model is $110? I don't have any background, or firsthand experience with Toshiba.
That looks exactly like a Hitachi. From a quick search it seems WD, Hitachi, and Toshiba are all sort of partners in the hard drive business to a degree, so I don't really know what to say. I like my Hitachi 1.5TB that I got a year or so ago, though.

And, regarding Toshiba, my laptop came with a Toshiba drive installed and has been treated like shit, but it's still working great as an external drive.

Ocho

Thanks mkenyon! Everything arrived today. Now just need new CPU, mobo, another GPU block, dinoc everything, re do my loop, black out the ram slots, re do wiring, sleeve the PSU and make a pie.

And play more battlefield. Just saying.

smr00

Banned
So what one of these builds would be the best/cheapest to play Starcraft 2 on the highest settings without getting massive frame loss in huge battles, play Diablo 3 on highest without getting massive frame loss and maybe a few other games like a Skyrim/Fallout NV on highish settings around 60fps?

I can spend around $1000-1200 but i also have to take into account i need a monitor/keyboard. Mostly i will be playing Diablo/Starcraft. Also i would prefer the items be available on amazon since it doesn't charge me tax, new egg does. Amazon i feel would give me more wiggle room because of the $ i would save from tax.

Ok so I have a question. I gave a gtx 670 4gb and I'm playing at 1080p and get above 60 but when I play on my 1440p monitor the frames drop, I thought the extra 2gb ram was supposed to help with greater resolutions??

kennah

I haven't put together a full computer from a pile of parts and a case before, just replaced a few things [harddrive, disc drive, RAM] as necessary. I'm kind of afraid I'll mess it up somehow ._.; My 5-button mouse is starting to get sticky keys [...it's actually older than my computer, the 2 side buttons for forward/backward webpage browsing is actually really handy XD], so unless there's a good way to clean it up I may as well go for a new one. I don't even know if XP is still purchasable, I'd buy it if it is [is running multiple OS's a bad thing?] I don't think I want Windows 8, or anything to do with touch screens/pads right now. Thankfully the keyboard and mouse both use USB plugs. The monitor's got a VGA plug, not sure if that's old and obsolete yet or not. My old harddrive might be dead/dying, it's only about 230GB [advertised as 250GB :/], the second one I've gone through on this computer, and it makes strange clicky noises, I'm thinking it might be busted/dying very slowly, the first one had the same problem to the point that it can only run for about 30 minutes before everything locks up and dies while making those strange noises x.x I also have an external 1TB drive. I only need a blu-ray reader, don't plan on burning blu-rays any time soon. Is it possible to have a bunch of USB ports on the front and back? I swear everything is USB these days, and the tower I have now only has 2 on the front, 4 on the back, and sometimes it's not enough. I need a scanner/printer too, everything I have is broken it seems XD
I'm located in Ontario [Toronto].

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out. I do frequently get sale emails from tigerdirect.ca, they're good to buy from too, right?
Windows 8 isn't necessarily about touch screens and all the Metro stuff can be disabled. The problem with Windows XP is thay it is no longer supported. No directx 10 or 11, drivers for things may not be available and such. Tigerdirect is fine. Good luck and this thread is a good place to go with questions.

Smokey

Ok so I have a question. I gave a gtx 670 4gb and I'm playing at 1080p and get above 60 but when I play on my 1440p monitor the frames drop, I thought the extra 2gb ram was supposed to help with greater resolutions??

Your VRAM has nothing to do with the graphical power of your card. You have plenty of VRAM. Extra VRAM really comes in handy if you run a lot of texture mods on games. Even then you will not hit that 4GB limit on your card. You're also rendering an extra 1,612,800 pixels when playing at 1440p vs. 1080p. That's quite a load for a single 670. That's why at that resolution and higher if you want to still play at high settings with high fps, SLI/Xfire is your answer.

t-ramp

Your VRAM has nothing to do with the graphical power of your card. You have plenty of VRAM. You're rendering an extra 1,612,800 pixels when playing at 1440p vs. 1080p. That's quite a load for a single 670. That's why at that resolution and higher if you want to still play at high settings with high fps, SLI/Xfire is your answer.
Yeah, VRAM's not going to come into play unless you're running out of it. I wish I had more than 1GB on my 6870s...

scogoth

It does for textures but more pixels means more geometry which needs more power.

Your VRAM has nothing to do with the graphical power of your card. You have plenty of VRAM. Extra VRAM really comes in handy if you run a lot of texture mods on games. Even then you will not hit that 4GB limit on your card. You're also rendering an extra 1,612,800 pixels when playing at 1440p vs. 1080p. That's quite a load for a single 670. That's why at that resolution and higher if you want to still play at high settings with high fps, SLI/Xfire is your answer.

Ahhh I see, damn guys I'm going to have to buy another 670 soon for crysis 3... Thanks a lot for the speedy response!!

iavi

Man does anyone know of a deal on the 3570K? Those `189 Microcenter deals are killer, but I only live near a fry's.

DietRob

getting ready to post pics of the new build. will anyone answer my questions I posted twice already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom