• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is $2000 to much to spend on a PC...? I know nothing about technology, but I'm not sure how much I want to spend on a PC.
Fill out the list in the OP
I need a luxury microphone. I'm a man now, I don't want to wear a goofy headset. I want something classy and stationary, something that might be used in some high powered CEO's office. Ideally it could be directional so the speakers behind it wouldn't interfere, but also capable enough to pick up multiple people in the room. So when I have a friend at my side and a friend online we can all chat just like we were in the same room together. I currently have that zalman clip on mic for my sennheisers and its a fine product. But its annoying to deal with. I want something more substantial.
Speakers will screw you over.
I like the Blue Yeti.

Alternatively ModMic when production is good.

Loxley

Hey guys, bit of a tech question. I mostly play my PC games on a laptop (I know :/), and every now and then - typically with newer games - every 15-20 or seconds my framerate takes a complete nose-dive for about 2-3 seconds and then resumes it's normal framerate once again. For example, a game will go from 50-60 fps to about 8-10 fps briefly and then back up.

My processor is a Core i7-2630 and GPU is a GTX 560M, any idea what might be causing this? I've been assuming it's just my processor taking on more than it can handle, but given how predictably and constently the framerate drop happens, I'm not completely sure.

ominator

Neo Member
so, i just bought a new PC (i7 3770k + gtx680SC). now i need a new monitor.
i want to use it for working (Programming/gameprogramming) and gaming. so my desired monitor would be a 2560x1440x120hz. but except for catleap/overlord (which i have to OC and i don't know about longevity, also warranty (i live in germany)) there is nothing out there.
so it would either be a compromise - 1440px60hz IPS or 1080px120hz TN.
for the first one i found the dell U2711/13 and the second one either the benq xl2420t or the asus vg278h. also i'm not 100% sure about the size. either 24" or 27" (ok, if it's 1440p it would definitly be 27").
do you have any experience/suggestions. especially about a 1440p gaming monitor?

edit: yay. after 7 years having a PC again :D

Chili

i want to use it for working (Programming/gameprogramming) and gaming. so my desired monitor would be a 2560x1440x120hz. but except for catleap/overlord (which i have to OC and i don't know about longevity, also warranty (i live in germany)) there is nothing out there.
for the first one i found the dell U2711/13 and the second one either the benq xl2420t or the asus vg278h. also i'm not 100% sure about the size. either 24" or 27" (ok, if it's 1440p it would definitly be 27").
do you have any experience/suggestions. especially about a 1440p gaming monitor?

I bought my Catleap from 120hz.net. They offer a warranty with return shipping, although it looks like the prices have increased significantly since I ordered. My monitor does not overclock to 120hz, most it gets to is 115Hz. I'm still very happy with it though. Previously I was using an iMac screen (2560x1440x60Hz) and I tried a 1080Px120Hz and I felt the resolution downgrade was too much so if you can I would go for a 27" IPS screen at 2560x1440, even if it is only 60Hz.

Edit: I should have mentioned also, that if you plan to play games with that higher resolution then you probably need a dual-GPU card or SLI if you want to max out the graphics for newer games, particularly if you want to go over 60fps. Otherwise, 1080p would be better.

Addnan

Ordered the rest of the parts.

In the end went with

Samsung RAM
Season x-series 750
MSI z77a gd65
Coolermaster CM690 II Black + White
1tb caviar black
Samsung 830 128GB
Gigabyte GTX 670
+ the hyper 212 cooler

I know the MSI motherboard is not in the OP, but I got a pretty good deal on it and seems to have got decent reviews.

Now have to hope Royal Mail can get the cooler to me tomorrow so I can start building!

kitch9

Banned
Stupid question about Nvidia drivers. If i want things like Ambient Occlusion on in modern games, do I need to have it on in the drivers or just in game?

If its an option in the game, use the game option.

Forcing stuff through drivers can sometimes cause problems...

I bought a 2713 last week, and I'm very impressed with it.

This review influenced my decision a lot:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-dell-u2713hm.html

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Did you find some?

Yes I did. Got lucky really. Pretty excited for this build.

500 for both cards. They are reference design but I will live. The goal is to use these and offload them in a year and then upgrade to some nice cards. I probably won't be OC'ing but if I do, it won't be a big push. With the factory OC the 2 cards come in, I get on par performance with a 690!

scogoth

What program would I need to show CPU/GPU usage on my screen so that I can monitor it when playing games?

MSI Afterburner/EVGA PrecisionX/any other riva tuner based program for GPU usage + hwinfo64 for CPU usage configured to display it through riva tuner.

Hey guys, looking to build a new SFF computer and looking for some opinions, here's what I currently have thanks to mkenyon's list.

• Your Current Specs:
    CPU: i3 3220
    RAM: 8GB Samsung 30nm
    Mobo: Asus P8H77-I
    PSU: Antec VP450
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 120
  • Budget: $600, USA
  • Main Use: 5 - General Usage, 3 - Photoshop & Lightroom 4, 2 - Light Gaming
  • Monitor Resolution: 1080p, though I do want a new monitor with higher resolution
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: No
  • When will you build?: About a month
  • Will you be overclocking?: No

Main thing I'd like help with is choosing a video card. The computer will be mainly used for photoshop and general usage, although I do play games every now and then. The last thing I did play though, was Diablo 3.

It also recommended a SSD, but the space was pretty low for the price.. I wanted to get a 1TB max since photos take up a lot of room. Are people using the SSD to run the OS & applications and a regular HDD for everything else?

Thanks!

scogoth

Hey guys, looking to build a new SFF computer and looking for some opinions, here's what I currently have thanks to mkenyon's list.

• Your Current Specs:
    CPU: i3 3220
    RAM: 8GB Samsung 30nm
    Mobo: Asus P8H77-I
    PSU: Antec VP450
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 120
  • Budget: $600, USA
  • Main Use: 5 - General Usage, 3 - Photoshop & Lightroom 4, 2 - Light Gaming
  • Monitor Resolution: 1080p, though I do want a new monitor with higher resolution
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: No
  • When will you build?: About a month
  • Will you be overclocking?: No

Main thing I'd like help with is choosing a video card. The computer will be mainly used for photoshop and general usage, although I do play games every now and then. The last thing I did play though, was Diablo 3.

It also recommended a SSD, but the space was pretty low for the price.. I wanted to get a 1TB max since photos take up a lot of room. Are people using the SSD to run the OS & applications and a regular HDD for everything else?

Thanks!

GPU a 650 or 660 so you can use CUDA for photoshop plugins.
SSD, yes for OS and applications. It will make a world of differnece for photoshop even if its only 64GB

kharma45

It's a bit faster than the normal 650 but you're still better off with a 660.

SSD wise get the Samsung 830 if you still can.

mkenyon

Banned
Right all parts locked down finally.

Now real talk. Do I get Windows 8?
Nope. Win 7 still.
How is the Samsung 840 SSD (Samsung
840-Series MZ-7TD120BW 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD))? Microcenter is selling it for $99 right now.
3.5 year expected life span, which is not good. 840 Pro, Crucial M4, or 830 recommended as the top 3. Kingston V300 and HyperX 3K also good.
I need a luxury microphone. I'm a man now, I don't want to wear a goofy headset. I want something classy and stationary, something that might be used in some high powered CEO's office. Ideally it could be directional so the speakers behind it wouldn't interfere, but also capable enough to pick up multiple people in the room. So when I have a friend at my side and a friend online we can all chat just like we were in the same room together. I currently have that zalman clip on mic for my sennheisers and its a fine product. But its annoying to deal with. I want something more substantial.
The other people on voice will hate you because there *will* be feedback on speakers. There is no way to avoid it.

Right all parts locked down finally.

Now real talk. Do I get Windows 8?

I vote yes. It isn't beyond Microsoft to restrict certain things to their newest version of Windows, e.g. DirectX10 restricted to Vista, essentially cutting off XP users. Even if Windows 8 results in 1-3% reduced performance compared to W7, I think not having to fear being cut-off from new versions of DirectX and so forth make it worthwhile. Just my two cents.

Ty4on

Hey guys, bit of a tech question. I mostly play my PC games on a laptop (I know :/), and every now and then - typically with newer games - every 15-20 or seconds my framerate takes a complete nose-dive for about 2-3 seconds and then resumes it's normal framerate once again. For example, a game will go from 50-60 fps to about 8-10 fps briefly and then back up.

My processor is a Core i7-2630 and GPU is a GTX 560M, any idea what might be causing this? I've been assuming it's just my processor taking on more than it can handle, but given how predictably and constently the framerate drop happens, I'm not completely sure.

Could be overheating like someone said. My laptop would cycle between 10-20fps and playable 40-60fps when it overheated. Check temps in Afterburner and Core temp, around 90C is usually when they start throttling (differs for different chips) and if temp seems to be the reason open it and get dust from the heatsink(s). You can remove a lot without even a vacuum cleaner and just taking off the cover above the fan(s).

Ty4on

Thanks. I noticed that there's a Ti version, what's the difference? What's a good brand for a 64GB SSD?

Ti is Nvidia being confusing. 660 competes with the 7850 (and sort of 7870) while the 660ti competes with the 7950. Two totally different price classes.

With 650 and 650ti the ti is also much better, but that's because the 650 is so crappy. The 660 is much better for the price and it has the same memory bandwidth as the 660ti. Memory bandwidth is usually the bottleneck in 6XX GPUs ;)

Edit: Sorry for double post. I'm on an iPad so copying everything over will be a mess.

kharma45

Undecided on my Graphics card. Can someone with some experience with these two cards let me know whats the better overall one to get?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130768

The rest of my build is pretty much the exact thing as the OP's excellent build.

performance difference is roughly this

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=555

Up to you whether the price difference justifies that, for me it doesn't.

kennah

660 Twin Frozr III is installed and perfectly functional! Haven't done full benches yet, but it's quite an improvement from the 6850. I did do 13.2 benches before pulling out the AMD card, but haven't analyzed the data yet (google drive doesn't have a 'fill down' function, and I forgot to bring the files to work). There didn't seem to be any point wise improvements on the benches I ran, but I'll see what the frametimes results are. Went from P32xx to P53xx in 3dMark11 and ~1335 to ~22xx in Heaven. Played a bit of borderlands with vsync and 'capped 60fps' setting and it barely dipped below 60. Now to wait on the rest of the upgrade.

Jessicat

Hey all, I'm way overdue for a new computer [mine's probably having a literal meltdown after kicking around for like, 7 years, and it's a pre-assembled pile of Dell crap ;>>], but I'm not really all that knowledgable on picking parts, or what would be best for my price range [~$1000, but should be able to make do with my old monitor, speakers and keyboard], and DIY assembling scares me ._.; So I need a bit of help, is this the thread I'm looking for? ^^;

Varg

Banned
performance difference is roughly this

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=555

Up to you whether the price difference justifies that, for me it doesn't.

Thank you for showing this site. One last quick question. Looking at the excellent build in the OP, am i good to go ps2 and dolphin emu wise? No problem running those bad boys? How about if i want to start streaming on lets say twitch. Would i need additional components (more ram, I7 CPU) or am i still good with the I5 and 8Gbs?

Hey all, I'm way overdue for a new computer [mine's probably having a literal meltdown after kicking around for like, 7 years, and it's a pre-assembled pile of Dell crap ;>>], but I'm not really all that knowledgable on picking parts, or what would be best for my price range [~$1000, but should be able to make do with my old monitor, speakers and keyboard], and DIY assembling scares me ._.; So I need a bit of help, is this the thread I'm looking for? ^^;

This is definitely the thread. I made mine from zero previous knowledge, through the help of these gents.

Early January

It's a bit faster than the normal 650 but you're still better off with a 660.

SSD wise get the Samsung 830 if you still can.

Ti is Nvidia being confusing. 660 competes with the 7850 (and sort of 7870) while the 660ti competes with the 7950. Two totally different price classes.

With 650 and 650ti the ti is also much better, but that's because the 650 is so crappy. The 660 is much better for the price and it has the same memory bandwidth as the 660ti. Memory bandwidth is usually the bottleneck in 6XX GPUs ;)

Edit: Sorry for double post. I'm on an iPad so copying everything over will be a mess.

Thanks! Any other recommendations for a SSD if I can't find the 830 series? Seems like it's mostly out of stock.

kharma45

Thank you for showing this site. One last quick question. Looking at the excellent build in the OP, am i good to go ps2 and dolphin emu wise? No problem running those bad boys? How about if i want to start streaming on lets say twitch. Would i need additional components (more ram, I7 CPU) or am i still good with the I5 and 8Gbs?

8GB RAM will be plenty, not entirely sure on the i5 vs i7 for emulation and streaming so I'll say nothing :p

Thanks! Any other recommendations for a SSD if I can't find the 830 series? Seems like it's mostly out of stock.

Crucial M4, Kingston V300, Samsung 840 Pro.

Your Current Specs: It's a laptop.
Budget: £400ish, so in the UK
Main Use: Heavy gaming, 1080p playback (and misc. word processing)
Monitor Resolution:
I'll be playing on my 42'' 1080p telly for the foreseeable future, and if/when I get a separate monitor I probably won't go above 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like to see TSW on max graphics at the above resolution, at 30-60FPS. Other modern games would be nice to see at max graphics as well, though if that doesn't work with my budget in mind then medium-high graphics would be fine.

When will you build?:
I would like to buy it for myself when it is my birthday (May), so if waiting a couple of months would result in drastically cheaper prices on components then I'm more than happy to wait it out.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe? If it would mean I could get more power/£.

Also, since I'll be playing this on the big screen, I would like something with an HTTPC form-factor. I have built computers in the past, and am confident in being able to combine everything, but it's been many years since I was into the whole PC-building business so that's why I'm not confident in picking out the appropriate components now.

Jessicat

I tried:

Your Current Specs:
Uh, a crappy Dell desktop computer, Dimension 4700 I think?
-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz
-2.99GB RAM [of 4GB, upgraded from the original 512MB]
...dunno where to find the rest of the info for the specs...it's really bad though, lol

Budget: Price Range + Country
Around ~$1,000. I'm in Canada, would prefer buying from places with cheap/free shipping XD

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming: 4 | Gaming: 5 | Emulation [PS2/Wii]: 3, 5 if my PS2 ever dies | Video Editing: 1 | HD Streaming: 1 | 3D/Model work: 3, would love to be able to do this again! | General Usage [Word, Web, 1080p playback]: 5

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
Not sure if I can afford a new monitor right now, my current one [Dell] is supposed to be able to max out at 1600x1200. A widescreen monitor would be nice, I honestly don't know what res I want my games at considering I can barely even open them on my old comp XD the 1600x1200 range would be nice, more would be nicer, but not a huge need.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
-Would love to be able to play some 3D MMOs without having to disable all the graphic effects [Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE Online, Digimon Masters Online...I'm lame okay? XD]
-Also, Skyrim, would buy again to not have the framerate-fest that's on the PS3 version

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model
I need to figure out what I have XD Will definitly be keeping my wireless adapter as it's the only thing that works properly still, unless there's better/it's incompatible [D-Link Air Plus XtremeG Wireless PCI Adapter - DWL-G520]

When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?
My current computer has been running in undead mode for over a year [I get BSODs often, really bad lag, strange noises coming from the harddrive, and I've re-installed Windows about 7 times...] would love to get this figured out in a month or so tops, if possible. My bro had a friend wanting to help me out last May, but he went AWOL so I'm on my own :/

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
I...don't know? Is this a good thing? Can bad things happen? I'll leave this undecided, lol.

*edit* I think that PC Parts Picker website just got me more confused x.x Basically I'm looking for a decent desktop; with parts that can be upgraded later if needed [so even if I don't need 64GB of ram right now, the option to upgrade later would be nice XD], blu-ray player would be great becaus my PS3 keeps dying, DVD burner would be a plus bit not really necessary, graphics cards I'm clueless on ^^; I only want a simple 5-button mouse, can't seem to find one similar to the one I have now. No touch screens/pads, I know I'll miss XP but I really don't want Win8. Or 7, but I know I'll be out of luck on that. An SSD at least to run the OS sounds like the best choice to go with, but unsure if a big harddrive or multiple smaller harddrives are best for the rest of the data storage, or if I should use another SSD here too, lol. My bro has a neat double monitor setup, if I do get a new monitor I'd still like to incorporate my old one, if possible. Or maybe use my Samsung 24" TV/Monitor once I get settled in my new place, if I can find the right cord for it [this computer I have won't survive the move, so yea XD]

Poker360

Anyone have thoughts on my first PC build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ajvj

Will be ordering in the near future. Any suggestions or things that I have that seem unnecessary or a way to save costs?

Thanks!

Main use: Gaming and internet browsing
budget: $1500.. the cheaper the better though
specific games to run well: New release games such as crysis 3, dead space 3, battlefield 3, etc... preferrably on high or max settings without dropping below 30fps
monitor resolution: 1080p
when will i build: within a few months
overclocking: yes

Akai__

Will be ordering in the near future. Any suggestions or things that I have that seem unnecessary or a way to save costs?

Thanks!

specific games to run well: New release games such as crysis 3, dead space 3, battlefield 3, etc... preferrably on high or max settings without dropping below 30fps

-get low profile RAM like this
-get a Samsung 830 SSD or the 840 Pro, because they have a longer life span, than the 840
-appareantly EVGA cards are louder than other models, so try to choose an other brand like Gigabyte, Asus etc.

kharma45

Your Current Specs: It's a laptop.
Budget: £400ish, so in the UK
Main Use: Heavy gaming, 1080p playback (and misc. word processing)
Monitor Resolution:
I'll be playing on my 42'' 1080p telly for the foreseeable future, and if/when I get a separate monitor I probably won't go above 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like to see TSW on max graphics at the above resolution, at 30-60FPS. Other modern games would be nice to see at max graphics as well, though if that doesn't work with my budget in mind then medium-high graphics would be fine.

When will you build?:
I would like to buy it for myself when it is my birthday (May), so if waiting a couple of months would result in drastically cheaper prices on components then I'm more than happy to wait it out.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe? If it would mean I could get more power/£.

Also, since I'll be playing this on the big screen, I would like something with an HTTPC form-factor. I have built computers in the past, and am confident in being able to combine everything, but it's been many years since I was into the whole PC-building business so that's why I'm not confident in picking out the appropriate components now.

For £400 you'd be looking at maybe an i3 and a 7850, throw something together from the OP as a mix between the budget and standard build and see how you get on.

For a small form factor this will also be helpful, the Cooler Master case is probably the best you'll do that this sort of money http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42660100&postcount=195

I tried:

Your Current Specs:
Uh, a crappy Dell desktop computer, Dimension 4700 I think?
-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.4GHz
-2.99GB RAM [of 4GB, upgraded from the original 512MB]
...dunno where to find the rest of the info for the specs...it's really bad though, lol

Budget: Price Range + Country
Around ~$1,000. I'm in Canada, would prefer buying from places with cheap/free shipping XD

Light Gaming: 4 | Gaming: 5 | Emulation [PS2/Wii]: 3, 5 if my PS2 ever dies | Video Editing: 1 | HD Streaming: 1 | 3D/Model work: 3, would love to be able to do this again! | General Usage [Word, Web, 1080p playback]: 5

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
Not sure if I can afford a new monitor right now, my current one [Dell] is supposed to be able to max out at 1600x1200. A widescreen monitor would be nice, I honestly don't know what res I want my games at considering I can barely even open them on my old comp XD the 1600x1200 range would be nice, more would be nicer, but not a huge need.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
-Would love to be able to play some 3D MMOs without having to disable all the graphic effects [Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE Online, Digimon Masters Online...I'm lame okay? XD]
-Also, Skyrim, would buy again to not have the framerate-fest that's on the PS3 version

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model
I need to figure out what I have XD Will definitly be keeping my wireless adapter as it's the only thing that works properly still, unless there's better/it's incompatible [D-Link Air Plus XtremeG Wireless PCI Adapter - DWL-G520]

When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?
My current computer has been running in undead mode for over a year [I get BSODs often, really bad lag, strange noises coming from the harddrive, and I've re-installed Windows about 7 times...] would love to get this figured out in a month or so tops, if possible. My bro had a friend wanting to help me out last May, but he went AWOL so I'm on my own :/

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
I...don't know? Is this a good thing? Can bad things happen? I'll leave this undecided, lol.

*edit* I think that PC Parts Picker website just got me more confused x.x Basically I'm looking for a decent desktop; with parts that can be upgraded later if needed [so even if I don't need 64GB of ram right now, the option to upgrade later would be nice XD], blu-ray player would be great becaus my PS3 keeps dying, DVD burner would be a plus bit not really necessary, graphics cards I'm clueless on ^^; I only want a simple 5-button mouse, can't seem to find one similar to the one I have now. No touch screens/pads, I know I'll miss XP but I really don't want Win8. Or 7, but I know I'll be out of luck on that. An SSD at least to run the OS sounds like the best choice to go with, but unsure if a big harddrive or multiple smaller harddrives are best for the rest of the data storage, or if I should use another SSD here too, lol. My bro has a neat double monitor setup, if I do get a new monitor I'd still like to incorporate my old one, if possible. Or maybe use my Samsung 24" TV/Monitor once I get settled in my new place, if I can find the right cord for it [this computer I have won't survive the move, so yea XD]

Throw something together from the enhanced/excellent build in the OP and we can help you from there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zTc7

Thanks!

budget: $1500 including monitor

You could look about changing your PSU to this to save money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119

Change your RAM to this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00592002W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's a benchmark of my 840 basic (250GB), 40% full.

I'm happy with it, and 7 years life span is more than enough for me.

ssdz8r1k.jpg

kennah

I guess I'm basically the CanadaGAF PC helper here, so I'll put something together for you. Are you able to put it together yourself or are you wanting something assembled? $1000 is lots of room to work with. You should be able to reuse your mouse and keyboard (look and see if they are a rectangle plug or a circle plug). Your monitor is likely pretty great and still fine. SSD is totally an option and you could probably reuse your existing hard drive(s) how many do you have and how big? DVD burner is cheap and easily done. Adding bluray isn't that much more but the playback software on computers is generally pretty ehn. Windows 7 is fine, just as good as xp if not better. But that means you'll need to purchase an OS. Any video card you get will be able to do multimonitor no problem. Let me work on this a little bit.

Also, where are you?

M.Bluth

I probably know the answer to this, but I better make sure...
ASUS VS229H-P versus ASUS VS238H-P
IPS or slightly bigger and 2ms instead of 5ms...

Koroviev

Thanks!

Tower and PSU are overkill. And $160 seems very pricey for Windows 7, especially considering that it's the Home edition. Switch RAM to Samsung low-profile to provide clearance for the Evo cooler (you will need it).

Koroviev

oh bigger nands, well that should be alright then.

but given its tech anything can happen to any of these things.

Hopefully these SSDs can get cheaper but not at the cost of apparent lower life expectancy

I think it really depends on the user. Not every PC is primarily a workstation. And the regularity with which one upgrades components also varies quite a bit. Personally, I tend to upgrade various parts every one to two years. I don't see myself keeping any part for more than three years.

garath

Posted this in the mechanical keyboard thread but this one gets a little more traffic obviously.

I'm strongly considering picking up this keyboard. I've been waiting for a good price on a cherry my red mechanical keyboard and this is a pretty darn good price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129008

CM Quickfire Pro Cherry MX red. $75 on promo right now - $60 after a $15 rebate. Best price I've seen since the holidays.

Yay or nay? The only cons I see with this board are a stubborn USB port and only half the keyboard is backlit.

I think my first choice would be a Quickfire TK red but I haven't been able to find one for a similar price. Amazon doesn't even carry one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom