• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

conBLACK

Neo Member
I thought I would post this here since this thread is more active than the Titan thread.

I just received an EVGA Signature Edition Superclocked Titan, and there are some kind of prints all over the PCB. I can't really get a good picture, but they are almost like somebody touched it with something on their hands or like a film residue if you let a liquid dry on a shiny surface. There are also scuffs on the protective plastic over the window on the card. The box also had 4 inspected by EVGA stickers on it, but 3 of them were loose already. All of the accessories appear to be untouched.

I tried searching online, and a few other people had the same situation, and speculated it was because EVGA may have been selecting specific cards for their superclocked series, and tested the card before shipping it. I bought it directly from Amazon, not a third party seller through Amazon.

Has this happened to anyone? The last card I bought from EVGA was my 6800 Ultra, and they always seemed like a good company. Maybe I am being too particular, but for a $1000 card I am almost considering sending it back. I don't really care about the "superclocking" which is only like 50mhz or something anyway, I just bought this version because it was in stock.

HoosTrax

I thought I would post this here since this thread is more active than the Titan thread.

I just received an EVGA Signature Edition Superclocked Titan, and there are some kind of prints all over the PCB. I can't really get a good picture, but they are almost like somebody touched it with something on their hands or like a film residue if you let a liquid dry on a shiny surface. There are also scuffs on the protective plastic over the window on the card. The box also had 4 inspected by EVGA stickers on it, but 3 of them were loose already. All of the accessories appear to be untouched.

I tried searching online, and a few other people had the same situation, and speculated it was because EVGA may have been selecting specific cards for their superclocked series, and tested the card before shipping it. I bought it directly from Amazon, not a third party seller through Amazon.

Has this happened to anyone? The last card I bought from EVGA was my 6800 Ultra, and they always seemed like a good company. Maybe I am being too particular, but for a $1000 card I am almost considering sending it back. I don't really care about the "superclocking" which is only like 50mhz or something anyway, I just bought this version because it was in stock.
Do you see actual human fingerprints? Or just a residue over the entire board (which is just solder flux residue).

Poker360

Was having some major cpu overheating issues with prime95 and a 4.6ghz overclock with my 8350.

Had my CPU BUS @ 216 and multiplier at 21... temps caused computer to reach tj maxx and shut down within 2 minutes.

Voltage increased from 1.356 to 1.385 as well.

Using cooler master hyper 212 evo.

Went ahead and ordered a Corsair H100i, not only for better cooling but also because my cooler master was blocking some of my ram ports.

Is it normal to heat up that much or am i doing something wrong?

Dave_6

Out with the 570 and in with the 670!

8580018467_6be068b318_c.jpg

Bought it from Dave_6 and just had a chance to install it today. It runs great, and is a nice upgrade from my 570. In BF3 on Ultra Everything/4x AA/16xAF @ 1080p, I went from 35-50fps averages with several dips into the lower 30s, to 50+ fps at almost all times. Also, I was so used to having case fans on high and GPU fans on high, and on my 570 that would still make me hit 90c on occasion. Keeping those same extremely aggressive fan profiles, I'm managing to stay in the low 60s. Good stuff.

Honestly, if anything, it's really showing me how great the legs of the original i7 are/were. My i7 930 is still performing pretty well, IMO.

I think I'll end up getting another 670 this summer when I do a new Haswell build, and will SLI them.

Anyway, that's my story ;p

Looks like I did a good job packing it! Shame I never got to use it :(

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Out with the 570 and in with the 670!

8580018467_6be068b318_c.jpg

Bought it from Dave_6 and just had a chance to install it today. It runs great, and is a nice upgrade from my 570. In BF3 on Ultra Everything/4x AA/16xAF @ 1080p, I went from 35-50fps averages with several dips into the lower 30s, to 50+ fps at almost all times. Also, I was so used to having case fans on high and GPU fans on high, and on my 570 that would still make me hit 90c on occasion. Keeping those same extremely aggressive fan profiles, I'm managing to stay in the low 60s. Good stuff.

Honestly, if anything, it's really showing me how great the legs of the original i7 are/were. My i7 930 is still performing pretty well, IMO.

I think I'll end up getting another 670 this summer when I do a new Haswell build, and will SLI them.

Anyway, that's my story ;p

Original i7 are not much different from the current generation. Still considered a parallel upgrade. These days seems like cpu technology is crawling... Wont see any difference in any game anyway!

longdi

Banned
i use hwinfo. http://www.hwinfo.com/download64.html
It is also the same bite sized portable .exe but it is updated much more often than hwmonitor and shows lots more readings off your pc.

it has a lot more options that it may look intimidating but just tick the sensor only mode when you run first time.

MMaRsu

In most games the 8800 GTS is definitely the limiting factor for you. IIRC, the Core 2 Quad is a motherboard with DDR2 RAM, so I'd probably skip upgrading that altogether and just focus on the video card. The Q6600 is an epic processor for its time, and if it's the G0 stepping version it can easily be overclocked to 3.4 Ghz with decent cooling.

A full system rebuild would obviously yield even better results, but I'm hesitant to recommend that with Haswell coming out in just over 2 months. A $150-200 video card upgrade would yield pretty significant improvements in most games. What games are you looking to play and what resolution is your monitor?

One important cautionary note: if this PC is a pre-built desktop (like a Dell), you probably shouldn't change anything because the power supply may not be able to handle it. If this is a custom-built machine, you can safely OC the processor and change the video card if you have the cooling and PSU capacity to handle it.

In other words, we need more info to properly advise you.

I bought this from someone else for 140 euros so I think I made a good deal. The motherboard is a Asus P5B Deluxe and it has a 600watt power supply I think.

I am using it connected to an HDTV at 1080p, and I am looking to play at least TW2 on low or medium settings.

Sup Gaf

I have a i5 750 that runs @ 3.8ghz with a very small bump in voltage & can get to 4ghz if i really try. Do you think a CPU upgrade is worth it?

I'm buying a GTX 670 today and i think my cpu should be okay to feed the beast, but i'm in that upgrade mood. Haswell is coming, but the cpu i have has been solid since i've bought it.

i5 750 @ 3.8ghz
4GB (2*2GB) DDR3 1600
currently running a GTX 460 1GB @ 840mhz *upgrading to GTX 670

DTKT

Sup Gaf

I have a i5 750 that runs @ 3.8ghz with a very small bump in voltage & can get to 4ghz if i really try. Do you think a CPU upgrade is worth it?

I'm buying a GTX 670 today and i think my cpu should be okay to feed the beast, but i'm in that upgrade mood. Haswell is coming, but the cpu i have has been solid since i've bought it.

i5 750 @ 3.8ghz
4GB (2*2GB) DDR3 1600

I have the same processor at the same clock speed and the same card. It's currently holding me back in several games. Planetside 2 is a good example of that where the CPU is the bottleneck 99% of the time.

I'm waiting for Haswell to see if I'm getting it or Ivy.

I have the same processor at the same clock speed and the same card. It's currently holding me back in several games. Planetside 2 is a good example of that where the CPU is the bottleneck 99% of the time.

hmmm.. i guess i'll be waiting f/ haswell too since it's right around the corner.

i game @ 1440*900 though. not sure if that would change the cpu load, but i guess i need to upgrade anyways. the gpu will last me a solid 3 years though. thanks for the input!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any major issues with this build? This is my first time building a PC. I will pick a graphics card later.
Don't buy a Vertex 2, let alone an open box one. 830/m4/840 Pro. 840 or HyperX if you are on a budget.

Don't buy an open box gigabyte board either. You aren't saving much at all and it might be missing cables or an I/O shield. Just get the ASRock.

Get one of the OP power supplies instead. Unless you are planning to spend over $600 on GPU you don't need over 650W.

Planetside 2 runs like shit on anything that isn't a 4.5Ghz+ i7. That's not fair.

A 3.8Ghz old i5 is plenty and far above average. Haswell is seemingly ~10% faster than Ivy which was ~10% faster than Sandy. Dunno how it overclocks yet.
Sup Gaf

i5 750 @ 3.8ghz
4GB (2*2GB) DDR3 1600
See above, no need to upgrade yet.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gonna buy a 120hz monitor soon. Any recommendations based on your experience?
Of ones that are actually instock?

The BenQ is nice, but expensive. ASUS just released their 144Hz panel for much less. If you can track it down anywhere I suggest you take a look at it (I really gone too indepth on reviews).
Apart from those you can try tracking down a Samsung 120Hz. That's what I use, but I get weird signal drops sometimes. Never in game and possibly related to GPU/monitor combination, but it's not a big deal. Colors are super nice as well.

kharma45

Any major issues with this build? This is my first time building a PC. I will pick a graphics card later.

Open box motherboard wouldn't be my cup of tea but maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

I'd also change your PSU to the Seasonic X750, it's on Newegg for $120 which is the cheapest I've seen it for a while http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

Change that i7 to a K model, or if you're just gaming change to an i5 3570K (or if you're not looking to OC at all change maybe to a Xeon E3 V2) and drop the RAM to 8GB.

Change that SSD too, they're not the most reliable. It may be cheap but it'll be no fun when you likely have to RMA it. Pay a bit more and get a quality one like the Samsung 840 Pro, Kingston V300 or Crucial M4.

Sup Gaf

i5 750 @ 3.8ghz
4GB (2*2GB) DDR3 1600

As others have said, the 750 is plenty fine for at least another year. If you can get it to 4GHz do it.

GHG

I bought this from someone else for 140 euros so I think I made a good deal. The motherboard is a Asus P5B Deluxe and it has a 600watt power supply I think.

I am using it connected to an HDTV at 1080p, and I am looking to play at least TW2 on low or medium settings.

What is your budget?

I wouldn't recommend getting anything less than a 660 3GB (non ti version) or a 2GB 7870 on the AMD side. If you don't need physx, definitely go for the 7870. You can grab either for around $200 and you would be able to max out the witcher 2:

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7870_and_radeon_hd_7850,9.html

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_660,8.html

Don't get the 660 ti whatever you do, its overpriced for what it is.

Failing that, you should be able to nab a used gtx 580 for less than $200, but you'll end up being vram limited on the latest games even at that res.

Planetside 2 runs like shit on anything that isn't a 4.5Ghz+ i7. That's not fair.

A 3.8Ghz old i5 is plenty and far above average. Haswell is seemingly ~10% faster than Ivy which was ~10% faster than Sandy. Dunno how it overclocks yet.

Slight exaggeration there. There is virtually no difference between an i5 and i7 in PS2 since it doesn't even utilise the extra cores (well virtual cores) on the i7. Its more clockspeed limited than anything else. An Ivy i5 or i7 would perform similarly if both are clocked at 4.5+ .

kharma45

What is your budget?

I wouldn't recommend getting anything less than a 660 3GB (non ti version) or a 7870 on the AMD side. If you don't need physx, definitely go for the 7870.

You can grab either for around $200 and you would be able to max out the witcher 2.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7870_and_radeon_hd_7850,9.html

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_660,8.html

Don't get the 660 ti whatever you do, its overpriced for what it is.

Failing that, you should be able to nab a used gtx 580 for less than $200, but you'll end up being vram limited on the latest games even at that res.

I'd probably ignore the 7870 and get the 7850 unless the price is very close, they're really close performance wise.

7870 seems a bit lost to me with the 7850 being so close performance wise and the 7870 XT (or 7870 LE, depends on the OEM) being basically the same price give or take a few quid as the regular 7870.

GHG

I'd probably ignore the 7870 and get the 7850 unless the price is very close, they're really close performance wise.

7870 seems a bit lost to me with the 7850 being so close performance wise and the 7870 XT (or 7870 LE, depends on the OEM) being basically the same price give or take a few quid as the regular 7870.

I think the price difference between the 2GB versions of the 7850 and 7870 in the US are a lot closer than they are here in the UK, which would automatically make the 7870 the better buy. Plus 7870 overclocks like stink. You can push a lot of them up to 7950 territory.

kharma45

I think the price difference between the 2GB versions of the 7850 and 7870 in the US are a lot closer than they are here in the UK, which would automatically make the 7870 the better buy. Plus 7870 overclocks like stink. You can push a lot of them up to 7950 territory.

The same for the 7850, they hit just below stock 7950 levels.

Stock speeds
Stock 7870 = 1000/4800
Stock 7850 = 860/4800
performance difference = ~20%

before unlocking voltage average overclocks
OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1050/5600
performance difference = ~25%

with voltage unlocked overclocks
OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1250/5600
performance difference = 6-8%

Most reviews show a 7850 at 1050MHz equalling a stock 7870 @ 1000MHz, clock for clock the 7870 isn't that much better. Myself I'd rather save the $60 difference roughly or just go the whole hog and get a Tahiti 7870 for the same price as the regular 7870.

my video card has 1 hdmi, 1 display port, and 2 dvi. monitors dont have displayport though. should i do 2 dvi, or 1 hdmi 1 dvi? or 1 hdmi and 1 dp with a dp -> hdmi adapter?

The same for the 7850, they hit just below stock 7950 levels.

Stock speeds
Stock 7870 = 1000/4800
Stock 7850 = 860/4800
performance difference = ~20%

before unlocking voltage average overclocks
OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1050/5600
performance difference = ~25%

with voltage unlocked overclocks
OC 7870 = ~1250/5600
OC 7850 = ~1250/5600
performance difference = 6-8%

Most reviews show a 7850 at 1050MHz equalling a stock 7870 @ 1000MHz, clock for clock the 7870 isn't that much better. Myself I'd rather save the $60 difference roughly or just go the whole hog and get a Tahiti 7870 for the same price as the regular 7870.

Everytime i feel bad about not getting a 7950 (couldn't stomach the extra 120 or so at the time) i am reminded that the 7850 aint no slouch if i decide to go the OC route

Benchmarked my Samsung 840 SSD (regular version, not pro) that is set on "Maximum reliability", and got Sequential Read/Write of 533/185 (MB/s) and Random Read/Random write of 90153/19885 (IOPS).

I have no idea what it means, but I'm happy enough with the speeds in everyday tasks (games in particular are wonderful with SSDs).

kennah

Poop. All my stuff is going to be on hold for a month or so. Got reassessed on my income tax refund so have to wait probably a month for my appeal to fix it. Good thing the splash doesn't ship until May but means I might have to miss out on some WC deals (like that cpu block)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Slight exaggeration there. There is virtually no difference between an i5 and i7 in PS2 since it doesn't even utilise the extra cores (well virtual cores) on the i7. Its more clockspeed limited than anything else. An Ivy i5 or i7 would perform similarly if both are clocked at 4.5+ .
Hmm, someone told me it actually mattered which I was really surprised at.
Guess 'loaded cores' is not 'doing useful work'.

Still the game runs pretty bad.

Had a brief panic when I didn't get any video output, but I did something right as it's installing Windows fine right now. Making all the cables neat is probably going to be the most difficult part.

GHG

Hmm, someone told me it actually mattered which I was really surprised at.
Guess 'loaded cores' is not 'doing useful work'.

Still the game runs pretty bad.

It very much relies on strong single threaded performence. Hence the amd cpu's really struggle with the game. If not youd see the 6 and 8 core bulldozers pull away from any 4 core cpus in the game, but this is far from the case.

brentech

Thought I'd post a screenshot of my desktop while my CPU had some load on it due to Witcher 2 install.

Jumbled a few Rainmeter skins together to achieve the displayed information.

Quoted for size, clickable (1080P): Also a repost of the build pictures.

Gives a graph of the CPU total load. Essentially the right side of it being the bottom. Then bar graphs of each individual core's load. Heat level for each core supplied by CoreTemp running in background. RAM and storage bar graphs. The rest is the popular Enigma skins such as iTunes music display/controls and recycle and then notes. I might eventually find more parts of it that I'd like to use.

Tried to keep it minimal after fooling around all last night with it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You know how lazy Saturdays can be.... your mind starts wandering and it's easy to click around and put ideas in your head.

Has anybody ever gone through the process of powder coating their PC case? More and more, I think I'm going to end up with the Merlin SM5 case (though I'm waiting on Corsair 900D reviews). But if I do end up with the Caselabs case, you can order it just primered, it's shipped unassembled, and has full aluminum construction - seems like a perfect fit for a paint job.

I'm leaning toward something kind of exotic - a high-gloss Nvidia green on the outside, and a high gloss black on the inside. I'm not sure, yet. But it seems like I have lots of choices within 50 miles of where I live; and looking online, prices vary between about $100-$300, and it takes about two weeks. Does this sound about right?

GHG

speaking of video overclocks, anyone tried MSI's afterburner utility? Might eventually want to try it on my MSI Nvidia 660, would love to know if it's worth using.

I use EVGA precision-X for my overclocking, its the better tool IMO. Its based on Afterburner but with a few improvements. I use it for my 660's in SLI and it works a treat.

Hawk269

My Fiance decided to get me a early easter gift and got me a 3rd Samsung SSD Pro 512gb. I plugged it into my Rampage IV Extreme, but the speed is a lot slower. The other 2 are plugged into the two Intel Sata Ports and the only port that is available are 2 ASMEDIA Sata Ports. While the SSD does work and is very fast, it is about 100 read/write MB's slower than the other 2. I updated the BIOS to the latest, updated the Chipset to the latest and updated the ASMEDIA driver to the latest and nothing has helped.

My searches have come up with no real help other than "stay away from using the ASMEDIA sata ports and use the Intel ones". But my board as most others only have 2 Intel Sata ports. Anyone have any ideas on whatelse I can try?

Varna

Looks like my 690 RMA might not go through... looking more and more liking that the 690 Twin Turbo cooler fucked me over.

I guess I'll buy a 680 to hold me over.

I'm looking at the ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5. I do want something that offers a bit more cooling performance and lower noise levels. Is this the one to go for?

I've never really overclocked before, so I'm wondering what are safe but fast settings I can use on my new HD 7970? Currently it's set at:

GPU Clock: 950 MHz
Memory Clock: 1425 MHz

When I was running a certain benchmark, the temp never got above 55 C, and the fan capped at around 60%. How high should I go without risking any damage / instability?

GHG

I've never really overclocked before, so I'm wondering what are safe but fast settings I can use on my new HD 7970? Currently it's set at:

GPU Clock: 950 MHz
Memory Clock: 1425 MHz

When I was running a certain benchmark, the temp never got above 55 C, and the fan capped at around 60%. How high should I go without risking any damage / instability?

Increase clocks slowly and steadily to prevent damage and instability. That's the general rule.

I would never increase the GPU clock by more than 20mhz at a time without testing. Increase it by 20 mhz, test it using a benchmark such as heaven. Rinse repeat until it crashes or there are signs of instability. Then decrease it by 10 and test. If stable, increase by 5... you should get the picture by now.

For the memory you can push a bit harder and go for increases of 25 mhz a time. To find the highest stable clock its the same process as the core clock but you are looking out for graphical artifacts or sudden frame drops. If the memory is clocked too high the benchmark will not necessarily crash, you need to keep an eye on things and stop the bench immediately if you spot anything strange going on.

For the voltages, you'll need to look at 7970 specific guides as I have no clue here (nvidia kelper owner here), but you should be able to push a lot harder (especially the core clock) if you have increased the voltages.

Most 7970's should be able to achieve a 1050mhz + gpu core without any fuss or voltage increases, but you need to test it using the methodology above just in case your card is a dud.

Of ones that are actually instock?

The BenQ is nice, but expensive. ASUS just released their 144Hz panel for much less. If you can track it down anywhere I suggest you take a look at it (I really gone too indepth on reviews).
Apart from those you can try tracking down a Samsung 120Hz. That's what I use, but I get weird signal drops sometimes. Never in game and possibly related to GPU/monitor combination, but it's not a big deal. Colors are super nice as well.

Thanks for the help. I trust the opinions of Gaf before random Amazon/Newegg Reviews.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Spent the last few hours messing with overclocks on my new 670, and got a little extra headroom. It's not nearly as aggressive as some of the other clocks I've seen online, but it seems to be giving me less dips below 50fps in BF3.

Quoted for size:

The "Boost" of the 6xx series is a little confusing to me. But from what I gather, the max core clock in GPU-Z that you hit is the most defining number of your cards potential speed and if it's stable at that clock. The number will go as high as your clock off-set and voltage will let you before hitting 70c. Is that right? If so, it looks like my card is hitting 1215MHZ. A nice little "extra", I suppose.

kennah

Spent the last few hours messing with overclocks on my new 670, and got a little extra headroom. It's not nearly as aggressive as some of the other clocks I've seen online, but it seems to be giving me less dips below 50fps in BF3.

Quoted for size:

The "Boost" of the 6xx series is a little confusing to me. But from what I gather, the max core clock in GPU-Z that you hit is the most defining number of your cards potential speed and if it's stable at that clock. The number will go as high as your clock off-set and voltage will let you before hitting 70c. Is that right? If so, it looks like my card is hitting 1215MHZ. A nice little "extra", I suppose.

Hmm.. I'll try that on the other twin and will let you know

kharma45

Is there any value to getting the AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz?

I don't understand how it has a higher clock speed than any Intel processor AND eight cores yet is ridiculously cheap in comparison. What are its drawbacks?

It's not a bad CPU by any stretch, competes reasonably well with the i5 3570K but it's not quite as strong. Overclockers are having a laugh though with that price, compare it to Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009O7YUF6/

8320 is also available, same CPU essentially just clocked lower http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009O7YU56/

afaik the binned ones become 8350s and the ones that aren't quite as strong become 8320s, although some 8320s overclock just as well. Since AMD's performance isn't as strong per thread they need higher clock speeds to compete with Intel.

kBGW9aN.jpg

So all my DIMMs appear to be running at 667MHz even though their max is 2400MHz. How do I adjust this? All the settings that I can control are about timings and voltages, is there a way to just say "make it be 2400MHz"?

kennah

You need to manually specify it in the BIOS. ANd the 2400 isn't a guarantee, it really depends on your motherboard. All the 2400 means is that they "could" run at 2400. The 1333 (2x 667) is the default setting as the motherboard sees it

I finally decided to brave into the deep end that is the Gaming PC thread. I'm getting ready to graduate from college this May and will be building my own gaming rig this holiday season (as long as my wife approves,lol). Here is my current laptop specs:

• Windows 7
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
  • GeForce GT 550M
  • 6GB of DDR3 RAM

Also, I have a Dell XPS 17. Is it possible for me to get any parts of it upgraded or is it stuck as is? I had it for almost 2 years so I'm not worry about breaking any warranty on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom