• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
I was just going to post some results of changing out fans, if anyone cares...

Like many of you, I have the 212+ heatsink on my 3570k. OCed at 4.4ghz (-0.40 offset) on an Asrock Extreme4.

The CPU fan that came with the 212 was starting to make a "clicky" noise, so I bought 2 SP120 Quiet Edition fans and put them on in Push-Pull.

They are very quiet, but CPU is about 3 degrees hotter than before. Not a big deal, still maxes out at 76 with full OC load.

I was hoping the performance would at least be equal to the stock 212 fan, oh well. 1400 rpms is very low and quiet.
Are you certain your motherboard isn't throttling them down a bit? IIRC, the Extreme 4 has voltage control for some of the fan headers.

kharma45

After all that PSU talk earlier glad to see that Be Quiet! is bringing their kit to the USA very soon it seems as in some of the reviews for the Dark Power Pro 10 they've them pegged in for an 'early 2013' launch.

Good to see as they're quality units and should provide a good alternative to the usual choices.

kharma45

Now if we could start to get Club 3D cards......

I should start a business exporting them. They're still rather... overlooked here as well, you never really see much written about them, it's just the usual brands that get all the attention. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places but the last one I saw reviewed was their 7870 LE card on OC3D.

mkenyon

Banned
Hmmh, okay.

Are there any sleeved cables, which can replace the standard ones from the AX850? I saw, you used white ones, with your AX850, were those self sleeved?
You're in Deutschland, ja?

If so, CaseKings.de should carry them. They are made by Corsair.
I should start a business exporting them. They're still rather... overlooked here as well, you never really see much written about them, it's just the usual brands that get all the attention. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places but the last one I saw reviewed was their 7870 LE card on OC3D.
I think they are under the radar, as it were. It's kind of like the Samsung RAM before it sold out everywhere.

Hawk269

Finally finished everything in my rig that I wanted to do with it. Here is a compiled list of every part that went into this monster rig and few shots of the finished product.

Complete Specs (almost every part used to build):
Case Labs Magnum TH10 Computer Case
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6G
Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
EVGA 06G-P4-2790-KR GeForce GTX TITAN (x2)
Samsung 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB (x3)
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31
CORSAIR Professional Series Blue Sleeved Power Cables
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-P 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent Bionic Blade PWM Fan (x 7)
Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-P 120mmx25mm Ultra Silent PWM Fan (x3)
Swiftech Helix 120mm x 25mm Z-Bearing Fan - 1800 RPM (HELIX-120-BW)
Phobya 120x120x20mm Fan / Radiator Shroud - Plexi (x9)
120mm Honeycomb Fan Mesh Grill - Black (x4)
DEMCiflex Triple 120mm Magnetic Dust / Fan Filter - Triple Radiator or Fans (x2)
DEMCiflex Quad 120mm Magnetic Dust / Fan Filter - Quad Radiator or Fans (x1)
Lamptron FC Touch - 30W - 6 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Touch Screen - Black (x2)
G-VANS 30W - 4 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Multi Color Backlit LED - Ultra Vol.Edition - Black
EK Geforce GTX Titan VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel (EK-FC Titan - Nickel) X2
XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator Rev 2 (x3)
XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Special Edition Copper
EK D5 X-Res Top 140 Pump Top / Reservoir Combo w/ D5 Variant Pump Installed
RAZER Star Wars: The Old Republic RZ01-00650100-R3M1 Black 17 Buttons 1 x Wheel Wired / Wireless
Logitech M570 910-001799 Black 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Trackball
Logitech K800 Black USB RF Wireless Slim Illuminated Keyboard
Bitspower Adjustable Aqua Link Pipe II (41-69mm) - Silver (BP-DG14AALPII) (x2)
Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" Barb Fitting - 1/2" ID (BP-MBWP-C01) (lots of them)
Bitspower G1/4" Matte Black Rotary 45 Degree G1/4" Adapter (BP-MB45R) (x8)
Bitspower G1/4" Matte Black Rotary 90° G1/4" Adapter (BP-MB90R) (x6)
Bitspower G1/4" Low Profile Matte Black Stop Plug w/ O-Ring (BP-MBWP-C09) (x4)
Bitspower Silver Shining Sealing Plug For ID 3/8" Tube (BP-WTP-C32) (x2)
Koolance Liquid Coolant Bottle - Clear - 700cc (LIQ-702CL-B) (x4)
PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 7/16" ID 5/8" OD with 3/32" Wall - 10ft (x2)
PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - 3/4 OD" Tubing - UV Blue (x3)
ModRight FilterRight 120mm Black Aluminum Fan Filter (x3)
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (64bit Edition)
Microsoft Wireless 360/PC Controller/Receiver

Yes, that is a shit load of parts! The last parts came in today, new keyboard and mouse (Logitech). As of now, I am pretty much done tinkering with this rig. My only need and that is a bit down the road depending on how much down sampling I do is a 3rd Titan.

A big shout out to Mkenyon for his massive amount of help with the Water Cooling list and suggestions. While this build originally took place a while ago, it is finally finished and I am done.

Case Labs Case
DSC03457.jpg

DSC03458.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

Evga Geforce Titans x2 with EKWB Waterblocks
002.jpg

003.jpg

022.jpg

Misc. Shots:
038.jpg

042.jpg

055.jpg

006.jpg

053.jpg

kharma45

I think they are under the radar, as it were. It's kind of like the Samsung RAM before it sold out everywhere.

That's the terminology I was looking for. It's a pity that Samsung stuff has disappeared in North America. We can still get it over here in the UK but the price has went up by about £20 in the last few months, but all DDR3 so it's not just it.

mkenyon

Banned
I bought up something like 8 kits of it, and sold most of it off at $100 a pair to fund my recent build. That right there is the stuff you want to create a business around :p

@Hawk

So much power.

Akai__

You're in Deutschland, ja?

If so, CaseKings.de should carry them. They are made by Corsair.

Couldn't find anything on that site. I will search for them on some other sites and if I don't find anything, I will contact Caseking. Maybe they will get them for me.

Also, I'm looking for orange cables, not white ones.

mkenyon

Banned
Couldn't find anything on that site. I will search for them on some other sites and if I don't find anything, I will contact Caseking. Maybe they will get them for me.

Also, I'm looking for orange cables, not white ones.
Ah. They only make Red, Blue, Black, and White. They added Green and Grey for the new AX860/760/660 series of PSUs, but they don't work on the old ones and vice-versa.

MDPC would be where you want to look for a specific color, but you would need to sleeve them yourself. Otherwise, extensions are the way to go.

metalshade

Cleaned it all off, reapplied a smaller amount of paste, put the cooler on but not as tight.
according to occt, Core 0 was at 124 just idling.
Hardware monitor said about 25. Not sure which to believe.

Akai__

Ah. They only make Red, Blue, Black, and White. They added Green and Grey for the new AX860/760/660 series of PSUs, but they don't work on the old ones and vice-versa.

MDPC would be where you want to look for a specific color, but you would need to sleeve them yourself. Otherwise, extensions are the way to go.

Well, then this will have to wait for now, sadly. Thanks for your responses. :)

metalshade

HWMonitor, for sure.
I just tried to run occt, and it says core 0 hit 124 and it stopped by itself, but hwmonitor didn't show a spike.
Guess occt doesn't like my setup.
Extremely stressed over here, hoping I don't damage my chip.
Am I alright do you think. Will try running witcher 2 or bio infinite and see the temps then.

Calidor

Finally finished everything in my rig that I wanted to do with it. Here is a compiled list of every part that went into this monster rig and few shots of the finished product.

What the... How much did that thing cost? also, have you done any benchmark on it?

Are the samsung SSD on raid-0?

mkenyon

Banned
I just tried to run occt, and it says core 0 hit 124 and it stopped by itself, but hwmonitor didn't show a spike.
Guess occt doesn't like my setup.
Extremely stressed over here, hoping I don't damage my chip.
Am I alright do you think. Will try running witcher 2 or bio infinite and see the temps then.
Run Prime 95 Small FFT, use HWMonitor for temps.

Hawk269

@Hawk269

Crazy awesome build, but where's the Blu ray burner? How much did it cost?

No need for a blu ray player/burner. Actually am thinking that I might just get rid of the DVD drive as well since more and more of my stuff is just being downloaded, but we will see.

As far as cost...well, too much to calculate right now and if I do, I just might myself sick. Titans alone were $2200 when you factor in tax, Motherboard was about $500 when I bought it and the CPU was about $600 or so. All the Water cooling stuff was rather expensive, but I also have a shit ton of parts left over from handfuls of fittings/barbs, connectors, tube etc. Also have a large collection of fans too. Kept going back and forth on what would work better. At last count, I have at least 8 Noiseblocker Eloops, about 5 regular Noiseblockers, 6 Gentle Typhoons a few 140mm fans and a bunch of other little things.

The computer case also was pricey, I think it was close to around $700 or so with shipping and tax.

It is kind of crazy, but this is what I do with my spare time, don't really drink, don't smoke, not a partier, just got engaged and the worst part the fiance' is fueling the geek/nerd in me. If having that rig I built is not enough, she saw that my 5 year old lap top was getting a little old and 2 days ago what arrives...

An Alienware custom built 17.5" 1080p gaming laptop. Fucker has a 680m GPU, 16gigs of Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD, 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD, I7 Cpu. I mean the thing just kicks ass and did not know a laptop could be that powerfull.

I feel like I am in nerd/geek paradise at the moment and I have yet to really sit down and enjoy some games! lol. Been spending a lot of time configuring the big rig and then spent a lot of time configuring and tweaking the new laptop. My garage is just a fucking tornado of spare computer parts and empty boxes everywhere. Going to have to dedicate a whole day just to organize and clean all that stuff up.

metalshade

Run Prime 95 Small FFT, use HWMonitor for temps.

Yuhhuh, done that, got good temps.
Guess it's just occt doesn't like me.
Had me really worried for a while, first time I've put an aftermarket cooler on my cpu, thought maybe I had made myself a very expensive problem.
Thanks for your patience, it's not easy when trying to keep 2 cats out of your case whilst working in a dimly lit room lol.

Hawk269

What the... How much did that thing cost? also, have you done any benchmark on it?

Are the samsung SSD on raid-0?

I did not raid the SSD's. I really don't know much about doing a Raid setup, so for now, they are just 3 individual SSD's. I will have to do a cost breakdown sometime, most of this stuff has been about a year or so in the making, so the cost was spread out.

And yes, have done some benchmarks. According to my numbers and depending on what forum I am at, I am usually in the top 20 or so depending on the software used. I don't do suicide runs though, so if I did I know I can go much higher on the rankings. For example, my 3930k is at a 4.8 Overclock and max temp on one of the cores hits 65c and that is after about 10hours or so of Prime, so I know I can crank it past 5.0 easily and still be within safe heat levels. Same with the Titan's. My OC on them are 24/7 gaming stable, but I can push the core and memory to get through a benchmark just to get a higher score, but they would crash not to long after. Most of my tests are for normal gaming and computer use.

Perhaps when I get more time, I may do a suicide run just to see how high is high, but am pretty damn happy with it as it is.

Oh and finally, finally after using 680's in SLI, 690 etc...Witcher 2 in uber-mode is finally a 60fps rock solid at 1080p with every possible thing set to max reality! lol

I'm looking to build my first gaming pc with my tax return this year. These are the components I'm looking at, I'm mainly looking to hook this up to my tv for some 1080p Steam Box goodness. Are these good components together? Spending this much money is in my price range, but if money can be saved anywhere that wouldn't hurt.

PowerColor PCS+ AX7950 3GBD5-2DHPP Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 - $329.99

COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $79.99

SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM - $89.99

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM - $47.98

ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $129.99

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX - $72.37

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K - $219.99

TP-LINK TL-WN951N Wireless N300 Advanced PCI Adapter, 300Mbps, w/WPS Button, IEEE 802.1b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2 - $29.81

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter - $12.21

Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Black Computer Case Cooling Fan R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 - $14.99

kharma45

I'm looking to build my first gaming pc with my tax return this year. These are the components I'm looking at, I'm mainly looking to hook this up to my tv for some 1080p Steam Box goodness. Are these good components together? Spending this much money is in my price range, but if money can be saved anywhere that wouldn't hurt.

PowerColor PCS+ AX7950 3GBD5-2DHPP Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 - $329.99

COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer SGC-1000-KWN1 Black SECC / ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $79.99

SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply SSR-550RM - $89.99

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM - $47.98

ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $129.99

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX - $72.37

Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K - $219.99

TP-LINK TL-WN951N Wireless N300 Advanced PCI Adapter, 300Mbps, w/WPS Button, IEEE 802.1b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2 - $29.81

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter - $12.21

Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Black Computer Case Cooling Fan R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 - $14.99

I'd swap that PowerColor 7950 to the Gigabyte WF, it's $299.99. Whilst that Seasonic is a good PSU for $10 more you can get it's 750w bigger brother from the X series (albeit with an XFX badge on it) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029&Tpk=xfx 750w gold&IsVirtualParent=1 - It's massively overkill but it's a basically flawless PSU and would keep you set for years to come.

Considered an SSD? If you say stuck with the G-550 and used the $30 saved from the 7950 swap you could put that towards potentially putting one in. They do transform PC use, I can't recommend one enough. For the sub-$100 market this is hard to beat http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

appaws

Banned
Are you certain your motherboard isn't throttling them down a bit? IIRC, the Extreme 4 has voltage control for some of the fan headers.

I checked the bios and they are at "full on." Since they are running at around 1400 rpm and they are rated for 1450, I think that they are about where I would expect. Maybe I can grab some performance ones...I don't know why I got "quiet" editions anyway...my wife is hearing impaired and I game with headphones on 99% of the time.

I dream dreams of Caselabs magnums with full custom loops. About a month left of law school, then I find a job, then I get to buy whatever rig I want + a Harley.

Oxn

DEMCiflex Triple 120mm Magnetic Dust / Fan Filter - Triple Radiator or Fans (x2)
Lamptron FC Touch - 30W - 6 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Touch Screen - Black (x2)
G-VANS 30W - 4 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Multi Color Backlit LED - Ultra Vol.Edition - Black
EK Geforce GTX Titan VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel (EK-FC Titan - Nickel) X2
XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Special Edition Copper
RAZER Star Wars: The Old Republic RZ01-00650100-R3M1 Black 17 Buttons 1 x Wheel Wired / Wireless
PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 7/16" ID 5/8" OD with 3/32" Wall - 10ft (x2)

Yes, that is a shit load of parts! The last parts came in today, new keyboard and mouse (Logitech). As of now, I am pretty much done tinkering with this rig. My only need and that is a bit down the road depending on how much down sampling I do is a 3rd Titan.

A big shout out to Mkenyon for his massive amount of help with the Water Cooling list and suggestions. While this build originally took place a while ago, it is finally finished and I am done.

Case Labs Case

Off of your list, I have both the Razer Star Wars Mouse, and the Logitech Keyboard K800(which i just got 1 week ago, it was sooo worth the money).

Both are fabulous. I cant believe you have the exact same Mouse/KB set up as me.

Question for everyone using a Sandybridge CPU(Socket 1155), are you going to upgrade your rig when Haswell comes out, or are you going to upgrade when Broadwell is released in about 2014 or so? I'm going to try to hold out untill 2014 for Broadwell myself, but I was curious what everyone else was going to do.

knitoe

Question for everyone using a Sandybridge CPU(Socket 1155), are you going to upgrade your rig when Haswell comes out, or are you going to upgrade when Broadwell is released in about 2014 or so? I'm going to try to hold out untill 2014 for Broadwell myself, but I was curious what everyone else was going to do.

I have been running a 2600K@4.5GHz since launched, 2+ years, and from the rumor performance of the Haswell, I'll probably using it for at least another year.

garath

I have a 2500k at a very modest 4.3ghz. I have no intentions of upgrading to haswell. I can still run all my games on high or very high.

My CPU before the 2500k was an e6600. I see no reason to upgrade more frequently than that. I don't need to run things cutting edge.

But that's just me.

t-ramp

Honestly, I wouldn't care if I was still using my Phenom II X4 instead of a 2500K as I am. I'm mostly over my compulsive revamp stage, so I doubt I'll really consider upgrading for a while. The processor at least, I might switch out my 6870(s) for something more powerful and with more VRAM and/or buy another SSD and actually use it in my desktop.

Xdrive05

I have been running a 2600K@4.5GHz since launched, 2+ years, and from the rumor performance of the Haswell, I'll probably using it for at least another year.

Haswell's less "tocky" tock is why I jumped in for a 3770k instead of waiting myself. Probably another 5%-10% improvement. But more versatile and efficient will be nice.

I'd swap that PowerColor 7950 to the Gigabyte WF, it's $299.99. Whilst that Seasonic is a good PSU for $10 more you can get it's 750w bigger brother from the X series (albeit with an XFX badge on it) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029&Tpk=xfx 750w gold&IsVirtualParent=1 - It's massively overkill but it's a basically flawless PSU and would keep you set for years to come.

Considered an SSD? If you say stuck with the G-550 and used the $30 saved from the 7950 swap you could put that towards potentially putting one in. They do transform PC use, I can't recommend one enough. For the sub-$100 market this is hard to beat http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks! I was looking at the PowerCooler because it runs on the quiet side and I want that for a PC I'm going to be using hooked up to my tv. How do you think the Gigabyte card compares there?
I have considered an SSD, but I plan on waiting and getting a slightly larger one about 6 months down the road so I'm not spending quite as much money up front.

To anyone that has the MSI MPower z77 board, i have my i5-2500k oc'd to 4.5ghz @ 1.28v. However its always running at a constant 4.5ghz as opposed to dropping when idle. Any idea how to make it drop while not on full load? I tried changing the CPU vdroop but it doesn't boot after that

derder

holy hell. this looks great!

how long did that take to build?

Calidor

I did not raid the SSD's. I really don't know much about doing a Raid setup, so for now, they are just 3 individual SSD's. I will have to do a cost breakdown sometime, most of this stuff has been about a year or so in the making, so the cost was spread out.

Oh I see... you should totally put them on Raid-0 and get sum 1.5 GB/s seq goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom