• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh I see... you should totally put them on Raid-0 and get sum 1.5 GB/s seq goodness
That'll be capped by the SATA controller.

I cant tell a difference between anything that is from the last three SSD generations. Vertex 2 onward are all crazy fast.

Sorral

Finally finished everything in my rig that I wanted to do with it.

Very nice, congrats.

After all that PSU talk earlier glad to see that Be Quiet! is bringing their kit to the USA very soon it seems as in some of the reviews for the Dark Power Pro 10 they've them pegged in for an 'early 2013' launch.

Good to see as they're quality units and should provide a good alternative to the usual choices.

Just wanted to say thank you guys (kharma45, mkenyon, and others) for all the informations and what was said about the PSUs >_< I should have listened from the very beginning as it is much better for the long run. I wanted to do something else with the money but it can wait as this is a lot better use of the budget vs what I was going to do.

Oh yeah, kharma45, the case arrived and it is actually nowhere near as flimsy (or cheap) as the reviews said and the front USB ports are actually very sturdy and held in place well. Just that the wires are longer than what I would have liked, but still.

yzthslc.jpg

Smokey

Question for everyone using a Sandybridge CPU(Socket 1155), are you going to upgrade your rig when Haswell comes out, or are you going to upgrade when Broadwell is released in about 2014 or so? I'm going to try to hold out untill 2014 for Broadwell myself, but I was curious what everyone else was going to do.

I'm leaning towards staying put with my 2600k. If I do upgrade it'll be to SB-E/IB-E.

Hawk269

That'll be capped by the SATA controller.

I cant tell a difference between anything that is from the last three SSD generations. Vertex 2 onward are all crazy fast.

Yes, it will be capped.

I also discovered that having a 3rd SSD, that it does not run as fast as the other two because on the Rampage IV Extreme board they have 4 total SATA 6 ports, however 2 of them are Intel that are connected directly to the CPU and the other 2 are ASMedia ports. The one hooked up to the Asmedia port does run a bit slower...I mean it still is silly fast, but not as fast as the other two in the Intel port. I even removed and put the 3rd one in the Intel port to ensure it was not the drive and when connected into the Intel port, it runs as it should.

I know Asus just announced a new board that has more Intel Sata ports, but just wondering with more and more users going towards SSD's, are we not going to see this as a norm? Also, why handicap a Sata 6 port and not just make them all Intel so that you don't loose the speed?

Hawk269

holy hell. this looks great!

how long did that take to build?

It took a while initially, but this build has been a "build in progress" for some time. Water cooling came into the picture around June/July of last year and that took some considerable amount of time being that I never did anything like that before. Overall, if I were to do it all over again, it would still take the better part of day or say to be up and running, perhaps 2 days with proper leak testing etc.

Right now, not looking at doing nothing more to it than what I have already done. This is pretty much set up as far as I can take it right now. Only a third Titan if I do more down sampling will make me modify it some more..which if I do I will add a back plate to the Titans and perhaps get a dual pump, since a 3rd GPU, 3 Rads, 1 CPU block may make my single pump a little underpowered.

Well, shit..and now I am already planning stuff! Geez this hobby is rough! lol.

zam

My system sidebar after map loaded in BF3, with firefox open w/ a few tabs.

KHcH48L.png

Temps stay nice and cool. Info is pulled from CoreTemp plugin of Rainmeter. Max temps I've reached today is 57C on my 3rd core.

Where do I download this plugin?

Hawk269

Off of your list, I have both the Razer Star Wars Mouse, and the Logitech Keyboard K800(which i just got 1 week ago, it was sooo worth the money).

Both are fabulous. I cant believe you have the exact same Mouse/KB set up as me.

Yes, I love the keyboard. Still getting a little use to it, but so far it is really good. I been looking for a backlit wireless keyboard and was having a hard time finding one, but this one just fit the bill and it has been great. I normally only use my Star Wars mouse when gaming on stuff that uses the extra buttons, the new Logitech Mouse I have with the ball is really good too. It sync's up with the same receiver that the keyboard does. Still getting use to that as well as the trackball is something new to me, but already been getting pretty good with it and really no need to move the mouse around with it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I googled this and got tons of different info. Here's where I find myself:

Upgraded from gtx 295 to Titan. Went into safe mode and the nvidia auto-detect thing even saw the Titan and I downloaded the drivers from there. But still I get stuck in windows starting screen when trying to boot normally. Any ideas what else I can do?

Upgraded from gtx 295 to Titan. Went into safe mode and the nvidia auto-detect thing even saw the Titan and I downloaded the drivers from there. But still I get stuck in windows starting screen when trying to boot normally. Any ideas what else I can do?

When I first built my computer I couldn't get past the windows start screen (unless I was in safe mode) because my computer was starting in a resolution that the tv I was using as a monitor didn't support. So I grabbed my brothers monitor and it fired right up. I'm not sure if that could even be remotely your problem but hey I tried.

Smokey

Try putting the 295 back in and see if it works ok. What drivers is it auto detecting?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Try putting the 295 back in and see if it works ok. What drivers is it auto detecting?
I don't think it's detecting drivers because I can only get into safe mode which doesn't load the drivers Afaict. Nvidia site just lists blank for drivers and recommends the Titan ones.

What would be the benefit of putting the 295 back do you think? I can do most everything In safe mode just can't get regular startup.

kharma45

Thanks! I was looking at the PowerCooler because it runs on the quiet side and I want that for a PC I'm going to be using hooked up to my tv. How do you think the Gigabyte card compares there?
I have considered an SSD, but I plan on waiting and getting a slightly larger one about 6 months down the road so I'm not spending quite as much money up front.

The Windforce is one of the quietest.

Very nice, congrats.

Just wanted to say thank you guys (kharma45, mkenyon, and others) for all the informations and what was said about the PSUs >_< I should have listened from the very beginning as it is much better for the long run. I wanted to do something else with the money but it can wait as this is a lot better use of the budget vs what I was going to do.

Oh yeah, kharma45, the case arrived and it is actually nowhere near as flimsy (or cheap) as the reviews said and the front USB ports are actually very sturdy and held in place well. Just that the wires are longer than what I would have liked, but still.

Glad to hear it is solid.

How would PC GAF rate the following build for an under $600 budget? Comments would be appreciated if there are better alternatives/ideas to note:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/OlAr

You don't need the Hyper 212 for a non-overclockable CPU.

Also that PSU is likely junk. You'd be better off with say a NZXT Source 210 and then getting a PSU separately, whether it be something like the XFX Core 450w or a modular unit if you wish to spend a bit more.

bro1

Banned
I don't think it's detecting drivers because I can only get into safe mode which doesn't load the drivers Afaict. Nvidia site just lists blank for drivers and recommends the Titan ones.

What would be the benefit of putting the 295 back do you think? I can do most everything In safe mode just can't get regular startup.
Unplug from the Internet before rebooting so windows doesn't try to auto download the drivers

Smokey

It sounds like a driver issue but that would be one way to tell for sure, that's all.

If it's defaulting you to the recommended titan drivers I suggest you not use those. I had problems for days on my setup where it went batshit crazy when I had those installed. . Completely uninstall your current drivers and download the newest nvidia drivers, 314.22 I believe. Disconnect from the Internet and give it a try.

Got a GTX 690 put into my rig yesterday and realized I only had FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor installed in Steam, sort of embarassing. Jumped into WoW and pushed everything to Ultra at 16X MSAA and it held 60 in Stormwind @ 1680x, which was cute, if overkill.

Loaded up HotS and every time I go into the settings menu it hardlocks the machine. Not sure what's going on there, maybe time to move from the WHQL drivers to beta ones? Anyone else seen anything similar. A quick search on the net didn't turn up much.

ruxtpin

Banned
Got all the parts on my new PC earlier this week and spent the evening on Monday building.

Got everything in there, turned it on, and the motherboard LED displayed an error for "PCH Initialization." Noticed the front case fan wasn't working (though it was plugged in), so I moved the connector to a different plug on the motherboard and started up again... "No Memory!"

I had followed the recommended motherboard guidelines for placing 2 sticks of RAM (one slot A2 and then one in slot B2). I decided to unseat and put both sticks in A1 and A2. Booted again and all was well.

No monitor yet, so I was using a 32" LCD TV to do everything after the initial boot (install Windows 7, install drivers, etc). I've gotta' say though that Bioshock Infinite and Metro 2033 looked great with everything maxed out, running smooth as butter.

I'll try to post some pics later, as I'm curious to see if anyone might have recommendations for better cable management. I think I did okay, but I'm sure I could have done better.

What do people here think about the price\performance of a titan? They seem a little expensive to me. Considering trying to sell my current video cards for them, but it's hard to justify...

Coldsnap

Think it's time to get a new build. With a i5 2500k and GTX 560 I'm only able to run Bioshock infinite at normal for a locked 60 fps. Haswell needs to come out asap! so i can make a new build.

Coldsnap

Hmm i will double check

Nah, I bought the ASUS P8H67-M LX. No overclocking. So I could get a board that will be Haswell capable and enjoy my i5 2500k until release, but I might just continue to hold out and just do a re-make. I could do a SSD, water cooled CPU fan, better card, and Haswell.

kharma45

Hmm i will double check

Nah, I bought the ASUS P8H67-M LX. No overclocking. So I could get a board that will be Haswell capable and enjoy my i5 2500k until release, but I might just continue to hold out and just do a re-make. I could do a SSD, water cooled CPU fan, better card, and Haswell.

If it's H67 then it can't overclock sadly. There are no Haswell capable boards on sale at present.

You'd be better off just buying a new board for your 2500K, Haswell isn't going to be hugely faster in games than your 2500K in all likelihood. Others may disagree but it'd be a more cost effective method in my eyes just getting a Z77 board and a new cooler and overclocking the nuts off it.

Smokey

What do people here think about the priceperformance of a titan? They seem a little expensive to me. Considering trying to sell my current video cards for them, but it's hard to justify...

It's a halo product. There is no price performance here. It's a very powerful card. It's mainly aimed at multi monitor setups or 2560x1440 /1600 monitors. If you're still on 1080p I would go the 680/7970 route.
But if you want the best Titan it is.

What do people here think about the price\performance of a titan? They seem a little expensive to me. Considering trying to sell my current video cards for them, but it's hard to justify...

If you need to think about price/performance then it isn't the card for you. While it is an amazing card it is more for people that realize and are okay with paying a premium for it, and know that it's "value" will not last.

Edit: Should have refreshed before posting, Smokey explained it better.

kennah

Hmm i will double check

Sounds like you want to upgrade anyway :) you'll be able to get a couple bucks for your existing setup which will help with the upgrade certainly

mkenyon

Banned
Worth it, IMO.

When 680s are chugging hard on games, the Titan will stay strong. Tons of compute power, tons of VRAM, tons of memory bandwidth.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It sounds like a driver issue but that would be one way to tell for sure, that's all.

If it's defaulting you to the recommended titan drivers I suggest you not use those. I had problems for days on my setup where it went batshit crazy when I had those installed. . Completely uninstall your current drivers and download the newest nvidia drivers, 314.22 I believe. Disconnect from the Internet and give it a try.

Ok I'll give that a shot. I also wonder if I shouldn't switch out the PCI-E connectors. I just used my existing ones but they should work and everything seems to be snugly in there. Didn't want to have to dig in again as I've already created work for myself by updating the BIOS (have to redo my CPU & mem overclocks). Grrr, I knew it wouldn't be totally plug and play I guess.

I bought 2x4 GB for my girlfriend's $450 non-gaming, basic-uses desktop that I built her in November. Cost me $35 at the time. I should have stocked up for my next build.

...I'm tempted to steal her Samsung RAM and give her my lazy ol' G.Skill. She'd never notice GAF, I swear.

kharma45

I bought 2x4 GB for my girlfriend's $450 non-gaming, basic-uses desktop that I built her in November. Cost me $35 at the time. I should have stocked up for my next build.

...I'm tempted to steal her Samsung RAM and give her my lazy ol' G.Skill. She'd never notice GAF, I swear.

Do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom