• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Possibly a dumb question, but as someone who hasn't run an SLI setup since the 3DFX Voodoo days I was curious about how the system treats the memory of the cards in question. I've currently got a 560ti and bought a used second one. They're both 1GB cards, but I wanted to know if you effectively get 2GB of video memory or not. If someone can explain how it ends up working, that'd be rad.

In SLI/CF, the amount of VRAM is always equal to the smallest card. Never combine. Thus, in your case, it's 1GB.

kennah

Possibly a dumb question, but as someone who hasn't run an SLI setup since the 3DFX Voodoo days I was curious about how the system treats the memory of the cards in question. I've currently got a 560ti and bought a used second one. They're both 1GB cards, but I wanted to know if you effectively get 2GB of video memory or not. If someone can explain how it ends up working, that'd be rad.

Still just one gig, doesn't behave as two gig.

Here is my current setup:

GTX Titan Superclock +80 core +100 mem
i7 950 @ 4.1
WESTERN DIGITAL VELOCI RAPTOR 300GB 10K RPM HD
Corsair 6GB RAM @ 1600

Getting around 8400 on Firestrike at the top end. Trying to go to 4.2 on the CPU is not working -- that thing is running way hot as is, might even go back to 4.0 if the performance doesn't suffer too much.

Is it safe to say at this point in terms of what I can do with the parts I have that the hard drive and RAM are holding back the performance? I just don't see much wiggle room in the CPU or GPU right now.

Damn it all now I just want a new PC. :p Patience....

It plays all the games you want at 60fps, doesn't it? What more do you need?

knitoe

Here is my current setup:

GTX Titan Superclock +80 core +100 mem
i7 950 @ 4.1
WESTERN DIGITAL VELOCI RAPTOR 300GB 10K RPM HD
Corsair 6GB RAM @ 1600

Getting around 8400 on Firestrike at the top end. Trying to go to 4.2 on the CPU is not working -- that thing is running way hot as is, might even go back to 4.0 if the performance doesn't suffer too much.

Is it safe to say at this point in terms of what I can do with the parts I have that the hard drive and RAM are holding back the performance? I just don't see much wiggle room in the CPU or GPU right now.

Damn it all now I just want a new PC. :p Patience....

Your CPU is still holding you back since the higher stable OC the better your scores.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It plays all the games you want at 60fps, doesn't it? What more do you need?

When I play FC3 on Ultra it occasionally gets into the 40s and 50s (and this is 1680 x 1050 -- totally unacceptable). Have not tooled around with it too much with other games yet what lead me to even get into optimizing was FC3 being low 40s at points. Bleeeh.

Your CPU is still holding you back since the higher stable OC the better your scores.
Yeah I know, thanks. Don't think I can upgrade though since Harshwell is coming out so soon. Are there any CPUs you think would be a good idea to get just to swap into the mobo? This one is starting to run really hot, making me wonder if something's up in general (though I can get a stable 4.0 for sure).

Would this all work together? I haven't put a PC together in about 6 years.

http://amzn.com/w/I860XGSPZW67

Anything that should be switched out/changed/etc?

Alternatively, anything that I can look for cheaper components of, and upgrade to better stuff in a year or two?

edit: what is the cheapest way to get Windows these days, anyway

HoosTrax

Finished my 'Steambox' the other day.

Silverstone FT03B
Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
i5 3570K
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Gigabyte GTX660
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD
Seasonic G Series 550w
The FT03 has probably the best use of space I've ever seen in a case. Nothing is wasted, and there is no underutilized empty space.

The only gripe I have with it whenever I see one is that I feel like they made it three inches too tall in order to accommodate the cable-hiding mechanism.

Suairyu

Banned
A decent BeQuiet unit should also be serviceable, but I haven't read up on them recently at all.

yeah a Be Quiet is probably the best you'll do without spending over £90.

their mid-range one that is modular is the Pure Power L8, and they're good units. I bought one myself (430w version) and it has been going great guns.
A big thanks to you two. Bought the BeQuiet 530W. My PC is now quieter than my PS3. What a superb difference in sound.

(Meanwhile, Scan tested the mobo, cpu, and ram, replaced the cpu and sent it all back to me. Problem persists. I reckon it's the mobo at this point. Got a bit testy on the phone to them today)

oh yeah forgot to ask earlier... but why do ripjaws look like stuff you buy at the power ranger aisle at Target?

Sometimes I just hate pc gaming lol.

On a kinda off topic thing, but any good office chair recommendations, or are they all ymmv?

oh yeah forgot to ask earlier... but why do ripjaws look like stuff you buy at the power ranger aisle at Target?

On a kinda off topic thing, but any good office chair recommendations, or are they all ymmv?

I honestly like the normal ripjaw and ripjaw X look. Lower enough profile heat spreader that will fit under a d14. Think the Zs look terrible though. It's heat spreader looks almost as bad as the corsair ones.

Not that it matters much to me anyway, since I don't normally get cases with a window, and the bigger air cpu coolers cover them.

nbthedude

Would this all work together? I haven't put a PC together in about 6 years.

http://amzn.com/w/I860XGSPZW67

Anything that should be switched out/changed/etc?

Alternatively, anything that I can look for cheaper components of, and upgrade to better stuff in a year or two?

edit: what is the cheapest way to get Windows these days, anyway

The parts looks good. If you live remotely close to a micro center, get the processor there. For, example, that i5 3570k fr $210 at Amazon is $189 at Microcenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

They also have deals on processor+motherboard combos that are good. If you buy that processor with this motherboard, you get the motherboard for $69.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388327/GA-Z77-DS3H_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

That $90 off your costs right there.

If you can't buy at Microecenrer, try looking at NewEggs motherboard+CPU combos.

If you want to knock off even more, you could always get by with a 500gB hard drive and 4gb of RAM for now. You can always add another harddrive and more RAM later and as long as you don't leave a bunch of programs open while you game, 4GB is plenty. Do that and you are probably down another $50 or so without sacrificing hardly any performance.

Dave_6

I love the 'pure function' look of my Samsung ram!

The only gripe I have with it whenever I see one is that I feel like they made it three inches too tall in order to accommodate the cable-hiding mechanism.

That's fine with me, because honestly, despite being sff this case has some of the best cable management I've seen, even compared to the mid-tower builds I've done.

HoosTrax

Those do get hot when in use, so the tacky-looking finned heatspreader can help a bit, especially if you have a front case fan or a front CPU fan.

But it's just as much about aesthetics. I think both the manufacturers and enthusiasts like the parts to stand out from typical consumer grade components that have green PCBs and no absurd-looking heatsinks.

Ripjaws are still kind of tame compared to the Crucial Ballistix Tracers with flashing LEDS though.

snack

The parts looks good. If you live remotely close to a micro center, get the processor there. For, example, that i5 3570k fr $210 at Amazon is $189 at Microcenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

They also have deals on processor+motherboard combos that are good. If you buy that processor with this motherboard, you get the motherboard for $69.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388327/GA-Z77-DS3H_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

That $90 off your costs right there.

If you can't buy at Microecenrer, try looking at NewEggs motherboard+CPU combos.

If you want to knock off even more, you could always get by with a 500gB hard drive and 4gb of RAM for now. You can always add another harddrive and more RAM later and as long as you don't leave a bunch of programs open while you game, 4GB is plenty. D that and you are probably down another $50 or so without sacrificing hardly any performance.
I wish I lived in the States, right beside a microcenter...

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to your troopers in this thread, without you guys I would be so clueless on how to build a new PC.

Been lurking for a while, feels good man. A question, (please answer in noob terms)

If i upgrade to an SSD, how does one begin to transfer files from my current HD to the SSD? Any help is appreciated.

Again, thanks a ton guys, so much help!

Jafku

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to your troopers in this thread, without you guys I would be so clueless on how to build a new PC.

Been lurking for a while, feels good man. A question, (please answer in noob terms)

If i upgrade to an SSD, how does one begin to transfer files from my current HD to the SSD? Any help is appreciated.

Again, thanks a ton guys, so much help!
I believe you would clone the hdd to the ssd in your case. Something like acronis
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#overview
personally though i just did a fresh install to my ssd.

kennah

well lets not go crazy now. they arent in the most family friendly areas. :)

although, the one in Chicago does have a tiger direct right down the road. so, thats convenient.

I was going to go to the one in Chicago when I was driving past last year.

But then I got scared of going to Chicago.

Red

I believe you would clone the hdd to the ssd in your case. Something like acronis
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#overview
personally though i just did a fresh install to my ssd.

Acronis is neat, but what's the best method for completely reinstalling Windows purchased as a digital download if you no longer have access to the files? Is it possible to restore to a new HDD using a repair disc?

(this isn't directed at Jakfu.)

Anton668

I was going to go to the one in Chicago when I was driving past last year.

But then I got scared of going to Chicago.

meh, coming from a podunk lil town (pop less than 6000), I love Chitown. Thought its been said my driving style fits right in so... lol

Chicago, the city where if you can see daylight between 2 cars, somebody will try an park a HumVee there!

kennah

meh, coming from a podunk lil town (pop less than 6000), I love Chitown. Thought its been said my driving style fits right in so... lol

Chicago, the city where if you can see daylight between 2 cars, somebody will try an park a HumVee there!

I'm Canadian. We pretty much just assume that everyone in Chicago, LA and Detroit will just get murdered eventually.

kharma45

A big thanks to you two. Bought the BeQuiet 530W. My PC is now quieter than my PS3. What a superb difference in sound.

(Meanwhile, Scan tested the mobo, cpu, and ram, replaced the cpu and sent it all back to me. Problem persists. I reckon it's the mobo at this point. Got a bit testy on the phone to them today)

Glad you're pleased with the PSU, i hope the brand grows in popularity in time as they have a lot of very good products.

Jafku

Acronis is neat, but what's the best method for completely reinstalling Windows purchased as a digital download if you no longer have access to the files? Is it possible to restore to a new HDD using a repair disc?

(this isn't directed at Jakfu.)

I know this isn't directed at me but what do you mean you don't have access to the files? You mean the actual os? You could just redownload it. You still have the key right? I believe pirating a key is illegal, not the actual OS ISO. If you still have a valid key then just download the iso

fallagin

I'm thinking of selling my gtx 570 and getting a 680.

First, what do you think I should sell my 570 for? No packaging(the pc came prebuilt) and no manual or other stuff. It is an EVGA 1.280 GB.

Second, how should I ship it if I do sell it?

Third, should I get a 680 2gb or 4gb? What is the performance gap there?

Thank you for any help!

kennah

That how I feel about Winterpeg
That's fair. There are parts of Winnipeg that the rest of Winnipeg feels that way :p

Man I want to move

Edit back on topic. 570s seem to go for 130-150 depending. You would be best shipping it in an antistat bag that has been put in a padded box.

This is what I currently have and I want to keep it as is for a good while, but what's the next logical step for upgrading?

AMD FX 4100 (4x 3.60GHz)
8gb Ram
GTX 550 Ti
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M LX
Power Supply - 500w Cooler Master Elite

I realise the graphics card isn't up to snuff but for now I'm okay without running things full resolution etc. Anyway any feedback would be welcome.

Also the next gen of consoles, what sort of PC would we be talking to be near enough the same as them? How much would they cost?

CHEERS!

Jafku

This is what I currently have and I want to keep it as is for a good while still but what's the next logical step for upgrading?

AMD FX 4100 (4x 3.60GHz)
8gb Ram
GTX 550 Ti
Motherboard Asus M5A78L-M LX
Power Supply - 500w Cooler Master Elite

I realise the graphics card isn't up to snuff but for now I'm okay without running things full resolution etc. Anyway any feedback would be welcome.

Also the next gen of consoles, what sort of PC would we be talking to be near enough the same as them? How much would they cost?

CHEERS!
I mean i'd say graphics card but since i read your description, an ssd would be the next upgrade i'd consider

I mean i'd say graphics card but since i read your description, an ssd would be the next upgrade i'd consider

Yeah I've been thinking about getting one and I will down the road. So with an SSD I just run the OS off it or what other benefits are there?

This is my first gaming PC so I'm new to everything I've had it a while now and I'd love to stay a PC gamer forever. It's a dream compared to owning a console.

Edit: Another question to anyone, I hear that with some motherboards some graphics cards will not work with them etc and sort of the same thing with the power supply? So what I'm actually asking is what I have capable of being upgraded for now, where will I run into problems in the future?

Jafku

Yeah I've been thinking about getting one and I will down the road. So with an SSD I just run the OS of of it or what other benefits are their?

ideally, you'd want to get an ssd as your boot drive and use your current hdd for storage, things like music, movies, documents etc... With the ssd as your boot drive you will experience faster load times and faster boot times. A good size would be 120GB and up. I personally wouldn't bother with a 60GB at the price currently. I'd recommend a
Samsung 840 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147192
or a
Crucial M4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-529&IsVirtualParent=1
for about $100 i'd recommend
Samsung 840
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188
or
kingston SSD Vnow 300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

fallagin

That's fair. There are parts of Winnipeg that the rest of Winnipeg feels that way :p

Man I want to move

Edit back on topic. 570s seem to go for 130-150 depending. You would be best shipping it in an antistat bag that has been put in a padded box.

Hmm, 130-150 eh.. Well I guess that's not too bad. Hmm, maybe I should wait for the next set of cards.

Phreaker

Right click on the speaker on the taskbar (next to the clock). Select playback.

Next, select your sound card from the list and click on configure.

From there select 5.1 and click on test. All of them should work.

Ah, no wonder I didn't find it. That option is grayed out for me on my Optical output. Here's a screenshot.

shot1.png

In theory I should get DTS in surround sound using this ASUS MB and SPDIF/Optical out. I'd really like to figure out how to do this or I'm afraid it's back to consoles if I want to play on my big TV in surround. ;)

ideally, you'd want to get an ssd as your boot drive and use your current hdd for storage, things like music, movies, documents etc... With the ssd as your boot drive you will experience faster load times and faster boot times. A good size would be 120GB and up. I personally wouldn't bother with a 60GB at the price currently. I'd recommend a
Samsung 840 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147192
or a
Crucial M4
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-529&IsVirtualParent=1
for about $100 i'd recommend
Samsung 840
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188
or
kingston SSD Vnow 300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

Right okay, so run the OS off it and games leave everything else to my 1tb. Makes sense. Thanks!

Jafku

Okay maybe around £200 ($300)? Keeping in mind would I have to upgrade any part of my PC to use this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121656.

I don't think you have to upgrade anything else. But im honestly not sure. Unless you want to wait for the next gen of cards which is apparently 6 monhts away?
EDIT:
Or this,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125441. I'd ask others for suggestions as well. If you want to AMD you could go for the 7950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202030.
Comes with two games as well

well lets not go crazy now. they arent in the most family friendly areas. :)

although, the one in Chicago does have a tiger direct right down the road. so, thats convenient.
I used to live down the street from the Chicago one. Spent a lot of time there just poking around. I'm only like an hour drive away now though, at least.

demented

With some help from kind people at overclock.net here's my final* build:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI (guess I'll sell my wifi card too? got an extra one in a box somewhere, don't need 3 )
120GB Samsung 840 Series
DIMM DDR3 8GB 1866MHz Patriot Venom Red CL10, P38G180UR - unless I find better
Arctic Silver Céramique 2 Warmeleitpaste, 2.7g, - rethinking this
LGA775/1156/1366/AM2/AM3 Xigmatek Gaia SD1283, 120mm/PWM - good enough
PSU Seasonic M12II-750Bronze, 750W, 12cm fan, EPS/Active PFC/80 PLUS (SS-750AM) PROBABLY

amd 7970, probably asus, adding 2nd down the road and buying 120hz monitor, probably around christmas

stuff that I will reuse/not sell:
BenQ G2400WD Black 24" 5ms, 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T LightScribe Support
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM floppy LOL but I figured I might need it some day, should probably disconnect it or something and keep it in a box biggrin.gif
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive x2 for storage
Asus XONAR DG soundcard

*still open to changes lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121656.

I don't think you have to upgrade anything else. But im honestly not sure. Unless you want to wait for the next gen of cards which is apparently 6 monhts away?

I think I'll end up waiting it out and seeing what happens with the next gen of consoles and cards but I'll keep an eye out for that card see what sort of deals there are. Anyway I'll take my gaming PC ignorance elsewhere for now.

Thanks for the help!

theytookourjobz

I keep thinking about buying a new card but my 6870 still runs everything at 1080p and looks damn good doing it. Definitely has more legs than I thought it would when I built my rig a year ago. I wonder if we will see anything that pushes hardware before next gen rolls around. If I haven't bought a new card before this fall, it's gonna be a tough decision between that and a PS4/720.

Red

I know this isn't directed at me but what do you mean you don't have access to the files? You mean the actual os? You could just redownload it. You still have the key right? I believe pirating a key is illegal, not the actual OS ISO. If you still have a valid key then just download the iso
I dont have it saved but I think the license key is displayed somewhere in PC info. I'll try that. Thanks.

Sorral

Yea. Do it man, don't give yourself the headache of just dealing with what you have.

Waiting a week or whatever is worth not ripping your hair out over the next months/years.

Yeah, totally. I shouldn't have worried about it much with such an easy RMA, but you know the excitement of putting everything together and then wanting it to work. The MB will be here after tomorrow already. :)

With some help from kind people at overclock.net here's my final* build:

120GB Samsung 840 Series
DDR3 8GB 1866MHz Patriot Venom Red CL10, P38G180UR
*still open to changes lol

Make sure that Samsung is a Pro and that RAM looks OOS/discontinued on newegg while it takes over a month to ship from Amazon. Kinda weird because the date on it in Amazon is not old.

Looks pretty great though either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom