• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorral

I think I'm giving up on the two bent pins in the MB's socket. They don't look they even got a head to connect to the CPU now that I looked much closer/messed with them.

Sorry for the rant earlier. Just wasn't expecting to run into this at all after putting everything together.

brentech

What for? Everyone I talked to said there's no need and I can easily add it later to sae the cost now because plane ticket is gonna be like 20% of PC now lol
better than spending 24 hours on train and sleeping at friend's house after :p

While I'd usually agree with only needing 8gb, you were hoping for better future proof over 3-5 years, so 50 bucks or whatever may be worth it. Also if you do any heavy photo editing or video, you'll want it anyways.

I think I'm giving up on the two bent pins in the MB's socket. They don't look they even got a head to connect to the CPU now that I looked much closer/messed with them.

Sorry for the rant earlier. Just wasn't expecting to run into this at all after putting everything together.
I'd look into ASRock rma. It may be possible to get them to replace the board. I know it's not the outcome you'd want, but it's a worthwhile try and save you longterm headaches if they exchange it.

End users or indirect customer:
Thank you for choosing ASRock Motherboard. Due to the unique configuration of each computer, we recommend you to contact your dealer for technical support. If you would like contact us for technical support. Please send us an email support@asrockamerica.com and give us a detail discription of the problem alone with the following information.

CPU/Processor (Brand,Speed, FSB,Cache Size)
Memory (Speed, Capacity, Brand)
Video Card (Brand, Model, Memory size)
Operating System (Loaded service pack and driver)
Hard Drive (Brand, Model, Capacity)
Other Device (Brand, Model) * If necessary
*Additional system configuration information may require.

ASRock provide 1 year warranty service to Authorized Distributor, users should refer to the retailer or original vender RMA & Refund policy. If experiencing difficulties in warranty service through your dealer or place of purchase, ASRock will attempt to resolve this issue. For the motherboard that out of warranty, there is a service charge depend on the model + shipping for each item. ASRock America will only provide warranty service to ASRock products purchased within North America.

BIOS $15.00 + shipping
ASRock CD $5.00 + shipping
ASRock I/O Panel $5.00 + shipping

Sorral

I'd look into ASRock rma. It may be possible to get them to replace the board. I know it's not the outcome you'd want, but it's a worthwhile try and save you longterm headaches if they exchange it.

Luckily, this is from Amazon and not newegg. They will do a replacement or exchange easily with a free label. Would have def. used what you suggested if this was newegg.

The replacement MB will be here on the 10th. I hope things go smoother next time around as I at least know what to expect now.

brentech

Luckily, this is from Amazon and not newegg. They will do a replacement or exchange easily with a free label. Would have def. used what you suggested if this was newegg.

The replacement MB will be here on the 10th. I hope things go smoother next time around as I at least know what to expect now.
Yea. Do it man, don't give yourself the headache of just dealing with what you have.

Waiting a week or whatever is worth not ripping your hair out over the next months/years.

A.Romero

Thanks. I looked all over and didn't find such an option. I'm using Windows 7.

I noticed where I configure what my receiver supports, if I test DTS, DD 5.1, or WMAPro I hear the chime from all channels.

Right click on the speaker on the taskbar (next to the clock). Select playback.

Next, select your sound card from the list and click on configure.

From there select 5.1 and click on test. All of them should work.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
After days of agonizing with getting the Titan working, and then restoring my O/C, I think I finally got things to a good place. My vcore is a bit high but it was needed. Are these decent results for my rig (Titan, i7950 O/C to 3.9, 6GB 1600 RAM)?
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/499609? (7504 on Fire Strike, and then I think the others don't really matter?)

After this I guess there is no point in OC'ing the Titan but it would be nice to get the cpu to 4.2.

friday

So I got some M-audio bx8a monitors that I would like to hook up to my PC. So far I think my best option will be to use an external soundcard that interfaces through USB. I would also like something with a line-in so I can hookup my PS3 to the speakers.

So far the only external cards that seem like what I am looking for are the Creative soundblaster x-fi surround and the Creative sound blaster x-fi HD. I only need stereo sound because I will be using monitors. I dont completely get why the HD is more expensive, I guess because it has higher quality audio in support. I could also go with something like a PreSonus AudioBox USB 2x2, but that seems a bit overkill and starting to get a little pricy.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Anton668

After days of agonizing with getting the Titan working, and then restoring my O/C, I think I finally got things to a good place. My vcore is a bit high but it was needed. Are these decent results for my rig (Titan, i7950 O/C to 3.9, 6GB 1600 RAM)?
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/499609? (7504 on Fire Strike, and then I think the others don't really matter?)

After this I guess there is no point in OC'ing the Titan but it would be nice to get the cpu to 4.2.

the others, specialy the first one, do not matter.
just me but I really thought your score would be higher base on others I have seen.
mine is...
iMD7NtWz91Zkt.png

ibp4H8GwwEvlA2.png

not sure how much a diff of 1000 is, just seems off based on that

searching the 3dmark site for titan as well...

3DMark Titan results

ETA: also by no means am I calling your score crap. just that I was surprised is all

Amazon seems to have some nice cases on sale. How do I access front USB ports on a tower? Do they connect to the mobo and work, or what? I have trouble imagining how they work otherwise.

looking to put together a pc (obviously)
low budget but need everything except mouse kb speakers as i got some spares lying about
can only spend 700$
cant really wait long

Your Current Specs: N/a
Budget: 700$ US
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming-5
Gaming-5
Emulation (PS2/Wii)-0
Video Editing, HD Streaming, 3D/Model work-0
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)-5 (web itunes flash games etc)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?: best possible but would like bigger
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?30 fps fine no particular must play games but if i had to give something as a guage id like to play bioshok (not ultra all obviously)
Looking to reuse any parts?: just kb/mouse speakers
When will you build?: within a couple weeks
Will you be overclocking?: NO

I tried using the OP but yeah i dont wanna screw up and got confused a bit....a partspicker list would be pretty cool so i can just click and order.

Thanks for any help you guys can do

Damn it GAF, I'm conflicted as to whether I should keep buying stuff over time or all at once. Deals seem to be really good for a lot of stuff. I grabbed RAM already, but that WD10EZEX is at a pretty good price atm.

Anton668

Damn it GAF, I'm conflicted as to whether I should keep buying stuff over time or all at once. Deals seem to be really good for a lot of stuff. I grabbed RAM already, but that WD10EZEX is at a pretty good price atm.

nobody would fault anyone for taking advantage of a great price.

nbthedude

looking to put together a pc (obviously)
low budget but need everything except mouse kb speakers as i got some spares lying about
can only spend 700$
cant really wait long

I tried using the OP but yeah i dont wanna screw up and got confused a bit....a partspicker list would be pretty cool so i can just click and order.

Thanks for any help you guys can do

www.newegg.com

Rosewill FBM-01 Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811147123
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$29.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136769
$59.99

Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817371023
-$10.00 Instant
$49.99

CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX3M1A1333C9
Item #: N82E16820145322
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
-$4.00 Instant
$25.99

SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC Version
Item #: N82E16814202004
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
-$10.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$169.99

AMD Gift coupon: Bioshock Inf. + Tomb Raider
Item #: N82E16800995146
-$139.99 Saving
$0.00

Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 ...
Item #: N82E16819115234
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

ASRock B75 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157329

-$10.00 Instant
-$13.00 Combo
$256.98

Total: $592

Leaves you with $100 for a monitor.just plug in the item numbers.

nbthedude

he may need a copy of Win though unless he happens to know somebody that can still get it on the cheap

and you forgot MB

Motherboard is part of the combo (motherboard+processor)

If he has any old pC at all he can just use magic jellybean to get the key for a fresh install.

courtesy snip

Thank you.
I appreciate the list/time you put in.

ill be ordering tomorrow (im in bed now on Vita dead tired).

Nothing i need to put this together besides some basic handtools right (just asking cause i watched a few vids and they glue cpu down with something....not sure if i need that)?

Thanks again I appreciate the help

hell if youre going to microcenter why not get the 3770K if you can.

I would if I was near a microcenter :(

I'm getting everything but the CPU, GPU, and mobo while things are on sale. I'll decide when Haswell hits if I'd rather stay with 3570k or move onto Haswell if comparable in price.

Anton668

I would if I was near a microcenter :(

I'm getting everything but the CPU, GPU, and mobo while things are on sale. I'll decide when Haswell hits if I'd rather stay with 3570k or move onto Haswell if comparable in price.

well the link you posted had the CPU at microcenter(in store only), so thats why i asked

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
searching the 3dmark site for titan as well...

3DMark Titan results

ETA: also by no means am I calling your score crap. just that I was surprised is all

haha no no still had some tweaking to do. now at 8400, which seems to put me middle of the pack for this combo. not sure all that goes into the calcs, but outdated parts of my build include no ssd and only 6gb ram. at 4.1 on the 950 and OC on the Titan, I'm guessing those aren't the things hold me back tooo much (well, I know the 950 is, but obv it's possible to get more out of it in some way though not going to do anything other than O/C until I just flat out build a new rig next year).

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Hi Gaf,

Thanks again for a great thread.

I really need some help with transmitting wireless video on a PC.

Some context:

My potential purchase of a new gaming/entertainment PC has come to
crunch time. I am tempted to go drop $1650-1850 AUD on a new rig.
My problem (a very first world problem), is that I am also keen on
upgrading my “work from home”/general use at home laptop. I can get
tax concessions by purchasing a laptop through work. I work from home, at least to some extent, most nights.

The simple point is that I could most likely get a great work/home
laptop and a PS4 for the same price as a top end gaming PC. Actually,
I think I would have change from buying the PS4/Laptop.

My Question

If I purchased a gaming and media PC for my living room could I also
broadcast its picture, in an effective manner, wirelessly to a monitor
in my study? My study and living room share a wall. As my laptop currently
rarely leaves my study, this would enable me to work from home using
my gaming and media pc via a PC monitor in my study.

One additional problem: I use a remote client to access my work PC
(this already creates some lag), any wireless video lag in my home
would make issues worse.

Edit sorry for the formatting - this is an iPhone post.

Bowl

Banned
i was wondering if anyone could help with this build. Anything I should change, anything that is a waste? This will be my first completely custom PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.05 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($195.76 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.29 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($469.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($65.83 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($49.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1295.38

Esqueleto

Banned
Yea, I wish I had a microcenter. Outside of the CPU/GPU/mobo though, my build is final.
If you live near a frys, they should price match microcenter. I already got 2 3770ks from them. They made me wait a bit the first time though.
Also, try to get low profile ram. LP ram barely fits with my 212 plus. The evo might be different but looking at the picture, it looks about the same size.

Durante

i was wondering if anyone could help with this build. Anything I should change, anything that is a waste? This will be my first completely custom PC.
You are using a full tower ATX case but only a micro ATX mainboard. Is this intentional?

If you want to save money, you can go with a cheaper mainboard, ie. this:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z77pro3
Same chipset, $100 cheaper, and I've never had any issues with ASRock.

I'd reinvest those savings into a 4GB 680, should be much more future proof for next-gen ports.

Pandemic

Hi, so I've been looking at these two Powerline adapters, but i don't know which one to purchase, are their any differences apart from the AC pass through? Is Netcomm any good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28105136...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3728wt_1163
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25120266...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4557wt_906

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I were to get a cablesmen to get an ethernet connection from one room to another, would it be better than a powerline connection?

Whooter

Hi, so I've been looking at these two Powerline adapters, but i don't know which one to purchase, are their any differences apart from the AC pass through? Is Netcomm any good?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28105136...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3728wt_1163
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25120266...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4557wt_906

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I were to get a cablesmen to get an ethernet connection from one room to another, would it be better than a powerline connection?

Nothing beats a straight CAT6 gigabit ethernet connection, but Powerline is the next best thing IMHO.

So guys, question about using and SSD and an HDD. I'd be using my SSD for OS, and most apps, and the HDD for storage. But will running games off my HDD hinder performance in any way?

brentech

PCPartPicker part list
I'd personally look at a different type board. There are plenty of great motherboards at a lower price. Can either keep the savings or push towards something else, like the sorely missing SSD.
So guys, question about using and SSD and an HDD. I'd be using my SSD for OS, and most apps, and the HDD for storage. But will running games off my HDD hinder performance in any way?
Currently I'm running all my games off my HDD. Haven't come across any problems or slowdowns.

If you live near a frys, they should price match microcenter. I already got 2 3770ks from them. They made me wait a bit the first time though.
Also, try to get low profile ram. LP ram barely fits with my 212 plus. The evo might be different but looking at the picture, it looks about the same size.

I already bought regular profile RAM (damn) so I guess I'll need to mess with the wiring to get things perfect. There isn't a Frys that I can get to right now either though, even though I'd go in a heartbeat.

demented

Worth paying ~100e more for 240gb instead of 120 gb ssd? 120 doesn't really sound that bad, I won't have my games installed on it except one I plan to finish in a day or two and all my storage will be on 2 600gb hdds I have?

brentech

Worth paying ~100e more for 240gb instead of 120 gb ssd? 120 doesn't really sound that bad, I won't have my games installed on it except one I plan to finish in a day or two and all my storage will be on 2 600gb hdds I have?
120 is all I got. All my media and games are on my HDD.

demented

I've got an offer from the store, so I'll get 180gb version of SSD. But now the main thing, they ran out of 7950 AND 7970 and are offering 660ti and 670. Should I go for them or buy the 7970 elsewhere?
I'm not partial to either but I believe 7970 is better card from what I've read, and costs less?

And looking atm at other store, which brand of 7970 should i get: msi, sapphire, gigabyte or asus? I also see there are few models of same brand hm

Finished my 'Steambox' the other day.

Silverstone FT03B
Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
i5 3570K
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Gigabyte GTX660
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD
Seasonic G Series 550w

I immediately fell in love with the case. I'm glad I gave SilverStone a try. I've always kind of thought of them as overpriced with kooky design, but this case just works and is beautifully constructed. One thing I didn't like about the interior though was the optional 92mm fan mount for the gpu. It was an odd position for a fan and seemed more like an afterthought than anything. So in order to keep the gpu cool I installed an extra 120mm at the rear of the case. I've done extra case fans before, but the walls of this case are nearly 3mm thick aluminum, so this one was a little extra work. Three Dremel bits later I had it in though.

I've also never mounted a case fan on the outside before, and thought it would look a little ghetto, but it turned out alright I think. Mounting it on the inside would have been a little too tight. Plus the fan has a white LED to give the case some subtle back-lighting at night. In the end the gpu temps are nice and low, and the extra fan helps create positive pressure.

The Thermaltake V1 ended up being a bit of a bust though. Its fan was easily the loudest in the case (even at the lowest setting), but it also exhibited a faintly audible rattle sound. After a couple days of trying to fix it I just ended up junking the fan and am now using the V1 as a passive heatsink. Which is fine by me, I like to run passively anyways. Temps under load are still in the lower to mid 30's. Case has great cooling and airflow.

Despite the motherboard being an amazing package overall, I was a little disappointed with the supposedly excellent on-board sound. It also had the complete inability to output 5.1 surround. So I ended up spending a bit more money and picking up a Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Pro external sound card. Works much better.

But I got Big Picture up and running, the Chinese knockoff wireless controller dongle works great, and the Logitech K400 makes for a pretty decent couch keyboard. A somewhat modest machine that pushes current gen on 1080p just fine. Am happy.

HTPCinside_zpscf516ecf.jpg

HTPCfloor_zps0effce36.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
In case anyone cared at all I had to end up reformatting my computer to fix it. I believe a update that Windows pushed forcefully (I have it setup so it doesn't update Windows without my approval) somehow broke the boot record and Windows to a point that couldn't be fixed. Starting from scratch again :S

I'm trying to decide whether or not to get a Dell 2713HM 16:9 LED Backlit IPS Monitor to replace my 2408WFP 16:10 SPVA Monitor.

I also picked up a HP 27 inch 16:9 LED Backlit IPS monitor for $200 yesterday.

Ty4on

How are GPU temps with a non reference coolers BTW? Curious to see how that cooler works in a vertical orientation. Oh and that 92mm fan is for blowers, especially when two of them are in the case. Most blowers have a second exaust at the top rear of the card right under where the 92mm exaust would be.

kennah

I've also never mounted a case fan on the outside before, and thought it would look a little ghetto, but it turned out alright I think. Mounting it on the inside would have been a little too tight. Plus the fan has a white LED to give the case some subtle back-lighting at night. In the end the gpu temps are nice and low, and the extra fan helps create positive pressure.

Can you take a picture of it with the lights off? Would love to see! :)

Most blowers have a second exaust at the top rear of the card right under where the 92mm exaust would be.

Interesting, I hadn't known that. But I still think SilverStone set that fan up to be an intake, so the fan would be blowing into the gpu's exhaust. Maybe you could set it up to exhaust though, even though the case doesn't give a whole lot of room to exhaust to. It's a weird setup.... Whatever, 120mm 4 lyfe.

Yeah, I should totally do a gpu temp test - rest the case on it's front to see if there is any difference due to its orientation. What's a good stress test for a gpu?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here is my current setup:

GTX Titan Superclock +80 core +100 mem
i7 950 @ 4.1
WESTERN DIGITAL VELOCI RAPTOR 300GB 10K RPM HD
Corsair 6GB RAM @ 1600

Getting around 8400 on Firestrike at the top end. Trying to go to 4.2 on the CPU is not working -- that thing is running way hot as is, might even go back to 4.0 if the performance doesn't suffer too much.

Is it safe to say at this point in terms of what I can do with the parts I have that the hard drive and RAM are holding back the performance? I just don't see much wiggle room in the CPU or GPU right now.

Damn it all now I just want a new PC. :p Patience....

LaneDS

Possibly a dumb question, but as someone who hasn't run an SLI setup since the 3DFX Voodoo days I was curious about how the system treats the memory of the cards in question. I've currently got a 560ti and bought a used second one. They're both 1GB cards, but I wanted to know if you effectively get 2GB of video memory or not. If someone can explain how it ends up working, that'd be rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom