• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ordered one of these for myself. Should be arriving today actually.

Although, I have to wonder if all I did was set into motion a domino effect of further upgrades, like new video card(s). Not sure if I'm going to be getting the Nvidia 3D kit -- I had the ELSA kit from way back in the day, and the drivers for it were pretty atrocious (constant blue screens), and the experience itself wasn't all that great either (the much lower framerates obviously didn't help), so it sort of soured me on the whole concept of stereo 3D.

Now you're going to want to be able to take advantage of that 144hz refresh.

So you know what that means, you gonna be playing games at PS1 graphics levels until you get SLI GPU's!

I think I would be disappointed if I had a higher refresh monitor but couldn't really take advantage of it. At least not without sacrificing great visuals.

question - can you play a game on ultra settings and just lower the resolution? like put everything on max and just drop resolution?

That or consider downsampling just for kicks.

JB1981

Yes, but depending on your monitor it might look like shit if the scaling is shitty on it.

I have gotten used to 720p (or less) on my plasma with the current generation of consoles. I am awaiting arrival of the X51 and I was thinking of how I could get a solid 60fps out of graphics intense games like Crysis 3. 720p doesn't really bother me on my plasma and I imagine the IQ will look even better at max settings at 60fps. I will shoot for 1080p when I can but I know that probably won't be possible with all games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have gotten used to 720p (or less) on my plasma with the current generation of consoles. I am awaiting arrival of the X51 and I was thinking of how I could get a solid 60fps out of graphics intense games like Crysis 3. 720p doesn't really bother me on my plasma and I imagine the IQ will look even better at max settings at 60fps.

720p is a really low barometer though. The sooner we get away from accepting it the better. 1080p really should be the standard. Going from even that to 1360x768 is hurting the IQ. Let alone doing 2560x1440 to something like 1280x720.

kennah

I have gotten used to 720p (or less) on my plasma with the current generation of consoles. I am awaiting arrival of the X51 and I was thinking of how I could get a solid 60fps out of graphics intense games like Crysis 3. 720p doesn't really bother me on my plasma and I imagine the IQ will look even better at max settings at 60fps.

The X51 can run stuff at 1080p with no problem. (well, maybe not Crysis 3)

DJ_Lae

I posted in the tech support thread but it seems to be mostly abandoned at this point, so I'll ask here.

Basically, my computer has a weird problem that seems to be related to power saving or sleep mode.

Coming out of sleep mode it hangs for maybe 10-20 seconds (can move the cursor though), then everything's fine again until I put it to sleep and wake it up again.

And just idling, once it hits whatever I've changed the standby time for the monitors and they shut off, I'm done. I jiggle the mouse, they turn back on, but the screens stay blank. I can put the computer to sleep at this point by hitting my power button, wake it up again, wait for the 20 second hang, and then it's completely usable again.

It's weird.

Smokey

I have gotten used to 720p (or less) on my plasma with the current generation of consoles. I am awaiting arrival of the X51 and I was thinking of how I could get a solid 60fps out of graphics intense games like Crysis 3. 720p doesn't really bother me on my plasma and I imagine the IQ will look even better at max settings at 60fps. I will shoot for 1080p when I can but I know that probably won't be possible with all games.

Jb my man.

720p is so low. You deserve better :(

Dave_6

I know it may sound lame but I am SO ready to finally game in true 1080p60. My PC *should* be built by the end of next week if all goes well!

JB1981

Jb my man.

720p is so low. You deserve better :(

haha. hopefully X51 will provide me with years of 1080p goodness. I'm just saying if 60fps is a MUST then 720p might work for me in some cases. :)

if i like PC gaming enough maybe i'll upgrade down the line and get a rig such as yours.

kennah

haha. hopefully X51 will provide me with years of 1080p goodness. I'm just saying if 60fps is a MUST then 720p might work for me in some cases. :)

if i like PC gaming enough maybe i'll upgrade down the line and get a rig such as yours.

That's how it starts.

mkenyon

Banned
The SFF parts have been ordered, with a few minor variations from my previous post. The main difference is I went with the Fractal Design Node 304 case. The more I read up on the CM 120, the less pleased I was with the layout of the case. The power supply sits right above the CPU, which limits the coolers you can install. The Node puts the PSU at the front of the case, leaving plenty of room for the MB in the back.

I should get the parts around the middle of next week. I'll post some pics of the finished build.
You made the right choice!

So you know what that means, you gonna be playing games at PS1 graphics levels until you get SLI GPU's!

I think I would be disappointed if I had a higher refresh monitor but couldn't really take advantage of it. At least not without sacrificing great visuals.
I think you underestimate modern PC performance. It's really easy to get consistent >11.1ms frame times.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What happened to kharma? Hopefully a temp again..

JB, if I was feeding a TV that was either a native 720p panel or did a good job scaling a 720p signal, I'd have no qualms dropping my PC resolution to keep the settings high.

Anybody else read this?

AMD's focus for the start of this year has been on explaining the virtues of Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) and driving up gaming interest with the impressive Never Settle bundle, available for most mainstream and high-end Radeon cards.

With attention directed elsewhere, AMD's beleaguered FX processors have, it seems, been consigned to the ash heap of history. These chips do without the baked-in graphics present on APUs and, while perfectly reasonable in their own right, are overshadowed by Intel's third-generation Core 'Ivy Bridge' processors.

So how about this as a rumour for a Friday morning? Though AMD will never go on record and confirm this, we have it on good authority that the chip-maker will soon be releasing a super-FX chip. Based on the same 'Vishera' architecture powering the current FX-8350, which runs at up to 4.2GHz, this new FX, codenamed 'Centurion', is to be made available in very limited quantities.

This so-called Centurion is guaranteed to run at 5GHz, on air, though we don't know exactly what voltage or supporting hardware will be required for this lofty speed.

Here's the kicker; our sources indicate that this limited-edition chip is set to cost a whopping $795 - this is not a typo! Yup, back to the pricing of FX chips of old. Is there any way that you, the readers, can countenance such pricing for an architecture that's been in the doldrums of late? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/54057-rumour-amd-unleash-centurion-fx-5ghz/

Absolutely hilarious.

mojo2

Neo Member
Yep.

If you're really itching to upgrade - get a used 2500K or 2600K and a Z68 motherboard. Still a very competitive CPU that overclocks like a beast. Grab a 7850 for a video card and you'll be good to go for a little while. If you aren't in a rush you can find 2500ks for $150 or less.

Thanks, that sounds good. I'll keep an eye for cheap used and stay away from new gear at least until fall.

Smokey

Once you start gaming at 1080p and see what you've been missing you won't be going back to 720p. Then you'll want to try your hand at building your own and from there its a wrap.

720p should be burned and made extinct ala 640x480

kennah

Once you start gaming at 1080p and see what you've been missing you won't be going back to 720p. Then you'll want to try your hand at building your own and from there its a wrap.

720p should be burned and made extinct ala 640x480

My grandma still uses 640x480 on a 4:3 20" monitor.

She uses the Internet like the 60s vision of the future - she goes to a webpage, prints it and reads the printout.

Deadly

The cpu cooler probably came off (to some degree) if temps are that high when idle. So I'd advise you to remove it, apply new thermal paste (this is definitely needed if it came loose) and put it back properly.
I actually had a virus that used up all my cpu (WTF couldn't believe it. malwarebytes/MSE/spybot all came up empty too). I got rid of it manually instead. I'm at the regular ~50 degrees when idle with 340 FSB. I tried going back to 355 though but that's still a no-go, anything beyond 340 would crash at the windows screen. Would the problem still be cooler related ?

HoosTrax

Hard Reset seems rather well optimized actually. Although, I do find it suspicious that I'm getting frames that are either 150+ or it drops down to 72fps, but it's rarely in between and it's never lower than 72fps.

HoosTrax

Sounds like you have vsync enabled.
That was my suspicion as well, but it doesn't seem to be the case in either the options or the NV panel. This bears some investigating, I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Edit: like maybe installing the drivers that came with it...oops

Also, Unreal Tournament 3 seems to run pretty damn well at 1080p with everything maxed. Occasional drops to ~120fps but 144fps steady most of the time. Can't decide whether UE3 is just well optimized, or getting really long in the tooth (both I guess).

Did you enable 144Hz in the display properties?
yep

Arkage

Banned
SO I posted earlier about my ASRock Pro4 refusing to overclock my 3570K as well as having missing settings in the BIOS. It seems the culprit was upgrading my board to the 1.7 BIOS. I just bought a new board, same exact one except it's at BIOS 1.5, and all the settings are there allowing me to overclock. Do you guys think I should just stick with this old bios for the life of the MB as long as things work?

The newer versions say they provide:

1. Improve monitor compatibility.
2. Support UEFI PXE boot.
3. Update CPU code.
4. Improve discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility.
5. Auto detects PCIE link speed.
1. Improve memory compatibility.
2. Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup.

It seems like the "Update CPU code" could be what screwed things up. Any suggestions?

Mad Max

I actually had a virus that used up all my cpu (WTF couldn't believe it. malwarebytes/MSE/spybot all came up empty too). I got rid of it manually instead. I'm at the regular ~50 degrees when idle with 340 FSB. I tried going back to 355 though but that's still a no-go, anything beyond 340 would crash at the windows screen. Would the problem still be cooler related ?

I've heard of that before, good thing it didn't kill your cpu atleast. But your problem might still be cooler/temperature related since 50 degrees idle seems kind of high, even when you're using a stock cooler. So if you want to try and overclock further you might want to check/do: if the HS is still properly mounted on the cpu, what the Vcore is set at (try the stock setting first), try to clean up excess dust in your case if there is any and try to run the PC without the side panel to see if that has any effect.

Also when you mentioned that the overclock to 355mhz fsb ran fine earlier, do you mean that it was actually stable when running OCCT/prime95 for a few hours, or did it just work in regular use and gaming? Because it could very well be that it wasn't entirely stable earlier.

Arkage said:
SO I posted earlier about my ASRock Pro4 refusing to overclock my 3570K as well as having missing settings in the BIOS. It seems the culprit was upgrading my board to the 1.7 BIOS. I just bought a new board, same exact one except it's at BIOS 1.5, and all the settings are there allowing me to overclock. Do you guys think I should just stick with this old bios for the life of the MB as long as things work?

The newer versions say they provide:

1. Improve monitor compatibility.
2. Support UEFI PXE boot.
3. Update CPU code.
4. Improve discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility.
5. Auto detects PCIE link speed.
1. Improve memory compatibility.
2. Support Intel UEFI RAID configuration in BIOS setup.

It seems like the "Update CPU code" could be what screwed things up. Any suggestions?

As a rule of thumb: if you have no compatibility problems and you don't need any of the new features then you shouldn't ever update your bios, so if it works now I wouldn't update.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also, Unreal Tournament 3 seems to run pretty damn well at 1080p with everything maxed. Occasional drops to ~120fps but 144fps steady most of the time. Can't decide whether UE3 is just well optimized, or getting really long in the tooth (both I guess).

Another man aboard the Asus VG248QE train? :D

brentech

Alright. Got my old computer and monitor scheduled to go up on eBay on Sunday.
Monitor is packaged in it's original safe shipping box. The computer itself, I have the case box which is real solid, but I think I'll let UPS add some solid packing material to add to the foam that holds the case in place.

Excited to get it all out of my office.

Conan-san

So, hypothetically, let's say I was looking to build a PC to be a HTPC that, on top of running steam games (the fanciest being, probably, borderlands 2, not aiming for 60fps) could run Dolphin and PCSX2.

If I was planing to not go HD with the Wii/PS2 games and run them at native/420p, could I get away with the standard ($544) PC build?

scogoth

So, hypothetically, let's say I was looking to build a PC to be a HTPC that, on top of running steam games (the fanciest being, probably, borderlands 2, not aiming for 60fps) could run Dolphin and PCSX2.

If I was planing to not go HD with the Wii/PS2 games and run them at native/420p, could I get away with the standard ($544) PC build?

Go standard but spring for the 3570k and Z77. You want as much CPU power as possible for emulation.

RedSwirl

I'm still sitting on the build I put together around last November: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RedSwirl/saved/TIY

How much has changed since then? Are there any parts where prices have gone down significantly (or where I can get a better part for a similar price)? I'm trying to build an HTPC that would be ready for next gen games.

More importantly though, I'd still like to get a sense of how difficult it would be to install parts. Up until now I've installed GPUs, installed HDDs, installed PSUs, and wired them to every other part in a system. I assume installing things like RAM, disc drives, and cooling is similar right? The only thing I'm not clear on is installing a CPU.

kennah

I'm still sitting on the build I put together around last November: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RedSwirl/saved/TIY

How much has changed since then? Are there any parts where prices have gone down significantly (or where I can get a better part for a similar price)? I'm trying to build an HTPC that would be ready for next gen games.

More importantly though, I'd still like to get a sense of how difficult it would be to install parts. Up until now I've installed GPUs, installed HDDs, installed PSUs, and wired them to every other part in a system. I assume installing things like RAM, disc drives, and cooling is similar right? The only thing I'm not clear on is installing a CPU.

Lots actually. That Samsung RAM got popular and is next to impossible to find now. And the 830 has been discontinued and replaced by the 840 Pro. Other than that, it's fine.

RedSwirl

Lots actually. That Samsung RAM got popular and is next to impossible to find now. And the 830 has been discontinued and replaced by the 840 Pro. Other than that, it's fine.

So what should I replace them with? What about GPUs? Still around the same in price?

Also, are HDDs still generally shitty right now? I keep hearing about unreliability but isn't that just due to relatively recent manufacturing problems in Taiwan or something? I have two internal HDDs right now, one of them is around 6 years old and the other is maybe 3 or 4 years old, neither of which has gone out on me yet. My dad got a new computer a couple years ago however and had to replace its HDD a few months ago.

I just don't feel quite comfortable with the price per-storage of SDDs right now, at least not within my currently-proposed $1000 limit for this system. 128GB is kind of tight for today's PC games. One of the games I intend to install is Max Payne 3, which at 30GB would take up roughly a quarter of that SDD. Other games I intend to play include a few 20+GB titles.

At this point I'm probably going to use the SDD strictly for software and just use a 1TB external HDD (which I already have and is barely used) for all my content (videos, pictures, etc.). It'd still be nice if I could find great prices on 256GB SDDs though.

catmincer

Heard about this. It's uh... yeah.

That pricing means AMD may probably actually make money off of the silly/crazy people market, though.

If they start at 5Ghz and can be overclocked really well, that'd be pretty cool actually. I would never pay $800 for a CPU though.

tomei

iBUYPOWER Revolt Intel IvyBridge Core i7 4x 3.5GHz 120GB SSD + 1TB Gaming Computer

Price...$1,699.00

A desktop computer that dominates. With a powerful Intel® processor and high performance NVIDIA® GeForce® graphics, you're set to conquer the world. Monitor sold separately.

Model: AFS-R109XSLC

Operating System: Windows® 8 Home Premium

•Intel® IvyBridge Core™ i7-3770K 4x 3.5GHz processor
•Intel® B75 Chipset w/ USB 3.0, SATA-III supported
•16GB RAM
•120GB solid state disk (SSD) + 1TB hard drive
•NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX680 2GB dedicated card graphics
•Dual format/double layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW drive
•Asetek 550LC 120mm fan liquid CPU cooling system
•Realtek 8111E LAN (10/100/1000MBit)
•802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo
•2 USB 3.0 ports (front)
•SD card reader (front)
•2 USB 3.0 (back)
•4 USB 2.0 (back)
•HDMI™ port (back)
•5 audio ports
•2 expansion slots
•Realtek ALC892 8-channels audio
•Advanced lighting system (red, green, blue)
Includes:

•Deluxe keyboard
•Gaming mouse
•MB driver disc
•1-yr. parts and labor warranty
•Lifetime technical support
Color: White/Black

Power: 500-watt FSP 1U 80 Plus Gold certificated power supply

Size: 18 1/4"H x 9 1/2"W x 21 1/2"D

Is this a good price for this Revolt versus an Alienware X51? I am overseas right now so I don't want to build a computer and this is small enough to bring back home without too much trouble.

mkenyon

Banned
Is this a good price for this Revolt versus an Alienware X51? I am overseas right now so I don't want to build a computer and this is small enough to bring back home without too much trouble.
You want the Z77 chipset, not B75. It's *really* important.

wanders

Dont know if this is the place to ask but does anyone know if Ill get a huge improvement in PCSX2/Dolphin if I OC my Phenom 840 from 3.2Ghz to ~3.7Ghz.

Thanks in advance!

mkenyon

Banned
************PSA************

Lian Li PC-7HX for $79.99, free shipping, $59.99 after MIR

Promo code: EMCXSWV32

If you are in need of a case, and don't jump on this, you're insane.
MORE LIKE REVOLTING AM I RITE
They're actually really good deals. Better than the X51, and what I'd recommend to someone who absolutely cannot build their own PC.
Dont know if this is the place to ask but does anyone know if Ill get a huge improvement in PCSX2/Dolphin if I OC my Phenom 840 from 3.2Ghz to ~3.7Ghz.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about huge, but yes, there will be an improvement.

Aside from RAM, what's the main difference between all the different models of GTX 680s? Which one should I get?

Anyone? Would like to pull the trigger in the next hour so I can get it by Monday from Amazon. Sapphire, EVGA, XFX, etc. Should I care? Or just go with whatever's cheapest?

Anyone? Would like to pull the trigger in the next hour so I can get it by Monday from Amazon. Sapphire, EVGA, XFX, etc. Should I care? Or just go with whatever's cheapest?

Different warranties, factory over clocked vs stock speeds, stock cooler vs custom cooler, different adapters for some. I'm probably missing something, but that's most of it.

mkenyon

Banned
Pretty much the cooler. It determines temperature and noise levels.
So what should I replace them with? What about GPUs? Still around the same in price?

Also, are HDDs still generally shitty right now? I keep hearing about unreliability but isn't that just due to relatively recent manufacturing problems in Taiwan or something? I have two internal HDDs right now, one of them is around 6 years old and the other is maybe 3 or 4 years old, neither of which has gone out on me yet. My dad got a new computer a couple years ago however and had to replace its HDD a few months ago.

I just don't feel quite comfortable with the price per-storage of SDDs right now, at least not within my currently-proposed $1000 limit for this system. 128GB is kind of tight for today's PC games. One of the games I intend to install is Max Payne 3, which at 30GB would take up roughly a quarter of that SDD. Other games I intend to play include a few 20+GB titles.

At this point I'm probably going to use the SDD strictly for software and just use a 1TB external HDD (which I already have and is barely used) for all my content (videos, pictures, etc.). It'd still be nice if I could find great prices on 256GB SDDs though.
The OP is still up to date.

Bleeether

Do you care at all about noise, temperatures, overclock ... ect? If you do then i would suggest investing a little more time on some research before you drop 500 bucks.

Man, do I ever hate Windows Homegroup.
Supposed to make sharing over computers with specific users simple....yeah, sure.

It really sucks. I recently took a Comptia A+ class and got to work with Windows XP virtual machines. File sharing was much better with XP. Making shit easier for the masses makes it harder for IT people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom