• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That sounds great, do you have any pics of your PC innards? I'd love to see what it looks like.

I have early pics but am waiting on the rest of the parts when more funds come up aka income tax return :p

I've posted early pics of the build in crappy Vita cam shots. Here is a pic of the Corsair 500R which fits the SP120 fans plus the design is basically made for closed loop water coolers. Basically I'm saying you can do push/pull with this case.

2013-01-26-124757y4i5b.jpg

After you put back the top mesh

2013-01-26-162237bekzw.jpg

When I get it all together and running, I will be taking some final caps as I will have some wire management to do.

Koroviev

How do you guys feel about the G600 Logitech mouse and the k310 washable keyboard? Asking for my friend.

And is it worth it to go from a wireless Logitech mouse to the Xornet? I haven't had a wired mouse in years. (Asking for myself, lol.)

We're having a field day in Frys right now :D

Edit: And if I do go with the Xornet, should I get a wired keyboard as well?

No 840 Pro or M4...what to do? <:T

Also considering a mechanical keyboard to go with the mouse...

Pandemic

Guess I'll give this a go, just to get an idea of what I'm looking at..
Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs:
- WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 1000.2GB (WD stands for Western Digital Corporation)
Total - 953865 MB, Free - 524237 MB;
- RAM : 4096 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 400.8 MHz (1:2) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 2048MB (6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Team Group Inc.
Slot 2 : 2048MB (6400)
- Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 512 Mb
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA78G-DS3HP
- Not sure the name of the PSU but it's only 500W
- Case: Thermaltake (not sure the specifics, sorry)

Budget: $2000-$2500

Main Use: Gaming, General Usage, work (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Monitor Resolution: Uh, not sure.. 1080p I guess...? I have a pretty crap monitor at the moment, it's a.. ViewSonic 24 inch monitor, pretty old, guess I could do with a new one, but still works perfectly. New monitor could be added on top of the $2000-$2500 if I were to upgrade.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Anything that will run the latest games on high/ultra settings and will last me for a few years (probably asking for to much, but then again I know nothing about computers)

Looking to reuse any parts?: Doubt any of my current PC specs are worth keeping.

When will you build?: Whenever is fine. I'll also probably get someone to build it for me since I'm terrible at using computers, let alone building one.

Will you be overclocking?: Uh.. Not sure if I've ever overclocked this current PC, so I don't know.

P.S. Hopefully these responses are adequate, I know nothing about computers so details are probably scarce. Appreciate any help.

Smokey

Saw this while at OC.net:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-titan-gtx-780-performance-surpasses-gtx-690/

New details of the GeForce Titan have been revealed by RedQuasar forums. The very first information is that the GeForce Titan is not a GeForce 700 series product as some sites earlier speculated that it could be the GTX 780, a part of the Kepler refresh. However according to the leaked info, that is to be deemed false. The new card would just be known as GeForce Titan. The information suggests that the actual GeForce 700 series cards won&#8217;t be out till June 2013 giving AMD an headstart with their Sea Islands HD 8000 lineup in Q2 2013.

However the most interesting thing about the leak is this next piece of information which suggests that the Titan would end up with the performance level surpassing the dual core GeForce GTX 690. We know this much that any GPU featuring the GK110 would indeed be faster than the GTX 680 but better performance than the GTX 690 (if true) is seriously mind-boggling. In another leak, PHK from Expreview has leaked details showing that GeForce Titan has a PCB similar to GTX 680 but with a beefed up memory area which can confirm 6 GB 384-bit on the card itself and tells that the card has been listed in Hong Kong with arrival slated at then end of February.

mmmmm

Koroviev

Ended up getting the Xornet + the CM Quickfire Pro for $100.

As for my friend, she went with this:

32GB low-profile RAM
x79 Sabertooth mobo
GTX 680 TF w/ 2GB VRAM
Intel Cherry SSD (240GB)
CM HAF 912
CM Quickfire Pro
Corsair AX850W
Hyper 212 Evo
Dual Corsair SP120 fans

... All of this for $2388, so it's under budget! :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Use 2 of those SP120's on that Hyper 212 for push/pull or if it's the dual heatsink then push/pull/pull. They make great case fans of course.

That's a solid build.

scogoth

We should definitely check me together on a ti e to so it again. Maybe after Haswell and titan launches. Could create a new thread and label it 2013 edition or something.
I'm reallllllllllly drunk right now but love you smokey. Also love the rest of PC GAF, you guys are awesome.

iavi

I have early pics but am waiting on the rest of the parts when more funds come up aka income tax return :p

I've posted early pics of the build in crappy Vita cam shots. Here is a pic of the Corsair 500R which fits the SP120 fans plus the design is basically made for closed loop water coolers. Basically I'm saying you can do push/pull with this case.

2013-01-26-124757y4i5b.jpg

After you put back the top mesh

2013-01-26-162237bekzw.jpg

When I get it all together and running, I will be taking some final caps as I will have some wire management to do.

Is there a reason you have the SPs positioned for intake at the top? Heat rises.

I have to AF120s--quiet editions at the top of my 550d too. Set for exhaust. I'm also getting an AF140quiet for the top/rear exhaust, and an SP120performance for the hyper 212 evo. I've removed the drive bays and taped my ssd behind the motherboard tray, so the two performance edition AF12os at the front for intake face absolutely no obstruction.

metalshade

Well, just splurged on a KBT pure, really excited to try it out, after my disappointing
experience with the razer nostromo.
Should go well with my Logitech G700.
Why isn't that in the OP by the way? Really great mouse, so many buttons, and not too expensive.
Sorry about my earlier post asking about keyboards, I forgot to mention that I had already read the OP, and none of the keyboards seemed to suit, but I hope I made a good choice with the pure.
Anyone here with experience? (I ask now it's too late.)

NoRéN

Is there a reason you have the SPs positioned for intake at the top? Heat rises.

I have to AF120s--quiet editions at the top of my 550d too. Set for exhaust. I'm also getting an AF140quiet for the top/rear exhaust, and an SP120performance for the hyper 212 evo. I've removed the drive bays and taped my ssd behind the motherboard tray, so the two performance edition AF12os at the front for intake face absolutely no obstruction.

Well fuck. Pics please.

iavi

NoRéN;47118703 said:
Well fuck. Pics please.

Haha, no pics just yet. I want to have it all finished up with the final touches and such before I start snapping. I'm grabbing the final pieces at Fry's this weekend, though. So, its soon finished. Like really soon. I cannot wait at all.

Feels good to be building again. All of that I listed was just me being impatient and arranging what I could. It paid off in the end, though, as I quickly learned what I'd need in the way of extensions/splitters/etc.

I also realized how annoying the orange accents on the bio star Xe3 are

Edit: I lied. hype is getting the best of me.

Excuse the shitty shots. This Galaxy nexus doesn't do so good with good lighting, it definitely doesn't do well in bad lol. I'm debating on whether or not to get an af120quiet for bottom intake. It'd be right there at the first grid from the right, right under where all the cords are showing atm,

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, just splurged on a KBT pure, really excited to try it out, after my disappointing
experience with the razer nostromo.
Should go well with my Logitech G700.
Why isn't that in the OP by the way? Really great mouse, so many buttons, and not too expensive.
Sorry about my earlier post asking about keyboards, I forgot to mention that I had already read the OP, and none of the keyboards seemed to suit, but I hope I made a good choice with the pure.
Anyone here with experience? (I ask now it's too late.)
G700 has the Avago S9500 sensor, but it's wireless which means auto disqualification for gaming (j/k).
It's just we had to trim down at the time. I want to add the G500/G9x. Might fit in the G700.
I'm using a CM SPAWN now and the main thing I dislike is the non adjustable DPI (sans 800/x/y) coming from my G9. The Sensei just cramped my hands. Spawn is real comfy. Major drawback on the Spawn is the liftoff distance on a black surface is huge. Luckily you can just tape half the sensor and it's flawless!

Gonna be a bit more 'everyday practicality and people like these' section for the mice, and the more serious ones that have great sensors (CM Storm Spawn - Avago ADNS-3090 + Steelseries Sensei - Avago ADNS-A9500 [In addition to the customizable software])

KBT Pure wasn't added since we have another one on there already. Remember it's just a guide, not a bible :)

Koroviev

G700 has the Avago S9500 sensor, but it's wireless which means auto disqualification for gaming (j/k).
It's just we had to trim down at the time. I want to add the G500/G9x. Might fit in the G700.
I'm using a CM SPAWN now and the main thing I dislike is the non adjustable DPI (sans 800/x/y) coming from my G9. The Sensei just cramped my hands. Spawn is real comfy. Major drawback on the Spawn is the liftoff distance on a black surface is huge. Luckily you can just tape half the sensor and it's flawless!

Gonna be a bit more 'everyday practicality and people like these' section for the mice, and the more serious ones that have great sensors (CM Storm Spawn - Avago ADNS-3090 + Steelseries Sensei - Avago ADNS-A9500 [In addition to the customizable software])

KBT Pure wasn't added since we have another one on there already. Remember it's just a guide, not a bible :)

I just picked up the Xornet for $20 and it's quite nice! :)

metalshade

I am fairly new to pc gaming so I had to dial my DPI down to 1500 for the time being, otherwise I just look like I am flailing around like a hyperspeed drunk.
The textured surface made my palm sore for a few days though.
I hope the pure is a good choice, but if not, it looks freaking cool.
May not be a bible, but your'e my hero, I wouldn't have been able to build my rig without this thread.

delete your .ini files or whatever it is that stores your preferences/settings ; that way the game should boot up with default settings which might help

else move your savegames someplace else and reinstall the game from scratch?

I tried that but it didn't help, also, both files are recreated after the crash.

How do you uninstall and reinstall a Steam game from scratch besides deleting the local game files from the steam settings and then re-downlaoding it (because I already did that) ?

I had this problem, i followed the steps from the last post here and it fixed it. Hope it helps!

What steps ?

SLV

Can someone give me some advice about routers and media servers ?

I am thinking of buying a new router, one with media server capabilities so i can stream videos, to my Ps 3, and smartphone. Now the main questions is, is the Asus RT-N66U, good for it ? Does it work with files bigger than 4 gb, and will it play MKV's on the PS 3, like PS 3 media server can(but i already guess it cant transcode or anything) ? A setup like this would really cut back on my electricity bill. (It is expensive where i am from). Thanks !

I tried googling around, but didn't get a thing, it supports MKV media playback but i guess only if the device supports it natively ? Can anyone chime in on this ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am fairly new to pc gaming so I had to dial my DPI down to 1500 for the time being, otherwise I just look like I am flailing around like a hyperspeed drunk.
The textured surface made my palm sore for a few days though.
I hope the pure is a good choice, but if not, it looks freaking cool.
May not be a bible, but your'e my hero, I wouldn't have been able to build my rig without this thread.
Most people use under 1000DPI.
Can someone give me some advice about routers and media servers ?

I am thinking of buying a new router, one with media server capabilities so i can stream videos, to my Ps 3, and smartphone. Now the main questions is, is the Asus RT-N66U, good for it ? Does it work with files bigger than 4 gb, and will it play MKV's on the PS 3, like PS 3 media server can(but i already guess it cant transcode or anything) ? A setup like this would really cut back on my electricity bill. (It is expensive where i am from). Thanks !

I tried googling around, but didn't get a thing, it supports MKV media playback but i guess only if the device supports it natively ? Can anyone chime in on this ?
Would the ASUS RT-N16 fit your needs at a cheaper price point? Just make sure you flash Tomato firmware on it. Really easy to do. It's what we use at the office and off of good recommendations I have gotten.

kharma45

Says it won't run at all without real DirectX 11 features. There are people who downloaded the beta and just can't run it.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Crysis-3/Can-you-please-add-Direct-X-10-support-for-Crysis-3/td-p/267244

Ah that's a bummer, didn't know they were forcing DX11. Still, most GPUs from 2009 onwards can do DX11.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE2-GP 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.53 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($147.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Apevia 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $415.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 21:19 EST-0500)

how dose this look rounded out with a i3 2100 (already have thanks to a friend)

Planning to Add Haswell or Current Gen i5 later in the year with 4 more gigs of ram. Just really need the opinion

Haswell won't be an option if you're buying now as they're changing the socket for the CPU, you'll be limited to either a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge 1155 CPU.

I would urge you to change the PSU, don't buy a cheap one as it could fry your system.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IZN3K2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is as cheap as you can go without getting crap quality really. I'd look at your GPU too, get a 7850 (even if it is only the 1GB version) over the 6850, it's not all that much more money and you'll see a good performance jump http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=539

gents i think im ready to uprage my pc to the next level. these are my current specs. any suggestions on what i should upgrade? my budget is about 600 bucks.

Intel Core i5-3450
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Cosair Vengence DDR3 1600MhZ 8gb Kit
1TB HDD
Sapphire HD7870
FSP 600W PSU

Go with the 8GB Samsung RAM

Ended up editing a few things per gaffer suggestions here.

I'm thinking this is the lowest cost i will be getting unless anyone else has suggestions? Main use is gaming, would like to be able to play most games on high - max settings (games like dead space 3, diablo 3, starcraft 3, possibly crysis 3, and eventually maybe pc games i've missed over there years.. )

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.21 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) ($162.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $1400.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 21:53 EST-0500)

Some people have noted the power supply is overkill, but i would like the ability to easily upgrade if necessary... not sure if it's still overkill or not.

When you say upgrade with regards to your PSU, do you mean an additional GPU for SLI or a new one altogether? If it's a second one to SLI then it's not overkill but if you're just changing it out for another single GPU (say the 770 when it comes out) then a quality 550w would suffice perfectly well like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SLV

Would the ASUS RT-N16 fit your needs at a cheaper price point? Just make sure you flash Tomato firmware on it. Really easy to do. It's what we use at the office and off of good recommendations I have gotten.

Well the main reason is for PS 3 media streaming, as i want to be sure that mkv works, i use my PS 3 for these reasons every evening. PS 3 media player has gotten really shitty in the last months, out of sync, jumping all over, and the stupid Animu community is not doing it any favours, 10 bit this other shit just for the sake of it that.

I installed the second HDD, I think I'm done now for the next year or so. Redid some of the cabeling, but it bothers me that I have like 4 different sata cables.

But all in all I'm extremely happy with it. The last time I built a PC was years ago, and clean cabeling like this was almost impossible.

img_11107tula.jpg

SLV

I installed the second HDD, I think I'm done now for the next year or so. Redid some of the cabeling, but it bothers me that I have like 4 different sata cables.

But all in all I'm extremely happy with it. The last time I built a PC was years ago, and clean cabeling like this was almost impossible.

img_11107tula.jpg

Dude, is that some big deformation i see on the graphics card ? You should probably support it somehow so it is more parallel to the PCI-E port, i know i am having issues from time to time because mine was hanging down like that and fucked the connector a bit ! Just saying.

Dude, is that some big deformation i see on the graphics card ? You should probably support it somehow so it is more parallel to the PCI-E port, i know i am having issues from time to time because mine was hanging down like that and fucked the connector a bit ! Just saying.

It is hanging down a bit yeah. But how should I support it?

kharma45

img_11107tula.jpg

Be Quiet! PSU a good job? Got one waiting for me when I get home for my build, they seemed to review well at least.

n0n44m

Ended up getting the Xornet + the CM Quickfire Pro for $100.

As for my friend, she went with this:

32GB low-profile RAM
x79 Sabertooth mobo
GTX 680 TF w/ 2GB VRAM
Intel Cherry SSD (240GB)
CM HAF 912
CM Quickfire Pro
Corsair AX850W
Hyper 212 Evo
Dual Corsair SP120 fans

... All of this for $2388, so it's under budget! :D

are you sure about the ram ? the X79 uses triple channel ram so you want either 3 or 6 sticks AFAIK , I can't divide 32 by 3 or 6 ... scratch that, it's quad channel

(also I'd have gotten 512 GB SSD and downgrade to a 670 ... got two 256GB Samsung 830 in RAID-0 myself, sooooo fast)

Wow, beautiful organization.

Was that difficult?

of course not, it's an R4 :p

It is hanging down a bit yeah. But how should I support it?

looking good!

the hanging card isn't an issue, just make sure you don't transport the case standing upright in your car or something. No reason to support it otherwise

SLV

the hanging card isn't an issue, just make sure you don't transport the case standing upright in your car or something. No reason to support it otherwise

I wouldn't be so sure about that, i started to run in some issues, after mine hanged like that for a while, although it probably has the heaviest cooler of them all.

So i guess no one has used a Asus RT-N66U router with PS 3 to stream media ? Dont wanna bite on it, without having a confirmation, internet is silent on this issue, particularly MKV playback.

n0n44m

I wouldn't be so sure about that, i started to run in some issues, after mine hanged like that for a while, although it probably has the heaviest cooler of them all.

then you should have RMA'd it, because any card should be able to fit in a chassis only supported by the I/O slot and the motherboard PCI-E slot without collapsing under its own weight to the point of causing issues

especially considering your card has a backplate, which should give it some more rigidity

(what issues did you have?)

my cards ran for 2 months like that before I got waterblocks on them, and my GTX480 + Accelero before was even more bendy !

----

what do you mean with streaming media exactly ? because I suppose the media is stored on one location (NAS, PC) then streamed to the PS3 directly or via a transcoding program ? I'm not sure how the router/switch influences that?

edit : also there's this for sagging graphics cards :D http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/pc-accessory/ninja-wire.html

SLV

then you should have RMA'd it, because any card should be able to fit in a chassis only supported by the I/O slot and the motherboard PCI-E slot without collapsing under its own weight to the point of causing issues

especially considering your card has a backplate, which should give it some more rigidity

(what issues did you have?)

my cards ran for 2 months like that before I got waterblocks on them, and my GTX480 + Accelero before was even more bendy !

----

what do you mean with streaming media exactly ? because I suppose the media is stored on one location (NAS, PC) then streamed to the PS3 directly or via a transcoding program ? I'm not sure how the router/switch influences that?

Well at some points, if there was a small tremor, the screen would black out, upon supporting the card back to a more parallel position it would be fine. Something along these lines.

And with streaming i mean that the router can stream media in DNLA, straight from the rooter with an attached external HDD/flash drive, so i am wondering if i try to play MKV files, will they work on the PS 3, because i doubt it does any kind of transcoding. As that is the main point i want from the media streaming capabilities. Internet is silent on this question. So basically i want to be able to stream straight from the rooter to cut back down
on the electricity bill. As it gets quite costly, and being able to just switch the PC off would be awesome. PS 3 media player has started to suck lately anyway, out of sync, jumps ahead etc.

Looks like a good solution to me !

n0n44m

I'm pretty much 100% sure it won't do transcoding in a useful way;

most routers have really flimsy CPUs in them , and their throughput speeds with external HDDs attached are also really low compared to a proper NAS

aren't you better of by processing the MKV files with handbrake on your pc, then putting them on the HDD attached to the router ?

SLV

I'm pretty much 100% sure it won't do transcoding in a useful way;

most routers have really flimsy CPUs in them , and their throughput speeds with external HDDs attached are also really low compared to a proper NAS

aren't you better of by processing the MKV files with handbrake on your pc, then putting them on the HDD attached to the router ?

Well probably, mp4 should be fine as far as i know for the PS 3 right ? Just a needless extra step to take, a shame that PS 3 media server has gotten so shitty.

jett

D-Member
How long do you peeps think a 3570k+7950 might last? I already see that friggin Crysis 3 eats up over 2GB of VRAM maxxed out, and that's not even a "next-gen" game. I'm thinking of getting a new PC but I don't want to spend $1000 on something that will be giving me problems a year or two from now.

Quoting myself from the Steam thread hoping someone here can help.

Update in case anyone else was having the same issue.

I found the solution on http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1132087 and following the steps and it worked.

Worth noting that after running the game and changing the graphics settings I disabled running the game in Visa compatibility mode and the game still works, so its possible for some that only enabling the sound mixer is enough.

Nakazato

Haswell won't be an option if you're buying now as they're changing the socket for the CPU, you'll be limited to either a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge 1155 CPU.

I would urge you to change the PSU, don't buy a cheap one as it could fry your system.

This is as cheap as you can go without getting crap quality really. I'd look at your GPU too, get a 7850 (even if it is only the 1GB version) over the 6850, it's not all that much more money and you'll see a good performance jump http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=539

Thanks for the response. I may just wait off to see is haswell mobos are going to be compatible with sandy and ivy chips. And ill change both the psu and the gpu. Thanks for the help

Bluforce

After 5 years of Mac, I decided to build a new PC. A Linux Ubuntu PC.

CPU AMD A8-5600k with HD7560D
MoBo AsRock FM2A75-PRO4
RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1866 Mhz 8GB (2x4GB)
HDD Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB 7200rpm
PSU XFX Proseries 450 Watt

300&#8364;

Koroviev

are you sure about the ram ? the X79 uses triple channel ram so you want either 3 or 6 sticks AFAIK , I can't divide 32 by 3 or 6 ...

(also I'd have gotten 512 GB SSD and downgrade to a 670 ... got two 256GB Samsung 830 in RAID-0 myself, sooooo fast)

I had to talk her into getting any SSD at all! Her dad was a little disappointed with the 240GB. And I attempted to get the 840 Pro, the M4, and the Neutron GTX...Frys was fresh out of all of them! But the Intel comes with a 5-year warranty, so I think she's safe.

And I suggested 24GB, but it is her computer, not mine, lol.

Typing on a mechanical keyboard feels so much better than typing on the membrane kind!

bro1

Banned
I need to install a new cooler for my CPU. I know the 212 is considered the best bang for the buck. I have two questions and concerns:

How hard is it to install with the mobo in the case? I have a Corsair case with the mobo tray cut out.

Is there an easier cooler to install? My case isn't huge. It's the R300 and I'm considering getting one of Corsair's all in one water cooler to cut down on the noise.

n0n44m

I had to talk her into getting any SSD at all! Her dad was a little disappointed with the 240GB. And I attempted to get the 840 Pro, the M4, and the Neutron GTX...Frys was fresh out of all of them! But the Intel comes with a 5-year warranty, so I think she's safe.

And I suggested 24GB, but it is her computer, not mine, lol.

Typing on a mechanical keyboard feels so much better than typing on the membrane kind!

just realized it's quad channel, so 32 is fine (assuming it's four times 8GB or 8 times 4GB)

Intel have good SSDs , still have my trusty old 80GB from 2009 taped to the back of the motherboard tray for unzipping downloads :p

it's just that Samsung, Micron etc have the same or better performance at much lower pricepoints ; Intel seem to be more focused on the professional market these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom