• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Race your PC thread is kind of dead anyways cause people only bench like once a year. We could have it be bench/pics thread

We should definitely check me together on a ti e to so it again. Maybe after Haswell and titan launches. Could create a new thread and label it 2013 edition or something.

jsrv

Don't think this was posted here yet, GPU for Crysis 3:
Ijl.jpg

Crysis 3 will probably be the most demanding game for a while right?

Xdrive05

Ijl.jpg

I can vouch for the 660 TI settings giving 50-60 fps in the beta, and IMO it looks the same as the very high settings in motion. Same card on very high runs it at about 30-40 fps.

bro1

Banned
Ijl.jpg

Now I wish I still had my 660's in SLi instead of the 670. I wonder what the trade off's are for each setting?

Anybody here using the GeForce Optimizer? How does it work with Steam?

kharma45

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ausm

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.00 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1251.89

Swap your PSU to something a bit more solid if you can, how much more could you afford to spend on it?

thinking about building a new pc from scratch. Budget is around 1200. Going to be used mainly for gaming. thoughts???

Ijl.jpg

Pity there isn't a resolution or frame rate attached to that.

Mononoke

Banned
I kind of regret getting that 2560x1080 Dell monitor. I actually like the extra width. On certain games (like Sleeping Dogs an Battlefield 3), it's just incredible. I also didn't mind losing some of the vertical height, because of how my room is set up, the 2560x1440 monitor was TOO big height wise. It was giving me headaches (the distance I had to sit away from the monitor).

The reason I reget it is: I. not every game supports this ratio (learning the woes of WSG). II. I thought the 1440 had a better benefit to the resolution bump than 2560x1080.

I don't know if I could ever go back to a lower resolution than what I have now. I feel like any monitor at 27 inches or higher at 1080, just looks meh (to me). But at the same time, kind of interested in trying out a 120hz monitor.

Mulligan

Banned
are your CPU temperatures OK ? Is the CPU clockspeed what it should be?

maybe you should run memtest 86+ , and look at the SMART status of your HDD/SSD in AIDA64

Windows itself never crashes?

Temps are 35-40C each core under load, clock speed is at 3.4MHz as i clocked it back down incase overclocking was the problem. I don't know what i'm looking for in the SMART status but ever status check either says 'OK:always passes' or 'OK:value is normal'. Havn't had any crashes thus far.

Argh, this is annoying me now.

Draft

I kind of regret getting that 2560x1080 Dell monitor. I actually like the extra width. On certain games (like Sleeping Dogs an Battlefield 3), it's just incredible. I also didn't mind losing some of the vertical height, because of how my room is set up, the 2560x1440 monitor was TOO big height wise. It was giving me headaches (the distance I had to sit away from the monitor).

The reason I reget it is: I. not every game supports this ratio (learning the woes of WSG). I thought the 1440 had a better benefit to the resolution bump than 2560x1080.

I don't know if I could ever go back to a lower resolution than what I have now. I feel like any monitor at 27 inches or higher at 1080, just looks meh (to me). But at the same time, kind of interested in trying out a 120hz monitor.
I have a 27" 1080p monitor and it's not good. Too much screen space and not enough pixels. I think 24" is the biggest monitor on which 1080p can look good.

Smokey

Ijl.jpg

580 sli at 2560x1600 everything very high and with 2x MSAA I get about 35-40ish fps. With EVERYTHING at very high including 8x MSAA I get around 25 fps.

Dropping to high though and one of the lower MSAA levels gives me constant fps in the 50-60 range.

And I'm pretty sure ultra will be in the final release.

Momentary

Banned
No 120hz 1440p monitors on the horizon. It sucks.

The AX850 and AX860 are both rebadged Seasonics. The i version of any of the AX PSUs are NOT though. I'm 99.9% positive the cables from the 850 will work with the 860. I'd shoot corsair an email to be 100% sure though.

Yeah, single 480 would be enough for that, depending on the 480 and fans being used. A second Titan would require additional cooling though.

Well I'm looking at 480 on bottom and 360 at the top now. What kind of loop do they have going on at the promo page? Is it one pump with 2 reservoirs? Because that's basically what I want to have.

If you are planning on going with a single Titan, then you are really buying too much case with the 900D. There's a lot of cases out there which will hold enough rad space for that kind of setup.

Nope. Watts dissipated are watts dissipated are watts dissipated. Water moves so quickly through the loop that the water temperature remains nearly constant throughout the entire thing. Even if you went through 2 GPUs before your CPU, you are looking at ~1C difference on the CPU than if it were first instead.

I'm 100% sure on getting 2 Titans. I would get 3 if it would really benefit in games. From what I've seen and have been told, tri-sli really doesn't do much other than raise benchmark numbers.

n0n44m

Temps are 35-40C each core under load, clock speed is at 3.4MHz as i clocked it back down incase overclocking was the problem. I don't know what i'm looking for in the SMART status but ever status check either says 'OK:always passes' or 'OK:value is normal'. Havn't had any crashes thus far.

Argh, this is annoying me now.

so only games / 3D applications crash ? what kind of errors do they give when they do ?

can you finish a full benchmark run of Heaven 3.0 ?

temperatures on the GPU are OK ? (~80c max)

bro1

Banned
I have a 27" 1080p monitor and it's not good. Too much screen space and not enough pixels. I think 24" is the biggest monitor on which 1080p can look good.

I'm in the same boat since I sit too close. I hooked up my PC to my 55" LED set this weekend and I loved it. Wish I could do this all the time.

What's the difference between a 120hz monitor and a 240hz TV? I have a LG LED with local dimming that is suppose to be 240hz.....

n0n44m

Well I'm looking at 480 on bottom and 360 at the top now. What kind of loop do they have going on at the promo page? Is it one pump with 2 reservoirs? Because that's basically what I want to have.

I'm 100% sure on getting 2 Titans. I would get 3 if it would really benefit in games. From what I've seen and have been told, tri-sli really doesn't do much other than raise benchmark numbers.

that's 2 pumps I believe (next to each other, which is why the second is hard to see)

2 reservoirs in one loop doesn't make sense, one would probably be filled up completely. The only purpose for a reservoir is easy de-airation , and two reservoirs only makes things more complicated ...

I really suggest avoiding the CM 120 for a SFF case in anything but really basic budget builds. The case is just not designed well enough for good airflow and will run loud.

I need to pull that Gigabyte board out of there and replace it with the MSI or ASRock model as well. The Gigabyte board has an odd OC system where it is maxed out at 4.2GHz and you do not get voltage control. So swap it out for one of those, preferably the MSI.

Ivy is the last processor on 1155. When time comes up upgrade CPU, motherboard will need to be upgraded to, but that's been the way of things for 6+ years.

A lot of the cases I find are a bit too tall for my liking (Silverstone and Prodigy cases you linked to for an example). I've been trying to find a good case with good airflow that is wide rather than tall. If I could take a tower and just throw it on its side, I'd be happy (but I assume that isn't a very good idea).

But I guess the Lian Li PC-Q08 and Silverstone SG-07/08 would be good cases for above-budget builds?

Momentary

Banned
that's 2 pumps I believe (next to each other, which is why the second is hard to see)

2 reservoirs in one loop doesn't make sense, one would probably be filled up completely. The only purpose for a reservoir is easy de-airation , and two reservoirs only makes things more complicated ...

Well I'm also looking at this build at an aesthetic point of view. If I were to use 2 pumps and 2 reservoirs I could have 2 completely separate loops for the CPU (also maybe ram and motherboard cooling) and GPU. It would definitely fill the case nicely. I know it's not going to make a difference other than how everything looks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CM Storm Spawn hath arrived

2013-01-30-153941g3jh9.jpg

2013-01-30-153958jek9a.jpg

Still messing around with it but scrolling is very smooth with this thing. My hands and eyes have to readjust to the precision this thing offers.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1411.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 20:15 EST-0500)
So I'm putting my new PC together and I'm confused about the HD audio connection from my case. My parts are above. Some of the pin labels do not match up according to both manuals, although it will fit into the port.

These are the differences when compared (case connection on left, motherboard right):
-Pin 4: PRESENCE# vs -ACZ_DET
-Pin 6: SENSE1_RETURN vs GND
-Pin 7: SENSE_SEND vs FAUDIO_JD
-Pin 10: SENSE2_RETURN vs GND

The manual says specifically to compare and ensure consistency. All other pins have similar labels except for these. There is also an AC'97 connection, but there are a few labels inconsistent there too. Help me, PC gaf!

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah agreed. What sucks is, it's hard going back to a regular monitor when you've done extra widescreen, because then games looks so square and unnatural. I was looking at some 1440p Korean made monitors, and it's crazy how much a difference width makes.

Mulligan

Banned
so only games / 3D applications crash ? what kind of errors do they give when they do ?

can you finish a full benchmark run of Heaven 3.0 ?

temperatures on the GPU are OK ? (~80c max)

Games seem to be booting up okay now but they're still running poorly. Temps on GPU are fine, 30c idle and 60c under load.

Heaven 3.0 benchmark results:

21:16:31 Time: 259.707
21:16:31 Frames: 9252
21:16:31 FPS: 35.6248
21:16:31 Min FPS: 9.6269
21:16:31 Max FPS: 78.9094
21:16:31 Scores: 897.388

My specs are: HIS 7970 OC
I5 3570K
16GB RAM

n0n44m

Well I'm also looking at this build at an aesthetic point of view. If I were to use 2 pumps and 2 reservoirs I could have 2 completely separate loops for the CPU (also maybe ram and motherboard cooling) and GPU. It would definitely fill the case nicely. I know it's not going to make a difference other than how everything looks.

2 pumps give you more flow and redundancy as well ... hell got two myself :)

just get a nice big reservoir and a nice housing for those pumps and it'll look perfect I'm sure

Games seem to be booting up okay now but they're still running poorly. Temps on GPU are fine, 30c idle and 60c under load.

Heaven 3.0 benchmark results:

21:16:31 Time: 259.707
21:16:31 Frames: 9252
21:16:31 FPS: 35.6248
21:16:31 Min FPS: 9.6269
21:16:31 Max FPS: 78.9094
21:16:31 Scores: 897.388

My specs are: HIS 7970 OC
I5 3570K
16GB RAM

if that's 1080p with max settings (extreme tesselation etc), you should get around 45~50 fps average on a 1050 MHz 7970

is the PCI-E bus ("Bus Interface") running at full speed (16x PCI-E 3.0) ? you can check by running GPU-Z while running Heaven windowed

also, GPU usage should be pretty much constantly 99%~100% when running Heaven !

Shambles

Ijl.jpg

Motion blur, lens flare, post-processing...

Guess I'll be saving myself some fps by being able to turn off this visual vomit :)

Mulligan

Banned
2 pumps give you more flow and redundancy as well ... hell got two myself :)

just get a nice big reservoir and a nice housing for those pumps and it'll look perfect I'm sure

if that's 1080p with max settings (extreme tesselation etc), you should get around 45~50 fps average on a 1050 MHz 7970

is the PCI-E bus ("Bus Interface") running at full speed (16x PCI-E 3.0) ? you can check by running GPU-Z while running Heaven windowed

also, GPU usage should be pretty much constantly 99%~100% when running Heaven !

Settings were:

Tesselation: Normal
Shaders: High
Anisotropy: 4x
AA: 4x
Resolution: 1920x1200

Bus Interface reads 'PCI-E 3.0x16@16 2.0' and all my games seem to be pushing the GPU to 100% according to afterburner.

mkenyon

Banned
Rayge is going to reignite an arms race in here

Too bad sk3tch fell in love and has abandoned the thread :(
So true. It's already too late. I'm in the process of designing my own case for fabrication at the moment. Someone please help me with my problem.

WIP, few things to refine and add:

pXeae5b.png

Only 16.5" high, so it's actually a bit shorter than a lot of mid towers, to give you an idea.
You can use two pumps, lots of dual pump tops out there. There's also a VERY VERY fine line between filled nicely and cluttered. Always try to minimize, IMO. I really suggest avoiding dual loops.
A lot of the cases I find are a bit too tall for my liking (Silverstone and Prodigy cases you linked to for an example). I've been trying to find a good case with good airflow that is wide rather than tall. If I could take a tower and just throw it on its side, I'd be happy (but I assume that isn't a very good idea).

But I guess the Lian Li PC-Q08 and Silverstone SG-07/08 would be good cases for above-budget builds?
The SG08 is pretty darn short. If you go any shorter, you are kind of throwing in the towel as far as a gaming PC goes.

You could get something like the Alienware X51 and put it on its side. It's the only prebuilt that I give my seal of approval to at the moment, though you do miss out on any ability to overclock the processor (which SB and IB are made for).

kennah

How am I going to watch my dvds?

In seriousness, it looks good. I'm curious about specific PSU and hard drive locations. Is it sized for 2.5" drives only or 3.5 as well? I'm assuming it'll fit fullsize videocards. Is it ATX or MATX?

mkenyon

Banned
*editing post thinking better of my account here*

Lots of ways to get content digitally. Or watch them with a dvd player on your TV.
How am I going to watch my dvds?

In seriousness, it looks good. I'm curious about specific PSU and hard drive locations. Is it sized for 2.5" drives only or 3.5 as well? I'm assuming it'll fit fullsize videocards. Is it ATX or MATX?
No space for 3.5" drives, at least in the barebones prototype. I think if I were to make room for 3.5" drives, I'd probably go the recent Lian Li/Cubitek route.

Plenty of room next to the PSU. It is EATX, though fitting in XL-ATX would also be possible, albeit with more limited cable management options.

It's 525mm deep, ~270mm wide (one of the things we're still playing with), 420mm tall.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks interesting mkenyon. Kickstarter or preorders?
Well, I hadn't really considered it until one of the other zfz owners brought it up. I was more considering this as something that would fulfill exactly what we wanted out of a case for our own uses.

It's a pretty niche item. Only two half-length 5.25" bays, really poor air cooling design, limited HDD capacity. Being able to avoid those usual concessions allows much more efficient use of space though.

I want to get a fully built prototype working, then we'll see if people are interested.
Anyone here play CS GO and know whether GTX 660 or 7850 will run it better?
Both will destroy it. It likes speedy/efficient cores though.

n0n44m

don't you want that aquaero a bit higher ? :) 5.25" slot or bolted to the front with a laser cut-out ?

Settings were:

Tesselation: Normal
Shaders: High
Anisotropy: 4x
AA: 4x
Resolution: 1920x1200

Bus Interface reads 'PCI-E 3.0x16@16 2.0' and all my games seem to be pushing the GPU to 100% according to afterburner.

That's really puzzling ... performance should be way higher yet utilization is OK. The 2.0 is because of a P67/Z68 motherboard ?

Have you ever benchmarked your CPU ? I'd run something like Cinebench to check performance.

RedSwirl

I just need to ask about the 560 and 660 again because I don't really understand where they sit on the scales? And what does Ti mean?

Are they just the next two versions of the 460? My current card is an HD6850 which I understand to be more or less the AMD equivalent of a 460 -- mid range. Is that what the 560 and 660 are? How does a 580 compare? And again, what's the difference with Ti?

kharma45

I just need to ask about the 560 and 660 again because I don't really understand where they sit on the scales? And what does Ti mean?

Are they just the next two versions of the 460? My current card is an HD6850 which I understand to be more or less the AMD equivalent of a 460 -- mid range. Is that what the 560 and 660 are? How does a 580 compare? And again, what's the difference with Ti?

Ti used to stand for Titanium iirc, it's just a better version.

560 and 660 are the successors yeah. 580 was last years high end card but the 660 is pretty close to it and the 660Ti is faster in some stuff.

mkenyon

Banned
don't you want that aquaero a bit higher ? :) 5.25" slot or bolted to the front with a laser cut-out ?
Water jet cut probably, and we're thinking of doing a dual slot as a number of friends really prefer those bay reservoirs. I've been fully converted to internal pump/res with good decoupling though. So much more quiet.

I prefer it at the bottom because of where I put my case on my desk, which most of my friends do as well.

Can see it there on the right, on a stand. Helps keep it very very dust free when it's sitting on a wire rack in the air like that.

I was originally going to go with the X500/X2000 style of mounting the bay devices, but it made the case a bit too long. I might move things around and see if I still can though. That would allow full length expansion bays.

295707-lian-li-pc-x500fx.jpg

LiquidMetal14

Whoa, the CM Storm Spawn has given me some really good aiming in BF3. I don't use any of the acceleration options in the CM Spawn SW so I tune up the tracking to 500mhz with some amazing results. My last 2 games I was in the top 3 with the last one ending in a nice 2.5-1ish k/d ratio. Big improvement in shooters with this mouse.

mkenyon

Banned
Is that a graph of CPU clockspeed? Can you link the source? I haven't been able to find many benchmarks for CS GO.
<----- Source

It's CS:GO with a 7970 and a 3570K at those different speeds.

Here's the rest:

Begrudgingly, FPS data (though learn to stop using this, it's not an accurate metric)

Whoa, the CM Storm Spawn has given me some really good aiming in BF3. I don't use any of the acceleration options in the CM Spawn SW so I tune up the tracking to 500mhz with some amazing results. My last 2 games I was in the top 3 with the last one ending in a nice 2.5-1ish k/d ratio. Big improvement in shooters with this mouse.
People have reacted to the 'gaming mouse' craze by assuming that sensor quality won't have an impact on game performance, and it's all about subjective comfort. They're wrong. The sensor in the Spawn is pretty much the best out there.

LiquidMetal14

If you think I could tweak these more let me know. Some caps of my settings....

1s5k36.png

29sj8t.png

Slight mishap on my last post. I have it at 1000mhz. Admittedly, there isn't a ton to change there as but I do have the dpi set to 1800 for now. Not sure if I should step it up to 3500.

Also just got this mouse pad as well.

DJ_Lae

I'm not totally enamored with my Xornet so far - it feels like a step down in terms of quality from my aging G5. I think the Storm is better built, maybe it would have been a better option for me.

The one thing I do really like about it, though, is how easy the wheel button is to press. On my G5 it might as well not be clickable. At first I thought it was a defect - especially as it presses slightly easier when pushed to the left - but quickly realized it was intentional.

But, I only paid $8 after rebate so I can't really complain that the main mouse buttons are a little mushy.

Also ordered an Asus Xonar DG today. For the price it's worth it to (hopefully) fix the annoying high pitched noise occasionally coming from my onboard sound. Headphone amp is a bonus.

LiquidMetal14

I'm not totally enamored with my Xornet so far - it feels like a step down in terms of quality from my aging G5.

The one thing I do really like about it, though, is how easy the wheel button is to press. On my G5 it might as well not be clickable. At first I thought it was a defect - especially as it presses slightly easier when pushed to the left - but quickly realized it was intentional.

But, I only paid $8 after rebate so I can't really complain.

Also ordered an Asus Xonar DG today. For the price it's worth it to (hopefully) fix the annoying high pitched noise occasionally coming from my onboard sound. Headphone amp is a bonus.

This one here?

I own that one. Really nice sound. I can't ask for more unless I'm being picky and uber enthusiast.

DJ_Lae

This one here?

I own that one. Really nice sound. I can't ask for more unless I'm being picky and uber enthusiast.

Yup. I've been getting annoying interference with my onboard audio from something with no real solutions from relocating wiring or playing with drivers. $30 to also bump the audio up a bit in the process seems worth it.

n0n44m

Water jet cut probably, and we're thinking of doing a dual slot as a number of friends really prefer those bay reservoirs. I've been fully converted to internal pump/res with good decoupling though. So much more quiet.

I prefer it at the bottom because of where I put my case on my desk, which most of my friends do as well.

Can see it there on the right, on a stand. Helps keep it very very dust free when it's sitting on a wire rack in the air like that.

I was originally going to go with the X500/X2000 style of mounting the bay devices, but it made the case a bit too long. I might move things around and see if I still can though. That would allow full length expansion bays.

Bay reservoirs are always a compromise IMHO, both in terms of decoupling and easily filling the loop. They're very useful for saving space but I would actively avoid them if you design your own case :p

I'd actually incorporate a fillport on the top and a bleed port on the bottom, so you can quickly fill and empty the loop with any kind of reservoir.

( or if you really really really want a nice looking reservoir ... incorporate one in the chassis like this OH MAN SO AWESOME build. No clue about the practical aspects though hehe )

also

didn't you switch the frametime labels ? I assume frames that take over 33.3ms also take longer than 11.1 ms ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom