• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

fair enough! maybe ill just replace the HDD & PSU both, tigerdirect looks like i can easily get a 1TB (big jump over the prior 700 GB anyway) for like $70; given the specs in my prior post what kinda wattage should i look for/@ what should i look to pay? i know newegg is typically better, just hoping to resolve this before having some people over next week.

I think the PSUs in the budget build in the OP would be fine. If you ever plan on getting a better GPU, you might want to give your self some head room

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Your Current Specs: My main desktop is broken, I'm using my mom's laptop right now as it's the only working computer in my house. So basically I have none.
Budget: I live in Brasil, but my price range in dollars would probably be around 2k (only for the desktop itself) Accessories and the like come afterward.
Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.
Monitor Resolution: I can't remember right now the resolution of the monitor I used for my desktop, only number that comes to mind is 1024. Yes I want to buy a new monitor at some point soon after I build the new desktop.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: X-COM, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun remake, Total War games (Shogun 2, Rome 2, etc), titles of the sort.
Looking to reuse any parts?: My first desktop was made in like 2005, so probably not. Just going to try and see if I can get all my stuff out of the harddrive and that's about it.
When will you build?: The plan is to buy one of the more expensive parts in july when I have a friend in the US, and then getting the rest as quickly as I can after that might take a while depending on money though.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not, last time I tried it I remember my desktop had problems and kept crashing. Unless it's something that would be necessary I don't see why I would do so.

Hope that clears a few things up. Friend of mine said that the 690 is better than the titan right now and it's a bit cheaper right?
690 is technically faster in games that support it.
I'd go with a single Titan instead of dealing with SLi headaches.

I'll have the OP updated this week hopefully. You'd be looking at a 2011 system.
Got a Kingston HyperX Beast 32 GB 2133MHz kit paired with a Rampage Formula IV mobos

Says its running at 1333MHz with a 9 CAS in the tabs
Ah. Did you set your RAM to 1.65V? Timings are right there on CPU-Z and probably the sticks.
help me, PC-GAF.

my living room/media hub PC was troubled; shit was resetting sometimes, but most times it'd be okay when running but if you let it reset (update, etc) it'd get stuck in a loop of failed windows boots that formatting didn't fix. given that it was an archaic dualcore, i took this as an opportunity to upgrade it to a new CPU/GPU/mobo/RAM etc for stability.

worked great for a bit, but started resetting again randomly (when viewing videos, browsing, even idle sometimes) and now it's only getting more frequent. im thinking at this point, its only the HDD and power supply that are the variables here...running a stable/legit windows 7 with:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ Quad-Core Desktop Processor
and a, i forget, ATI 4500 or so? anyway

could this be the power supply? i don't think so, just wanted to double check before upgrading the HDD and hoping that solves everything. anything i might be missing here?

also, assuming its the drive, do you guys recommend seagate, barracuda, toshiba, western digital or what? prolly just gonna go by Tiger Direct in the next few days and buy the cheapest 1 TB ya'll recommend
Sounds like PSU (Or bad voltage or ground coming from your wall). I'd say mobo first, but you swapped that out already (Burst / Bulging caps usually the culprit).

Just get a VP450, EA380, VP550, Corsair 430W. Those should all be $50 or less.
HDD get a WD10EZEX (1TB Blue) for ~$70.
Any website that offers to gather my order in one package?
Newegg?Amazon?
Or i have to use a 3rd party ?
You mean one shipment?
If you order a whole PC no matter where you order from I doubt all the parts will come from one warehouse. I prefer Amazon over Newegg now.
Cross posting from the Haswell thread. Embargo lifted on dual core parts, though only one for desktop

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7021/introducing-the-dualcore-haswell-skus
I referenced the low power CPUs to others from Ivy. Doesn't look too promising for the i3's.

squicken

This is interesting. One of the reasons I was thinking I might like Haswell was having the extra USB3 and SATA III ports, but

That’s not to say the new chipset is perfect. Its ancient DMI 2.0 interface still limits us to the bandwidth of four USB 3.0 ports. Or four-lane PCIe 2.0 devices. Or barely more than three SATA 6Gb/s drives. Intel gets away calling this its top-end mainstream solution only because we've grown to expect fairly little from south bridges.

It's really only one extra usable SATA III port

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-haswell-motherboard-review,3524.html#xtor=RSS-182

Doh! The Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB on Amazon went from "Temporarily Unavailable" to "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.". Whatever company releases a 4GB 770 first will have my money now.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hello!

Quick question for the experts!

I just moved to Tokyo and just carried with my my motherboard, psu and gfx.

The PSU is a 850W bronze
The motherboard an asrock p67 (i5 2500k, 16gb ram)
And the GFX a EVGA 580

I found a 580 for around 150$ so my question is: ok to do SLI or upgrade a newer card?

Second. A case to hold the 2 GFX.

For the monitor I just buyed a 27" 1440p.

Sirolf

Hi there tech-gaf :)
I have an old rig with a Q9550,8Go DDR2 (lol) and a 660.
I plan to upgrade to a 4770k with 16Go and the same gfx card.
Will i see a huge upgrade ingame with my current card ? Do i need to wait to buy ,say a 770 to fully upgrade?
My finger is on the checkout button ;-)

Addnan

Hello!

The PSU is a 850W bronze
And the GFX a EVGA 580

I found a 580 for around 150$ so my question is: ok to do SLI or upgrade a newer card?

A 580 for $150 seems like a really good deal. You are going to have to spend quite a bit more to beat 580s in sli. I would go for it.

Addnan

Will i see a huge upgrade ingame with my current card ? Do i need to wait to buy ,say a 770 to fully upgrade?
Yeah you will. The 4770K is a lot better than your current one. The 770 is a much better card than the 660 too though, you would see an incredible boost in performance if you went with both the CPU upgrade on the graphics card. You could also go for the 7970, which has a very similar performance to 770 and comes with a lot of games.

It would still be a great update without the new graphics card.

flotsam

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I've been lurking in the shadows on this thread for a while now and not only has it been a godsend in helping to build my new machine, but it has rekindled my dormant interest in hardware to the point I'm going to try and keep up with the latest advancements even when this machine has been built.

I wanted to start again from scratch and leave my existing machine (built in 2010) intact and I don't really have a budget as such other than I want to keep it under £2000 (the current tally for the components below is around £1800).

I know future-proofing is a redundant concept, but basically I want to be gaming at around 60 fps for the next couple of years on high/ultra settings. I'm not going to say ultra everything because I'm aware there's a lot of unoptimised and experimental options that offer very little payback for the hardware tax.

Given this, my first stab at the system is as follows and I would love to hear any feedback!

CPU: i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket LGA1150
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Intel Z87
Memory: Corsair Vengeance White LP 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
HDD Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green Power 2TB 64MB Cache
SSD Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/s Basic
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 PCI-Express 3072MB GDDR5
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 - Black Pearl
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series HX+ 850W
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 24" TRUE 120Hz 3D Vision 2.0 Widescreen LED

A few additional questions: -

1. Can you foresee any scenario where I may need an optical drive for installation/building of the machine?

2. Is the Design Define XL R2 a high enough breed of case that I can skip buying additional/better case fans?

3. Is ASUS a good choice for the GTX 780? I've heard anecdotal reports it runs slightly quieter than the MSI and EVGA counterparts

4. How high risk is putting down money on a MSI Z87-GD65 at this point given how new and untested they are? If anything comes to light, is it likely to be weeks or months down the road?

Again, many thanks to every contributor for maintaining such a fantastic thread and service for us here!

kharma45

Hey guys,

I've been lurking in the shadows on this thread for a while now and not only has it been a godsend in helping to build my new machine, but it has rekindled my dormant interest in hardware to the point I'm going to try and keep up with the latest advancements even when this machine has been built.

I wanted to start again from scratch and leave my existing machine (built in 2010) intact and I don't really have a budget as such other than I want to keep it under £2000 (the current tally for the components below is around £1800).

I know future-proofing is a redundant concept, but basically I want to be gaming at around 60 fps for the next couple of years on high/ultra settings. I'm not going to say ultra everything because I'm aware there's a lot of unoptimised and experimental options that offer very little payback for the hardware tax.

Given this, my first stab at the system is as follows and I would love to hear any feedback!

CPU: i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket LGA1150
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Intel Z87
Memory: Corsair Vengeance White LP 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
HDD Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green Power 2TB 64MB Cache
SSD Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/s Basic
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 PCI-Express 3072MB GDDR5
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 - Black Pearl
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series HX+ 850W
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 24" TRUE 120Hz 3D Vision 2.0 Widescreen LED

A few additional questions: -

1. Can you foresee any scenario where I may need an optical drive for installation/building of the machine?

2. Is the Design Define XL R2 a high enough breed of case that I can skip buying additional/better case fans?

3. Is ASUS a good choice for the GTX 780? I've heard anecdotal reports it runs slightly quieter than the MSI and EVGA counterparts

4. How high risk is putting down money on a MSI Z87-GD65 at this point given how new and untested they are? If anything comes to light, is it likely to be weeks or months down the road?

Again, many thanks to every contributor for maintaining such a fantastic thread and service for us here!

1. No, just use a USB stick for Windows.

2. Ask mkenyon.

3. Is that one with a custom cooler?

4. Could be either, we just don't know yet. GD65 should be good though.

A few other things, considered the 250GB 840 over the 128GB 840 Pro? PSU is a bit overkill too, I'd change it to this http://www.cclonline.com/product/11...39/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-7ctVE4zifgfmIqM96WvFfA Cheaper and will still have enough power if you wanted to SLI.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hello!

The PSU is a 850W bronze
And the GFX a EVGA 580

I like your odds with 2 580's and for the 150, sounds good.

Would be a bonus if the GPU was not a reference card and has some dual/triple fan cooling but still, performance should be good for pretty much any game.

Talk to me around Feb of next year. I will be selling 2 670's :p

Your computer will be a lot faster with that cpu upgrade, especially if you switch over to SSD on 6GB sata.

The 660 is still a beast of a graphics card - as long as you're not pushing some crazy resolution. I just put a 660 in my Steambox and it pushes 1080 wonderfully.

Personally, I rarely "fully" upgrade. I upgrade what's needed as it's needed, and right now I'd say you need a cpu upgrade more than a video card upgrade.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Nearly everyone I have talked to that has built a computer says cable management is such a hassle that they gave 0 fucks in the end. I hope that isn't the case. I love when the inside of a PC looks clean.

Nearly everyone I have talked to that has built a computer says cable management is such a hassle that they gave 0 fucks in the end. I hope that isn't the case. I love when the inside of a PC looks clean.

Entirely depends on the case that is used. I'm the same way though, so my cable management is generally the longest part of a build. Just takes patience.

Addnan

A lot easier now that most cases have a lot of room behind the motherboard tray to hide and route the cables through.

flotsam

Neo Member
Thanks for the quick feedback.

The case is a bit overkill too. The Define XL is massive. The R4 would be perfect size.

You're completely right. I've just double checked the dimensions and I think that somewhere along the line I picked up the XL model rather than the R4 that I was originally looking at. Thanks for the catch :)

I'd recommend a larger SSD, even if you have to go to something slightly 'slower'. I just came from a 128GB and it sucks. You'll run out of space soon enough and have to start swapping out games.

Am I correct in thinking that the speed of the SSD is only really going to affect boot speed and file manipulation rather than having a significant impact on games? Sounds like a good trade off to make if so.

3. Is that one with a custom cooler?

I assumed so from the comments some people have made, but on further investigation, I seems to be a reference card. Is the labelling the only thing different between the various reference cards out there?

scogoth

I like your odds with 2 580's and for the 150, sounds good.

Would be a bonus if the GPU was not a reference card and has some dual/triple fan cooling but still, performance should be good for pretty much any game.

Talk to me around Feb of next year. I will be selling 2 670's :p

Actually SLI is one of the few circumstances where you want reference coolers. Blowers push all that heat out of the case rather than have two 580s dumping huge amounts of heat into the case.

Am I correct in thinking that the speed of the SSD is only really going to affect boot speed and file manipulation rather than having a significant impact on games? Sounds like a good trade off to make if so.

Load times will be faster. But SSD in general will provide that for you. Would you notice the difference between a Pro and non-Pro?? Maybe a wee bit, but probably not. I'd still opt for capacity in this case though - 128 fills up a lot faster than you think.

I remedied my cable management issues by getting a bigger case/ that has a panel to "hide" cables

A bigger case is always a no-brainer, but I've found that intelligent case design can go a long ways as well. My Steambox is in a Silverstone FT03, and despite being a mini tower, that thing has some of the most efficient and easy cable management I've ever seen.

knitoe

For read speeds, you are not going to notice nor feel much, if any, difference between a slow vs fast SSD. Write speed is where you will see the big difference, but even then, it's only if you are constantly writing, like video editing. For games, yeah, better to get a larger SSD than a smaller faster one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Actually SLI is one of the few circumstances where you want reference coolers. Blowers push all that heat out of the case rather than have two 580s dumping huge amounts of heat into the case.

I don't really disagree but using reference cards now and having triple fan GPU's prior to, I can tell you that the working environment and performance was better than the reference cards I've had and I've own 2 separate sets of reference cards.

kharma45

I assumed so from the comments some people have made, but on further investigation, I seems to be a reference card. Is the labelling the only thing different between the various reference cards out there?

Yeah all the reference cards are the same. You're paying a premium for the name really.

kennah

Kinda tempted by this for $20

Pentium Pro 200
128MB Ram
Maxtor 90845D4 8.4 GB IDE Hard Drive
WD WDE4360 4.3 GB SCSI Hard Drive
NEC SCSI CD-ROM
3-1/2" Internal Floppy
USR 56K Voice Internal Modem
SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Card
Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Card
Creative Awe32 Sound Card
Matrox Millenium Video Card
3Dfx Voodoo 2 Video Card

Could relive the nostalgia days.

kharma45

Kinda tempted by this for $20

Pentium Pro 200
128MB Ram
Maxtor 90845D4 8.4 GB IDE Hard Drive
WD WDE4360 4.3 GB SCSI Hard Drive
NEC SCSI CD-ROM
3-1/2" Internal Floppy
USR 56K Voice Internal Modem
SOHOware 10/100 PCI Network Card
Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI SCSI Card
Creative Awe32 Sound Card
Matrox Millenium Video Card
3Dfx Voodoo 2 Video Card

Could relive the nostalgia days.

Do it, and swap that IDE HDD for a CF card.

Azzurri

ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

GTX-780-DirectCU-II.jpg

http://www.technationnews.com/2013/...with-new-cooler-gtx-770-dcii-oc-pictured-too/

Sirolf

Your computer will be a lot faster with that cpu upgrade, especially if you switch over to SSD on 6GB sata.

The 660 is still a beast of a graphics card - as long as you're not pushing some crazy resolution. I just put a 660 in my Steambox and it pushes 1080 wonderfully.

Personally, I rarely "fully" upgrade. I upgrade what's needed as it's needed, and right now I'd say you need a cpu upgrade more than a video card upgrade.

Ordered.. Thanks for the advice!

So I recently upgraded my kids / wife's PC with a Phenom II X4 965, a HD 6950 I had laying around and 8GB of ram and in exchanged gained a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000. Since it's still a decent CPU I figured I'd use it in a HTPC for some mame action, so I'm looking for suggestions on a HTPC case for a micro-ATX mobo.

The only requirement is that it can fit a ATX12V PSU, 1-2 harddrives and enough room for a 12-13 inch video card (which may exclude several cases I've looked at so far).

I've looked at a couple so far but I wanted to see any here had any experience with any of these;

SilverStone Sugo Series SG09B - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163222

SilverStone HTPC Case ML03B - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GGUAUE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

nMEDIAPC HTPC 7000B - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204042

APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146852&SID=xvhmu2esfizq

SILVERSTONE Grandia Series GD05B - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146852&SID=f505j6txbhdt

TheExodu5

Banned
So, this is my new setup.

2kT8SRc.jpg

Using the 120Hz monitor for competitive or twitch gaming (e.g. CS, SC, Dota 2, Super Meat Boy). Using the TV for television/movies, and for relaxed gaming. I would still like to get an arm for the monitor so I can move it around easier, but this setup is working okay for now.

Also picked up a Logitech G400S mouse which I absolutely adore. Huge upgrade from my Razer Mamba. The weight is perfect...it glides far more smoothly across my funcpad than my Mamba ever did. The sensor is also a big improvement over the Mamba. I always loved the MX518 variants, and this is the definite one. No issues that were present in the previous version (angle snapping, acceleration issues).

Wow...I do not like the look of that cooler one bit. Their 580/680 series coolers looked far better.

Blizzard

Banned
I got limited responses to my build. ;_; Thanks for the comments though.

I am considering the Caviar Black since I didn't realize the performance and warranty were supposed to be better. I don't like the idea of a single huge drive as a point of failure but eh, I ought to be doing external backups anyway.

Any opinions on whether I needed a CPU cooler with the stock i5 3570k if I'm not overclocking? (for reference http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61104861&postcount=17221)

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
The Asus 780 looks pretty small compared to the 680 models especially the TOP which is a mammoth lol. That EVGA Classified is pretty sexy.

Addnan

I got limited responses to my build. ;_; Thanks for the comments though.

I am considering the Caviar Black since I didn't realize the performance and warranty were supposed to be better. I don't like the idea of a single huge drive as a point of failure but eh, I ought to be doing external backups anyway.

Any opinions on whether I needed a CPU cooler with the stock i5 3570k if I'm not overclocking? (for reference http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=61104861&postcount=17221)
If you are not going to overclock you don't need a separate cooler, but the recommended coolermaster hyper is very cheap so if in the future you ever want to overclocked it certainly doesn't hurt to have it!

Blizzard

Banned
If you are not going to overclock you don't need a separate cooler, but the recommended coolermaster hyper is very cheap so if in the future you ever want to overclocked it certainly doesn't hurt to have it!
Thanks! Sorry if I'm overlooking something, but do you have a link? I didn't see a coolermaster in the OP page when I tried searching.

knitoe

Thanks! Sorry if I'm overlooking something, but do you have a link? I didn't see a coolermaster in the OP page when I tried searching.

It's Coolermaster Evo(new) or 212+(old). They perform almost the same so get whichever is cheaper. And, you should overclock. A increase of ~1GHz over stock is huge in performance which current games can take advantage of. For $30, it's a no brainer.

mkenyon

Banned
mATX Prodigy!! It's reverse ATX TOO!

I'll have the OP updated this week hopefully.
This is why I told you to install greenshot. Spreadsheets done! :p
Using the 120Hz monitor for competitive or twitch gaming (e.g. CS, SC, Dota 2, Super Meat Boy). Using the TV for television/movies, and for relaxed gaming. I would still like to get an arm for the monitor so I can move it around easier, but this setup is working okay for now.
Super super legit right there.

Glad you went for the 120Hz, it's especially the right choice for competitive gamers.
This:
The case is a bit overkill too. The Define XL is massive. The R4 would be perfect size.
The case runs cooler, stays cleaner, and is easier to work in when something goes awry. It's so worth it.

Candeez

CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
CPU: i3570K
RAM: 8 GB
MOBO: GA-Z77N-WIFI
VID: GTX-780
PSU: Corsair AX760i
SDD: Intel 520 120GB

Got the vid and psu today, shots of them before they go in:

Case with mobo/cpu/ram:

Top shot with everything in:

Side shot with power plugged in:

Case on, Sapporo for scale:

Diagonal shot:

Back shot:

Side shot of the vid card vent:

On the rack:

Entertainment nook (lit for detail, gf eating shabu shabu and watching This Means War...):

Entertianment nook (night time lighting):

So far the system is very fast and very quiet. I can't hear anything from the couch 10 feet away. I wanted something portable I can move from the office to the living room easily. I'll take more shots of the pc in the office when my dell u2713hm comes in this week.

A note on this build: in order to get the GTX-780 and the AX-760i to fit, I had to remove the PSU bracket (4 screws) and double-side tape the PSU onto the case for stability. Had a Corsair TX-650 which fit without removing the bracket, but I made the jump to modular because I couldn't stand the cable hell.

lordy88

CASE: Fractal Design Node 304
CPU: i3570K
RAM: 8 GB
MOBO: GA-Z77N-WIFI
VID: GTX-780
PSU: Corsair AX760i
SDD: Intel 520 120GB

Got the vid and psu today, shots of them before they go in:

Z9KjvyP.jpg

Case with mobo/cpu/ram:

TP2oncy.jpg

Top shot with everything in:

kgO27dO.jpg

Side shot with power plugged in:

4BaIxUB.jpg

Case on, Sapporo for scale:

0LeePbk.jpg

Diagonal shot:

CJimZWv.jpg

Back shot:

ZZH2Hx7.jpg

Side shot of the vid card vent:

qXSGV0Q.jpg

On the rack:

p8STsHp.jpg

Entertainment nook (lit for detail, gf eating shabu shabu and watching This Means War...):

F6OKyuR.jpg

Entertianment nook (night time lighting):

Bdj7jzN.jpg

So far the system is very fast and very quiet. I can't hear anything from the couch 10 feet away. I wanted something portable I can move from the office to the living room easily. I'll take more shots of the pc in the office when my dell u2713hm comes in this week.

A note on this build: in order to get the GTX-780 and the AX-760i to fit, I had to remove the PSU bracket (4 screws) and double-side tape the PSU onto the case for stability. Had a Corsair TX-650 which fit without removing the bracket, but I made the jump to modular because I couldn't stand the cable hell.

I'm going to quote this for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom