• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

-4 dimm 16gb quad channel Samsung RAM. I can't boot up at 2400mhz. I tried 10-10-10-28 2t, 11-11-11-28 2t, and 10-11-11-28 2t with no luck. Had the vccsa set to 1.100 and ram voltage to 1.6. I can boot up at 9-10-10-21 2t at 2133 speeds though.

Should you be using higher than 1.5v for RAM voltage on Ivy/Sandy Bridge? I think I read somewhere that above 1.5v is not a good idea.

n0n44m

Anyone very familiar with RAM OC and CPU OC? Here's what I have so far.....

-3930k boots up at 4.8ghz with a manual voltage of 1.395. I toned that down to 1.390 and 4.7ghz. Stable after testing and played BF3 for a half hour just fine. Temps capped out at no higher than 63 on the highest core.

-4 dimm 16gb quad channel Samsung RAM. I can't boot up at 2400mhz. I tried 10-10-10-28 2t, 11-11-11-28 2t, and 10-11-11-28 2t with no luck. Had the vccsa set to 1.100 and ram voltage to 1.6. I can boot up at 9-10-10-21 2t at 2133 speeds though.

Is there something I can do to push for 2400mhz such as higher CPU OC? If I can hit that frequency then I would like to do so.

a lower CPU OC is more likely ... I'm not really into X79 overclocking, but as all current CPUs have Internal Memory Controllers, high overclocks on the CPU can be more stressing and therefore reduce the memory overclock potential.

You can counter some of that by increasing certain voltages, but I would avoid that as the IMCs can be fragile and killing them = useless CPU.

Just set your CPU to stock speeds and see if the RAM does go to 2400. If not I'd just stick to 2133 with the best possible timings. How much difference in performance does it make anyway? Last test I saw with P67/Z68 didn't show any significant difference between 1600 and 2133 MHz , timings were more important.

Should you be using higher than 1.5v for RAM voltage on Ivy/Sandy Bridge? I think I read somewhere that above 1.5v is not a good idea.

well the IMCs are spec'ed for 1.5V RAM ... some of the older RAM is 1.65V and though I've seen a lot of warnings about it I've never read about someone killing their SB/IB with 1.65V

So I picked up the g500 yesterday, and I am not entirely sure I am sold on it yet. It feels too long, I think maybe I am more of a claw grip style user. Or at least shorter in my mouse like. I had a VX revolution before, and a normal MS Intellimouse. I think the G9X is probably a better bet for me, being that I like it when my actual palm is resting on a desk and not on the end of the mouse. Ill give it a few more days see if I grow accustomed. One thing I did notice right away is how much easier it was to play games with a high precision mouse hah. I was doing MUCH better in the Crysis 3 beta, and it was much easier to aim and everything moved much smoother. WHO KNOW it was down to my mouse? :)

Iorv3th

So I picked up the g500 yesterday, and I am not entirely sure I am sold on it yet. It feels too long, I think maybe I am more of a claw grip style user. Or at least shorter in my mouse like. I had a VX revolution before, and a normal MS Intellimouse. I think the G9X is probably a better bet for me, being that I like it when my actual palm is resting on a desk and not on the end of the mouse. Ill give it a few more days see if I grow accustomed.

I liked mine as soon as I hooked it up. Had it for about a year now and haven't found anything I like more. I palm the mouse though I guess. I like the positioning of the thumb buttons too.

garath

So I picked up the g500 yesterday, and I am not entirely sure I am sold on it yet. It feels too long, I think maybe I am more of a claw grip style user. Or at least shorter in my mouse like. I had a VX revolution before, and a normal MS Intellimouse. I think the G9X is probably a better bet for me, being that I like it when my actual palm is resting on a desk and not on the end of the mouse. Ill give it a few more days see if I grow accustomed. One thing I did notice right away is how much easier it was to play games with a high precision mouse hah. I was doing MUCH better in the Crysis 3 beta, and it was much easier to aim and everything moved much smoother. WHO KNOW it was down to my mouse? :)

I've always liked the Logitech gaming mice. I recently switched from my mx518 to a Sensei RAW and have been really liking it too.

But yeah, modern gaming mice are light years beyond the old intellimouse :p

Hard to go wrong these days. Just find one that suits you!

scogoth

Anyone very familiar with RAM OC and CPU OC? Here's what I have so far.....

-3930k boots up at 4.8ghz with a manual voltage of 1.395. I toned that down to 1.390 and 4.7ghz. Stable after testing and played BF3 for a half hour just fine. Temps capped out at no higher than 63 on the highest core.

Is there something I can do to push for 2400mhz such as higher CPU OC? If I can hit that frequency then I would like to do so.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3851/...now-about-sdram-memory-but-were-afraid-to-ask

Long and technical article but it will help you understand everything about RAM. You should also learn to calculate actually RAM access time because faster frequency doesn't mean faster RAM if the timings are slower.

kennah

Maybe it is just because i went from a 6850 or the games I've played since upgrading (D3, Bl2, binary Domain, and a little skyrim) but i've been pretty inpressed with the performance of the 660 non-ti. Followed the downsampling thread and have been running 2850x1440 in 1920x1080 and everything looks fantastic and plays quite smooth. Haven't done full benchmarks but it all feels pretty great. So can recommend it for people on a budget.

Sullen

Is the 660 TI still a good bang for your buck for the budget minded person? I really can't justify spending over 300 dollars on a video card these days. Is that the best in that price range?

Koroviev

I think the best time to buy a 670 will be the day after the Titan ships

End of February or something, right? My 7850 isn't bad, so it will tide me over until there is a deal to jump on. I wouldn't have any patience at all if I was still using my GTX 460. Do you suppose anyone would be interested in buying a lightly used 7850 (2gb) that hasn't been overclocked?

TommyT

So I'm thinking about using Raspberry Pi for an HTPC. Are there any other good/cheap HTPC setups out there out of the box? I don't expect them to be as cheap as the Pi, but just curious before I pull the trigger.

mkenyon

Banned
I'll have a 670 for sale this week. EVGA FTW 4GB. GAF price will be $300.

I figure with my main workstation out of commission for a week plus, might as well get ready for the Titan.

So I've been considering a 670 recently to replace my awesome, but slightly ageing 6870, and Novatech have thrown a spanner into the works - a 7970 for £270 with 6 games (The 4 games pack which I'll sell on, plus Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3, both of which I was looking at buying anyway). Two questions:

1) Is it worth going for an AMD nowadays? Heard a few stories about them not doing so well. Benchmarks seem to be on par with the 680 otherwise.

2) I was interested in trying out Splashtop Nvidia streaming, to get around figuring ways to run cables in my rented flat to the TV in the living room (no drills). Has anyone tested it, is it just a gimmick, or would it be viable in a Nvidia Shield way?

Talents

Banned
Another question even though I thought I was done, which motherboard out of these 3 (will most likely be overclocking)?:
Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Asus P8Z77-M
Asus P8Z77-V LX

Bleeether

Another question even though I thought I was done, which motherboard out of these 3 (will most likely be overclocking)?:
Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Asus P8Z77-M
Asus P8Z77-V LX

I own the V pro, it has 16 power phases. Another cool feature is that it comes with a wifi card, and its a pretty awesome card.

If you go with Asus, dont install the AIsuite. Its total junk, and several members on the ROG forum advise to not install it at all. Although some people do seem to have good experiences with...

Talents

Banned
I own the V pro, it has 16 power phases. Another cool feature is that it comes with a wifi card, and its a pretty awesome card.

If you go with Asus, dont install the AIsuite. Its total junk, and several members on the ROG forum advise to not install it at all. Although some people do seem to have good experiences with...

Many thanks man!

Just don't install any motherboard software other than the latest drivers from their site.

Yeah I know, I don't plan on using the disks they come with. Thanks for the advice though!

Lucid07

Is it worth an upgrade yet on my rig?

Mobo: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 >> Z77
CPU: i5 2500k >> 3750k
GPU: 2GB 680
RAM: G.Skill 8GB
HDD: 1TB HDD
PSU: AX850

I will be getting a SSD soon, but apart from that is it worth upgrading my mobo and CPU?

Koroviev

I will be getting a SSD soon, but apart from that is it worth upgrading my mobo and CPU?

I would take advantage of the Micro Center deal. Otherwise, focus on getting that SSD.

scogoth

5-10% CPU performance increase and some new features. If that's worth it to you then great but an SSD will improve your general use performance more

garath

I would say no. Seems like a relatively small performance upgrade for the money you'd be spending. Just overclock and wait for the next gen.

SSD would be a better purchase.

kami_sama

I'm trying to find a ssd for about 100 euros. Any recommendations?

Also, as all graphics cards seem to be delayed until Q4, should I go with a 7950?

What's a good stock temp for CPU/GPU?

Gigabyte 7950's highest temp was 62c while playing Alan Wake on high (highest setting w/o custom AA and stuff) for an hour. Usually at 26-28 on the desktop, browsing, etc.

Max i5 3570K temp using Core Temp to 48, 42, 44, 41c. Idles at low to mid 20s. Real Temp has it fluctuating from the mid-teens to 20s on idle.

Sounding good?

Jburton

Banned
What would be a good quiet aftermarket fan for that EVGA?

Arctic accelero mono, have it on my 670, idles at 22c and the highest I have seen it hit under heavy load (benchmarking) was 55c ........ usually sits around 45-50 when playing BF3.

At 50% fan speed it is very quiet, no louder than my bitfenix spectre pro fans running at 500rpm (controlled by the bitfenix recon).

Well worth the £30.

kennah

Arctic accelero mono, have it on my 670, idles at 22c and the highest I have seen it hit under heavy load (benchmarking) was 55c ........ usually sits around 45-50 when playing BF3.

At 50% fan speed it is very quiet, no louder than my bitfenix spectre pro fans running at 500rpm (controlled by the bitfenix recon).

Well worth the £30.

Cool (haha) thanks, not bad, $40 here in Canada. Now to fend off the wolves/sell my 660/get permission.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Reading a lot but I have settled on my 2133 with 9-10-10-21 1t timings. CPU is at a stable 4.7ghz and the 2 670's in SLI are in. Will try to run a 3d mark test shortly.

mkenyon

Banned
Bidding war for mkenyon's 670, lol.

going to edit my previous post to call dibs
Depending on what is actually causing my system to be totally fucked, I might end up having two for sale.

If it's one of the cards, I'm going to have to RMA to EVGA, and then I might end up just keeping it.

Koroviev has dibs on the first one though :p

kennah

Depending on what is actually causing my system to be totally fucked, I might end up having two for sale.

If it's one of the cards, I'm going to have to RMA to EVGA, and then I might end up just keeping it.

Koroviev has dibs on the first one though :p

BAH :p This'll be easier shipping, one big box! ;)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Mkenyon selling off his 670s got me thinking... I should attempt to upgrade from my lousy 4-year-old Dell using all used GAF PC parts. Once Haswell and the GPUs get released and everyone upgrades, I can start scooping up the leftovers. :p

Koroviev

Mkenyon selling off his 670s got me thinking... I should attempt to upgrade from my lousy 4-year-old Dell using all used GAF PC parts. Once Haswell and the GPUs get released and everyone upgrades, I can start scooping up the leftovers. :p

I might have a 2gb 7850 up for sale shortly. Still discussing some things.

kennah

I'll have a Q6600, mobo, ram, up soonish. Was going to do a GAF giveaway for it, but need to get my new parts in first.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I might have a 2gb 7850 up for sale shortly. Still discussing some things.

I see...
Two things though: I probably won't be building for another couple months and I think I want to go with a 670. But hey, who knows! If you do put it up for sale, feel free to let me know and I might be interested!

I'll have a Q6600, mobo, ram, up soonish. Was going to do a GAF giveaway for it, but need to get my new parts in first.

Ah nice. I think I'm gonna go for more of an upgrade than that, but thanks for the heads up!

AkuMifune

Banned
Haven't had a gaming pc in 10 years. Been studying all kinds of parts and custom builds for maybe a month and the more I learn the less I know. :)

Think I'll just go with avadirect and throw $1000 at them. Won't be amazing, but will meet my needs. Just feels like such a crapshoot with all of the different options available as far as vendors and brands.

But leaning towards Hazaros 'best overall' build. Thanks for those! Will probably pull the trigger in a couple weeks when the tax return comes in. Can't wait!

Luckily I've been keeping up on Steam sales all these years and literally have dozens of games in that backlog.

Koroviev

Haven't had a gaming pc in 10 years. Been studying all kinds of parts and custom builds for maybe a month and the more I learn the less I know. :)

Think I'll just go with avadirect and throw $1000 at them. Won't be amazing, but will meet my needs. Just feels like such a crapshoot with all of the different options available as far as vendors and brands.

But leaning towards Hazaros 'best overall' build. Thanks for those! Will probably pull the trigger in a couple weeks when the tax return comes in. Can't wait!

Luckily I've been keeping up on Steam sales all these years and literally have dozens of games in that backlog.

If you build it, $1000 makes for a pretty great PC ;)

AkuMifune

Banned
If you build it, $1000 makes for a pretty great PC ;)
Well I think so! But then I see some of the other builds people have going here and it's nuts. Liquid cooled, SSD's, crazy rigs... you can spend as much as you want and just keep going.

The funny part is that this all started with Hotline Miami, a game I got for $4.99.

Koroviev

Well I think so! But then I see some of the other builds people have going here and it's nuts. Liquid cooled, SSD's, crazy rigs... you can spend as much as you want and just keep going.

The funny part is that this all started with Hotline Miami, a game I got for $4.99.

Liquid cooling isn't crazy expensive and SSDs have come down a lot, with promotions on the best cards happening almost weekly. My 256gb 840 Pro was only $200. You really just need to have a little knowledge.... Between this thread and YouTube, you should be set!

scogoth

Liquid cooling isn't crazy expensive and SSDs have come down a lot, with promotions on the best cards happening almost weekly. My 256gb 840 Pro was only $200. You really just need to have a little knowledge.... Between this thread and YouTube, you should be set!

Yes it is. Real liquid cooling that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom