• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Just got an email from AMD about their 'Never Settle Reloaded' bundle. Now, instead of Hitman Absolution, Farcry 3, and sleeping dogs when you buy a 7900 series card, you get Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3.

Fair Trade. A game and a benchmarking tool.

Back to Asus 120hz monitor.........

1080p feels so......low. meh

where is my 2560x1440/1600 @120hz :(

Hey Smokey which did you get? I have a Benq XL2411T on the way, but it takes a while to get here, like a month! Can't wait to try out the Light Boost hack!

Smokey

Hey Smokey which did you get? I have a Benq XL2411T on the way, but it takes a while to get here, like a month! Can't wait to try out the Light Boost hack!

I've had my Asus 120hz for almost 2 years now. Apparently it's one of the best models out, which I wasn't aware of until I saw MK mentioning it here and other places. I often switch back and forth between it and my Dell U3011, which is what I did today. Moved the Dell to another room and am rolling with 120hz.

23'' seems so small to me and as I mentioned earlier 1080p seems really low to me after using the U3011 for an extensive period of time. But 120hz is soooo smooth...

I've had my Asus 120hz for almost 2 years now. Apparently it's one of the best models out, which I wasn't aware of until I saw MK mentioning it here and other places. I often switch back and forth between it and my Dell U3011, which is what I did today. Moved the Dell to another room and am rolling with 120hz.

23'' seems so small to me and as I mentioned earlier 1080p seems really low to me after using the U3011 for an extensive period of time. But 120hz is soooo smooth...

Yeah, I've been gaming on my CRT at 100hz and with the zero input lag there's no going back. I'll gladly sacrifice graphics for the ultra connected feel that comes with 120hz and input lag free gaming. Feels so good!!!

The new Asus VG248QE seems like a really good deal right now (around $300). 1ms gtg panel response, 120hz and LightBoost hack give you better than CRT motion clarity (trade off is that the colours/blacks suck!). Input lag supposed to be non-existent too although there is no hard data yet. The Benq XL2411T with the same panel reportedly has 0.001-frame input lag which is practically non-existent.

More info on the LightBoost hack for zero motion blur:
http://marky.com/backlight/lightboost-zero-motion-blur/

Momentary

Banned
Going to ATTEMPT to sleeve my own cables. I hope I don't screw anything up

Sleeving_zpsaa93dd4f.png

Only thing I'm missing is heatshrink I think.

Koroviev

I picked up the 7950 for $300, which seems very reasonable to me considering that the 670 is around $400. The price is right unless you need CUDA.

And idk what the conversion rate is, but you should be able to find the M4 for fairly cheap. 840 Pro is newer and I picked up mine during a promotion, so there's also that to look out for.

Momentary

Banned
900D on sale at Amazon I wonder if they are "sold out" because of it not being released or if it really is sold out. Any other outlets have preorders up for this? Really want to buy this right now, but mkenyon talking about the LD-7 so highly has me torn. I'm not sure if I want to pay 200 more bucks on a case though.

Ty4on

An Alienware X51, with a low power vid card and a crap clocked i5 has 2.56 Tflops of power. Durango and Orbis aren't trying to match the high end. They want a low power (and therefore low heat), affordable console with a huge leap in graphics capability.

It was much easier in 2005, didn't a high end GPU have a TDP of like 80 back then? A single high end GPU now uses more power than the entire first gen Xbox 360 and MS aren't known for being generous with the heatsink :p

But I think in raw performance the Durango looks like a 7700 series (kinda a 7750 :/) and the Orbis a 7800 series. I can be wrong, but that looks like a huge differenece on top of the GDDR5 RAM.

scogoth

What I'm looking at so far for water cooling. It'll be a bit more with fittings, tubings, coolant and Titan blocks.

watercooling_zpsa606f250.png

Put dinoc on all those blocks ;)

And way to have the exact same build other than the titans =(. I wish I could get the Titans.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone familiar with SLI maybe can give me some advice. I've had some crashes during both 2011 and 2013 versions of Futuremark. I suspect it has something to do with the Futuremark "SystemInfo" service but the program won't run without it. Get some DXGI hardware has been removed error. I had a modest OC on both GPU's so I'm not sure how to diagnose this as a lot of the time, the driver fails and recovers back to the desktop. On the latest stable/non-beta 3.10.90 driver.

I've had a couple of BSOD's while gaming but I think they were due to voltage on the CPU not being right. PM's and all that are welcome as I have to work now but I could use some diagnosis tips.

n0n44m

Anyone familiar with SLI maybe can give me some advice. I've had some crashes during both 2011 and 2013 versions of Futuremark. I suspect it has something to do with the Futuremark "SystemInfo" service but the program won't run without it. Get some DXGI hardware has been removed error. I had a modest OC on both GPU's so I'm not sure how to diagnose this as a lot of the time, the driver fails and recovers back to the desktop. On the latest stable/non-beta 3.10.90 driver.

I've had a couple of BSOD's while gaming but I think they were due to voltage on the CPU not being right. PM's and all that are welcome as I have to work now but I could use some diagnosis tips.

BSOD = CPU overclock failure, could indeed be not enough voltage

Drivers fail & recovery , back to desktop = GPU overclock failure, too much speed on the core usually

first, make sure your CPU is 100% stable before you go overclocking the GPUs

in fact, it's always a good idea to run both CPU & GPU at stock settings and benchmark them for a couple of hours (Prime95 blend, Heaven 3.0) to make sure everything is working as intended

as for GPU overclocking, Heaven 3.0 is the ultimate tool ; any setting that was unstable for me would usually crash within 10 minutes of Heaven...

can you run 3Dmark stable with everything set to stock speeds ?

aristotle

I was having massive driver failures with 3.10.90. Have you tried going back to the .70 release and trying those? In fact, those same driver issues are why I decided to go and buy a new pc to build.

So, the past two days I've both a Logitech G9x and a G500 and realized that I am definitely closer to a claw grip and the G9x fits perfectly for my play style!

Zeth

Is the G9x a better performer than the Storm Spawn? They look like they have similar ergonomics. I'm coming from a palm-style first gen MX 518 but I mouse with my fingertips primarily, so I think the claw-style should work well for me.

Only disable it on the SSD. I manually allocate 16-16000mb on my 1tb HDD.

You can turn down the page file but make sure you hit the "set" button to make the changes take. Might ask you for a reboot.

I'm also referring to virtual memory in advanced settings.

Ahh I didn't realize you could do it that way.

Come on hd I want to buillllllld.

Shambles

Thought I might ask this here. I've been looking for a 90 degree adapter for the 19-pin USB 3.0 motherboard header. I have a case with a motherboard where the header comes straight out of the board and directly into the back of the hard drive cage. Currently I have the cage removed but I'm wanting to put it back in without risking damaging the USB header/cable. I've looked for a while but haven't found anything satisfactory. Has anyone else come across one of these?

Even something like this, if it was available in NA would work:
739109_BB_00_FB.EPS_250.jpg

So, I completely overlooked that I need wireless on my build. Is an USB wireless adapter my only option if I'm using the Asus P8H77-I mobo?

mkenyon

Banned
900D on sale at Amazon I wonder if they are "sold out" because of it not being released or if it really is sold out. Any other outlets have preorders up for this? Really want to buy this right now, but mkenyon talking about the LD-7 so highly has me torn. I'm not sure if I want to pay 200 more bucks on a case though.
It's $100 more. $430 on FrozenCPU.
Is the G9x a better performer than the Storm Spawn? They look like they have similar ergonomics. I'm coming from a palm-style first gen MX 518 but I mouse with my fingertips primarily, so I think the claw-style should work well for me.
Nope. The sensor on the spawn is much better.
What I'm looking at so far for water cooling. It'll be a bit more with fittings, tubings, coolant and Titan blocks.

watercooling_zpsa606f250.png
Looks good! You'll need a metric shitton of fittings once you figure out your case and the loop.

Also, get some Durelene tubing from Sidewinder Computers. It's the only tubing that has good flex and doesn't stain.

haikira

In prep for Crysis 3 and having a few quid burning a hole in my pocket, i was thinking of doing a small upgrade on my computer. I'm contemplating going SLI with a second 670, though I've never had an SLI set up before, so was wondering what the advice would be? I'm also wondering if at this point, if it would be just better to wait and see what the next range of Nvidia cards are like?

Out of curiosity though. Looking at my specs below, what would you guys recommend as the best/more necessary upgrade?

• Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
  • Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
  • Asus P8P67 Pro R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 Graphics Card(2GB GDDR5, PCI-E)
  • G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

Thanks in advance.

In prep for Crysis 3 and having a few quid burning a hole in my pocket, i was thinking of doing a small upgrade on my computer. I'm contemplating going SLI with a second 670, though I've never had an SLI set up before, so was wondering what the advice would be? I'm also wondering if at this point, if it would be just better to wait and see what the next range of Nvidia cards are like?

Out of curiosity though. Looking at my specs below, what would you guys recommend as the best/more necessary upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have the cpu overclocked? You can overclock it around ~4.2 or higher easily with an aftermarket cooler.
You should invest getting an SSD as well. Dramatically shortens loading times in any application or game.
Other than that your build looks solid. Me thinks.

Smokey

Thanks in advance.

A ssd would really improve your PC experience. sli isn't worth it unless :

1. You play at a resolution higher than 1080
2. You have a 120Hz monitor and are trying to get as close to 120fps as possible.

Should also get a aftermarket cooler and over clock your cpu to an easy 4.4ghz by changing two numbers in bios.

haikira

Do you have the cpu overclocked? You can overclock it around ~4.2 or higher easily with an aftermarket cooler.
You should invest getting an SSD as well. Dramatically shortens loading times in any application or game.
Other than that your build looks solid. Me thinks.

I'm currently overclocked to 4. I was able to go a little higher, but i like to keep my temps very cool. I should definitely look into finally investing in an SSD.

I'm probably overreacting to not being able to max on Crysis 3 comfortably, in the beta. But i'm planning to format this week, plus the fact i'm sure there'll be drivers increasing performance before the retail release. I'm able to handle most other games perfectly well, so upgrading for just one game would be pretty stupid, i guess.

EDIT: This is my cooler.

http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic...o-rev-2-socket-775-1156-1155-1366-ac-frz-7pr2

It's much better than the stock cooler i had, but it doesn't get me to anything higher than 4ghz with what i'd call a comfortable temperature.

Also thanks to both of you for the responses.

Riggs

Banned
I'm currently overclocked to 4. I was able to go a little higher, but i like to keep my temps very cool. I should definitely look into finally investing in an SSD.

I'm probably overreacting to not being able to max on Crysis 3 comfortably, in the beta. But i'm planning to format this week, plus the fact i'm sure there'll be drivers increasing performance before the retail release. I'm able to handle most other games perfectly well, so upgrading for just one game would be pretty stupid, i guess.

My friend is running an extreme version of sandy bridge I7 at like 4+ ghz ... plus a 690. He says Crysis 3 beta runs like absolute shit. But only when turning on MSAA. Can you confrim this as well? He runs at like 2k+ reso but I still have a feeling 1080P with MSAA will give him trouble, haven't had him test it yet. I only have a GTX 680, need to try Crysis 3 and see how this sucker runs.

haikira

My friend is running an extreme version of sandy bridge I7 at like 4+ ghz ... plus a 690. He says Crysis 3 beta runs like absolute shit. But only when turning on MSAA. Can you confrim this as well? He runs at like 2k+ reso but I still have a feeling 1080P with MSAA will give him trouble, haven't had him test it yet. I only have a GTX 680, need to try Crysis 3 and see how this sucker runs.

I mostly experimented with the different forms of SMAA and TXAA. With MaLDo's config on the beta forum, which is roughly the game on high settings i think, i can get pretty much solid 60 on 1080p with SMAA medium. TXAA Medium is about 50-60.

When i tried flicking through the different MSAA settings, it certainly did tank performance for me.

sup everyone, i'm about to buy a new computer and need your help. i'm willing to spend about 900, maybe 1000. this is what i want here:

Case 1 x AZZA Solaris Gaming Case-Black
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-3550 Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)-Free Upgrade to Core i5-3570 Processor
Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
Memory 1 x 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module-G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti - 2GB
Power Supply 1 x 500 Watt - Standard
Processor Cooling 1 x Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155]-ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive-Black
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Speaker System 1 x Logitech S120 2.0 Speaker System
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse-Blood Red
Operating System 1 x None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee)-No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion 1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules
Subtotal $894.00

can i get something better for cheaper? or is this a good deal? i want it for gaming and converting video files to make custom bluray discs.

mkenyon

Banned
First LD PC-V7 build pic:

all the AMD bundles is making want to upgrade my 5830
It's a good time to upgrade.

EDIT: This is my cooler.

http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic...o-rev-2-socket-775-1156-1155-1366-ac-frz-7pr2

It's much better than the stock cooler i had, but it doesn't get me to anything higher than 4ghz with what i'd call a comfortable temperature.

Also thanks to both of you for the responses.
You could push your OC a bit further with a better heatsink. 1366 and 1155 are nearly identical clock for clock in terms of performance. About a 5% bump for Sandy, 10% for Ivy.
sup everyone, i'm about to buy a new computer and need your help. i'm willing to spend about 900, maybe 1000. this is what i want here:

can i get something better for cheaper? or is this a good deal? i want it for gaming and converting video files to make custom bluray discs.
Not a very good deal at all.

I don't know about SSDs, but 7950 is the best $300 card out there. I just ordered a Sapphire 7870 XT it was $260 with shipping. It's based off 7950 architecture. It has fewer Stream Processors, but it out performs the 7870ghz cards. I would say its right between a 660 and a 7950. Mine came with a $15 mail in rebate and Bioshock Infinite/Tomb Raider.

Considering this MOBO as a replacement

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130665

I like a lot of things about it but my current doesn't have PCI 3.0. One of the PCI slots is also faulty. Figured I'd invest in a new MOBO before I upgraded the GPU this year or next. I need something that will give my 2600K little to no problems. This one seemed good enough for the price. Anyone see any problems with this mobo or want to recommend another?

mkenyon

Banned
I'll be posting it up in the B/S/T thread tonight, but just as a heads up. I'll most likely (99% sure, but I'll need to stress it once back in stock form to make sure it works flawlessly) have a GTX670 FTW 4GB up for sale. $300 shipped to US48, extra to Canada.

Comes with an EK Waterblock and backplate ($120 value) if you want as well.

Considering this MOBO as a replacement

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130665

I like a lot of things about it but my current doesn't have PCI 3.0. One of the PCI slots is also faulty. Figured I'd invest in a new MOBO before I upgraded the GPU this year or next. I need something that will give my 2600K little to no problems. This one seemed good enough for the price. Anyone see any problems with this mobo or want to recommend another?
Motherboards are PCI-E 2/3 capable. The actual PCI-E controller is on the CPU. So, if you run a SB proc in a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard, then it's actually PCI-E 2.0.

Also your link says bad request.

kennah

Anyone have opinions on Gigabyte Z77 boards? I know there were issues with their previous generation. Looking at a Z77N-WIFI miniITX board because it's 50$ cheaper than alternatives.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have opinions on Gigabyte Z77 boards? I know there were issues with their previous generation. Looking at a Z77N-WIFI miniITX board because it's 50$ cheaper than alternatives.
It can't control voltage. Max OC is 4.2GHz and it automates voltage to get there.
How about now?
I'd suggest the ASRock Extreme 4 over that. Just about any of the motherboards in the OP will be great. Pick a price range and go for one.

*edit*

Why are Newegg's Canadian prices twice as high? Fricken ridiculous prices on those ASRock boards.

here is what i got:

i dunno what i'm doing. i would like it to be under 1000. i just picked some parts from the op. are all these compatible? will i have to solder anything? not sure if the power supply is too much. also how can i add this :
Internal Expansion 1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules

Yeah, I've been gaming on my CRT at 100hz and with the zero input lag there's no going back. I'll gladly sacrifice graphics for the ultra connected feel that comes with 120hz and input lag free gaming. Feels so good!!!

The new Asus VG248QE seems like a really good deal right now (around $300). 1ms gtg panel response, 120hz and LightBoost hack give you better than CRT motion clarity (trade off is that the colours/blacks suck!). Input lag supposed to be non-existent too although there is no hard data yet. The Benq XL2411T with the same panel reportedly has 0.001-frame input lag which is practically non-existent.

More info on the LightBoost hack for zero motion blur:
http://marky.com/backlight/lightboost-zero-motion-blur/

Heh I wonder how many of the people who will adapt this light boost thing to unshittify the motion clarity on their LCD used 'flicker' as an excuse to rationalise swapping to LCD years ago when the panels were still unbelievably bad.

M3z_

It can't control voltage. Max OC is 4.2GHz and it automates voltage to get there.

I'd suggest the ASRock Extreme 4 over that. Just about any of the motherboards in the OP will be great. Pick a price range and go for one.

*edit*

Why are Newegg's Canadian prices twice as high? Fricken ridiculous prices on those ASRock boards.

I'm guessing if he is looking at itx boards he needs an itx alternative. If you don't need an itx board, don't get one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BSOD = CPU overclock failure, could indeed be not enough voltage

Drivers fail & recovery , back to desktop = GPU overclock failure, too much speed on the core usually

first, make sure your CPU is 100% stable before you go overclocking the GPUs

in fact, it's always a good idea to run both CPU & GPU at stock settings and benchmark them for a couple of hours (Prime95 blend, Heaven 3.0) to make sure everything is working as intended

as for GPU overclocking, Heaven 3.0 is the ultimate tool ; any setting that was unstable for me would usually crash within 10 minutes of Heaven...

can you run 3Dmark stable with everything set to stock speeds ?
It isn't a stop 124, it's something with the GPU's. I have 1.4 volts on my 4.6ghz OC which is enough as I talked to 2 key people who have OC'd them. I will probably check and see about the older driver first then ask more questions.

I was having massive driver failures with 3.10.90. Have you tried going back to the .70 release and trying those? In fact, those same driver issues are why I decided to go and buy a new pc to build.

I will look into it.

scogoth

What's dinoc? I'm not that knowledgeable about watercooling.

It's just for looks. It's a vinyl wrap that looks like carbon fiber. Thats what I'm doing with all my CSQ blocks because I hate the circle look.

What fittings are you getting?

M3z_

here is what i got:

i dunno what i'm doing. i would like it to be under 1000. i just picked some parts from the op. are all these compatible? will i have to solder anything? not sure if the power supply is too much. also how can i add this :
Internal Expansion 1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules

You can swap out the 660ti for an Sapphire 7870 XT LE Taihiti card and save about $30 and still get equal if not better performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024

You would also get two game vouchers that you could keep or sell.

kennah

Yep. It is stupid. Canada computer and memory express and ncix are usually better up here. Though ncix has shipping and handljng service fees.

DJ_Lae

Because they can, I guess. I dunno, I've never seen any spectacular deals on Newegg.ca compared to NCIX or TigerDirect, their prices have been consistently high over the years.

They're one of the few sites that ship that Samsung memory in Canada, too, but they charge a ton for it. I couldn't go for 8GB of that Samsung stuff when 16GB of LP Vengeance was less.

Having a random issue with a rebuild yesterday. Just bought the Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard along with an i5 - connected everything and reinstalled Windows - but it's not recognizing my 7850. Once I opened it up I see that the card isn't even running. I have a modular PSU with one end plugged into the PSU and the other end plugged into the card. I tried to plug the card into both pcie slots on the mobo but to no avail.

What could I be missing? I'm going to check the connections again when I get home tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom