• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
XFX kind of dropped the ball with their coolers this go-round. The Double D coolers are actually louder than reference, unless there has been a revision.

mkenyon

Banned
N02%20Noise%20Gaming.png

The IceQ is pretty good. Are you EU or NA based? If the former, check into Club3D.

Keyouta

What are your guys' thoughts on the HAF XB cases? I'm looking to build a new PC this July, my current system will be 5 years old here soon.

Looking to put in an i7 or i5 Haswell. Also, since GPUs don't seem to be going anywhere, should I get a 680 4GB or some sort of 7970? Any specific brands for graphics cards that are recommended?

Salaadin

Guh, I hate this Haswell wait. I can pull the trigger on a new setup NOW or wait. The cruelty of fate! :D
Lol, me too. Ultimately, i think we are better off waiting but im so impatient!

Does noctua make a cpu cooler that isnt ugly? Their name keeps popping up in my searches but ugh....so ugly

DJ_Lae

XFX kind of dropped the ball with their coolers this go-round. The Double D coolers are actually louder than reference, unless there has been a revision.

My XFX 7970 has been pretty quiet so far, though I know it's the second or third revision and I don't know if they tweaked the fans at all.

Also haven't overclocked it yet, so it's possible the fan noise will become annoying at that point.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
As memory seems to be going back up in price I'm wondering whether its worth grabbing 16gb now rather than later, I have 8gb in my system currently, is 16gb going to be beneficial in anyway or in the near future?

Irobot82

As memory seems to be going back up in price I'm wondering whether its worth grabbing 16gb now rather than later, I have 8gb in my system currently, is 16gb going to be beneficial in anyway or in the near future?

Set up a RAM disk, put your favorite game on it..... or your internet cache. lol

Koroviev

This CM Storm Spawn is taking some getting used to. All the Logitech mice I've used in the past make the ring-finger rest feel kind of awkward. I need to get my mind around the idea of having my right click not at the far right edge of its surface.

Now every mouse that doesn't have the extra support feels inferior to me.

mkenyon

Banned
What websites will you be checking? I don't think that ASUS has an online store. I've only got EVGA and Newegg on my list of sites to try.
Going off the supposed rumors that is the release date. NVIDIA only does hard launches, so the reviews, product availability, and marketing all go up the same exact time.
I need a new headset guys! The ones recommended in the OP are kinda limited. I wanna hear what everyone has to say. :p
They're limited because good choices are limited. Those are the only products we feel confident enough to give our seal of approval. You'll get all sorts of good reviews on X, Y, and Z product, but they all have weird issues pretty much.
What are your guys' thoughts on the HAF XB cases? I'm looking to build a new PC this July, my current system will be 5 years old here soon.

Looking to put in an i7 or i5 Haswell. Also, since GPUs don't seem to be going anywhere, should I get a 680 4GB or some sort of 7970? Any specific brands for graphics cards that are recommended?
HAF XB is an amazing case if you like the aesthetic. One of the most feature rich out there with support for just about anything.

I lean towards AMD right now, especially if you are a tinkerer and like to OC. If you like PhysX, 3D, or need cuda development support, the 670/680 is a no brainer.

Smokey

Got my keyboard a day earlier than expected. Pay for 3 day shipping and get it in 2? I ain't mad. Keyboard looks really good in person.

I'm coming from a Razer Black Widow mechanical keyboard. Nothing was really wrong with it, but I felt like getting something new. The Black Widow features CherryMX Blue keys, while the 710+ features CherryMX brown.

There is an immediate difference between the two switches. These browns are really soft, don't have nearly as much "clickity" as the blues and are a a lot quieter than the blues. You still get some nice feedback from them, but there is a clear difference between the two switches. Not gonna lie...the clicking sound of the blues is addicting and once you get into a typing rhythm it sounds amazing. The browns don't have that type of gratification but are plenty good in their own way. Just wanted to put that out there for those who are thinking about hoping on the mechanical train. Haven't tried red or black switches, so maybe somebody else can chime in on those.

The 710+ has 6 macro keys that you can see on the left inside that lovely shade of orange. Up top there are 3 profile buttons that you can use. The entire keyboard is backlit as well. You can choose to backlight only WASD. Or All other keys but WASD. Or the entire keyboard (there are separate backlight buttons for WASD and the rest of the keyboard). The backlight for each has 4 different levels. There's also a USB port on the keyboard (up top) that you can use to charge your stuff.

I'm liking it so far. Didn't see this keyboard mentioned in the OP so I'd thought I'd give it a shout out here. As someone who have used blue switches up until this point it's an adjustment, but as I mentioned earlier the browns are sweet just in there own way! Any of the newcomers out there thinking about getting a mechanical, go for it. They may be a little more expensive but they are completely worth it.

scogoth

I lean towards AMD right now, especially if you are a tinkerer and like to OC. If you like PhysX, 3D, or need cuda development support, the 670/680 is a no brainer.

Just flashed the firmware on my cards. Nvidia says if you want to tinker then you have get down and dirty. None of this GUI over volting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm about to enable Physx support in Planetside?
Installing beta drivers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got my keyboard a day earlier than expected. Pay for 3 day shipping and get it in 2? I ain't mad. Keyboard looks really good in person.

I'm coming from a Razer Black Widow mechanical keyboard. Nothing was really wrong with it, but I felt like getting something new. The Black Widow features CherryMX Blue keys, while the 710+ features CherryMX brown.

The 710+ has 6 macro keys that you can see on the left inside that lovely shade of orange. Up top there are 3 profile buttons that you can use. The entire keyboard is backlit as well. You can choose to backlight only WASD. Or All other keys but WASD. Or the entire keyboard (there are separate backlight buttons for WASD and the rest of the keyboard). The backlight for each has 4 different levels. There's also a USB port on the keyboard (up top) that you can use to charge your stuff.

I'm liking it so far. Didn't see this keyboard mentioned in the OP so I'd thought I'd give it a shout out here. As someone who have used blue switches up until this point it's an adjustment, but as I mentioned earlier the browns are sweet just in there own way! Any of the newcomers out there thinking about getting a mechanical, go for it. They may be a little more expensive but they are completely worth it.
Ugly as sin. Glad you like it though :D

XB is alright. If you like it go for it.
Wait until you build to pick. nVidia might be dropping prices by then, or one company will have a better free game promotion.
are Asus VH238H pretty good monitors for gaming? theres a sell running on them at Newegg
Yeah it's fine.

multivac

Does anyone think we may see price drops or sales from either company once the Titan comes out? Was there anything similar when, for example, the 690 released? I'm just worried about buying a pair of 7970s now and having them drop in price so soon, but I would prefer not to miss the Never Settle bundle.

iavi

Listening to tech report podcast right now, Scott Wasson says that AMD has confirmed there will be a patch relatively soon with a new memory management piece for all GCN based chips which will mean a general performance increase across all DX10/11 titles.

So awesome.

So, so awesome. I had the feeling big things were going to come from a rewrite.

Now, how big a performance increase are we talking here.

Momentary

Banned
Going off the supposed rumors that is the release date. NVIDIA only does hard launches, so the reviews, product availability, and marketing all go up the same exact time.

Yeah I was reading about the release date on Anandtech forums. But what I was wondering is if ASUS has an online store I don't know about. ASUS and EVGA are the only 2 that will have cards available and I was wondering if there is a site that usually gets ASUS cards before anyone else so I can f5 there.

Hanzou

I have an XFX Double D 7870 at 1100/1300 and the fan never goes above 55%, and there is almost no noise difference between idle at 37% and the 55%, once it hits 60% though it starts to scream. The cooling is not that great thought to be honest I think. I have good case air flow and it tops out at 72 degrees max depending on the game.

iavi

This Sapphire 7950 is so funky. With a small voltage bump it easily does a stable OC of 1200gpu/1350me with temps never above 60c, but the settings, they never stick. Eventually starting to throttle down to 850mhz.

Weird thing is, if you get a game/instance going, tab out to check gpuz, and see that the OC is holding as it should, it'll hold the whole time you're playing, and then some at times. After that, maybe even a couple instances after that, it'll begin to throttle down as soon as you start another instance--to 850mhz with sparks of the OC clocks, which is even lower than the factory clock. If I want it to work again, I have to reset the clocks back to factory defaults and then set again.

Really, really weird, and I can't pinpoint the issue. I've read that it's just how some boost bioses work, but it's weird. Luckily, it works much more than it doesn't, so I'm not really finding it all that bad, especially when performance is so nuts when it is working.

Lesson learned, though: only buy cards with static clocks, if there is such a thing.

PC GAF, my aging trusty PC is dying, I know for sure the mother board is starting fail, every now and then the computer just won't turn on.
I only want to replace MOBO, proccessor and RAM, since I have a radeon HD 6950 that's more than enought to run todays games still.
I am looking to replace a mobo with 4GB of Ram and a old but trusty q6600 overclocked at 3ghz.

I am out of the loop when it comes to new MOBOs, CPUs and RAM, I haven't upgraded those in years while I upgraded my videocard like 3 times.

Ideally I'd want 8GB of ram? a good overcloakable MOBO with a good overcloackable CPU.
I am in Canada BTW

Thanks!

Koroviev

PC GAF, my aging trusty PC is dying, I know for sure the mother board is starting fail, every now and then the computer just won't turn on.
I only want to replace MOBO, proccessor and RAM, since I have a radeon HD 6950 that's more than enought to run todays games still.
I am looking to replace a mobo with 4GB of Ram and a old but trusty q6600 overclocked at 3ghz.

I am out of the loop when it comes to new MOBOs, CPUs and RAM, I haven't upgraded those in years while I upgraded my videocard like 3 times.

Ideally I'd want 8GB of ram? How a good overcloakable MOBO with a good overcloackable CPU.
I am in Canada BTW

Thanks!

i5 3570K + Asrock Z77 Pro 3 + 8GB of RAM

Salaadin

That guide in the OP about fan placement is very interesting. Im surprised someone actually went through all that testing. Mad props to them.
Im looking to get some extra fans for the R4 so I can have it all ready to go but it seems like everyone has a different opinion but no one has any results to back it up. That guide actually gives me a good idea now.
Now I just need to decide on a CPU cooler that wont interfere with a side fan.

i5 3570K + Asrock Z77 Pro 3 + 8GB of RAM

awesome, 444 canadian bucks from newegg, I am guessing even at stock speeds I will be seeing a significant increase in speed right? how is the overclockabilty on that processor? can I just go into bios and bumb the specs a little with the stock fan? q6600 was such an easier over clocker that I might be spoiled by it.

kennah

awesome, 444 canadian bucks from newegg, I am guessing even at stock speeds I will be seeing a significant increase in speed right? how is the overclockabilty on that processor? can I just go into bios and bumb the specs a little with the stock fan? q6600 was such an easier over clocker that I might be spoiled by it.
Add a hyper 212 fan and you can get up to 4.2-4.4 easily. Just multiplier and voltage. These cpus are easier to overclock than the q6600

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
lol like I said, last time I did a research was when I bought my q6600.

So I am going with this thanks to Koroviev

upgradeyib1a.jpg

wish me luck

If you can, find some of the Samsung memory. It OC's well into the 2000mhz range and used less power. The GSKILL memory is solid but it doesn't budge in the OC department. Also, the heatspreader can be a little intrusive depending on how you will cool your CPU.

Either way, those are nice parts but at the least, get a Hyper 212 Evo if not an H60.

On a separate note

The OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC is on a shell shocker at Newegg right now for 120. A good deal for that SSD.

scogoth

Wait, I have that card, what does it mean and how risky is it?

I can get the max 1.175v right now with the unlock via MSI. How much is a safe overvolt on these things? I can only get around 60mhz on the core and 200 on the memory right now. I don't really care about the memory as much as the core OC.

Safe? The depends on how long you want your cards to last. Its hard to say how overvolting will affect them over the long run but with adequate cooling it should last. I have my cards at 1.2125V and the core up to 1302MHz from 1099. I can run some games at 1318 but crashes during BF3 and 3Dmark.

GPU Core temps are at 50C but that under water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom