• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
Question, how much of a difference is there between a reference card and a non reference card? I've been thinking of getting the Gigabyte version of the Radeon HD 7970 instead of the reference version, is it worth it?

I had a reference GTX 660 from EVGA and now a GTX 670 Windforce from Gigabyte. The sound difference is night and day!!

GCNemesis

For the sake of $10 I'd upgrade your PSU to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd also get a 660 Ti with a better cooler too, I've the same one with a 7770 and it's not bad, but it's not great either, for a fairly high spec GPU. Also worth noting too with the 660 and 660 Ti you'll only be able to use 1.5GB VRAM due to the 192 bit memory bus. As an alternative to the 660 Ti there is the 7870 XT from AMD which is a pretty good buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024 You'll not go wrong with either card though.

For what reason would you want the 8800 in the build for?

Thanks for the information. So a 550W PSU would be enough for that build/level of GPU? I just had the 660 Ti in there as a possibility due to the sale, but I'm not stuck on getting that card. The 8800 is simply a transitional placeholder in the short-term until I gather up enough cash to get a new GPU. Is the 7870 XT the best in the range of ~$250 GPUs or would it make more sense to save more and jump up to the $300 range?

Thanks for your help!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hazaro or somebody. How do I unlock the full usage of my ram again? My former SSD was pretty small so I had to allocate a so so amount of space to the ram but now that I have way more storage space than needed I want to allocate the full potential.

kharma45

Thanks for the information. So a 550W PSU would be enough for that build/level of GPU? I just had the 660 Ti in there as a possibility due to the sale, but I'm not stuck on getting that card. The 8800 is simply a transitional placeholder in the short-term until I gather up enough cash to get a new GPU. Is the 7870 XT the best in the range of ~$250 GPUs or would it make more sense to save more and jump up to the $300 range?

Thanks for your help!

550w is plenty for any single GPU on sale with room to spare, and it can deliver 650w at full load so it has plenty to give. That's also an 80+ Gold unit and it's very quiet.

Ah yeah then the 8800 will slot in fine. 7870 XT is the best of that range imo, and it depends on whether you can justify the costs in jumping up, both with your own budget and what you're planning to do.

Zeth

Installing my first SSD this weekend. There's not a whole lot on my primary HDD, just built rig a few weeks ago. Should I just install Win 7 fresh on the SSD and go from there? Reformat the storage drive?

I bought a Physical copy of Windows 7 with this rig, how does activation work if I need to move to SSD?

iavi

The Crucial M4 256Gb is going for $193 on Amazon right now. A few days ago, the SanDisk Extreme 240Gb was on sale for $160 after MIR, which i bit on :D

It's not really that far discounted from MSRP but this drive is fantastic for a >$200 240gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167128

Aside from the obvious performance benifits of SSD's, Intel SSD toolbox is my favorite thing about having an SSD.

I was going to bite on the Crucial (I already have one M4 and am damn satisfied with its performance) till I saw the Samsung 840 250gb for 170... I know the lifespan issue surrounding the 840 pros vs non-pro, but honestly, 5~6 years from now we'll all be in the matrix downloading directly to the dome, figuratively speaking. I'll probably have long moved on before then.

kennah

I was going to bite on the Crucial (I already have one M4 and am damn satisfied with its performance) till I saw the Samsung 840 250gb for 170... I know the lifespan issue surrounding the 840 pros vs non-pro, but honestly, 5~6 years from now we'll all be in the matrix downloading directly to the dome, figuratively speaking. I'll probably have long moved on before then.

The 250s are fine for 10 years or more, it's the 120s that have a problem.

ZetaEpyon

So, I need to look at addressing my storage server in the near future. The OS drive now has a bunch of reallocated sectors, the thing is nearly full to capacity, and the storage drives are nearing the end of their warranties. My current server is running WHS v1 using its storage pooling, and 6x2TB Hitachi drives (was 7, one has already failed). The 12TB pool is 93% full, but it's used pretty inefficiently, since the only redundancy that WHS v1 offers is duplication. I also have a bunch of crap on there right now that really doesn't need to be there.

I'd considered going with a serious Solaris/ZFS system, but I think keeping it relatively small and simple will suit my needs better and help to keep costs down. It's primarily a media server, and the majority of the content I have backed up externally already, so I'm thinking that some form of snapshot RAID will be sufficient (SnapRaid, FlexRaid, etc.)

What are your thoughts on the following build?

Intel Core i3-3220
ASUS P8H77-I
Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Fractal Design Node 304/BitFenix Prodigy
SeaSonic S12II 430B
Intel X25-M 80GB (system, already have)
5x WD Red 3TB

The 12TB usable space (factoring in parity) sounds like a lateral move, but it'll be used quite a bit more efficiently, and my usage doesn't grow all that fast.

So, I need to look at addressing my storage server in the near future. The OS drive now has a bunch of reallocated sectors, the thing is nearly full to capacity, and the storage drives are nearing the end of their warranties. My current server is running WHS v1 using its storage pooling, and 6x2TB Hitachi drives (was 7, one has already failed). The 12TB pool is 93% full, but it's used pretty inefficiently, since the only redundancy that WHS v1 offers is duplication. I also have a bunch of crap on there right now that really doesn't need to be there.

I'd considered going with a serious Solaris/ZFS system, but I think keeping it relatively small and simple will suit my needs better and help to keep costs down. It's primarily a media server, and the majority of the content I have backed up externally already, so I'm thinking that some form of snapshot RAID will be sufficient (SnapRaid, FlexRaid, etc.)

What are your thoughts on the following build?

Intel Core i3-3220
ASUS P8H77-I
Samsung 2x4GB DDR3-1600
Fractal Design Node 304/BitFenix Prodigy
SeaSonic S12II 430B
Intel X25-M 80GB (system, already have)
5x WD Red 3TB

The 12TB usable space (factoring in parity) sounds like a lateral move, but it'll be used quite a bit more efficiently, and my usage doesn't grow all that fast.

Question for you. Instead of going with a PC for your storage, why not look at a NAS from Synology (DS1512+) or QNAP (TS-669L-US)? Obviously unless you're dead set on using WHS a NAS would be the easier route.

cackhyena

Can someone tell me why in the OP it says by the optical drive stuff to use a 4gb usb for one and 8 for the other? Also, any recommendations for a blu ray drive? I didn't see them in the OP.

JoseDFrog

Banned
I'm not sure how many people here frequent the Buy/Sell thread so I figured I'd post this here. Selling an MSI GTX 670 reference design (purchased from BeEatNU) for $275 shipped in the US. PM if your interested.

Anton668

Can someone tell me why in the OP it says by the optical drive stuff to use a 4gb usb for one and 8 for the other? Also, any recommendations for a blu ray drive? I didn't see them in the OP.

so as to not have a optical drive at all. using USB drives to instal/boot disc for win

bluray player or burner?

ZetaEpyon

Question for you. Instead of going with a PC for your storage, why not look at a NAS from Synology (DS1512+) or QNAP (TS-669L-US)? Obviously unless you're dead set on using WHS a NAS would be the easier route.

I'm not tied to WHS at all (or even Windows, really), but it comes down mostly to cost and flexibility.

The cost of either of those NAS solutions (without drives) is approaching the cost of the machine that I posted including drives, while giving me somewhat slower hardware and fewer options for expansion (although the mobo/case combos I listed would be minimally expandable as well). So in terms of ease, yeah, those are obviously the simplest. Definitely not the cheapest though.

Plus, there's just something more fun about building a server. If not, I wouldn't be in this thread, right? :)

My build!

mybuild.jpg

You missed my edit - that's a 2.5" hard drive you have there. Slower than regular desktop ones.

I think you meant to get this.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40551

Or if you don't need a ton ton of space - get a small SSD and I'll give you a 320gig 7200 RPM drive :p

I did catch it, you saved me some work to cancel the order! :)

Thanks! I'd gladly take a 320 gig off your hands, i'm don't need much room to start. I'm sure i'll expand later, also SSD are pretty interesting to me.

kennah

I did catch it, you saved me some work to cancel the order! :)

Thanks! I'd gladly take a 320 gig off your hands, i'm don't need much room to start. I'm sure i'll expand later, also SSD are pretty interesting to me.

It's yours under the condition that you buy an SSD. We're trying to save the world here, one mechanical drive at a time.

Also, when you go into MemEx Try to price match your video card with this one from ncix.

289 at ncix http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67546&vpn=GV-R795WF3-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1312

It's yours under the condition that you buy an SSD. We're trying to save the world here, one mechanical drive at a time.

Also, when you go into MemEx Try to price match your video card with this one from ncix.

289 at ncix http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67546&vpn=GV-R795WF3-3GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1312

Haha you are awesome man, any suggestions? I'll gladly also pay for that drive of yours! :)

EDIT: Thanks! I am actually just printing this cart out and bringing it into the store to pick up, going to smart phone new egg and nxic to make sure I get the best possible prices.

kennah

Haha you are awesome man, any suggestions? I'll gladly also pay for that drive of yours! :)

If you can scrape up the extra few bucks get this

128gig crucial m4 for 120
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35603

If you can't, get the 64gig version
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33417

Don't buy the OCZ that is $10 cheaper

And your money is no good here. I need to lose a couple drives due to moving to a smaller case and any chance to help out a gaffer is fine by me.

Edit: Shopbot.ca is your friend, I just ran through all your items and that's the only one that came up cheaper.

If you can scrape up the extra few bucks get this

128gig crucial m4 for 120
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35603

If you can't, get the 64gig version
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33417

Don't buy the OCZ that is $10 cheaper

And your money is no good here. I need to lose a couple drives due to moving to a smaller case and any chance to help out a gaffer is fine by me.

Edit: Shopbot.ca is your friend, I just ran through all your items and that's the only one that came up cheaper.

You sir are a saint, it's daunting and exciting to get back into the PC building game. It's always reassuring to have some help from a fellow builder!

Anton668

so I am now reminded of a problem I have with my old gskill ram.

sometimes, mostly from boot, I get a BSOD. so, pull out both sticks, install 1, boots fine. switch to other stick, boots fine. lastly, reinstall both.. and system boots up and runs till the next time. fuckin weird

ETA: been running the sammy ram on the board for months now and never had a problem.

mkenyon

Banned
so I am now reminded of a problem I have with my old gskill ram.

sometimes, mostly from boot, I get a BSOD. so, pull out both sticks, install 1, boots fine. switch to other stick, boots fine. lastly, reinstall both.. and system boots up and runs till the next time. fuckin weird

ETA: been running the sammy ram on the board for months now and never had a problem.
Have you tried running error checks on it?
I am, that's why I'm offering the help :p
You're awesome. :p

Bleeether

So I've had my new rig running for a few weeks now. Everything is running solid, so now i want to dabble in oc the cpu and gpu for a stable 24/7 clock. I have no experience doing this at all, but i am quiet confident i can figure it out if i have the right guides to teach me.

So i have found these two guides for my P8z77 mobo and gtx 670, and wanted to ask you experts if these are solid to rely on???

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

Thanks

Bumping again, are these guides Legit??

I need to squeeze out some more Powahhh

Salaadin

Buying case fans is harder than it seems. Find something good, its ugly. Find something nice, its not as good. Im tempted to just grab some extra fractal r2s to match whats already installed.

mkenyon

Banned
It can seem so at first, but it's actually really easy. Kind of like building PCs. It's all about understanding the jargon.

I think the #1 issue is the disjointed nature of the information regarding it. I had to basically scour forums and Martin's Liquid Lab for about a year before I finally put it all together. If you have any questions, please do feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom