• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

In a choice between gigabyte wind force and msi twin frozr, which 680 do you choose? Have the msi in hands right now because I liked my previous twin frozr, but i don't see a huge difference between the two.

I would check reviews, but I don't think you can lose on that one.

No love for my monitor query? :/ Need to order it pronto

Sorry bro, not a display expert :(

I donated my old computer to my parents since it's a lot faster than their old one. However, the graphics card is really loud (it's a crappy version with a single small fan). Can anyone recommend a good alternative that is silent and cheap? It will mostly be used to for browsing the internet and Microsoft Office, but my dad occasionally wants to try to play a game.

Current specs:
• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz
• GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
• RAM: 4GB
• SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB

A friend of mine is trying to get rid of a brand new ASUS Radeon HD7850 2GB DirectCU II so I could probably get that for a bit below market price. Would that be a waste of money? All forms of advice are appreciated.

Overclock that Phenom!

In a choice between gigabyte wind force and msi twin frozr, which 680 do you choose? Have the msi in hands right now because I liked my previous twin frozr, but i don't see a huge difference between the two.
MSI
Gigabyte

Purely based in these reviews, I'd say it doesn't really matter. It looks like the MSI is slightly better, but Gigabyte has a $20 rebate on Newegg.

GHG

Gold Member
Ah alright I will look into the Evo 212 and Xigmatek and Zalman again, thank you! Honestly the main reason I went for a TX3 instead of the Evo 212 for myself was me watching Youtube installation videos from the 212 and I thought "Oh dear I will never manage to install this thing without breaking something..." and the TX3 had the default AMD mounting bracket :p

As for the PSU, I will look around for a Antec and see if I can find one somewhere else as my usual shops list "Delivery date unknown" for them :(

And if I can squeeze some more money out somewhere I would be willing to look for another case but he explicitly told me that the case should be a afterthought aslong as it cools "okay" and that I rather should add more power into the PC.

And since I want to get the order out today, lets simplify my main concern a bit, what would net him better performance on the long run: i5 + GTX 660 or Phenom II + GTX 660 Ti?

Most of my friends seem to opt for a i5 + GTX 660 and I believe them but you can never have too many opinions so please give me your opinions on this GAF as I have to place the order ideally in the next four hours!

660 + i5 is the superior combo and that combination will get better frames in most games.

In any case, the difference between the standard 660 and the Ti is minimal and can be overcome with a minor overclock.

Zeth

Ok, popped out MSI 660Ti, putting in MSI 680. Should I start from scratch with drivers, or am I good to go? Are the drivers different?

I have found the 7750 in my HTPC to be surprising capable as far as gaming goes. Even though on paper it wasn't supposed to be that much stronger than the 4870 it replaced it felt like a massive upgrade in both framerate and frame smoothness. It also does not require any PCIE power connections (Not that that's a problem if you already have a 4890 in there). Specifically what games does your dad play?
Besides the original Call of Duty it's mostly golf, music, and racing games. I got him a PS3 a few years ago so that might be enough for him.

Overclock that Phenom!
I'm using the stock fan, IIRC.

Shambles

Besides the original Call of Duty it's mostly golf, music, and racing games. I got him a PS3 a few years ago so that might be enough for him.

In that case I'd say find a 7750 on sale. The 7850 isn't a bad card either but your dad probably wouldn't even notice the difference so why spend the cash.

Shambles

What about an Asus Radeon EAH6450 Silent 1GB? Would its comparably low performance affect non-gaming activities?

It is fine for your average desktop browsing/email/netflix stuff but even for light gaming I wouldn't bother with it (Keep in mind that review is for the 6450 with GDDR5, many 6450 cards use much slower DDR3 memory). Going from a 6450 to a 7750 will roughly triple your performance for about double the price. The very low end and high end GPUs typically have very poor price/performance ratios. The 7750-7850 range is usually the best bang for your buck.

Edit: Looking around it seems like there aren't any GDDR5 models available. It's probably more like 4x/5x performance for approximately twice the cost. This will probably paint a better picture of how terrible the 6450 is. Although this review does use a DDR3 model it is underclocked a bit as it has a passive cooler.

I donated my old computer to my parents since it's a lot faster than their old one. However, the graphics card is really loud (it's a crappy version with a single small fan). Can anyone recommend a good alternative that is silent and cheap? It will mostly be used to for browsing the internet and Microsoft Office, but my dad occasionally wants to try to play a game.

Current specs:
• CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 3 GHz
• GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4890
• RAM: 4GB
• SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB

A friend of mine is trying to get rid of a brand new ASUS Radeon HD7850 2GB DirectCU II so I could probably get that for a bit below market price. Would that be a waste of money? All forms of advice are appreciated.

I had a 4870 and there was a setting you can turn on to turn down the fan speed equaling less noise if you don't want to spend any money.

Zeth

New gpu is up and running, but since I put it in my rear USB 2 ports aren't working. Checked to see if I knocked something but came up with nothing. Just got my Storm Spawn today but I need to plug it into the front panel for it to work at the moment.

Rerouted some wires while I was in the R4 today, will post pics later. Some might be surprised it's an improvement, but it really is heh.

I had a 4870 and there was a setting you can turn on to turn down the fan speed equaling less noise if you don't want to spend any money.
Yeah, I've tried doing that and I suppose it would help when playing games. My main issue is that the card is like 40-50 dB when idling in Windows. With the AMD VISION Engine Control Center it's easy to reduce the clock rate, but I don't have any direct control over fan speeds.

Shambles

Yeah, I've tried doing that and I suppose it would help when playing games. My main issue is that the card is like 40-50 dB when idling in Windows. With the AMD VISION Engine Control Center it's easy to reduce the clock rate, but I don't have any direct control over fan speeds.

There are several third party utilities you can use to set manual fan profiles, set voltage and clock rates. There are others but I usually roll with MSI afterburner. If it's just the idle fan noise that bothers you it shouldn't be a problem to set a profile to let it idle hot with low fan speed.

Saty

I'm starting to question my plan of 3570K +Z77 board upgrade. Hanswell being around the corner and there being no future 1155 processors would probably mean that next time i'll need to upgrade the CPU (3-4 years?) i would need to change the mobo as well. I doubt getting i7 then would be much of an upgrade.

Any insight?

Koroviev

I'm starting to question my plan of 3570K +Z77 board upgrade. Hanswell being around the corner and there being no future 1155 processors would probably mean that next time i'll need to upgrade the CPU (3-4 years?) i would need to change the mobo as well. I doubt getting i7 then would be much of an upgrade.

Any insight?

Do you need an i7? Can you get a good deal on one?

bro1

Banned

Any insight?

We don't know how Haswell will perform nor do we know how it will OC. Also, you almost always upgrade your mobo with your CPU.

Threi

notag
Tom's Hardware revised their budget CPU comparison:

Average.png

Intel still on top, but its a lot closer than before, they can't explain why (also frame latency is factored in this time)

Ty4on

That might cause it to melt though. It'd be easier to just replace it with something else.

Clean dust! Many like to keep their hardware cool, but I doubt there would be any problem if it hit like 80 on load. Also don't be afraid to make the fan spool down when it is cold. At fan speed "0%" (more like 1100RPM) my 7870 will never go much above 30 at idle and the actual fan speed doesn't ramp up at any non gaming load. The fan is inaudiable with the other fans running (PSU and CPU). Why the fan needed to be at 30% at 30C with the stock fan profile is beyond me.

mkenyon

Banned
Posted a thread about frame latency - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47626477#post47626477
Tom's Hardware revised their budget CPU comparison:

Average.png

Intel still on top, but its a lot closer than before, they can't explain why (also frame latency is factored in this time)
Yeah, the testing methodology in that review is totally wonky. They look at 95th percentile frame times, which tosses out all of interesting data where AMD processors fail hard. Either the person who did the testing wanted to cover that data up, or he's incapable of understanding why it's important to include it. This one was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me concerning any respect for Tom's.

Hey some help would be useful PC gaf :)

So because I want to get an Haswell machine in June I'm upgrading my RAM I now have 6 and added 6 more.

But its not recognized by Windows 7 64 bit :(

I already googled and gone to msconfig and looked at the memory maximum (it was already unchecked).

so here are my specs:

intel iCORE 7 920 2.66 ghz (first icore no sandy or ivy bridge).
12 gigs of RAM DDR3 (now 6 working I guess).
Motherboard
AMD 5850 HD
Curser M4 128 gig ssd

So I'll post the ram specs but I need to open op the case etc so I'll post them in a bit.

Thanks in advance PC GAF :)

660 + i5 is the superior combo and that combination will get better frames in most games.

In any case, the difference between the standard 660 and the Ti is minimal and can be overcome with a minor overclock.

Thank you that's all I wanted to know! :) I ordered everything now and added a EVO 212. I hope this goes well as the last Intel CPU I mounted was a Pentium 4 1.8ghz Non-HT... :p

Akai__

Hey some help would be useful PC gaf :)

So because I want to get an Haswell machine in June I'm upgrading my RAM I now have 6 and added 6 more.

But its not recognized by Windows 7 64 bit :(

I already googled and gone to msconfig and looked at the memory maximum (it was already unchecked).

so here are my specs:

intel iCORE 7 920 2.66 ghz (first icore no sandy or ivy bridge).
12 gigs of RAM DDR3 (now 6 working I guess).
Motherboard
AMD 5850 HD
Curser M4 128 gig ssd

So I'll post the ram specs but I need to open op the case etc so I'll post them in a bit.

Thanks in advance PC GAF :)

Your motherboard probably doesn't support 12GB of RAM. Is it a pre-built PC or self-build?

Edit: My Medion motherboard :)lol) supports only 8GB of RAM.

kennah

Your motherboard probably doesn't support 12GB of RAM. Is it a pre-built PC or self-build?

Supports 24gig according to the manual.

But it also says it supports 1.5v not 1.6v. So we're gonna need that case cracked open and exact model numbers of the ram friend!

Salaadin

What is up with NCIXs shipping? I ordered the case an hour ago and just got a shipment notice complete with tracking numbers. Thats insane!

A few questions:

Im pulling this from memory so details might be spotty but, iirc, when I got my SSD a few years back, I had to install AHCI drivers before installing windows. A lot of the current guides Im looking at make no mention of this. Not necessary anymore?

Still recommended to keep 10-15% of an SSD free?

Any new SSDs on the horizon that would cause current prices to drop in the next 4 months or is whats out now basically it for a while?

Haswell is bringing minor performance increases but better heat and power consumption, right? We dont really have any early specs or benchs to go by yet? I know its way early but I thought Id ask anyways.
When can we expect to see these?

iavi

Haswell is poised to launch in the beginning of June. I suspect we'll see benches pop up a lil' bit before then.

SSD's are increasingly becoming better value buys, with the frequent deals to be had. Though, there's nothing on the horizon that'll cause a marked drop in prices aside from tech maturity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Supports 24gig according to the manual.

But it also says it supports 1.5v not 1.6v. So we're gonna need that case cracked open and exact model numbers of the ram friend!
Thanks for the help and suggestions gaf!

Found the problem new RAM was not pushed in hard enough! :D
So pushed it in harder (that always terrifies me about pc building). And it worked!

And now windows says 12 gigs of RAM.
Thanks again everyone!

PS its self build.

GOD I can not wait to get the new intel chip and building a new pc in june its going to be one epic month pc gaming.

kennah

Haswell is poised to launch in the beginning of June. I suspect we'll see benches pop up a lil' bit before then.

SSD's are increasingly becoming better value buys, with the frequent deals to be had. Though, there's nothing on the horizon that'll cause a marked drop in prices aside from tech maturity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a 1TB coming out for $600 in the next couple months, but other than that nothing amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom