• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Haswell is poised to launch in the beginning of June. I suspect we'll see benches pop up a lil' bit before then.

SSD's are increasingly becoming better value buys, with the frequent deals to be had. Though, there's nothing on the horizon that'll cause a marked drop in prices aside from tech maturity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks and thanks.

I got lots of time to watch for deals then. Im hoping to grab a 256GB 840 Pro on sale.

When we start getting Haswell news, will we also start seeing news about mobos that support it? One of my biggest current PC problems is my older mobo...I actually think I want a new mobo more than a CPU so thats what Im looking forward to the most.

JayDub

Question:

Why are the AMD cards recommended over nVidia cards?

On every single forum, everyone recommends the AMD cards, but from every benchmark, the nVidia cards out-perform them. Wasn't the 670 on par with the 7970? Real world performance, nVidia wins?

Im seriously curious. Is it because you can OC the AMD cards? You can OC a 7970 to match the 680..but you can also get the SC/FTW version of the 670 to do the same.

Going with this build I think, for $1123.85 (not building myself):

Any last minute suggestions/concerns:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H (Intel Z77, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR3)
8GB (4GBx2) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz Lifetime Warranty
120GB SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW SATA3 SSD
24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW w/LG Burning Software
2GB ATI Radeon HD7870 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
NXZT Source 210 Elite White (3 5.25, 8 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0
600watt Corsair CMPSU-600CX V2 80 PLUS CERTIFIED

NoRéN

Question:

On every single forum, everyone recommends the AMD cards, but from every benchmark, the nVidia cards out-perform them. Wasn't the 670 on par with the 7970? Real world performance, nVidia wins?

Im seriously curious. Is it because you can OC the AMD cards? You can OC a 7970 to match the 680..but you can also get the SC/FTW version of the 670 to do the same.

a page back or so:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47605054&postcount=3153

Is this a good thread to ask about set top streaming solutions such as Roku? I don't think I'm looking to build an HTPC - I just want to be able to use Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu etc. and use Chrome (if possible)

Having the ability to use my Logitech wireless keyboard would be nice as well. Big plus if I can shut the TV off via a remote of some sort (lost my TV remote in a move)

kharma45

Question:

What benches are you looking at?

perfrel.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/23.html

MajorGravy

Neo Member
So now that consoles are using AMD cpu do you think that PC games will be optimized with the latest Vishira AMD chips? aka is it worth upgrading to an 8350 from an Athlon II? or just start a new Intel build with Haswell?

I just got fired from Aria PC, so, err, don't buy from those guys? :p (I survived four weeks as their counter monkey).

Or at least don't go in to collect stuff from the counter. Their entire system is a botch.

EDIT: Obviously not all that serious about not buying from them, but I definitely cannot recommend them given the bonkers way that company is run internally.

Grumbul

Going with this build I think, for $1123.85 (not building myself):

Any last minute suggestions/concerns:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H (Intel Z77, 3xPCI-E, 8xSATA, 4xDDR3)
8GB (4GBx2) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz Lifetime Warranty
120GB SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW SATA3 SSD
24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW w/LG Burning Software
2GB ATI Radeon HD7870 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI (Major Brand)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
NXZT Source 210 Elite White (3 5.25, 8 3.5) 2 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0
600watt Corsair CMPSU-600CX V2 80 PLUS CERTIFIED

I believe you'd be better opting for the 840 Pro series Samsung SSD (or an 830 series if you can find one). The standard 840 drives use TLC NAND so you'll see reduced write speeds as well as longevity with that drive.

I believe you'd be better opting for the 840 Pro series Samsung SSD (or an 830 series if you can find one). The standard 840 drives use TLC NAND so you'll see reduced write speeds as well as longevity with that drive.

From what I read the differences in SSDs are so minute you only notice with a stopwatch.

The 128GB 840 Pro is $51 more - do you think it's worth it?

mkenyon

Banned
Question:

AMD's drivers, in the common discourse of what makes them 'lol' worthy, are great. The haters are generally holding on to arguments that existed years ago with the 4xxx series. It just became kind of a thing 'lol ATI drivers', and as a result, internet communities suffered from confirmation bias.

They both still have their ups and downs. NVIDIA will generally provide a more smooth experience. AMD will get you numbers and destroys NVIDIA when it comes to multi-card/multi-monitor setups. NVIDIA gives you a frame of input for every additional card in SLI, but AMD is still fairly rife with microstutter.

But, when you are just comparing cards in similar price brackets, NVIDIA just gets stomped all over right now. 7850 is the clear budget pick. 7870 LE is the best bang for the buck on the market. The 7950 suits multiple resolutions and can be clocked to the nines. 7970s can walk all over 680s with a +400MHz core clock OC while NVIDIA shuts off their users from even adjusting voltage. The 7990 is a good bit more powerful than the 690.
in summary:

@ $300
  • nVidia > AMD
  • AMD releases Driver update
  • AMD > nVidia
  • People learn about frame latency
  • nVidia > AMD
  • Price drops for AMD
  • nVidia = AMD
  • AMD releases DEM DRIVERS along with steep price cuts
  • AMD >> nVidia

tl;dr, the benches you are looking at are outdated.

Here you guys go! :)

Please do not mind the dust I just do not have time for that, I clean the inside about once a year, so I guess that will be in June this year when I'm building my pc.

pc1l7u3r.jpg

pc2h2ufg.jpg

pc3r1uf3.jpg

pc4j1uau.jpg

pc5mquk0.jpg

pc60quwr.jpg

pc7szuo9.jpg

pc8t1u06.jpg

pc9nlurx.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Is this a good thread to ask about set top streaming solutions such as Roku? I don't think I'm looking to build an HTPC - I just want to be able to use Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu etc. and use Chrome (if possible)

Having the ability to use my Logitech wireless keyboard would be nice as well. Big plus if I can shut the TV off via a remote of some sort (lost my TV remote in a move)
Get an Intel NUC.

kharma45

I just got fired from Aria PC, so, err, don't buy from those guys? :p (I survived four weeks as their counter monkey).

Or at least don't go in to collect stuff from the counter. Their entire system is a botch.

EDIT: Obviously not all that serious about not buying from them, but I definitely cannot recommend them given the bonkers way that company is run internally.

I've heard bad things about them, stayed away when I was buying stuff.

Anton668

seeing as how our water heater decided I had spent enough money on PC parts already by rupturing, thus causing me to have to spend a unexpected $300+...

OC'ing and such will have to be put hold for the foreseeable future :(

been messing around with the Gigabyte 7950. Simple OC's without changing the voltage. what do you think I can realistically expect out of it at stock volts?

And correct me if im wrong but now that I am stuck with the stock cooler on the I7 3770K, I hear I shouldnt bother even raising it in the slightest

Salaadin

Since I just got the Fractal R4, which is a quieter case, should I also look into a better cpu cooler? Will have CM Hyper 212+ evo in the OP be good enough should I plan to overclock down the road? Im talking about Haswell here so I know we cant say for sure since we know next to nothing about it but...any ballpark ideas would help.

Does Scythe still make good coolers? I have the giant Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B on my current CPU and I was pretty impressed with the job it did.

Would liquid cooling be a good idea? Thats something I know nothing about and never thought about but I guess Im willing to learn.

JayDub

Since I just got the Fractal R4, which is a quieter case, should I also look into a better cpu cooler? Will have CM Hyper 212+ evo in the OP be good enough should I plan to overclock down the road? Im talking about Haswell here so I know we cant say for sure since we know next to nothing about it but...any ballpark ideas would help.

Does Scythe still make good coolers? I have the giant Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B on my current CPU and I was pretty impressed with the job it did.

Would liquid cooling be a good idea? Thats something I know nothing about and never thought about but I guess Im willing to learn.

The only thing keeping me from liquid cooling is maintenance. At best, Im lazy to even blow out the dust. To set time to drain it, clean out radiators and all that jazz? Not for me. Like CLCs for this main reason.

Speaking of which, any sub-$100 cases that have dust filters all around? Or at least, where the air intakes (front, bottom and sides). I hate dust.

fader

okay, so I am set to order my parts but some final questions.

Should I get a Asus monitor or a BenQ

and

Radeon 7870 or 660 Ti?

Mesoian

So I have a question that's pretty dumb.

I have a Dell XPS 730x who's sisterboard and liquid cooling system have died. I've taken all the components out, placed them into a new case, hooked everything up, and everything is working (happy day). The problem is my CPU Heatsink. The Dell had a H2C Two-Stage system, which I don't want to replace because they have a history of being terribly unreliable and leaking all over everything. I've tried 3 air heatsinks and none of them actually fit the heatsink holes positioned around the CPU. The computer has a Dell P/N P270J mobo with an i7 775 extreme CPU.

What god damn cooler size do I need? I thought a standard 1366 heatsink would do the job, but obviously I'm wrong. Anyone have any advice?

kennah

Looks like the last two parts of my build (case and motherboard) are on hold for a few weeks to avoid divorce.

This'll give me a bit more time to research watercooling to see how feasible it is for my needs and use the stock 670 to get a feel for how loud it is.

Guess it works out, I can wait for the orange prodigy to come in stock too. Sucks to miss out on the P8Z77-I sale for 165 though.

JayDub

Looks like the last two parts of my build (case and motherboard) are on hold for a few weeks to avoid divorce.

This'll give me a bit more time to research watercooling to see how feasible it is for my needs and use the stock 670 to get a feel for how loud it is.

Guess it works out, I can wait for the orange prodigy to come in stock too. Sucks to miss out on the P8Z77-I sale for 165 though.

When was it on sale?

Zeth

This CM Storm Spawn is taking some getting used to. All the Logitech mice I've used in the past make the ring-finger rest feel kind of awkward. I need to get my mind around the idea of having my right click not at the far right edge of its surface.

Guys, Radeon 7960 or GTX 660?

Which is generally the better card?

That is a very broad question I know, I just can't decide between brands and right now the Radeon cards are offering Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinate for free.

Thanks!

Smokey

Almost didn't post this because I was thinking about grabbing them myself, but:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1359452/msi-gtx-680-4gb-2x-asus-vg236h-23-monitors-120hz-3d-vision

VG236H Monitors for $175

With the guy's trader rating and how the OCN system works, I would have absolutely zero reservations about this.

Oh wow. Glad I got to him before you posted this here. Gladly took them off his hands.
Now I get to try 5760x1080 120hz/3d surround :)

What a week. A new Crysis release brings out the worst. This week:

Steelseries Sensei Raw
Logitech G710+ Mechanical gaming keyboard
2x Asus VG236GH
SENNHEISER PC 363D 7.1 headset
Asus DGX sound card

Should have everything but the monitors by the end of the week. I'm not gonna lie that PC363D purchase got me feeling a little b remorse already. So much on headphones/headset...I hope it's worth it :l

Hopefully it goes away when everything is setup ha

Smokey

where'd ya find the 363D's at? and how much if you dont mind..

newegg just got them in today..i had it on auto-notify...even now there's no picture up for them or anything, but it says in stock .i called them just to verify if they were actually in stock and she said yes. she couldn't tell me how many they had but she said it's less than 10. That was at about 2pm central today.

they were $300.Amazon has them for $250 but the availability is between 1-4 weeks for shipping.

Edit: Wrong info. The headsets I were talking about were the PC 350. Amazon still doesn't have any information up on the 363D page.

Katyusha

Guys, Radeon 7960 or GTX 660?

Which is generally the better card?

That is a very broad question I know, I just can't decide between brands and right now the Radeon cards are offering Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinate for free.

Thanks!

Go with the 7950, as it is a bit more futureproof (3GB VRAM, 384-bit memory bus...etc) and it overclocks pretty well.

Plus that game deal is the icing on the cake.

mkenyon

Banned
Listening to tech report podcast right now, Scott Wasson says that AMD has confirmed there will be a patch relatively soon with a new memory management piece for all GCN based chips which will mean a general performance increase across all DX10/11 titles.

So awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom