• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

If you can, find some of the Samsung memory. It OC's well into the 2000mhz range and used less power. The GSKILL memory is solid but it doesn't budge in the OC department. Also, the heatspreader can be a little intrusive depending on how you will cool your CPU.

Either way, those are nice parts but at the least, get a Hyper 212 Evo if not an H60.
He is in Canada. Stuff is damn hard to find here.

Ledsen

I'm curious: I've got an i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz. How long would you reckon it'll be adequate for top performance gaming? That is, how long until similarly cheap alternatives that are significantly more powerful are released?

kharma45

lol like I said, last time I did a research was when I bought my q6600.

So I am going with this thanks to Koroviev

upgradeyib1a.jpg

wish me luck

If you can, find some of the Samsung memory. It OC's well into the 2000mhz range and used less power. The GSKILL memory is solid but it doesn't budge in the OC department. Also, the heatspreader can be a little intrusive depending on how you will cool your CPU.

Either way, those are nice parts but at the least, get a Hyper 212 Evo if not an H60.

On a separate note

The OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC is on a shell shocker at Newegg right now for 120. A good deal for that SSD.

If you're not going to use Intel's SRT then look at the Z75 Pro3, went for it myself as I'll never use a caching drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304

Would give you money towards the Samsung RAM then too.

I'm curious: I've got an i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz. How long would you reckon it'll be adequate for top performance gaming? That is, how long until similarly cheap alternatives that are significantly more powerful are released?

At least another 2 years at worst.

On a separate note

The OCZ Vector Series VTR1-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC is on a shell shocker at Newegg right now for 120. A good deal for that SSD.

Funny I got the same setup last night from Microcenter, minus the memory since I already had it =)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Regarding the bios unlock on the GPU's - I don't think I will try it as I have reference cards and I'm already pushing them a little here. I just got the point where I have the best OC stability while not causing me anymore BSOD's so I best not push my luck.

scogoth

Regarding the bios unlock on the GPU's - I don't think I will try it as I have reference cards and I'm already pushing them a little here. I just got the point where I have the best OC stability while not causing me anymore BSOD's so I best not push my luck.

LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based computers
(Today, 11:00 AM)

Add a hyper 212 fan and you can get up to 4.2-4.4 easily. Just multiplier and voltage. These cpus are easier to overclock than the q6600

I ordered the EVO 212 to go along with the proc. so 4.2~4.4 is a good save/standard OC?
I am not looking to max-out the proc, just a nice average OC, I remember with my Q6600 3.0~3.2 Ghz was just as easy as going into the BIOS bump up the multiplier and voltage and that was it.

now the waiting game till my order arrives, I just started playing the Witcher 2, looking forward to see what performance I can get now.

Zeth

What core clock OC should I target on the MSI 680 Twin Frozr? It seems to be running super cool at stock OC. Can I get ~100mhz out of it with little or preferably no voltage increase?

Is the new 3D Mark not on Steam? [edit: found it, guess I just missed the sale. No space in the title apparently] Do you folks recommend it? If I'm going to spend some money on a benchmark, is it a good idea?

Ty4on

I have an XFX Double D 7870 at 1100/1300 and the fan never goes above 55%, and there is almost no noise difference between idle at 37% and the 55%, once it hits 60% though it starts to scream. The cooling is not that great thought to be honest I think. I have good case air flow and it tops out at 72 degrees max depending on the game.

7870 produces a lot less heat though. Think it's a similar cooler on the 7970.
If you don't have anything more noisy at idle I'd make a custom fan curve which is pretty much stock, but very low on idle. My fan (reference 7870) never goes above the lowest fan speed on idle (1100ish) and it's more than enough to cool it. Maybe make it ramp up at like 40-50 to get a smooth increase.

You can make a custom fan curve with Afterburner. Only problem I have is that sometimes when I boot the computer it ramps up to 50% if Afterburner isn't started. The fix is just to start Afterburner and turn on auto, but does anyone know why it happens? Seems to happen at random just some seconds after I have logged in. The reference fan has a very big range of RPMs so 50% is actually 3000RPM. 100% is 5800 and makes my table vibrate :p

kikonawa

plan on building a new pc..

I'm a bit undecided.

I3 3220 ivy bridge + asricj z77m (120€+85€) 205 €

OR

AMD FX-8120 + Asircj 970pro3 (150€+70€) 220€

Salaadin

You can make a custom fan curve with Afterburner. Only problem I have is that sometimes when I boot the computer it ramps up to 50% if Afterburner isn't started. The fix is just to start Afterburner and turn on auto, but does anyone know why it happens? Seems to happen at random just some seconds after I have logged in. The reference fan has a very big range of RPMs so 50% is actually 3000RPM. 100% is 5800 and makes my table vibrate :p

I had this problem with both AMD cards I owned. I dont know what causes it. It wasnt a huge deal since Afterburner was a startup program and once it fully loaded, everything dropped to normal.

Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I thought my PC was about to blow up.

Dave_6

Ok, I think I am finally getting closer to finalizing my build. I am leaning more towards the "Enthusiast" build in the OP as far as a few of the parts are concerned (Mobo, cooler, case). Keep in mind that I already have the RAM, SSD and GPU (thanks mkenyon!) in my possession.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DhBd

BTW who makes a better Blu-ray drive that can play 3D discs?

GCNemesis

Hey guys,

Been following this thread for a while in lieu of someday building a new PC and now I think I'm ready to take the plunge. And I need help :(

My last PC was built in 2007 with the assistance of other people, so this time I'm doing it alone.
I'm not at home, so I'll list as much as I remember, I'll follow up with more concrete part information when I get home.

Current Build:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte (Not sure of model, will update later)
GPU: XTX GeForce 8800 GTS
PSU: Antec 650W (I think, will update later)
Storage: 250GB HD (not sure of brand) & 1TB WD Caviar Black

New Build Hopes:
Budget: ~$600 (US)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation, HD Streaming, General Usage
Monitor Resolution: Living Room PC
Will you be overclocking?: Not in the plans, but would like to ability to do so
Looking to reuse any parts?: Yes possibly. I'll elaborate below.

To keep costs down in the short-term, I'm going to reuse my 1TB Caviar Black in my new PC and look for a SSD in the future. (The shell shocked deal on the OCZ is tempting).
I would also "like" to use the 8800GTS until I can get enough funds together for a new GPU. You'll notice that I have the GTX 660Ti in my proposed build as that will probably be my limit in terms of level of GPU cost.

Proposed Build: PCPartPicker Build

My Questions
  • Would the GTS 8800 work in the build below?
  • Would the GTX 660Ti work in the build below and is the MSI card a good quality (the reviews lead me to believe yes)
  • Do I need ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or is the ASRock Z75 Pro3 more than enough? I would like to make this somewhat future proof in terms of expansion, but I don't know if the Extreme4 is overkill.
  • Is the proposed Power Supply (620W) too much? Could I get by with a 550 or is the 620W needed for a card like the 660Ti?
  • Any additional parts you'd recommend and/or should I swap something out for something else?
  • Will I need CPU thermal paste for this?

Thanks for all the help on this, it's really appreciated!

kharma45

I am conflicted between the i5 and the i7...is there a major difference?

This is basically the same set up I am going with.

i7 gives you hyperthreading, which if you're gaming isn't of much use at the minute. If you're doing media work like video encoding the i7 is worth it though.

Hey guys,

Been following this thread for a while in lieu of someday building a new PC and now I think I'm ready to take the plunge. And I need help :(

My last PC was built in 2007 with the assistance of other people, so this time I'm doing it alone.
I'm not at home, so I'll list as much as I remember, I'll follow up with more concrete part information when I get home.

Current Build:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte (Not sure of model, will update later)
GPU: XTX GeForce 8800 GTS
PSU: Antec 650W (I think, will update later)
Storage: 250GB HD (not sure of brand) & 1TB WD Caviar Black

New Build Hopes:
Budget: ~$600 (US)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation, HD Streaming, General Usage
Monitor Resolution: Living Room PC
Will you be overclocking?: Not in the plans, but would like to ability to do so
Looking to reuse any parts?: Yes possibly. I'll elaborate below.

To keep costs down in the short-term, I'm going to reuse my 1TB Caviar Black in my new PC and look for a SSD in the future. (The shell shocked deal on the OCZ is tempting).
I would also "like" to use the 8800GTS until I can get enough funds together for a new GPU. You'll notice that I have the GTX 660Ti in my proposed build as that will probably be my limit in terms of level of GPU cost.

Proposed Build: PCPartPicker Build

My Questions
  • Would the GTS 8800 work in the build below?
  • Would the GTX 660Ti work in the build below and is the MSI card a good quality (the reviews lead me to believe yes)
  • Do I need ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or is the ASRock Z75 Pro3 more than enough? I would like to make this somewhat future proof in terms of expansion, but I don't know if the Extreme4 is overkill.
  • Is the proposed Power Supply (620W) too much? Could I get by with a 550 or is the 620W needed for a card like the 660Ti?
  • Any additional parts you'd recommend and/or should I swap something out for something else?
  • Will I need CPU thermal paste for this?

Thanks for all the help on this, it's really appreciated!

For the sake of $10 I'd upgrade your PSU to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00918MEZG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd also get a 660 Ti with a better cooler too, I've the same one with a 7770 and it's not bad, but it's not great either, for a fairly high spec GPU. Also worth noting too with the 660 and 660 Ti you'll only be able to use 1.5GB VRAM due to the 192 bit memory bus. As an alternative to the 660 Ti there is the 7870 XT from AMD which is a pretty good buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024 You'll not go wrong with either card though.

For what reason would you want the 8800 in the build for?

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB HDD instead of a WD Blue, right? WD's are out of stock and need a replacement ASAP. That's the only one in the same price category.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Damn, having a hell of a time getting my CPU to downclock. All C states on, offset voltage to .050, load line calibration high, and OC by all cores (x46 mp). vcore goes down but CPU stays at 4.6. System is stable but I'd like for it to clock down. ASUS Sabertooth x79.

kennah

The LE doesn't. The LK does.

Edit. Oh I'm getting my models mixed up. Forget that the -v le and the le are different. If the processor plus board is a good deal go for it.

The LE doesn't. The LK does.

Edit. Oh I'm getting my models mixed up. Forget that the -v le and the le are different. If the processor plus board is a good deal go for it.

Ok whew! I need that sweet SLI!

I've never been to memory express yet, my last build was an AMD 800 mhz thunderbird! This is exciting!

n0n44m

Damn, having a hell of a time getting my COU to downclock. All C states on, offset voltage to .050, load line calibration high, and OC by all cores (x46 mp). vcore foes down but CPU stays at 4.6. System is stable but I'd like for it to clock down. ASUS Sabertooth x79.

CPU C1E set to enabled instead of auto ? that fixed it on my 2600K/Z68

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So basically to install my new SSD. Hook it up via USB. Clone it with primary drive. Restart and make it primary drive. Woolah?

Salaadin

Thoughts on OCZ ZT Series PSUs?
I have an Antec EA 650 but would like to go fully modular. The AX850 in the OP looks cool but I dont know if Im going to need that much power and the OCZs are cheaper. ANy major differences that I should know about? Better or worse buy than the Seasonic M12II-650?

Talents

Banned
Question, how much of a difference is there between a reference card and a non reference card? I've been thinking of getting the Gigabyte version of the Radeon HD 7970 instead of the reference version, is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom