• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

AFAIK, HIS is a brand to avoid if you live in the UK. I would go for either Gigabyte or MSI.

Yup. For the UK, see below:

1graphicscardwarrantyso.png

Table shamelessly stolen from Overclockers forums.

Go for the MSI version thats on sale at the moment:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-155-MS

GHG

Only thing that puts me off going for that MSI one is that its a stock cooler and its not a Ghz edition

Edit: just found this one 1ghz edition, gigabyte and nice cooler.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...mhz-2048-cores-dl-dvi-i-hdmi-2x-mdp-plus-free

Whats everone think?

There is no difference between the GHZ editions and the normal ones other than the GPU clockspeed. the Ghz editions are clocked to 1000mhz by default. That MSI one is actually clocked higher (1010 mhz) than a normal ghz edition card so it will be faster in all situations. Ignore the ghz edition thing and just look at the GPU clockspeeds when comparing cards, its just a marketing/re-release ploy.

With regards to the cooler, yes its a reference cooler, but it does a good job from what I've read. The reason I'd recommend that card over the gigabyte one is because the gigabyte one is voltage locked, so if you want overclocking headroom its a no go whereas the MSI version has no such restrictions so you should be able to overclock it by a good amount.

If you have no interest in overclocking however, then I'd say go ahead with the gigabyte as they are good cards.

Hawk269

Need some help.

I am tying to secure erase one of my SSD's, but it keeps telling me it is in a Frozen State. The software suggests that I disconnect the power to the SSD for a few seconds and reconnect, but the same error occurs. I have the new Samsung 840 pro and need some major help here.

Thanks!

Anyone that can help? Been stuck on this since yesterday and cannot figure it out.

Thanks!

musicjunkie

Neo Member
7970 Ghz edition is arguably one of the most powerful single GPUs on the market right now.
Any preference on manufacture Koroviev? Newegg has 7970 ghz by XFX, Sapphire, HIS and Gigabyte.

Definitely going to be picking up one soon but I've only ever had experience with Sapphire but I've been reading some good things here about Gigabyte as well.

kharma45

Any preference on manufacture Koroviev? Newegg has 7970 ghz by XFX, Sapphire, HIS and Gigabyte.

Definitely going to be picking up one soon but I've only ever had experience with Sapphire but I've been reading some good things here about Gigabyte as well.

Depends on your budget for it.

sprinkles

After religiously following this thread over the last weeks I finally started ordering parts for my new PC. Of course I only realized after the fact that my GAF account had finally been approved - I mainly surf on my tablet and did not realize it before submitting those orders. But I hope everything will be just fine even though I built my last computer around 2002/3 with a AMD Barton so I will be quite nervous during the assembly.

Here is the list of parts which will arrive in the next days, if someone is kind enough to make last minute suggestions I am most grateful:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K
Fan Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Mainboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK, Z77
GPU Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950
SSD Samsung SSD 830 Series 256GB
RAM Samsung Green Series DIMM Kit 8GB
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
PSU be quiet! Pure Power L8-CM 530W
WIFI TP-Link TL-WDN3200, 300Mbps Dual Band

Koroviev

The Gigabyte cards are very nice, but I keep reading that they are voltage locked. Something to consider if you are looking to overclock manually. Really, the best method is to simply find the best deal, then do a bit of research if the card is non-reference to ensure that it does not have some common issues. RMA policy is also something to consider and the chart posted is useful for those residing in the UK.

After religiously following this thread over the last weeks I finally started ordering parts for my new PC. Of course I only realized after the fact that my GAF account had finally been approved - I mainly surf on my tablet and did not realize it before submitting those orders. But I hope everything will be just fine even though I built my last computer around 2002/3 with a AMD Barton so I will be quite nervous during the assembly.

Here is the list of parts which will arrive in the next days, if someone is kind enough to make last minute suggestions I am most grateful:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K

Looks great!

kharma45

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K

I wouldn't change a thing.

So If Im picking up a 7970 get one from MSI or Gigabyte. Brilliant that narrows down the choice abit :)

Pretty much, although the likes of Amazon I'd risk some other brands like ASUS.

kharma45

Wait, reference cards can have issues?

I was just about to order the MSI one
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-155-MS

But if refrence cards can have issues I may just buy the gigabyte 1ghz one from scan
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...mhz-2048-cores-dl-dvi-i-hdmi-2x-mdp-plus-free

Though the gigabyte one is voltage locked

Cheaper at Dabs. http://www.dabs.com/products/gigaby...3-0-hdmi-windforce-3x-7ZWZ.html?q=7970&src=16 That one is only 1GHz not 1.1

Avoid the reference one. I'll have a look around for other deals.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K

The only thing i would change is the PSU tbh due to slight paranoia of possibly having a less than reputable (maybe) thing dealing with such parts but thats just me.

edit: someone trustworthy vouches for this PSU so i say go for it

kharma45

Different cards though the dabs one has the product code GV-R797OC-3GD - this is a factory OC model

Whereas the Scan one is GV-R797TO-3GD which is the 1ghz model

No idea if that means anything :)

Yeah they're two different cards.

Found a few deals, this one with 6 games https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-303-SP for £380, or £50 less with Novatech but the standard bundle of games https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-303-SP

Hard to know what to do. Go for Gigabyte with a great RMA policy or go for a voltage unlocked Sapphire. I'd probably go Gigabyte 1100MHz one myself.

gilljoy

Yeah they're two different cards.

Found a few deals, this one with 6 games https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-303-SP for £380, or £50 less with Novatech but the standard bundle of games https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-303-SP

Hard to know what to do. Go for Gigabyte with a great RMA policy or go for a voltage unlocked Sapphire. I'd probably go Gigabyte 1100MHz one myself.

Yeah I was tempted by the 1.1ghz gigabyte, I don't have much plans to overclock it for a while and I really like my gigabyte motherboard

kharma45

Yeah I was tempted by the 1.1ghz gigabyte, I don't have much plans to overclock it for a while and I really like my gigabyte motherboard

You should get a bit of an OC out of it all being well, maybe to 1150 which is still amazing.

1200 is usually as high as they go on air with more volts anyway.

sprinkles

if thats the case then go for it sprinkles
Thanks, I will. Hopefully watching a few Youtube videos has been enough to bring me up to date on modern PC innards. I built a few computers myself, but that was over a decade ago and the Coolermaster EVO which already arrived yesterday looks huge and complicated to mount.

kharma45

Thanks, I will. Hopefully watching a few Youtube videos has been enough to bring me up to date on modern PC innards. I built a few computers myself, but that was over a decade ago and the Coolermaster EVO which already arrived yesterday looks huge and complicated to mount.

It was a bit of a bastard for me to mount but I got there in the end. It's hard to beat for the price.

Yea if there was one thing that might be tricky at first it would be that thing, everything else is mostly the same except for the slots themselve being different (eg from long IDE connectors to short SATA connectors).

IIRC there is an actual video from Coolmaster themselves on how to install that cooler which is better to follow than the instructions it comes with.

If you do have issues just post in here and someone will help you out.

DSN2K

I'm frustrated with my attempts to buy a used last gen card this weekend.....I blame ATI and Nvidia due to the lack of movement in the GPU market. It's really ruining the used market for cards, your seeing GTX 560's and 6850's still demanding silly money. Im better off spending the extra £30-50 and getting HD 7850 and I will now once Ive sold a few games on Ebay.

kharma45

In which game will it prove to be a bottleneck?

Crysis 3 is one.

I'm frustrated with my attempts to buy a used last gen card this weekend.....I blame ATI and Nvidia due to the lack of movement in the GPU market. It's really ruining the used market for cards, your seeing GTX 560's and 6850's still demanding silly money. Im better off spending the extra £30-50 and getting HD 7850 and I will now once Ive sold a few games on Ebay.

7850 is a great buy, DO IT.

kharma45

Anyone here have experience with the ASUS 7950 version 2?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121716

It's only 800Mhz @ stock versus a lot of other brands starting at 900 or 925. Not sure if that will affect the OC ability of its chip though...

But I really dig the cooler and quiet is probably more important to me than absolute max OC. If I can hit 1000 with it then I'll be happy.

Triple slot card which is a bummer, Sapphire Vapor X is worth a look

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202003

They're practically the same noise levels, less than a decibel in it.

Lookin' good. Definitely get the Z77 board. B75 is a business solution. Also, perhaps see if you can't find a good deal on some Noctua fans or the Corsair SP120s.

Will look into fans. I figured it didn't really matter what kind since stock fans work just fine too, as well as the fact I wanted to keep it relatively quiet. But I'll see what I can find. I'm ordering sometime this week, unbelievably excited! I'm quite ready to stop playing every game I own at 15-25fps... just wanna make sure i pick out the right stuff before I drop 750~ bones.

Koroviev

Will look into fans. I figured it didn't really matter what kind since stock fans work just fine too, as well as the fact I wanted to keep it relatively quiet. But I'll see what I can find. I'm ordering sometime this week, unbelievably excited! I'm quite ready to stop playing every game I own at 15-25fps... just wanna make sure i pick out the right stuff before I drop 750~ bones.

Not all fans are made equal. Some can be quite loud. Noctua fans and the SP120s are known for being quiet, although I do love the stock fans on the Define R4.

xJavonta

Banned
How many of you guys switched from 2 "normal" res monitors to one extremely high res monitor? If so do you feel like it was a downgrade?

Not all fans are made equal. Some can be quite loud. Noctua fans and the SP120s are known for being quiet, although I do love the stock fans on the Define R4.

Wouldn't RPM account for most of the noise? EX: the corsair AF120 at 1100rpm would be quieter than the SP120's at 2350rpm right? They're the same price so it wouldn't really matter to me, I'll take your word if the SP120's are a better buy.

EDIT: or the SP120 quiet edition at 1450rpm?

NoRéN;48176668 said:
AF are for case, SP for CPU heatsinks.

-_- I wish companies would just make stuff a little bit clearer. Okay well I was just trying to pick up an extra case fan. Recommendation?

NoRéN

Wouldn't RPM account for most of the noise? EX: the corsair AF120 at 1100rpm would be quieter than the SP120's at 2350rpm right? They're the same price so it wouldn't really matter to me, I'll take your word if the SP120's are a better buy.

EDIT: or the SP120 quiet edition at 1450rpm?

AF are for case, SP for CPU heatsinks.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
The Gigabyte cards are very nice, but I keep reading that they are voltage locked. Something to consider if you are looking to overclock manually. Really, the best method is to simply find the best deal, then do a bit of research if the card is non-reference to ensure that it does not have some common issues. RMA policy is also something to consider and the chart posted is useful for those residing in the UK.
Don't plan to OC but thanks for the quick reply and all the info you've been provided in this thread and sadly i'm US based. Looks like OOS at Amazon atm but didn't need in today or anything.

Will probably post my final build tomorrow to see what everyone thinks.

Thinking of getting a 'stop gap' card for my desktop while planning on building a brand new rig later when i get a job and new shit is out.

Thinking somewhere priced around $200 would be enough, would a 660 be a good upgrade from a 460 768mb ?

DyTonic

Banned
What do you guys do with old video cards? The resale prices aren't even worth the shipping lol, I will soon have evga gtx260 gathering dust once my new card arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom