• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Thinking of getting a 'stop gap' card for my desktop while planning on building a brand new rig later when i get a job and new shit is out.

Thinking somewhere priced around $200 would be enough, would a 660 be a good upgrade from a 460 768mb ?

Yeah, but you might pay less for a 2GB 7850.

Any reason why you dont want to user speedstep?

I keep it on, it downclocks the cpu speed when its not needed meaning lower power consumption a less heat.

I guess my question is if there is a chance the CPU could downclock in unwelcome moments or if there is no performance difference at all.

lol wut, ati cards get you tomb raider and bioshock, while nvidia cards give you f2p game gold :X

I've been nvidia all my life... maybe i should test out ati this time...

More research time I guess. cuz I am planning on getting both of those games, so that's pretty much knocking 120 off the price.

Koroviev

lol wut, ati cards get you tomb raider and bioshock, while nvidia cards give you f2p game gold :X

More research time I guess. cuz I am planning on getting both of those games, so that's pretty much knocking 120 off the price.

AMD has come a long way with their drivers. Arguably the best value if you're pursuing a single-GPU configuration.

angelfly

Shield is what kept me from going with a pair of 7970s.

kharma45

AMD has come a long way with their drivers. Arguably the best value if you're pursuing a single-GPU configuration.

Agreed. I really can't look past them at any level of the market now for a single GPU, all their cards are really good and offer great value.

ss_lemonade

Asked my brother to grab a 3770k at microcenter over at his place but I think a 3570k + mobo would be a better deal. I just found out that they slash $40 out of the motherboard price when purchased with a 3570k. Combined with the lower microcenter cpu prices, yeah I think that's the way to go.

By the way, do the 3570k and 3770k oc just about the same (without resorting to doing a delid), or is one better than the other? This will primarily be just for gaming/emulator use

i've never bought pc parts from amazon, how is there support?

and... wth is a mini display port :X

I was disappointed in Amazon's packaging standard for pc parts.
I just recently (last week) ordered an i7 3930k from amazon (not a 3rd party) and they shipped it in a manilla envelope with a thin bubble wrap lining. The packaging of the processor was visibly crushed.

Whereas the SSD that I ordered from newegg cam in a box with lots of packaging.
I love amazon, but will never use them for pc components again.

Koroviev

Asked my brother to grab a 3770k at microcenter over at his place but I think a 3570k + mobo would be a better deal. I just found out that they slash $40 out of the motherboard price when purchased with a 3570k. Combined with the lower microcenter cpu prices, yeah I think that's the way to go.

By the way, do the 3570k and 3770k oc just about the same (without resorting to doing a delid), or is one better than the otiher? This will primarily be just for gaming/emulator use

The 3570K will serve you well.

kharma45

I was disappointed in Amazon's packaging standard for pc parts.
I just recently (last week) ordered an i7 3930k from amazon (not a 3rd party) and they shipped it in a manilla envelope with a thin bubble wrap lining. The packaging of the processor was visibly crushed.

Whereas the SSD that I ordered from newegg cam in a box with lots of packaging.
I love amazon, but will never use them for pc components again.

Complain to them about it if you haven't already.

Just another connector for visual output, I'd imagine you'll be using HDMI.

Support should be the usual amazing Amazon standard.

hmmm... well Currently i have a 1440p monitor which needs dual dvi, and 2 1080p monitors, so I guess ill probably need to snag up an hdmi cable (probably have a spare one around the house though) and a mini display to dvi adapter.

but yeah... never knew mini display ports was a thing... always thought it was that weird port on macs.

Bleeether

I was also debating on Nvidia vs. AMD, but i was sold on Shield so that's why i went nvidia in the end. The control pad looks a little clunky but I'm gonna give it a chance when its released. Streaming all my Steam games to a handheld has me pretty excited... really excited actually. Water proof that thing and ill being playing that shit poolside.

Cmagus

So I want to upgrade my current PC a little for the release of Final Fantasy XIV ARR. I bought some ram which is on the way but I want to upgrade my motherboard and chip because right now I am running a stock one and simply put it sucks.

Basically I am not looking to run stuff like Crysis 3 on maximum or anything like that. Running the recent FFXIV benchmark I scored 5300 total which isn't great and I would like to run it higher. I can run the game on high easy but I would like to max is out if possible.

These are the motherboard and chip I am currently looking at but I am not sure if they are that good.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514 - Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727 - Chip

Right now my motherboard only has two slots for ram. I purchased 8 gig but if I could add more I would. Any advice would be great. I plan on buying from Newegg as I find they have the better deals.I play on placing my order next week.

Below are my current specs.

Current Specs: Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00 GHZ, Ram 4 gig DDR 3, Fan 850W, Windows 7 64 bit, MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 , my case is some generic thing I don't know the brand but I would eventually like to upgrade it.
Budget: 250.00 - Canada
Main Use: Gaming, Development
Monitor Resolution: 1280x780 (I play most games windowed if possible). Not looking to purchase a new monitor as the current one is about 3 months old
Games I must run: Final Fantasy XIV (pretty much it)

So I installed Windows 8 this afternoon, just gone to turn on my laptop again after playing around with it fine earlier and its totally fucked.. Gets to the start up splash screen with the blue logo and white swirling dots and it hangs. Can't access the bios features to change the boot up to even reinstall Windows. Wonderful! Any suggestions?

Koroviev

So I installed Windows 8 this afternoon, just gone to turn on my laptop again after playing around with it fine earlier and its totally fucked.. Gets to the start up splash screen with the blue logo and white swirling dots and it hangs. Can't access the bios features to change the boot up to even reinstall Windows. Wonderful! Any suggestions?

Restart a few times. If you don't see the logo and "please wait," restart again. Once you get that message, Windows will provide you with advanced repair options, including safe mode and refresh.

I was also debating on Nvidia vs. AMD, but i was sold on Shield so that's why i went nvidia in the end. The control pad looks a little clunky but I'm gonna give it a chance when its released. Streaming all my Steam games to a handheld has me pretty excited... really excited actually. Water proof that thing and ill being playing that shit poolside.

Shield does look awesome, but man, that thing is not gonna be cheap.

Restart a few times. If you don't see the logo and "please wait," restart again. Once you get that message, Windows will provide you with advanced repair options, including safe mode and refresh.

I dont get that far unfortunately, I restart a couple of times and it begins the 'automatic repair' procedure or something which then also hangs within 2 seconds..I've just put an old HDD with W7 installed in the laptop and its booting and working fine.

So I'd guess it's either a botched W8 installation or a fucked SSD? Any way of accessing the bios or even just a boot menu after W8? The way I can't access the bios is beyond ridiculous.

Koroviev

I dont get that far unfortunately, I restart a couple of times and it begins the 'automatic repair' procedure or something which then also hangs within 2 seconds..I've just put an old HDD with W7 installed in the laptop and its booting and working fine.

So I'd guess it's either a botched W8 installation or a fucked SSD? Any way of accessing the bios or even just a boot menu after W8? The way I can't access the bios is beyond ridiculous.
If you're getting the logo, then you're getting past the bios. Try pressing delete repeatedly on boot. Failing that, try F2. If that doesn't get you to BIOS, then grab a USB and do a clean install.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

I'm generally a fan of Microsoft's improvements to desktop with Windows 8, and I get where they're going with modern UI.

But the OS is nowhere near as reliable as Windows 7. I use it at work, and I've seen what you're describing at least 3 times. Usually during updates.

I recommend disabling fast startup until they get their shit together, because then shutdown/startup refreshes the kernel rather than keeping bugs persistent. Also if you have an email checker PC with a weak GPU, be sure to update the video driver. I have one at work, and it had an October driver (around release) and starting sometime early this year the driver would crash/restart. That's some Linux level shit right there (kernel update killing proprietary drivers). Also I'm getting annoyed with how Windows 8 keeps fucking with my settings. Like default apps modern UI picture viewer somehow getting default access again without my authorization.

Rumors are Microsoft is scrambling with Windows Blue to stabilize this new OS with an accelerated schedule. As a developer, I totally can see how being a Windows developer must be stressful right now...they were likely rushed and worked long hours to put out Windows 8 but it wasn't really done (go away charms bar, I'm using desktop). They polished Vista into 7 so I bet they'll do it again.

Thanks for your responses, I feel I'm not doing a great job of describing the problem though. My problem being I literally could not access the bios, I'd press F2 during the post sequence and where it would usually beep and enter the menu, it wouldn't. I put in an old HDD and was then able to access the bios. I set it to the DVD drive as the primary boot device, put back in the SSD...... I go to get my W8 iso disk and get back.. I try it without the disk to see what happens and now it's fucking booted fine. WTF? It keeps hanging though and is acting really strangely.. I'm thinking this could be a sign of SSD failure?

scogoth

Not being able to access the BIOS is not possible. It happens before the OS is loaded. Are you sure you are hitting the right button to get into BIOS?

Bleeether

Shield does look awesome, but man, that thing is not gonna be cheap.

I haven't been able to find any rumored prices on this thing yet. They are trying to push it out Q2 so we may be hearing talk about prices pretty soon. Call me crazy, but I'd personally pay up to $375 buck for this thing without a hesitation. I'm fully dedicated to PC gaming, and since im not purchasing any of the "next-gen" consoles, I'd be comfortable spending my skrilla on some niche tech that will expand the possibilities of my pc gaming experience.

Bleeether

I had a similar problem (with win 7). Try restarting you computer with no Keyboard and Mouse plugged in. idk why, but that allowed me to get past the logo and finish installation.

kennah

Went hands on with the R4 today when I was returning a fan. That is one beautiful case - the sound dampening alone! Amazing! I'm sad that the grey 'titanium' one is only grey on the front, and black on the rest.

Not being able to access the BIOS is not possible. It happens before the OS is loaded. Are you sure you are hitting the right button to get into BIOS?

I'm afraid it's possible, it appears W8 is able to do something with accessing the bios.. With my old HDD with W7 on plugged in, I can get to the bios fine by pressing F2.

I had a similar problem (with win 7). Try restarting you computer with no Keyboard and Mouse plugged in. idk why, but that allowed me to get past the logo and finish installation.

Laptop here so no dice with that.

I got into W8 again for a while and played around with somethings, rebooted and now I'm stuck at a blank screen again.. Fuck sake MS, haha.

angelfly

I need to get a new PC soon as my laptop is dying, how does this look?

http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-8500-Desktop,-Intel®-Core™-i7-3770-3.4-GHz.product.100011674.html

I want to be able to play games at 1080p on a decent setting at least, and the amount of ports and connections this computer is beckoning me. Any other advice? My laptop is dying at a very alarming rate and will be dead very soon and I don't want to get stuck with nothing

That computer isn't worth the amount they're charging for it and with that graphics card you won't be playing anything above low settings. Take the $900 you were going to spend on it and go for one of the builds in the OP.

M3z_

That graphics card is not made for gaming you won't be playing games at 1080p on that. If you have to buy pre-built which you shouldn't do, buy prebuilt from newegg.

xJavonta

Banned
I need to get a new PC soon as my laptop is dying, how does this look?

http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-8500-Desktop,-Intel®-Core™-i7-3770-3.4-GHz.product.100011674.html

I want to be able to play games at 1080p on a decent setting at least, and the amount of ports and connections this computer is beckoning me. Any other advice? My laptop is dying at a very alarming rate and will be dead very soon and I don't want to get stuck with nothing

Lol not happening, use the OP and build one. It's not hard at all, I've walked people through it via the phone and they're always surprised by how simple it really is.

That graphics card is not made for gaming you won't be playing games at 1080p on that. If you have to buy pre-built which you shouldn't do, buy prebuilt from newegg.

The benefit here would be the amazing warranty at Costco. I looked on Newegg and I couldn't really find anything that was around this.

Lol not happening, use the OP and build one. It's not hard at all, I've walked people through it via the phone and they're always surprised by how simple it really is.

I looked through before I posted and it's still the factor of it just being ready. I know how to build the computer itself, as I've done it before a few times with friends and such, but my computer can die any day now and I can't have a day of downtime.

The issue is the S/PDIF if a necessity and so is having a decent amount of connections.

ALSO. Disregarding the video card is the computer still decent? I could have the computer compensated and then I can buy the graphics card on my own, which I have no problem with.

kennah

You have no idea if its power supply could even support a graphics card. I don't think anyone in this thread is going to give that Dell passing marks.

The benefit here would be the amazing warranty at Costco. I looked on Newegg and I couldn't really find anything that was around this.

I looked through before I posted and it's still the factor of it just being ready. I know how to build the computer itself, as I've done it before a few times with friends and such, but my computer can die any day now and I can't have a day of downtime.

The issue is the S/PDIF if a necessity and so is having a decent amount of connections.

ALSO. Disregarding the video card is the computer still decent? I could have the computer compensated and then I can buy the graphics card on my own, which I have no problem with.

Not worth it man. You would have to get a new video card then probably a new PSU to run it. Then you have to make sure the video card will fit in the case. Big hassle

Bleeether

I couldn't help but chuckle at that computers original price...

If putting your own parts together is out of the question, have microcenter put your parts together or go through one of those those gaming pc sites they'll do it for you as well. That computer is pretty trashy.

Koroviev

Do you live within 50 miles of any component stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom