• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ieu

suck it up and build a new rig. that mobo is gonna be the big problem. I'm gonna guess your old case might not be able to fit newer long high end cards.

You probably could get a c2q9550 or something on there, (might require bios flashing)...

but yeah 1080p 60fps for 'nextgen' games, would probably cost as much or more to upgrade vs build a new thing.

Nah I used to have an Antec 900 and it can fit most mid ranged cards which could easily replace the 8800 GTS.

f0nz0: If you want that 1080P 60fps and next gen IQ then it's time to replace your old PC. Check the OP for some nice builds, you could try to keep the power supply but you might have to replace it.

IceIpor

Ok I cut down the price a bit. I want to keep the blue ram because it will look good with that mb, and 6 bucks isn't a big difference. Also gonna go with the BP550 because its semi modular which should make it a little more neat in that smallish case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($50.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $714.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-17 14:52 EDT-0400)

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know if it's too late or anything...

Since you're in Canada, price match whatever parts you can to memoryexpress.com and save 15% of the difference between the prices.

so what are the pros and cons of buying gpu used vs refurb?

refurb is more likely to be ok out of the box, but then the used has 3 year warranty vs 1 limited, and used is most likely cheaper?

b0bbyJ03

what do you guys recommend using for AA? got a GTX 780 and i see a ton of options but im not sure what to use. right now im playing Titanfall with MSAA x4. i see that Nvidia advertises FXAA and TXAA on the brochure for this card. any advice?

fuzaco

I'm building my first PC after about 8 years, and I need a little help concerning the PSU.

CPU: Intel i5-4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX760 OC 2GB DDR5 GV-N760OC-2GD
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 64MB WD10EZEX
SSD: Kingston 120GB SV300S37A
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz

This is all pretty basic stuff, so I won't link to them, but the PSU I have in mind is the Be Quiet 530W Pure Power BQT L8-CM.

Would this PSU be enough? Is it considered any good? Should I buy the 630W version for $20 more instead? If it's not good, can you recommend me a better one with a similar price point (it costs around $90)? I live in Hungary, so my options are kinda limited. Here is the site I'm ordering my PC from, listing all my PSU possibilites: http://www.pcx.hu/tapellatas/tapegyseg (it's in hungarian, but shouldn't be too hard to navigate)

Thanks for the help in advance, the only thing that's keeping me from ordering is my lack of knowledge of PSU's.

mkenyon

Banned
Looking for an 8 port wired router. Stability is very important. No need for wireless. Any suggestions?
Enterprise? If so, Sonicwall is amazing.
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3bx1G

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($529.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Intel BXRTS2011AC CPU Cooler ($20.50 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 20g Thermal Paste ($18.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($227.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($159.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($720.73 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.33 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($137.97 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2147.16 works out about £1318.05

I want it to be future proof and up-gradable to upto 3 years, but is there any areas i can cut costs down? Any suggestions will be helpful.
I'm getting something drastically different from you when looking at it on PCPartPicker UK.

My suggested changes though:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3bARI

I don't know when your timeline for building is, but Haswell-E will be coming out within 3 months or so, and will have an 8 core CPU at the same price as the 4930K you're looking at. Plus DDR4, which would be substantial for your purposes.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Reposting this since the monitor hasn't been trashed yet.

One of the Dell U2312HM monitors at my work was damaged. (LCD display is damaged)
They said they were probably just going to throw it away, but I was curious if it would be possible to repair.

Do any of you know of companies that sell replacement screens for Dell displays, or just 23" displays in general.

If the price is reasonable I would like to just fix the monitor myself and use it.

I don't know when your timeline for building is, but Haswell-E will be coming out within 3 months or so, and will have an 8 core CPU at the same price as the 4930K you're looking at. Plus DDR4, which would be substantial for your purposes.

mkenyon, should I bite a 4770k in about 1.5-2 months or wait for the newer CPU gen?

Same for GPU?

mkenyon

Banned
so what are the pros and cons of buying gpu used vs refurb?

refurb is more likely to be ok out of the box, but then the used has 3 year warranty vs 1 limited, and used is most likely cheaper?
The only upshot of buying refurb is that you know for 99% certain the part will be arriving and you aren't depending on some person to ship it out.

Used is more likely to be OK out of the box, as you can ask the person to stress test it and verify that it is working prior to shipping.

Used will most likely have a longer warranty, depending on the specific part purchased.

Used will be cheaper.
I'm building my first PC after about 8 years, and I need a little help concerning the PSU.

CPU: Intel i5-4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX760 OC 2GB DDR5 GV-N760OC-2GD
HDD: Western Digital 1TB 64MB WD10EZEX
SSD: Kingston 120GB SV300S37A
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz

This is all pretty basic stuff, so I won't link to them, but the PSU I have in mind is the Be Quiet 530W Pure Power BQT L8-CM.

Would this PSU be enough? Is it considered any good? Should I buy the 630W version for $20 more instead? If it's not good, can you recommend me a better one with a similar price point (it costs around $90)? I live in Hungary, so my options are kinda limited. Here is the site I'm ordering my PC from, listing all my PSU possibilites: http://www.pcx.hu/tapellatas/tapegyseg (it's in hungarian, but shouldn't be too hard to navigate)

Thanks for the help in advance, the only thing that's keeping me from ordering is my lack of knowledge of PSU's.
The 530W will be plenty.
mkenyon, should I bite a 4770k in about 1.5-2 months or wait for the newer CPU gen?

Same for GPU?
The new CPUs coming out are the enthusiast socket Haswell-E. Entry level proc will be a 6 core part, 5820K, at $330 or so. It will require DDR4 memory, which will likely be very expensive initially. The baseline motherboards will be $220-250, something well equipped will be $280-320. It's intended for people who run 3-4 way SLI/Crossfire, and do multimedia creation. It's not really meant for dedicated gaming builds, unless you like to have the fanciest toys on the block.

So it's not really a new gen, it's just the Enthusiast platform release of the current Haswell processors.

New GPUs probably won't be out till late Q3, possibly Q4.

Where is the information coming from about 8 cores cpu at 4930k price point ?

Isn't 8 core only going to be extreme edition at 999$ ?

mkenyon

Banned
Where is the information coming from about 8 cores cpu at 4930k price point ?

Isn't 8 core only going to be extreme edition at 999$ ?
They always release the extreme edition chip at $1000, and then the slightly lower binned version a few weeks later at $550. They've done that with the 950, 3930K, and 4930K. I don't see any reason why this will be different. There's nothing that I've seen that says otherwise, either.

Smokey

They always release the extreme edition chip at $1000, and then the slightly lower binned version a few weeks later at $550. They've done that with the 950, 3930K, and 4930K. I don't see any reason why this will be different. There's nothing that I've seen that says otherwise, either.

I feel like they would pull a stunt and make the X version the 8 core. Especially since this will be the first true 8 core consumer CPU. It's on their "E" platform....not like AMD is any competition for Intel. I could see it :l

mkenyon

Banned
I feel like they would pull a stunt and make the X version the 8 core. Especially since this will be the first true 8 core consumer CPU. It's on their "E" platform....not like AMD is any competition for Intel. I could see it :l
But they were in the same position with the 980X.

Then you have the question of "what do we do with all of these 8 core CPUs that aren't binned as high"? You have to offload those somehow. If all 8 cores are chugging away just fine, so you don't need to lock them off for 6 core variants, but they don't pass the same binning process for your extreme proc, then it's not like they're just going to throw them away. Enter the 5930K.

*edit*

But in either case, then you get a 6 core part for $330 instead of $570. Still potentially worth waiting for.

*edit 2*

I knew I read it somewhere: http://www.overclock.net/t/1454059/tpu-haswell-e-to-launch-in-q3-2014-5930k-8-core-around-600

Pachimari

I still don't understand why I can't get my WiFi card to work. =/

fIr7UaD.jpg

I know it's a driver I need but I can't even remember the manufacturer of it. It didn't come with a install CD either.

EDIT:
I found the name of it in my mail:

TP-LINK 450Mbps Dual B WLAN N PCIE Adapter (TL-WDN4800). I'm gonna try find the latest driver again.

mkenyon

Banned

I installed the latest driver but still nothing.
Try a different slot on your motherboard? Force disable the onboard network adapter in BIOS?

*edit*

I see your edit. Take a picture of the card and post it here if possible. The model # will be somewhere on the PCB.

Ashhong

I know it's a driver I need but I can't even remember the manufacturer of it. It didn't come with a install CD either.

Look on the card itself..should have some kind of branding at least on t he chip

Pachimari

Try a different slot on your motherboard? Force disable the onboard network adapter in BIOS?

*edit*

I see your edit. Take a picture of the card and post it here if possible. The model # will be somewhere on the PCB.

Look on the card itself..should have some kind of branding at least on t he chip

The driver can be found here:
TP Link

But I already tried installing that driver. I'm gonna try again.

What's the cheapest Windows 8 (or 7, actually) option for a student in the US? I see the Microsoft Store has a decent discount, but it seems like you need another copy of Windows already installed with their upgrade versions. I need this for a fresh SSD.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the cheapest Windows 8 (or 7, actually) option for a student in the US? I see the Microsoft Store has a decent discount, but it seems like you need another copy of Windows already installed with their upgrade versions. I need this for a fresh SSD.
You can install the Upgrade and then install it again over the Upgrade. Shit you not.

But, reddit.com/r/softwareswap is the place to get Windows Keys.

Pachimari

Are there anyone reliable selling Office (Word and Excel), not just keys but the software?

I sent some dollars to one there but he turned out fake. =(

Jafku

reddit.com/r/softwareswap
$15-20 for a windows 8.1 key

reddit.com/r/softwareswap
$15-20 for a windows 8.1 key

You can install the Upgrade and then install it again over the Upgrade. Shit you not.

Thanks. Looks like reddit saves the day here. It has been a while since I've booted from USB, but that is the route I'd take with the download version I take it. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out from here. Thanks!

guys I'm decided to upgrade from my HD7950 to a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X, what do you think about that Sapphire model is it good or should I consider other manufacturers such as MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte?

Linkup

Probably best to avoid the Kingston V300 120GB as they have been changing things on that model afaik.

guys I'm decided to upgrade from my HD7950 to a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X, what do you think about that Sapphire model is it good or should I consider other manufacturers such as MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte?

I used to put Sapphire right up their with Zotac and Powercolor, but they seem decent now. More about customer service and which one has the nicest color at this point.

Ashhong

Are there anyone reliable selling Office (Word and Excel), not just keys but the software?

What? All of the new Office is sold pretty much digitally. You just go to the website and insert the key to get the software. Very easy. Reddit should be pretty safe as well

Nakazato

ok bros I have 200 dollars I can stretch to 250.

I have a hang up. on either getting a 750ti (no need for a PS) or a used 760 from EVGA (and would need to upgrade ps and hit my limit.

any advice ? Going to make purchase sometime in the week.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a good 30-40 ps it would really help

KTT

mkenyon -- what was the link to that windows 8.1 mouse acceleration fix you posted a few weeks ago?

Also, anyone have any must-have programs/tweaks for 8.1? I've got start8 and classic shell at the moment.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
mkenyon -- what was the link to that windows 8.1 mouse acceleration fix you posted a few weeks ago?

Also, anyone have any must-have programs/tweaks for 8.1? I've got start8 and classic shell at the moment.

This one?

Classic Shell is the only thing I use, along with any settings tweaks that remove as much of Metro as possible from my life.

kharma45

Probably best to avoid the Kingston V300 120GB as they have been changing things on that model afaik.

I used to put Sapphire right up their with Zotac and Powercolor, but they seem decent now. More about customer service and which one has the nicest color at this point.

Yeah they changed the NAND in it so worth steering clear.

Thanks for the heads-up on the V300, just canceled my order for the 120 GB from Amazon. Any recommended SSDs as an OS drive besides the few in the OP? Only need 60+ GB honestly as my 40 GB Vertex 2 was serviceable... So I think a 60 should more than do fine. I have a separate WD Blue for mass storage and an Intel SSD for all my other programs that I need to be snappy.

Maybe the Crucial M500 120 GB for $70 on Amazon would be good.

Flaxh

SSD will make the OS feel far snappier, no waiting for loading of any programs, and the OS will be ready to go as soon as it boots.

NoRéN;104653698 said:
What SSDs were you looking at that are still the same price? You missed some good sales during black friday but they occasionally go on sale often(250gb for as low as $120).

This is wonderful for regular maintenance.
Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120 volt

Get an SSD, as big as you can afford, I recommend the Crucial M500 line.

And the SSD, I would wait until they go on sale. I bought a 512GB SSD last year for 200 bux which I thought was okay. I personally would wait until they're in the same ballpark to make the jump. Smaller SSDs are too restrictive for me personally, I like to keep my most played games on it, and games are getting really big lately.

UK GAF cheap SSD alert!

Cross-post from the cheap ass gaffer thread:

Crucial 240Gb M500 SSD - £81.99 @ Amazon and ebuyer

Great deal for 240gb of super fast storage. Get on it PC GAF!

Just saw this. Should I bite guys?

Smokey

Didnt noticed that, im at 1080p (choosed 1080p at 144hz over 1600p, big mistake).

When you got time can you run 3dmark extreme? Thanks

I just got 3dmark so I'll try and do that in a bit. In the meantime I did a Heaven 4.0 session. Here is what I started with at stock- 2560x1600

24bpXdb.jpg

with OC +207/+175

yjhuZLM.jpg

And I did one at 1080p for you:

Mhi4ClK.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Poor little 780Tis fighting over that x8 PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth. So starved. :p

In seriousness though, how are you liking it so far?

Smokey

Poor little 780Tis fighting over that x8 PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth. So starved. :p

In seriousness though, how are you liking it so far?

soon

i like them though. can definitely feel the added power at 2560x1600 so that's nice.The 3GB of VRAM still bothers me, but my case now feels and looks "complete" with 2 GPUs back in there :)

i'm hoping a 790 is a rumor...if it's true then i'll have more decisions to make lul..looks like it might be just a rumor though...but with amd about to unveil its dual gpu who knows

Arsin

I have been looking into which 780 Ti to pick up and it seems like there are two good choices.

First is the Gigabyte one, link

Second is the EVGA one, link

Are there others that I should be considering? Anything wrong with either of those two choice that sets one apart from the other?

Smokey

I have been looking into which 780 Ti to pick up and it seems like there are two good choices.

First is the Gigabyte one, link

Second is the EVGA one, link

Are there others that I should be considering? Anything wrong with either of those two choice that sets one apart from the other?

Both are solid, but EVGA warranty / customer service is #1

scogoth

soon

i like them though. can definitely feel the added power at 2560x1600 so that's nice.The 3GB of VRAM still bothers me, but my case now feels and looks "complete" with 2 GPUs back in there :)

i'm hoping a 790 is a rumor...if it's true then i'll have more decisions to make lul..looks like it might be just a rumor though...but with amd about to unveil its dual gpu who knows

Poor little 780Tis fighting to cool over that ineffective air. They cry out for water!

sol_bad

Do you guys feel it's going to be a worthwhile upgrade from the NVIDIA 600 range to the 800 range?
As I previously mentioned I have a GTX670 and it pains me that Tomb Raider can't run at 60fps. I want smoothness! I guess it's my fault for buying a new graphics card when the console transition was so close.

TheD

The Detective

What are you using office for?
If it is just for home use you could give LibreOffice a try instead.

lazybum

Neo Member
anyone know about HDMI 2.0 showing up in GPU's? Just got a 4K TV and I'd like to be able to play 4k @60hz but need HDMI 2.0 from the card to do so.

So Newegg's restocking fee is kind pretty silly, so I'd rather give a Gaffer a discount than ship it back to them.

Radeon R7 265 $135 + Shipping

The card is brand new, I took it out the box once because Reddit wanted me to verify that the box wasn't empty...

Pachimari

What? All of the new Office is sold pretty much digitally. You just go to the website and insert the key to get the software. Very easy. Reddit should be pretty safe as well
But the key I bought where for the 2010 version. I'll try look for it digitally.

Edit: Have looked at their website and they're not selling the software anymore.

Do you guys feel it's going to be a worthwhile upgrade from the NVIDIA 600 range to the 800 range?
As I previously mentioned I have a GTX670 and it pains me that Tomb Raider can't run at 60fps. I want smoothness! I guess it's my fault for buying a new graphics card when the console transition was so close.

I understand the game runs much better with the latest patches. Make sure you're running with those.

I guess it depends on the resolution but you should be able to hit 60Hz vsync pretty consistently with a 670 just looking at avg fps charts (I realize these don't take into account sudden drops and such, but I have no experience with the 670 personally...) at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom