• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
I just got 3dmark so I'll try and do that in a bit. In the meantime I did a Heaven 4.0 session. Here is what I started with at stock- 2560x1600

24bpXdb.jpg

with OC +207/+175

yjhuZLM.jpg

And I did one at 1080p for you:

Mhi4ClK.jpg
Those cards kill my gtx 770 sli. I can't believe how much faster they are!

bro1

Banned
Do you guys feel it's going to be a worthwhile upgrade from the NVIDIA 600 range to the 800 range?
As I previously mentioned I have a GTX670 and it pains me that Tomb Raider can't run at 60fps. I want smoothness! I guess it's my fault for buying a new graphics card when the console transition was so close.
Your 670 should be able to handle TR fine. Turn off the tressfx

scogoth

anyone know about HDMI 2.0 showing up in GPU's? Just got a 4K TV and I'd like to be able to play 4k @60hz but need HDMI 2.0 from the card to do so.

HDMI 2 will require new controllers to come out first before we see it in any consumer hardware. A number of them have been announced in the past 4-5 months so we should be seeing HDMI 2 Q3 at the earliest maybe Q4. Hopefully NVIDIA will update their display pipeline with Maxwell 800 series (the 750Ti is maxwell and does not have HDMI 2.0)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hey guys. I bought a measly 64GB SSD for Windows, and I want to upgrade. I bought the Window's 7 "System Builder" version. Should I have any problem cloning the SSD to a bigger one? The only thing I would really need to worry about there being an issue is if there was a new motherboard, right?

EDIT: Also, another question... if I want to just not bother with cloning and reinstall Windows completely... will there be a problem?

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Hey guys. I bought a measly 64GB SSD for Windows, and I want to upgrade. I bought the Window's 7 "System Builder" version. Should I have any problem cloning the SSD to a bigger one? The only thing I would really need to worry about there being an issue is if there was a new motherboard, right?

EDIT: Also, another question... if I want to just not bother with cloning and reinstall Windows completely... will there be a problem?

The clone should work fine but depending on how messy your system is, it might be the perfect time to start from scratch and just import your data from the secondary drive.

Arulan

I haven't looked into downsampling too much because I have a 120hz monitor (1080p, DVI-D dual link), but I'm curious what the bandwidth limits would be while remaining at 120hz? If I had to go down to 60hz, is the windows setting what I'd ultimately have to change every time?

NoRéN

Is there an nvidia equivalent of radeonpro? Fifa 13 has some lag and framerate drops despite having gone from a 7850 to a gtx680. Using radeonpro my 7850 would get a solid 60fps with no drops.

maneil99

NoRéN;104822118 said:
Is there an nvidia equivalent of radeonpro? Fifa 13 has some lag and framerate drops despite having gone from a 7850 to a gtx680. Using radeonpro my 7850 would get a solid 60fps with no drops.

Nvidia Geforce Experience and Control Panel

So, as school end is coming near, I got time for gaming again.
But there is where the problem starts:
I lost interest in gaming back in 2010 and gave all my PC games to a friend, so I got ZERO. I have to start from scratch anyways, plus I'd rather have a gamepad instead of Keyboard+mouse.

Now that (I believe it's the GPU) my HD5870 broke, and i want to start gaming again, I have 2 options:

Option A: Buy a xbox360 (180€) and get the games I want. About 15 are avaible for PC too, but ~5 aren't (I could live without playing them). This would mean i have what I want. gaming + a gamepad.

Option B: Find out what really is broken in my PC (99% sure it's the GPU) and replace it. I got a Phenom II x4 965, 8 gig RAM and I'm fine with playing med-high at 1080p. Even 720p would be ok (my TV isn't fullHD), so I was thinking about a GPU that costs ~140€. + 40€ for a Gamepad, so it'll cost me the same as a new xbox360.

I know that games (thx steamsales) for the PC are damn cheap, but xbox360 games aren't that expensive too, at least the ones I want at the moment.

I just don't know what to do. Any advise? /:

I built my first PC yesterday and it all went surprisingly well. I was dreading it because I had visions that I'd switch it on and it would go wrong.

The only problems I encountered was Windows update not working but I sorted this out (deleted SoftwareDistribution folder within Windows) and a display issue (AMD Catalyst set to over or underscan - can't remember which).

The worse thing for me was doing up all the screws and the cable management. It leaves a lot to be desired at this time but is neat enough and isn't causing any issues in the case. I was just happy to get the computer working so I'll go back to neaten things up.

This thread has been invaluable to me such as finding out about the Reddit software swap (got a Win 7 key for around £10).

So Newegg's restocking fee is kind pretty silly, so I'd rather give a Gaffer a discount than ship it back to them.

Radeon R7 265 $135 + Shipping

The card is brand new, I took it out the box once because Reddit wanted me to verify that the box wasn't empty...

If you sign up for the free trial of Newegg Premier I believe they waive the restocking fee and shipping fee.

Do you guys feel it's going to be a worthwhile upgrade from the NVIDIA 600 range to the 800 range?
As I previously mentioned I have a GTX670 and it pains me that Tomb Raider can't run at 60fps. I want smoothness! I guess it's my fault for buying a new graphics card when the console transition was so close.

My 670 was fine. I didn't use TressFx (and I think I dropped shadow quality a little) but it ran at 1080/60 for me.

Isn't TressFx an unoptimised mess at this time?

bootski

So, as school end is coming near, I got time for gaming again.
But there is where the problem starts:
I lost interest in gaming back in 2010 and gave all my PC games to a friend, so I got ZERO. I have to start from scratch anyways, plus I'd rather have a gamepad instead of Keyboard+mouse.

Now that (I believe it's the GPU) my HD5870 broke, and i want to start gaming again, I have 2 options:

Option A: Buy a xbox360 (180€) and get the games I want. About 15 are avaible for PC too, but ~5 aren't (I could live without playing them). This would mean i have what I want. gaming + a gamepad.

Option B: Find out what really is broken in my PC (99% sure it's the GPU) and replace it. I got a Phenom II x4 965, 8 gig RAM and I'm fine with playing med-high at 1080p. Even 720p would be ok (my TV isn't fullHD), so I was thinking about a GPU that costs ~140€. + 40€ for a Gamepad, so it'll cost me the same as a new xbox360.

I know that games (thx steamsales) for the PC are damn cheap, but xbox360 games aren't that expensive too, at least the ones I want at the moment.

I just don't know what to do. Any advise? /:

just get a new video card. a gtx750 or something like this and a new controller shouldn't really cost you that much. you won't be running anything like homie up there with the 780Ti but you'll be able to hold your own.

the price might be comparable to a xbox360 but you'll be able to start building a forward compatible library whereas games are not gonna be made for the 360 after this year i wouldn't think

FlipJonesy

Neo Member
So if I install my old 2TB HDD with Windows 7 in it into a new PC, will my system reject it? Do I have to buy a new OS?

It depends what type of Windows 7 license you have. I think the license for the OEM build is 'single use' and tied to a specific motherboard. I've heard of people being able to get Microsoft support to reset their OEM license after calling them, but I don't have any personal experience with this so YMMV. If you have a retail copy of Windows 7, I think the tranfer is pretty straightforward, you might have to deactivate the old build, then reactivate Windows on the new build. I haven't done this in a little while do I'm not completely sure.

Also, there could be leftover driver files from your old build when you transfer your HDD that could give you issues with your new computer if the components are different. I think it would be best to do a clean reinstall.

jiggles

Banned
So, since switching to my PSU (Corsair RM1000) and case, I've noticed my GPU (MSI GTX 780Ti) whines a bit and it's driving me nuts, because I'm worried something's wrong.

It's at its worst when playing video cutscenes. The startup to Titanfall with the Respawn logo screetches loudly, then falls silent when the menu pops up, and gets a little whiny in-game following that, but nothing that the volume of the game itself doesn't drown out. In-game Starcraft II is worse, almost as bad as during those video scenes.

It may have been happening before, and I just didn't notice it because the last case was more soundproof than the new one. Is there anything I can do to help reduce it?

LilJoka

It's just coil whine, mine does it too on scenes with 1000fps
I use evga precision to cap fps at 60fps, then I don't have to deal with it.

b0bbyJ03

So, since switching to my PSU (Corsair RM1000) and case, I've noticed my GPU (MSI GTX 780Ti) whines a bit and it's driving me nuts, because I'm worried something's wrong.

It's at its worst when playing video cutscenes. The startup to Titanfall with the Respawn logo screetches loudly, then falls silent when the menu pops up, and gets a little whiny in-game following that, but nothing that the volume of the game itself doesn't drown out. In-game Starcraft II is worse, almost as bad as during those video scenes.

It may have been happening before, and I just didn't notice it because the last case was more soundproof than the new one. Is there anything I can do to help reduce it?

have you tried to diagnose what is causing the fan speed to increase? are you monitoring the temps/clock speeds?

Pollux

So, this might be a stupid question, but...

These are the Mac requirements for Crusader Kings II:

Mac System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core Duo Processor (2GHz or better)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 2 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750 / NVIDIA GeForce 320 / NVIDIA GeForce
9600 or higher, 1024MB graphics memory required

And, when looking at my "About this Mac" (A 2010/2011 can't remember which Macbook Air)

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hard Disk Space: 25+ GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

The processor and video card are what I'm really worried about. I recently got Europa Universalis III b/c I wasn't sure if I could run IV on my mac. I really want to try this game, but I'm not sure if I would even be able to run it at lower settings.

So, could I run it at reasonably well at lower settings or should I not even bother trying?

riflen

And, when looking at my "About this Mac" (A 2010/2011 can't remember which Macbook Air)

The processor and video card are what I'm really worried about. I recently got Europa Universalis III b/c I wasn't sure if I could run IV on my mac. I really want to try this game, but I'm not sure if I would even be able to run it at lower settings.

So, could I run it at reasonably well at lower settings or should I not even bother trying?

Mac :/
You're significantly under spec there in VRAM and CPU speed. I can't speak from experience concerning Mac OS games, but on PC I wouldn't even try to run a game when you have 1/4 of the VRAM required. It might run, but the experience is likely to be quite far from what I would consider fun. Worst case, it wont run at all.

scogoth

A macbook air is not going to be good for any gaming. You can try it but I'm guessing it will get at best 20fps at lowest settings.

Pollux

Mac :/
You're significantly under spec there in VRAM and CPU speed. I can't speak from experience concerning Mac OS games, but on PC I wouldn't even try to run a game when you have 1/4 of the VRAM required. It might run, but the experience is likely to be quite far from what I would consider fun. Worst case, it wont run at all.

A macbook air is not going to be good for any gaming. You can try it but I'm guessing it will get at best 20fps at lowest settings.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll just save the $40 now and pick it up later this year when I finally build a PC.

Thanks, guys.

Nakazato

Well in going to go with the the 750ti ftw since evga has the step up program and if I'm not blown away ill upgrade to a 760-770 and buy a new ps

Ban Puncher

Is there anything that can remove or buff minor scratches on an LCD screen matte?

Had this happen to me a while back and this is what I did. Get a piece of brown cardboard (like off a box) about 10cm/2 inches in length and fold it in half. Use the folded end like a blade and rub it against the mark on your LCD screen. Should take it off after a bit of rubbing then give it a clean with some Windex and a cloth.

jiggles

Banned
have you tried to diagnose what is causing the fan speed to increase? are you monitoring the temps/clock speeds?

It's not the fans. I've stress-tested the GPU a bunch of times with FurMark and it's never sounded like this during that. And the MSI Gaming App lets me test the fans at 100% and it doesn't sound like that either.

It's just coil whine, mine does it too on scenes with 1000fps
I use evga precision to cap fps at 60fps, then I don't have to deal with it.

Hmm. I have Nvidia's Adaptive Vsync on for Titanfall, but off for everything else, which might explain why Starcraft II's so much worse (and I guess it's ignored during the opening movies). The only other games I've played since I switched cases and PSU were Hearthstone and Diablo III, and I didn't really notice it in Hearthstone (but I might have Vsync on). Diablo III's movie cutscenes were riddled with it, but I can't remember if it was in-game too.

I guess I'll stick on Fraps to see if the frame-rate is skyrocketing during video intros. I think I read somewhere too that coil whine can be reduced if I split the GPU power over two PCI-E cables instead of the one Y-cable. Any truth to that?

EDIT: Okay, first load with Fraps on, there's actually no whine, and the rate is capped at 60. So I guess it was actually applying the Vsync setting this time and it wasn't before, for some reason. So I knock the Vsync off and it whines while hitting 2000+fps. I guess I'll just blanket-apply adaptive Vsync to all applications in the driver settings. I can't think why I'd ever want rates over 60fps, given it's a 60Hz panel.

just get a new video card. a gtx750 or something like this and a new controller shouldn't really cost you that much. you won't be running anything like homie up there with the 780Ti but you'll be able to hold your own.

the price might be comparable to a xbox360 but you'll be able to start building a forward compatible library whereas games are not gonna be made for the 360 after this year i wouldn't think

Hm, well I don't care about being up-to-date or being able to play the newest games in 2 years too, so I really just need something for right now.

Would the gtx750 give me as good graphics as playing on the xbox360? Or even better?

And can I - in any way - compare it to my old HD5870? Is it about as good? I know the GTX is way cheaper than the HD used to be, but the HD is somewhat 4 1/2 years old and the GTX is brand new.

Hm, well I don't care about being up-to-date or being able to play the newest games in 2 years too, so I really just need something for right now.

Would the gtx750 give me as good graphics as playing on the xbox360? Or even better?

And can I - in any way - compare it to my old HD5870? Is it about as good? I know the GTX is way cheaper than the HD used to be, but the HD is somewhat 4 1/2 years old and the GTX is brand new.

The 750 will make games look next-gen compared to the 360.

mkenyon

Banned

The 750 Ti (which I assume is what you're talking about), is around the same performance as the GTX 580.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_580_review,14.html

That'll give you pretty good idea of the performance difference compared to your 5870.

Azzurri

It's amazing how a $500+ card 3 years ago is the same performance as a low tier card today. Still using mine today.

It's amazing how a $500+ card 3 years ago is the same performance as a low tier card today. Still using mine today.

Yep. This is why I don't mind holding onto my 560 Ti (not that I game a ton anyway recently)... whenever I do upgrade, it'll be night-and-day between them, even if I just stick to the X60 range of cards.

Tablo

Yeah the 750 Ti is an insane card.

Also, Crucial M550 announced :D
Marginal optimization of the M500 basically, not a drive that competes on the premise of pure performance, but has a bevy of features like DevSleep, eDrive support, and robust power loss protection.

I'm the type to trade performance for safety in the case of data storage, so don't look here if you want the fastest speeds possible, this is really a safe option and is priced accordingly like the M500 was, I mean you can get a 1 TB M500 for like 430$ now, that's nice. And it's good ol' MLC, none of that Sammie TLC stuff ;p (even if that's still good, just saying hehe)

http://anandtech.com/show/7864/crucial-m550-review-128gb-256gb-512gb-and-1tb-models-tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom