• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TokiDoki

What's the difference between the AMD R9 280X 3GB (+$150) and the GTX 770 4GB (+$150)?

Quite alot , the 280x is just a rebranded 7970 , you're better off with the 770 .

58682.png

So my video card died just as soon as my 1440p monitor arrived today. Now i am looking to purchase a new video card.

The only games i plan to play this year are Diablo 3, LoL, and Dota. I am currently looking at a 760 or 770 to purchase.

I can afford the 770 but I feel like it would better to save the money and just get a 760 as I am planning to purchase a maxwell card later on.

Do these games run well at 1440p on a 760? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
when is the maxwell card coming?

bro1

Banned
Just installed my EVGA GTX 780 Ti classified! Man, this card is massive. It runs silent and cool (72c max temp). Can't wait until my replacement from Qnix gets here so I can game at 1440P!

On a side note, I had to return a 290x I bought to Tigerdirect. That store is awful. What a dirty, scummy, blast from the 1990s. I don't know how they maintain a business.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just installed my EVGA GTX 780 Ti classified! Man, this card is massive. It runs silent and cool (72c max temp). Can't wait until my replacement from Qnix gets here so I can game at 1440P!

On a side note, I had to return a 290x I bought to Tigerdirect. That store is awful. What a dirty, scummy, blast from the 1990s. I don't know how they maintain a business.

This has been a common sentiment for quite a while now.

This is a dumb question, but do graphics cards only affect graphics? I didn't know if it was some kind of media catch-all. Like, as long as I have decent specs everywhere else the bare minimum graphics card in the Excellent - Best Overall template will be fine for music production, right?

scogoth

This is a dumb question, but do graphics cards only affect graphics? I didn't know if it was some kind of media catch-all. Like, as long as I have decent specs everywhere else the bare minimum graphics card in the Excellent - Best Overall template will be fine for music production, right?

Yes

Most people here build for gaming so the OP builds are designed to meet those requirements. If you want something specific post the form from the OP and people are more than willing to help. For music production the Excellent build (with a great DAC of course) will be... excellent

New build!

Build Excellent - Best Overall
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87M
RAM 2x8GB (16GB)
Graphics GTX 760 2GB
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Storage 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX (Already have a 1TB external harddrive)
Power Supply CORSAIR RM Series RM650
Case Define R4
Heatsink CM Hyper T4
Sound Card Xonar DGX

Total: $1270

Keyboard Logitech K750
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P

Grand Total: $1495

FLAguy954

Bought the 270 now to wait for it

*sits by door*

Going to find a 500w ps tomorrow

Lucky. I'm buying a component a month while saving for a car currently (just bought the 270 as well).

Next month will be either a z87 mobo or a 4670K if I can find a better deal than Micro Center (with tax it is around $200, looking to buy one a little less with deals online).

In regards to the PSU, I got this PSU if you are looking for a relatively good quality 500w PSU.

man is this 780 classy kick ass. Well worth the $400 lol.

Also way less hassle getting 3 monitors setup vs amd. I just installed the drivers and shit just worked o_O

physx is as dumb as i remember... but am sad that it runs like ass still (in batman origins).

I assume it works better sli.

Oddly enough AC4 still kinda runs like ass. hard to tell which settings are causing this o_O. It shouldn't be so hard to get this 1440p 60fps.

McBryBry

So my future career is more than likely going to involve quite a bit of audio production work and maybe even some video editing and production. Add gaming to that, should I be getting the i7 instead of the i5?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So my future career is more than likely going to involve quite a bit of audio production work and maybe even some video editing and production. Add gaming to that, should I be getting the i7 instead of the i5?

Yes, a 4770k.

mkenyon

Banned

Also way less hassle getting 3 monitors setup vs amd. I just installed the drivers and shit just worked o_O

physx is as dumb as i remember... but am sad that it runs like ass still (in batman origins).

I assume it works better sli.

Oddly enough AC4 still kinda runs like ass. hard to tell which settings are causing this o_O. It shouldn't be so hard to get this 1440p 60fps.
CPU?
Not too common, but my self-contained work is all-digital. I don't use (musical) keyboards for inputs or anything. For my current setup, I was looking at:

CPU i7 4770K 4C/8T
Motherboard BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X
RAM 2x8GB (16GB)
Graphics GTX 760 2GB
Power Supply BP550 Plus 550W
Case Fractal Arc Midi R2
Heatsink Xigmatek Gaia
Sound Card Xonar DGX

Keyboard Logitech K750
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P

Total: $1564.99

Can someone double-check and see if anything sounds immediately wrong here? For cases I was also looking at the $50 CM N400 just in case anything immediately wouldn't fit.

Both of you should consider the Xeon E3-1230V3. Its an i7 for the price of an i5. You get to save further by going with a B85 or H87 motherboard. The only downside is that you can't overclock it.
I'm not trusting the thread title.
Shame on you. SHAME.

But really, the difference between a 2500K and 4770K is marginal. Just over clock the shit out of it. 4.5-4.8 should be reasonable.

Really? I find Eyefinity to be a bit easier to set up than Surround. Neither presented any sort of challenge though.

Have you tried Borderlands 2? I thought it was pretty good there. Should run pretty well on a 780 too.

CPU bottleneck in places is my experience with that game. Remove vsync and log your GPU usage to a file and take a look. If it's not 90-100% then it's a CPU bottleneck. EDIT: Yeah a 4.2Ghz 3570K will bottleneck in towns.

mkenyon

Banned
CPU bottleneck in places is my experience with that game. Remove vsync and log your GPU usage to a file and take a look. If it's not 90-100% then it's a CPU bottleneck. EDIT: Yeah a 4.2Ghz 3570K will bottleneck in towns.
This is a common internet fallacy. You can't determine bottlenecks like that. A game with 2-3 threads can't tax your CPU to 100%.

mkenyon

Banned
GPU usage. I consider a GPU that is more than 10% idle in a game to be bottlenecked. With an unlocked framerate, it should be giving you as many frames as it possibly can.
Could be drivers, could be poor code, could be all sorts of things.

But really, you are almost always GPU bottlenecked, so it seems to be a weird thing to point out as an exception or issue.

Ellite25

Not too common, but my self-contained work is all-digital. I don't use (musical) keyboards for inputs or anything. For my current setup, I was looking at:

CPU i7 4770K 4C/8T
Motherboard BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87X
RAM 2x8GB (16GB)
Graphics GTX 760 2GB
Power Supply BP550 Plus 550W
Case Fractal Arc Midi R2
Heatsink Xigmatek Gaia
Sound Card Xonar DGX

Keyboard Logitech K750
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P

Total: $1564.99

Can someone double-check and see if anything sounds immediately wrong here? For cases I was also looking at the $50 CM N400 just in case anything immediately wouldn't fit.
I'd say get an i5 rather than an i7, take that $100 and buy a 770 instead.

Water

These days, a large part of a "graphics card" is computation power that can be used for tasks other than graphics. They are only good for a limited subset of computation, but within that subset, a fast GPU can be e.g. 20 times more powerful than the fastest CPU you can buy. Most media processing is a good fit for GPUs. The catch is that GPU acceleration has to be specifically coded into applications, and separately to every task within the app where the acceleration is desired.

So to know whether GPUs have any relevance to you, you should google a bit to check if the specific software you use for music production has GPU acceleration. If so, you should then check what functionality within the app is accelerated, and how much speedup is expected. No point in buying a good GPU if it makes some effects/filters/whatever lightning fast if you aren't using those particular things in the first place.

UrbanRats

Is it worth it to spend about 60€ more, for a 770 4gb, instead of a 770 2gb?
I'd be gaming on either a single 1920x1200p monitor or a 1080p plasma tv (depending on the circumstances).

I get that usually single monitor configurations don't need the 4gb, but does Anti-Aliasing affect that decision? Like if i want to push some MSAA or TXAA or whatever, am i better off with 4gb anyway? Also consider that i'd be keeping this GPU 2 years at the least (changing with Pascal, most likely).

I'd be gaming on either a single 1920x1200p monitor or a 1080p plasma tv (depending on the circumstances).

I get that usually single monitor configurations don't need the 4gb, but does Anti-Aliasing affect that decision? Like if i want to push some MSAA or TXAA or whatever, am i better off with 4gb anyway? Also consider that i'd be keeping this GPU 2 years at the least (changing with Pascal, most likely).

no, that is too steep

It's hard to say what developers will be doing one year from now. So I usually err on the side of caution, since I don't own a crystal ball.

But 60 euros is highway robbery

christ. One thing's for sure: you don't need it now, nor will you need it in the immediate future.

Water

My guess is that the worst that can happen with the 2GB in the next two years is that you have to go with "high" instead of "ultra" textures. If you want to spend more, spend it on all around performance and go right to the 780 (which also ups the VRAM to 3GB). A 770 2GB will be good until Pascal, a 780 will be fantastic until Pascal (and run any new game well beyond that point). The 780's performance is not a waste at 1200p, even with current games.

This may have been answered before in the thread, but is there a good guide online on how to connect and install everything, when building your PC? I am a complete amateur.

There used to be one in the OP (saying how you should apply thermal paste for example), but it's not there anymore.

Arksy

What I'd suggest is unplugging literally everything that you can. USB headers, USB 3.0 headers, SSD/HDDs, optical drives, any random other thing. Just keep CPU/mobo/GPU power, and the RAM in. Try booting that way. Then slowly add one thing at a time.

I'm not kidding, I had a Sabertooth board that would not boot with a GTX 580 Lightning when my USB 3.0 header was being used. Put in a 7970, no problem. Unplug USB 3.0 header, no problem.

Got it.

It worked when I shifted the card into another PCI-e slot.

It meant that I had to shift all the hard drives around a little bit but I don't care.

It works now, my system snapshot.

CPU: i7-2600k with coolermaster 212x cooler.
Mobo: P8Z68-v Pro
Ram: 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Video Card: Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X.
Boot drive: 256gb Intel SSD.

So I have an i5 2500K, can OC it, but i've got a 2GB Radeon 6950 and only 4GB of RAM. Is 'upgrading' my system literally as simple as buying a better graphics card, buying 8GB of DDR3, and swapping them in/downloading the graphics card drivers?

kennah

I'd say get an i5 rather than an i7, take that $100 and buy a 770 instead.
It's a media production computer, not a gaming one. The i7 is a better choice. Read the stream.

So I have an i5 2500K, can OC it, but i've got a 2GB Radeon 6950 and only 4GB of RAM. Is 'upgrading' my system literally as simple as buying a better graphics card, buying 8GB of DDR3, and swapping them in/downloading the graphics card drivers?

Yep. And don't forget to sell your 6950.

riflen

LilJoka

You are fussing over £20, and to take the following risks:
VTX - Crap RMA policy
Pixmania - Dodgy site, they will also have no tech knowledge for any queries support, returns.
Crap cooler

Get the Asus GTX 660 ive linked you twice already for a solid product. Though Gigabyte is preferred, atleast you can count on Asus quality to a greater extent than VTX.

Both of you should consider the Xeon E3-1230V3. Its an i7 for the price of an i5. You get to save further by going with a B85 or H87 motherboard. The only downside is that you can't overclock it.

I found the Xeon just fine, but are these the motherboards you're referring to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131996

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697

But yeah, I definitely think it'd be worth it to save money getting those two and then be able to invest in a 750w power supply. I'm taking it the H87 is more powerful? Might as well go with that if I can't overclock it.

Can anyone vouch for a cheap, good-quality bluetooth mouse? When I say "cheap," I mean $50 or less. I don't need it for aiming or to have zero input latency or anything ridiculous.

I've been living in South Carolina where we didn't have any pc stores. Now I have Frys, micro center, and tigerdirect to pick from. Loving how nice and clean Frys is.

Yea i live in Charleston, no idea where the nearest Fry's is. Probably Charlotte, it hurts since i used to live close to Denver and it was heaven.

bro1

Banned
Yea i live in Charleston, no idea where the nearest Fry's is. Probably Charlotte, it hurts since i used to live close to Denver and it was heaven.
Just moved from Summerville to Chicagoland and it's night and day. Sherman should have burned the south down when he had the chance.

kharma45

I found the Xeon just fine, but are these the motherboards you're referring to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131996

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697

But yeah, I definitely think it'd be worth it to save money getting those two and then be able to invest in a 750w power supply. I'm taking it the H87 is more powerful? Might as well go with that if I can't overclock it.

Can anyone vouch for a cheap, good-quality bluetooth mouse? When I say "cheap," I mean $50 or less. I don't need it for aiming or to have zero input latency or anything ridiculous.

You won't need a PSU of that power unless you're going SLI/CF.

Bleepey

You are fussing over £20, and to take the following risks:
VTX - Crap RMA policy
Pixmania - Dodgy site, they will also have no tech knowledge for any queries support, returns.
Crap cooler

Get the Asus GTX 660 ive linked you twice already for a solid product. Though Gigabyte is preferred, atleast you can count on Asus quality to a greater extent than VTX.

I don't know what Rma policy means. Also the odd £20 adds up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom