• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

The PSU recommendation is legit, as the one that you've picked I would not ever buy for my own machine. The Noctua one is not.

If you are not going to overclock, you should look at the E3-1230V3 processor. It's an i7 that you can't overclock. You can also reduce the overall price by then going with an H87 or B85 chipset motherboard, as opposed to Z87.
Thanks for your input.

What's wrong with the CS650? I've been googling a bit on both and it seems Corsair have been cheap with capacitors on some models, but what's good or bad in which model and when, (edit: Now I'm seeing another review that claims the capacitors in the RM650 are high-quality Japanese ones. *shrug*). I guess the fact that the RM650 runs fanless at lower loads worries me a bit, then again, they do offer 5 years of warranty on it so I have to imagine they have some faith in it. Just hope I don't get any weird coil whine, I already had that on my current GTX260 graphics card and it's the worst.

As for the CPU, I'll be getting an 4770 (non-K) on an H87 motherboard. That Xeon thing is interesting and I'll read up on it, though the store I've ordered this from do not seem to carry any other Xeons than the E5-2680 2.7GHz. Noctua not a good recommendation, as in bad or just unnecessary?

You absolutely need to ship it in a anti-static bag. Then just pad it.

oh yeah anti static! knew i was missing something.

a lot of talk about titan z atm and multimonitor setups. Are there monitors that are near bezel less? I've seen some tv's but haven't seen any monitors.

McBryBry

So I've posted on here about this before, but I want to hear some more opinions on it.

It's the ever popular AMD vs Intel talk.

So, as I've seen on here, Intel is the better to go with. But according to my friend and all of his buddies, AMD is the way to go and what they've all built with. He likes to pull the fact that he's the "hardware guy" with them all, and that he's almost done with school for programming. He defends AMD with his life and probably will forever. Why is it though, that anyone I ask who isn't that group of guys says Intel is better for gaming? I don't understand it.

mkenyon

Banned
oh yeah anti static! knew i was missing something.

a lot of talk about titan z atm and multimonitor setups. Are there monitors that are near bezel less? I've seen some tv's but haven't seen any monitors.
You can remove bezels on most monitors.
So I've posted on here about this before, but I want to hear some more opinions on it.

So, as I've seen on here, Intel is the better to go with. But according to my friend and all of his buddies, AMD is the way to go and what they've all built with. He likes to pull the fact that he's the "hardware guy" with them all, and that he's almost done with school for programming. He defends AMD with his life and probably will forever. Why is it though, that anyone I ask who isn't that group of guys says Intel is better for gaming? I don't understand it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105518879&postcount=9470

Haz thinks I overstated the power issue, and that might be true a little bit. But the performance stuff is 100% valid. That right there is totally verifiable empirical evidence run by the best testers in the business.

Miguel81

Intel has better IPC, plus lower power requirements. That friend of yours seems emotionally invested in a brand, and that's not the type of person you should listen to.

You can definitely make some arguments on lower price points. Not saying they are right, but I can kind of logically understand that. If they however also recommend AMD for the higher processors they are probably just fanboys and that is pretty much the reason.

Miguel81

Guys, is there some reason for the lack of Full Size Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice? Almost all wireless kits use proprietary RF. It just seems really odd because it makes it a hassle to mix and match.

mkenyon

Banned
You can definitely make some arguments on lower price points. Not saying they are right, but I can kind of logically understand that. If they however also recommend AMD for the higher processors they are probably just fanboys and that is pretty much the reason.
Nope. i3 and low end i5 > 6300.
Guys, is there some reason for the lack of Full Size Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice? Almost all wireless kits use proprietary RF. It just seems really odd because it makes it a hassle to mix and match.
Input lag and compatibility.

Arksy

That's not compatibility, that's a dead GPU. You need to RMA it. What makes you think it's not compatible?

Tried two 290x's and neither worked, and then tried one on another PC and it worked. My old 6950 1gb worked in the same slot. So it can't be the video card, the motherboard does work, the cpu and all other components still work.

The only thing that remains is compatibility....right?

jctace

Neo Member
I think I'm finished.
Cabling isn't the cleanest yet.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K OCed to 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 140mm
Motherboard: MSI Big Bang - XPower II XL ATX LGA 2011 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage:Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: A-Data XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk x2 Raid-0
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 1200W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

WApEqBm.jpg
fAgqyLB.jpg
v2PYdrm.jpg

And don't ask about the 2 optical drives.

McBryBry

Another question, mouse related. My parents got me a laptop for Christmas for my work (praise them) and they also grabbed a Logitech M325 wireless mouse. Is this a good mouse for a gaming computer? Or should I look into a different one?

mkenyon

Banned
Pics of epic rig
What's with the two optical drives?

:p
Tried two 290x's and neither worked, and then tried one on another PC and it worked. My old 6950 1gb worked in the same slot. So it can't be the video card, the motherboard does work, the cpu and all other components still work.

The only thing that remains is compatibility....right?
No, because it's compatible, no ifs ands or buts about it. Could be a driver issue, try sweeping those clean before putting your new card in. Could be PSU related. Could be a slight mistake on the installation.
Another question, mouse related. My parents got me a laptop for Christmas for my work (praise them) and they also grabbed a Logitech M325 wireless mouse. Is this a good mouse for a gaming computer? Or should I look into a different one?
Depends on how comfortable it is for you and how picky you are regarding input lag. But, no, it's not a good gaming mouse. It could be serviceable though.

Ellite25

Question:

W7 is now installed on my new SSD and my previous HDD is now hooked up again as the non-boot drive. All the stuff on my HDD says corrupt now when I try to click on it. Should I reformat it now since its no longer the my only storage drive?

Miguel81

Wouldn't you prefer one with side buttons? I use an M510 which I like, but only for the HTPC.

Arksy

No, because it's compatible, no ifs ands or buts about it. Could be a driver issue, try sweeping those clean before putting your new card in. Could be PSU related. Could be a slight mistake on the installation.

Driver issue on a clean install? No display from the card even on the bios? I did a reformat as well half way through and still got the same issue.

I do have a niggling suspicion that it could be a PSU issue, but I tested the PC on a 700w power supply as well and got the same issue.

What kind of slight mistake on installation could it be?

mkenyon

Banned
I said don't ask! :p

But like no joke everyone that I have showed it to has been like wtf why. I got one then the other and it was just as easy to add another as to just swap them.
No time for hardware swaps when you need to solo lane WR.
Driver issue on a clean install? No display from the card even on the bios? I did a reformat as well half way through and still got the same issue.

I do have a niggling suspicion that it could be a PSU issue, but I tested the PC on a 700w power supply as well and got the same issue.

What kind of slight mistake on installation could it be?
What I'd suggest is unplugging literally everything that you can. USB headers, USB 3.0 headers, SSD/HDDs, optical drives, any random other thing. Just keep CPU/mobo/GPU power, and the RAM in. Try booting that way. Then slowly add one thing at a time.

I'm not kidding, I had a Sabertooth board that would not boot with a GTX 580 Lightning when my USB 3.0 header was being used. Put in a 7970, no problem. Unplug USB 3.0 header, no problem.

jctace

Neo Member
No time for hardware swaps when you need to solo lane WR.
Actually my play time with her has dropped off significantly

I'm not kidding, I had a Sabertooth board that would not boot with a GTX 580 Lightning when my USB 3.0 header was being used. Put in a 7970, no problem. Unplug USB 3.0 header, no problem.

I actually had a motherboard that would do the same thing would not boot with a usb keyboard plugged in.

yay, my 780 classy arrived :D

too bad seller forgot to send the 2 pci express 8pin adapter thingies with it.

index.php

could someone link me on newegg which ones i should buy from the guru3d pic above? Are those just 6pin to 8pin?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks @ the guy who made the Zalman CNPS joke. Got me to second guess my order and look around a little bit. Found a refurbished Corsair H100i for 65 dollars shipped.

Unless I broke something my processor is idling at 18c

Installation was super easy and actually, I would recommend it even for beginners.

I'll explode into confetti in this thread if it starts leaking or something. So far so good though.

mkenyon

Banned

index.php

could someone link me on newegg which ones i should buy from the guru3d pic above? Are those just 6pin to 8pin?

Thanks in advance!
Does your PSU not have PCI-E cables?

scogoth

index.php

Thanks in advance!

Your PSU doesn't have enough PCIe connectors? You shouldn't need to use the adapters.

EDIT: really? like 5 secs too late?

Trigger is being pulled very soon, does this all look good for an around-£850 budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.17 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.86 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£121.00 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£52.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.65 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£190.33 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.65 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.79 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Cherry G80-3850LYBGB-2 Wired Standard Keyboard (£52.49 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro (r/softwareswap) (£15.00)
Total: £859.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 22:17 GMT+0000)

RaoulDuke

Non-K processor and Z87 motherboard = madness.

I wonder who put that bundle together, because it makes no sense.

I agree that its odd to have them together, but i'm not planning on overclocking and this seems to be about the cheapest I can get into a i5+mobo+ram deal I have seen.

Can any of this equipment be bought at Best Buy for a reasonable price? I've got a couple hundred on a gift card for there and didn't know if it would come in handy at all.

How decent of a PC could I realistically afford for $1500? That includes just about every perhipheral (even monitor) but the mouse, btw.

scogoth

Whoa, sorry for being a few hours behind but wow. Good on Nvidia for hanging it all out there and going balls out crazy into the future. New interface, stackable GPUs, layered memory, $3000 GPUs. Next couple years are going to be interesting.

Bleepey

Yes, Z87 boards are what you get if you get a 'K' processor.

I really recommend the cases in the OP. I buy more cases than any part, and those that are listed are really the best.

It really depends on the case/PSU combo in question on whether or not they're worth getting. The Silverstone, EVGA, and some CoolerMaster ones are good.

No way of RMA'ing your video card? 3 year warranty is standard.

Diablo 3, LoL, and Dota 2 will all benefit most from a highly overclocked processor. A 760 should do just fine at 1440p. Though, given the fast paced nature of those games, 120Hz is where it's at.

The PSU recommendation is legit, as the one that you've picked I would not ever buy for my own machine. The Noctua one is not.

If you are not going to overclock, you should look at the E3-1230V3 processor. It's an i7 that you can't overclock. You can also reduce the overall price by then going with an H87 or B85 chipset motherboard, as opposed to Z87.

Why do you go through so many cases lol? Can you recommend a case and PSU combo for £50 or less? Should I go for a beefier CPU but a cheaper non k motherboard? It's looking like £220 minimum for an i5 4670k and z87 mobo and I wanna see if there is anything better.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I was running Passmark for shits and giggles, and when it gets to the directcompute test, my computer just restarts. Is my card drawing too much power on this test, wtf? it's a 780 at stock speeds, and I have a EVGA Supernove NEX750B.

Cyrix

Neo Member
Can any of this equipment be bought at Best Buy for a reasonable price? I've got a couple hundred on a gift card for there and didn't know if it would come in handy at all.

How decent of a PC could I realistically afford for $1500? That includes just about every perhipheral (even monitor) but the mouse, btw.

Best Buy always seemed to be overpriced and have poor selection, butthe last time i looked at PC parts in a BB was probably 3 years ago.

1500 will buy you a pretty great PC even having to include a monitor, just read the OP:
excellent build at ~1030 monitor about 250, lets round up and say 1350 that leaves $150 for what, a keyboard, maybe speakers? It's plenty, and if you need more for peripherals for some reason you could drop to the best value build and still have a great gaming rig.

Best Buy always seemed to be overpriced and have poor selection, but i looked at them in a BB in probably 3 years ago.

1500 will buy you a pretty great PC even having to include a monitor, just read the OP:
excellent build at ~1030 monitor about 250, lets round up and say 1350 that leaves $150 for what, a keyboard, maybe speakers? It's plenty, and if you need more for peripherals for some reason you could drop to the best value build and still have a great gaming rig.

It'll mainly be for my DAW, Photoshop, Illustrator and (hopefully) UE4. I'm looking to start developing a game, but I'm never going to go any higher than 1080p as a native resolution for it, if that. With that in mind, are there any particular processors or other components that I shouldn't invest in buying significant (optional) upgrades for?

EDIT: Probably worth clarifying that beyond my pet projects, I don't ever PC game. I'm not looking for a ultra high-fidelity gaming rig, graphically speaking.

Citizen K

How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£127.19 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£53.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.96 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£81.46 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£32.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.72 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£16.00 @ Reddit)
Monitor: Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-B1 23" LED IPS Monitor (£125.00 @ ebuyer.com)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN3800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£19.98 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£20.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £696.05
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 07:53 GMT+0000)

I've reduced the case down to the Cooler Master N200 (still an excellent case and a bit smaller), popped in a decent B85 mATX motherboard, good quality EVGA power supply, swapped the wireless adapter for one that fits inside the machine, included Windows and picked a suitable graphics card to go with it.

Thanks, I've looked through it and it looks good! I will be ordering soon :)

Cyrix

Neo Member
It'll mainly be for my DAW, Photoshop, Illustrator and (hopefully) UE4. I'm looking to start developing a game, but I'm never going to go any higher than 1080p as a native resolution for it, if that. With that in mind, are there any particular processors or other components that I shouldn't invest in buying significant (optional) upgrades for?

EDIT: Probably worth clarifying that beyond my pet projects, I don't ever PC game. I'm not looking for a ultra high-fidelity gaming rig, graphically speaking.

you're getting a bit out of my wheelhouse now, but that excellent build is a pretty powerful machine, I do know from some musician friends that DAW style sound cards (lots of I/O, midi, etc.) can be pretty pricey so that could be a consideration. As you wouldn't be gaming though i suppose you could opt for a cheaper GPU to offset some of that cost, but I think someone else could probably answer this better.

you're getting a bit out of my wheelhouse now, but that excellent build is a pretty powerful machine, I do know from some musician friends that DAW style sound cards (lots of I/O, midi, etc.) can be pretty pricey so that could be a consideration. As you wouldn't be gaming though i suppose you could opt for a cheaper GPU to offset some of that cost, but I think someone else could probably answer this better.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and lay out a rough benchmark by the end of the night.

Serandur

Hm, I've got an offer for a reasonable price on an R9 290 (I guess, in light of just how high I've seen the price soar), but I was wondering, before I buy, if there was anyway to manually set voltage and clock settings for all sorts of different scenarios as I noticed the R9s draw a lot of power when simply watching videos/blu-ray and I'd like to prevent that if possible. I haven't had an AMD/ATi GPU in quite some time, so I'm not familiar with what's going on on that front. How's the downsampling support scene?

Holy shit, sweet fucking deal on a R9 270 ($162 with promo code VMEMADNESS):
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/21cmrf/gpu_msi_r9_270_2g_16199_w_vme_code_vmemadness/

Just want to comment on this for everyone, that VMEMADNESS code makes you pay through Visa's new direct checking service and gives you 10% off on any Newegg item for up to $25 off, as far as I recall. I'm personally using it on a 3770K for example, and it works. I think the code can only be used once or up to $25 total per person though.

elektrixx

Banned
I'm not trusting the thread title. Everything except my CPU is within ultra spec for Watch Dogs. If I can't get at least locked 30 on ultra I'll replace my i5 2500K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom