• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok People, I finally finished my rig.

i5-4670K
AMD R9 290 Sapphire Tri-x OC 4GB
8GB Ram
500GB Seagate Momentus Hybrid
2TB Seagate Barracuda
Replaced all the fans with Noctua
Bitfenix Prodigy Case
Corsair 650W PSU
Asrock Mobo MiniITX
In total it cost me $1345 AUD :)

Maxes everything at 30-60fps @ 2K :)

Here is some examples of what it's capable of.

This is skyrim @ max + 2k res with over 100 mods + ENB.

For full folder of shitty steam screenshot quality visit Skyrim Screenshots
Two bonus shots, warning NSFW Gore and nudity Gore Mod

Thanks for all your help guys and girls of neogaf :)
8nt3eXI.jpg

noire

Unconfirmed Member
So, my 11 year old nephew is getting into PC gaming. Their home computer is an HP p6310y
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4120042&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

He has played minecraft for a year or two and just tried buying Rust but couldn't get it to run. I think it's due to the integrated graphics card, but I'm half of the country away, so pretty much guessing at this point. He got a hard lesson in PC requirements and troubleshooting. He's looking at Primal Carnage now, and I warned him that he might have the same issues.

What do you guys think? Should I look for a dedicated GPU? What's the best bet for a system that old?

kennah

Oof. X4 640. He's gonna run into trouble no matter what. But a 750Ti would be a hell of an upgrade that doesn't need a better power supply.

So, my 11 year old nephew is getting into PC gaming. Their home computer is an HP p6310y

He has played minecraft for a year or two and just tried buying Rust but couldn't get it to run. I think it's due to the integrated graphics card, but I'm half of the country away, so pretty much guessing at this point. He got a hard lesson in PC requirements and troubleshooting. He's looking at Primal Carnage now, and I warned him that he might have the same issues.

What do you guys think? Should I look for a dedicated GPU? What's the best bet for a system that old?

If it takes PCI-E?

Then definitely get a dedicated GPU. Nvidia 770 or 280 are decently priced, at least here in aus.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Is this it?

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/si...ac.admitted=1395847885965.876444892.199480143

Get a 750 Ti and pray the 300W power supply is quality enough.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
750ti works off of bus power (no extra power needed) with the strength and speed of a 580. Hell of a card.

From what I've seen, a lot of 750 Tis have a 6-pin power slot. (Not sure if it's "needed" or not, I'm just saying it's there.)

That and I'm not sure how reliable the PSU would be with being a generic PC and all.

mkenyon

Banned
I found the Xeon just fine, but are these the motherboards you're referring to?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131996

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697

But yeah, I definitely think it'd be worth it to save money getting those two and then be able to invest in a 750w power supply. I'm taking it the H87 is more powerful? Might as well go with that if I can't overclock it.

Can anyone vouch for a cheap, good-quality bluetooth mouse? When I say "cheap," I mean $50 or less. I don't need it for aiming or to have zero input latency or anything ridiculous.
I'd suggest this Gigabyte H87, unless you need more than one PCI-E slot for videocards.

If you have any specific requirements in terms of number of PCI-E slots, or required devices, I can put together a list that ought to make you pretty damned happy. Since it's for audio work, I could even tailor it to be pretty much silent.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
My computer is mostly for video editing, but I also have no consoles and don't want one, do you think this setup will last me a while gaming at 1080p?

i7 3770k
gtx 670
16 gig ram

was thinking of buying a 770 and selling the 670 or just getting another 670 and going the SLI route, but is it even worth it if I'm only gonna be using a 1080p display?

mkenyon

Banned
My computer is mostly for video editing, but I also have no consoles and don't want one, do you think this setup will last me a while gaming at 1080p?

i7 3770k
gtx 670
16 gig ram

was thinking of buying a 770 and selling the 670 or just getting another 670 and going the SLI route, but is it even worth it if I'm only gonna be using a 1080p display?
Though I am almost always loathe to ever recommend SLI setups, I think the 670 is in a position where getting a second one is the only move that makes sense. It has such amazing performance for the $, that any single card upgrade seems really inefficient. Getting a second card puts your performance a good amount above a 780 when SLI profiles are working. When they're not, you still have a 670, which is a great card.

Plus, you can find them used for super cheap at this point.

But your setup is rock solid.

UrbanRats

no, that is too steep

It's hard to say what developers will be doing one year from now. So I usually err on the side of caution, since I don't own a crystal ball.

But 60 euros is highway robbery

christ. One thing's for sure: you don't need it now, nor will you need it in the immediate future.

My guess is that the worst that can happen with the 2GB in the next two years is that you have to go with "high" instead of "ultra" textures. If you want to spend more, spend it on all around performance and go right to the 780 (which also ups the VRAM to 3GB). A 770 2GB will be good until Pascal, a 780 will be fantastic until Pascal (and run any new game well beyond that point). The 780's performance is not a waste at 1200p, even with current games.

Thanks folks.

I was kind of considering the 780ti, but it's kind of out budget, if i also plan to get a ps4 before year's end(maybe this Fall).

I can get a 770(2gb) for around 260€, +60€ for a 4gb and around 550€ for a 780ti.

UrbanRats

404€ is the lowest i see it (by Gigabyte).

How much worse is the 780, compared to the TI? And how better compared to the 770? Can't search for benchmarks now.

I'd suggest this Gigabyte H87, unless you need more than one PCI-E slot for videocards.

If you have any specific requirements in terms of number of PCI-E slots, or required devices, I can put together a list that ought to make you pretty damned happy. Since it's for audio work, I could even tailor it to be pretty much silent.

The main, resource-intensive programs I'm using are Acoustica Mixcraft, Photoshop and Illustrator CC, UE4, and maybe Sony Vegas. I was looking to fit it all in a Fractal Arc Midi R2 case. Other than that, I have no specific hardwarw requirements. I was looking for an i7 or equivalent processor and 16 gigs of RAM, though.

mkenyon

Banned
The main, resource-intensive programs I'm using are Acoustica Mixcraft, Photoshop and Illustrator CC, UE4, and maybe Sony Vegas. I was looking to fit it all in a Fractal Arc Midi R2 case. Other than that, I have no specific hardwarw requirements. I was looking for an i7 or equivalent processor and 16 gigs of RAM, though.
Any audio devices?

Might suggest a Define R4 as well. The type of hardware you'd be putting in there wouldn't necessitate the additional airflow you get with an Arc, and would be much more quiet.

404€ is the lowest i see it (by Gigabyte).

How much worse is the 780, compared to the TI? And how better compared to the 770? Can't search for benchmarks now.

5-10% performance.

think i might get another 780 later this year when i can get a used one for cheap.

what kind of psu would yall recommend for sli?

Any audio devices?

Might suggest a Define R4 as well. The type of hardware you'd be putting in there wouldn't necessitate the additional airflow you get with an Arc, and would be much more quiet.

I'm definitely a fan of the Define R4 in black, because the upward USB ports were kind of a selling point for me.

Weird setup, but save for an old wacom tablet, I don't have too many hardware perhipherals, none sound. Most of my work is digital, hence the emphasis on getting a decent CPU, RAM, etc.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm definitely a fan of the Define R4 in black, because the upward USB ports were kind of a selling point for me.

Weird setup, but save for an old wacom tablet, I don't have too many hardware perhipherals, none sound. Most of my work is digital, hence the emphasis on getting a decent CPU, RAM, etc.
Go for that motherboard I linked earlier with the Xeon E3-1230V3, 16GB of RAM, Define R4, and a PSU of your choice (RM 650 or Seasonic G 650 are both really quiet, Corsair more so). That'll give you the option of any video card you want. Add in a heatsink like the CM Hyper T4 or 212 Evo. That'll give you a nearly silent running PC.

Go for that motherboard I linked earlier with the Xeon E3-1230V3, 16GB of RAM, Define R4, and a PSU of your choice (RM 650 or Seasonic G 650 are both really quiet, Corsair more so). That'll give you the option of any video card you want. Add in a heatsink like the CM Hyper T4 or 212 Evo. That'll give you a nearly silent running PC.

Goddamn. Thanks for the quick responses! These updated specs (keyboard and monitor included) have me at a total of 1495, which sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. I'll post the updated specs once I'm off work.

Bleepey

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3gTAL

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.12 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.43 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£131.43 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Zalman Z5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.32 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£20.00 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £466.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-26 19:47 GMT+0000)

It's gonna be about £450 or so. Thanks for the help. I am not sure if I should use the ram below or even if I can but I am pulling the trigger tomorrow and hopefully will be building it on Saturday.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003OSTE1G/

xemumanic

I've been reading this thread for a while, and I think this is the perfect place for the question I have, better than starting a whole new thread.

So, I have recently did an upgrade, from a Core 2 Duo E6850 4GB of RAM, and a MSI 560 Ti TF II, to an Core i7 4471 16GB of RAM, and the same 560. I had planned to stay with the 560 (seeing as it had been bottlenecked by the C2D the whole time I had it), and would upgrade when the 20nm Maxwell cards came out, probably going with the what I assume would be called the 870. Problem is, one of the fans on the 560 is going, so I decided to give the card to my brother (he's on a 9800 GTX+), who will spend the time and ~$25-50 to replace the fan, and I would get another card in the meanwhile to tide me over.

I had originally planned to get a 750 Ti, but now I'm not so sure. It's got half the ROPs (32 vs 16 I believe) and memory bandwidth (128 vs 256), but does have twice the VRAM (2GB vs 1GB). I paid $229 for the 560 Ti, and a 750 Ti would be $159, and may not even be any better in the long run. I'm not talking about the added features such as ShadowPlay, and I already get adaptive VSync, I'm just concerned about raw performance. This however, is just a temp card like I say, but I don't want to spend what's almost the same price as my 560 was 3 years later to only get basically the same performance.

So I've been looking at the 760, specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933 this one from EVGA. Should I get it, or should I go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024 EVGA 750 Ti What do you guys think?

kennah

I've been reading this thread for a while, and I think this is the perfect place for the question I have, better than starting a whole new thread.

So, I have recently did an upgrade, from a Core 2 Duo E6850 4GB of RAM, and a MSI 560 Ti TF II, to an Core i7 4471 16GB of RAM, and the same 560. I had planned to stay with the 560 (seeing as it had been bottlenecked by the C2D the whole time I had it), and would upgrade when the 20nm Maxwell cards came out, probably going with the what I assume would be called the 870. Problem is, one of the fans on the 560 is going, so I decided to give the card to my brother (he's on a 9800 GTX+), who will spend the time and ~$25-50 to replace the fan, and I would get another card in the meanwhile to tide me over.

I had originally planned to get a 750 Ti, but now I'm not so sure. It's got half the ROPs (32 vs 16 I believe) and memory bandwidth (128 vs 256), but does have twice the VRAM (2GB vs 1GB). I paid $229 for the 560 Ti, and a 750 Ti would be $159, and may not even be any better in the long run. I'm not talking about the added features such as ShadowPlay, and I already get adaptive VSync, I'm just concerned about raw performance. This however, is just a temp card like I say, but I don't want to spend what's almost the same price as my 560 was 3 years later to only get basically the same performance.

So I've been looking at the 760, specifically http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933 this one from EVGA. Should I get it, or should I go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024 EVGA 750 Ti What do you guys think?

750 Ti is close to a 580, so it would be an upgrade on what you have, just not a huge one. If you can spring for it, a 760 would be a significant upgrade, but obviously more expensive. Try and find a used 670 for about the price of the 750 Ti to hold you over until whatever the 870 is.

appaws

Banned

It's the perfect situation for this:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Upgrade-Story-Can-GTX-750-Ti-Convert-OEMs-PCs-Gaming-PCs

Edit: Beaten...Yeah, I know you have to read the whole thread before replying to something farther up!

New build!

Build Excellent - Best Overall
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87M
RAM 2x8GB (16GB)
Graphics GTX 760 2GB
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Storage 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX (Already have a 1TB external harddrive)
Power Supply CORSAIR RM Series RM650
Case Define R4
Heatsink CM Hyper T4
Sound Card Xonar DGX

Total: $1270

Keyboard Logitech K750
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P

Grand Total: $1495

Alright guys let's try again! i5 4440 + GTX760? Mobo is MSI H81M-P33 m-atx.
This is budget build. I will probably upgrade both mobo and CPU whenever a new socket comes out.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright guys let's try again! i5 4440 + GTX760? Mobo is MSI H81M-P33 m-atx.
This is budget build. I will probably upgrade both mobo and CPU whenever a new socket comes out.
Need way more info than that. Rest of the system? Budget?

I'd guess that you are carrying everything else over, and that you are getting the motherboard, proc, and video card? If so, those will perform pretty well.
I have a duel monitor set up, can I change which monitor my computer uses when booting? I gave a gtx 760.
It depends on the video card, but probably not.
New build!

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
RAM 2x8GB (16GB)
Graphics GTX 760 2GB
Case Define R4
Heatsink CM Hyper T4
Sound Card Xonar DGX

Keyboard Logitech K750
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P

Your mind will be blown with how quiet that is.

Get this 760: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGM8B6O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you don't need your external drive to be external, you could also tear it out of the enclosure and put it in the case.
Are you planning on running VM's with that?
Audio work. Am right with you on the VT-d, and it didn't sound like he was going to use it.

mug

New build!

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
RAM 2x8GB (16GB)
Graphics GTX 760 2GB
Case Define R4
Heatsink CM Hyper T4
Sound Card Xonar DGX

Keyboard Logitech K750
Monitor ASUS VS247H-P

Are you planning on running VMs with that?

mug

Audio work. Am right with you on the VT-d, and it didn't sound like he was going to use it.
Hard to say why he's going Xeon over i7 - even with "audio work". I also doubt that board will support a Xeon - which tend to favor ECC memory.

kiyomi

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3gTAL

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£64.12 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.43 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£131.43 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Zalman Z5 ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.32 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£20.00 @ Maplin Electronics)
Total: £466.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-26 19:47 GMT+0000)

It's gonna be about £450 or so. Thanks for the help. I am not sure if I should use the ram below or even if I can but I am pulling the trigger tomorrow and hopefully will be building it on Saturday.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003OSTE1G/
Just keep the Patriot RAM.

That mobo is not great for overclocking and is the lowest end ATX Z87 mobo you can get. Go for something better or ditch the 4670K and save money on both CPU and motherboard, grab a better GPU or add an SSD with the money you'd save. I was given similar advice, don't skimp on a motherboard if you want solid overclocks.

Stubo

"Buy cheap, buy twice" is definitely relevant here.

I know it's all about getting the best bang for your buck, but that RAM has some awful reviews, don't do that to yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom