• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
welcome to the cave-in club. if youre upgrading next year i would recommend looking at refurb'd 780s that come with a 1 year warranty.
Or used, which should come with at least a 2 year + some warranty.

They're going for ~$400-450 on the used market.

mkenyon

Banned
If something newer/better comes out that makes you regret your purchase, you can always offload used and upgrade for not too much out of pocket. If you're already buying a 780, I'm sure that's not a huge issue :p

2San

If something newer/better comes out that makes you regret your purchase, you can always offload used and upgrade for not too much out of pocket. If you're already buying a 780, I'm sure that's not a huge issue :p
True, I'm not really into the whole selling second hand thing though. I tend to hand them down to family members that need an upgrade (which they always do).

kennah

Wait what? Where have I been? I need to use this immediately so I can game on my air on the couch. Screw the shield.
1. Update steam client to most recent versions on both computers.
2. Log in on both computers while on the same network
3. On the MacBook Air select Installed on the drop down list.
4. Jesus H Christ.

KJ869

Anybody noticing any problems or missmatching? Aiming for reasonable power and pretty silent rig, but with reasonable options to overclock when the need comes. Gaming/Graphicdesign
Not going to buy from USA but from www.mindfactory.de

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jTax
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jTax/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jTax/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($136.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($121.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell U2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Antec Two Cool 140 Blue 33.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($10.47 @ Newegg)
Total: $2056.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-31 19:57 EDT-0400)

Zeus7

You've got some issues there.

Looks like the fan on the Seidon is likely setup as intake, while the fan right next to it is exhaust. You'll be cycling a bit of that hot air in a loop.

What i'd suggest you do is remove the rear most fan on the top so you can mount the Seidon as exhaust on the rear. Then move that rear most fan to where the Seidon currently is as exhaust.

Since you will need to remove the rear fan to mount the Siedon there, take that fan and mount it in the front/bottom/side as an intake.

Ahh, don't know why I never noticed this, that makes sense, I will get this done. Thanks very much for the help :)

Considering buying a 240gb SSD for my new desktop rig I'm going to build. How do I run it though? I've heard great things but I'm not sure. I've heard of installing Windows to your HDD and 'caching' a 64gb partition on the SSD, but I want to install windows to my SSD too.

Can I install windows on my SSD AND create a 64gb partition for caching? Is that a good idea? How do I do that? Create partitions before my windows install or can I do it afterwards?

Anyone have a surface pro or Asus t100 that they game on at all? My laptop is about dead and can't afford neither another gaming laptop or desktop. Hoping to be able to play Diablo 3 at all. It already runs like crap on my 360gtm carded laptop.

Bii

Considering buying a 240gb SSD for my new desktop rig I'm going to build. How do I run it though? I've heard great things but I'm not sure. I've heard of installing Windows to your HDD and 'caching' a 64gb partition on the SSD, but I want to install windows to my SSD too.

Can I install windows on my SSD AND create a 64gb partition for caching? Is that a good idea? How do I do that? Create partitions before my windows install or can I do it afterwards?

Have you built your PC yet? If not, just install Windows on the SSD. No need to do any SSD caching.

Mohonky

Well I got sick of my computer giving me DRAM errors and figured it was probly due for an upgrade anyway.

Current;

CPU - Intel Core i7 920
Mobo - Gigabyte X58-UD3R
RAM - Generic DDR3 1066mhz
SSD - None
Video - GTX670

Ordered;

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770k 3.5ghz
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
RAM - G.Skill Sniper Series 16gb (2x8gb) 1600mhz
SSD - 500GB Samsung 2.5" 840 Series
Video - GTX670

Should I notice a difference in gaming performance?

Marceles

Hi guys, long time lurker but finally looking into building my first computer. All of my computers prior to this have been premade, and the last two I've owned has been laptops, so I thought now would be a good time to build my own. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

I guess I'll start off with the questions:

Your Current Specs: (all terrible) I owned a Gateway P6860fx laptop. I upgraded to a T9300 2.5ghz from T5550 1.8 ghz / 4 gb RAM / 8800 GTS 512MB GPU / 250 GB 7200rpm HDD / 1 TB 7200rpm external WD HDD

Budget: $2.000.00 for all things needed, hopefully lower, not particularly a bad thing if it ends up a little over. I just don't want to be the person where I go overboard and end up not needing the things I have for what I want to do. I wouldn't mind getting a computer which can be fully upgradeable years later, but can run most of the games releasing the next couple years on max settings.

Main Use: 5, heavy gaming, also for music production and graphics editing, some 3D modeling as well. Also general use stuff

Monitor Resolution: Not really big on it since I've been laptop gaming for such a long time, but hopefully 1920 x 1080 monitors are cheap this days. Not looking to really impress people coming over the house with it.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Final Fantasy XIV are the main games I want to be able to play hopefully without a hiccup. PhysX and everything else isn't too important but I've been able to live without them. Sony Acid Pro and Sound Forge are the music programs. Maya and Photoshop.

When will you build?: ASAP, I'd start tomorrow if possible

Will you be overclocking?: Yes

So far I have this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jZYZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jZYZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jZYZ/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($402.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($29.71 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($25.27 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $2019.32

I've sort of hit a wall, probably don't need some of this, probably need more parts, but hopefully I can start building as soon as I can. I'm extremely excited and it's been a long time coming.

kennah

How much redundancy do you guys/gals use for your backups?
Windows machine - none. It's for games only.

MacBook - mirrored hard drives that are time machine backed up to a mirrored NAS in my house and a 1tb backup hard drive I keep in my drawer at work. There are also incremental dvd backups of pictures and a manual backup to another hard drive of important files every six months.

Smokey

He said he's keeping them because he can step up to 780ti 6GB? I thought they wouldn't be eligable because it's the same GPU, but idk.

They normally don't allow you to upgrade to the same GPU with more VRAM, but they are making an exception this time. Probably due to....

fucking hell

I guess I'll proceed with the x99 update then. Maybe throw another 780Ti in there for Tri-SLI on the new motherboard/case. Milk dat cow Nvidia.

edit: It is 4/1...maybe they are trolling....

Bii

So far I have this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jZYZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jZYZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3jZYZ/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($158.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($402.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($29.71 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($25.27 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $2019.32

I've sort of hit a wall, probably don't need some of this, probably need more parts, but hopefully I can start building as soon as I can. I'm extremely excited and it's been a long time coming.

You can get Windows 7/8 keys here: http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/
Some guy is selling them for $10 right now!

I would drop the wired network adapter. Your motherboard already comes with a network port. That's $105 saved that you can use to upgrade that 770 to a 780. XD

Hey I just ordered a GTX 760 to replace my HD 6850 and I was wondering what sort of process I would have to take to install the new Nvidia drivers?

Do I want to uninstall the AMD ones first, replace the old GPU with the new one, and then install the Nvidia drivers?

Or can I install the Nvidia drivers while the AMD ones are still installed?

Hey I just ordered a GTX 760 to replace my HD 6850 and I was wondering what sort of process I would have to take to install the new Nvidia drivers?

Do I want to uninstall the AMD ones first, replace the old GPU with the new one, and then install the Nvidia drivers?

I recommend you uninstall previous drivers, reboot, and throw the card in and install the drivers, then probably another reboot is required. Always works for me whenever I get a new card.

Just found a 400 dollar R9 290X Lightning. Shifting through the web finally paid off.

They normally don't allow you to upgrade to the same GPU with more VRAM, but they are making an exception this time. Probably due to....

fucking hell

I guess I'll proceed with the x99 update then. Maybe throw another 780Ti in there for Tri-SLI on the new motherboard/case. Milk dat cow Nvidia.

edit: It is 4/1...maybe they are trolling....

Nah it was posted yesterday. Plus, it's not particularly surprising.

This is why you don't always wait for things which are not officially announced. I feel bad for the "I'm just going to wait for Maxwell" folks.

vooglie

I want to build a PC to play Oculus Rift DK1 and CV1 games comfortably as well as play multiplat games @ 1080p60fps. What kind of machine do I need to build for that?

Thanks in advance

Edit: budget from 2000-2500 AUD

Lizardus

That's the exact upgrade I did, from 6850 to 760.

I want to build a PC to play Oculus Rift DK1 and CV1 games comfortably as well as play multiplat games @ 1080p60fps. What kind of machine do I need to build for that?

Thanks in advance

What's your budget?

Nah it was posted yesterday. Plus, it's not particularly surprising.

This is why you don't always wait for things which are not officially announced. I feel bad for the "I'm just going to wait for Maxwell" folks.
uh...maxwell has been announced. we know it's coming, the question is when. it is a new gen, meaning games will use that vram more than what they did during the past 2-3 years. from now on, we will get to see new animations, better physics, etc. instead of just brute-forcing graphics. the next year or two will see a bump in minimum requirements.

appaws

Banned
i guess building a pc is delayed for me as well.

Do you mean upgrading? Do you have any PC now at all?

If not, I don't get it. 2015 is 9 months away still...what is the point of waiting, there are so many amazing games to play. And they work really well with Kepler, Fermi, Volcanic Islands, Hawaii, etc....

Do you mean upgrading? Do you have any PC now at all?

If not, I don't get it. 2015 is 9 months away still...what is the point of waiting, there are so many amazing games to play. And they work really well with Kepler, Fermi, Volcanic Islands, Hawaii, etc....
nope. my laptop is crappy, although i am not too crazy about this gen's games anyways. played most of them on ps3 so i didn't miss out. laptop can play.the not too demanding indies, but i'm beginning to use it to play classics like nwn, diablo 2, orig deus ex, planescape, etc.

the point is it's an investment. the new gen is here so standards will get higher. not to start a war here, but the big aaa games are at the mercy of consoles. your pc sports a 2gb gddr5 yet besides graphics you're not getting any more sophisticated animations, ai, physics, etc. than the 256mb vram ps3 version. a new gen of consoles would mean newer everything on your pc games and not just better aa or sharper textures. especially now ps4 is sporting 5gb gddr5 and it may increase that allocation. we know that will get filled up and be surpassed. so just as games used and surpassed that 256mb vram on ps3, future games will reflect those changes on the ps4 which would mean on pc the reqs will only get higher. the cards right now are great for playing games, but in a year or two when those games will be using the minimum console specs which grew exponentially overnight, you'd want a card that's made for those games. ac5 alone looks to be a big jump. i just think a 2gb gddr5 isn't a good investment right now. games work fantastically on those cards but most games were built on last-gen engines with last-gen animations, physics, etc. then there are games like arms and witcher which come around once in a blue moon. one those games come out using the next-gen engines, we'll have to see.

Tablo

The good thing is the GTX 670 FTW I bought for 400$ summer 2012 is still holding out well enough, so I won't feel too bad if I need to keep waiting...
I wouldn't mind saving the cash when rebuilding this summer and waiting on replacing my GPU.
Unless 28nm Maxwell mid-high range happens and seems worth it.

We probably won't see 20nm Maxwell until April/May 2015 as the 900 series, but I think we're going to see a product refresh (800 series 28nm Maxwell) around Computex in early June. The Geforce GTX 780/ti 6gb seems to be a product to keep mind share until Computex.
i'll probably go maxwell 800 then skip 900 and then upgrade to pascal. in fact, that's what i'd probably do in the long run. upgrade whenever an even-numbered nvidia comes out.

jfoul

i'll probably go maxwell 800 then skip 900 and then upgrade to pascal. in fact, that's what i'd probably do in the long run. upgrade whenever an even-numbered nvidia comes out.

I'll probably do the same thing. I just can't see Nvidia waiting almost two years to refresh their product line. I was impressed with what they did with the 750ti (28nm Maxwell), and I believe it was to test the yields in case 20nm was delayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom