• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tablo

The ROG Swift monitor is delayed to Q3 just FYI, they were having problems keeping some stuff stable apparently, seems expected given the amount of bandwidth they're pumping through the thing 1440p@144hz lol!
Apparently they have a better board in there now and it should be fine come Q3. Hoping they keep it glossy, or super light AG, I love how clean colors look on a glossy panel :)

Water

800 bones for that ROG monitor? I never really looked at 120 hz monitors but is that how much they actually go for??
There's nothing to compare it to, because it is the very first monitor of its kind. First, it has 2560x1440 resolution but officially supports 120Hz; all the 1440p "120Hz" displays so far have been via overclock, and not guaranteed to reach 120Hz. Second, it has G-Sync (which means it also has ultra-low motion blur mode for situations where you can actually get stable 85+ FPS). G-Sync alone explains about $150 of the price.

scogoth

The ROG Swift monitor is delayed to Q3 just FYI, they were having problems keeping some stuff stable apparently, seems expected given the amount of bandwidth they're pumping through the thing 1440p@144hz lol!
Apparently they have a better board in there now and it should be fine come Q3. Hoping they keep it glossy, or super light AG, I love how clean colors look on a glossy panel :)

Hopefully they come to their senses and eliminate gloss from all monitors they make

Not sure if it was talked about, but apparently TSMC (manufacturing plant) has been having difficulties producing cards using 20nm. This means that the high-end Maxwell parts aren't likely to hit before 2015.

http://translate.google.se/translat...vidia-maxwell-i-20-nanometer-drojer-till-2015

It does say at best there is a possibility of a model to appear at the end of the year, but it's most likely they won't show up until 2015.

Hope anyone wasn't waiting for these to build a new rig because you may be waiting a while.

Where did you read this? That's terrible news.

FLAguy954

As a guy getting ready to pull the trigger on the rest of my Fractal Node build, is there any reason to wait for the Haswell refresh (not E)?

This. But it may not be worth it for me as I'm eying a $300 mobo and 4670k combo at microcenter. (I assume I would not find such a deal with the haswell refresh?)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Not sure if it was talked about, but apparently TSMC (manufacturing plant) has been having difficulties producing cards using 20nm. This means that the high-end Maxwell parts aren't likely to hit before 2015.

http://translate.google.se/translat...vidia-maxwell-i-20-nanometer-drojer-till-2015

It does say at best there is a possibility of a model to appear at the end of the year, but it's most likely they won't show up until 2015.

Hope anyone wasn't waiting for these to build a new rig because you may be waiting a while.
*recent 780 purchase validated*

scogoth

Hopefully they come to their senses and eliminate gloss from all monitors they make

This post is factual.

WAIT A SECOND.

I originally read it as "they need to have only gloss monitors". Hate hate hate matte panels so much. Gloss is where it's at.

Too late! No take backseys!
jZj2tkM.gif

LilJoka

I'll ask this on tonymac also...

for those of you dual booting OSes (whether linux or OSX hackintosh) is it just not worth it to grab one 500GB SSD and put both OSes on there, or is it really not that bad? It seems like I could get both speed and value by going to a 500GB SSD if it's not a big deal at all to put Windows 7 and OS X Mavericks on two separate partitions. Not to mention it means I only need one internal 2.5" bay for small form factor (though I still have a GTX 770). Anyway, just seeing if anyone has thoughts.

Its worth it, i have Win 7 (90GB) and Mavericks (30GB) on a 128GB SSD, a bit small, but i dont use Mavericks really so just for messing about once in a while. A 256GB would be plenty.

appaws

Banned
Working and school and taxes and
dota
make for bad PC update schedule.

Jesus those are ugly, I mean just don't fool yourself and buy Cooler Master HAF at that point
lol
I'll do a quick glance at them, but Corsair so far isn't as nice in the low end imo besides the military style case at a decent price point, but I'm not as much a case enthusiast as some others here.

Gotta agree with Haz, those are pretty ugly. I don't know why gamer=ugly in the case maker's jargon...

I would say that the new 760T and 450D are probably good for inclusion in the OP as far as Corsair stuff goes, although the design of the top cover is a shame on the 760T, otherwise it would have been genius.

I think modularity is the "must have" element in cases going forward. All of the drive cages and optical bay cages need to be removable. I think SSD bays in the back cable routing area are a great new development, so I can have the complete front open with no storage or optical bays of any kind.

I think the mainstream case makers should be copying Caselabs design theory, of course cutting costs though cheaper materials and economies of scale.

Mohasus

Its worth it, i have Win 7 (90GB) and Mavericks (30GB) on a 128GB SSD, a bit small, but i dont use Mavericks really so just for messing about once in a while. A 256GB would be plenty.

Is there a correct order to do this? I remember trying Win8 first and then OSX, but it wouldn't accept my SSD (yes, it was in GPT).

LilJoka

Is there a correct order to do this? I remember trying Win8 first and then OSX, but it wouldn't accept my SSD (yes, it was in GPT).

I have a alternate method that i use, and i stick with MBR throughout. And i create my OSX partition in gParted to make sure its aligned correctly to the SSD. The last time i did it, i found OSX Disk Utility didnt align it properly which can increase the wear rate of the SSD.

iirc OSX cant write to a drive that has a NTFS partition, so it wont let you create the HFS parition for OSX to install too.

Wipe SSD
Create Windows partition in Windows installer and install.
Use gParted to create the Apple HFS partition on the SSD that is properly aligned
Then use a spare HDD to install OSX on
Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone OSX off the HDD to the SSD Partition
Install Chameleon Bootloader to the SSD Partition that holds OSX
Reboot, enjoy.

Tablo

Where did you read this? That's terrible news.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455299/...c-120hz-rog-monitor-at-ces/2360#post_22026243

Wait JJ is now saying Q2 is still a go?
"Still under last stages of design and development and our target for release is still sometime in Q2. Once we have more specific information to release we will do so."

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/01/pg278q-rog-swift-gaming-monitor-the-best-gaming-monitor/

Also gloss> matte, really well done semi matte with no grain is also great.
The problem is I find they mess up AG coating too often, so glossy just gives me the cleanest image.

mkenyon

Banned
http://www.overclock.net/t/1455299/...c-120hz-rog-monitor-at-ces/2360#post_22026243

Wait JJ is now saying Q2 is still a go?
"Still under last stages of design and development and our target for release is still sometime in Q2. Once we have more specific information to release we will do so."

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2014/01/pg278q-rog-swift-gaming-monitor-the-best-gaming-monitor/

Also gloss> matte, really well done semi matte with no grain is also great.
The problem is I find they mess up AG coating too often, so glossy just gives me the cleanest image.
"Sometime in Q2" AKA December 31st 2014.

I AM GOING

TO HAVE

A MELTDOWN

mkenyon

Banned
You have a g-sync monitor? Want to do a short impressions?
Not yet.

I've used one though. A few of my friends bought them. Got to play around with it last time I went down to Portland (where most live).

The actual variable refresh is neat, but the types of games I play don't really benefit from it. The ULMB is amazing though. Compared to my XL2420T with lightboost on, the contrast is much sharper, colors are more vivid too.

I find that in a lot of shooters, I can have a difficult time picking something out that is in a shadowy/dark area with lightboost on. That contrast is much better with ULMB.

I'm not totally sold on spending $450 for a VG248QE when it's only a marginal upgrade over my current setup though. Even with the delay, I might just wait out the ASUS RoG panel.

If money were no object, I'd probably just go with the RoG G-Sync panel as my mmo/EUIV/occasional RPG monitor, and the Eizo Foris as the main gaming monitor.
I AM GOING

TO HAVE

A MELTDOWN
Well, now that I went ahead and bought a new GPU, you can buy both of Smokey's 780 Ti's when he gets that Titan Z.
Can I have a link as to where to get Windows for £20?
reddit.com/r/softwareswap

maneil99

10170961_644522975584955_229367546_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/HEXUSnet/p...7795926924331/644522975584955/?type=1&theater

Dual AMD card!!!

I hope it isn't Watercooled so I can fit it in a mITX case.

The latest one gives us more to chew on. It shows the outline of a rectangular object with a circle in the middle, and rivets lining its edges, something which we most identify with full-coverage water blocks. Could the R9 295X2 be a liquid-cooled product? We'll have to wait and see. Meanwhile, NVIDIA torpedoed AMD's plans by launching the GeForce GTX TITAN-Z earlier this month. The downer? A $3,000 price-tag. Even if AMD falls short of performance by a few percentage points, it could make NVIDIA look bad, by giving it a much lower price.
:(

Well, now that I went ahead and bought a new GPU, you can buy both of Smokey's 780 Ti's when he gets that Titan Z.

He said he's keeping them because he can step up to 780ti 6GB? I thought they wouldn't be eligable because it's the same GPU, but idk.

What will the resale value on a 770 or something be after the 800 series comes out?

I'm wondering how big of an upgrade a 27" 1440p is over a 23" 1080p. The increase in PPI is only 13 (109 vs 96).

Would it be a better idea to skip 1440p and wait for 4K with better GPUs and HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3? A 28" puts the PPI at 157 which is a significant increase.

I should point out that this will be used for gaming and I'm asking because the ROG Swift should drop in the next 3 months.

If you're going to get a good monitor, wait for a 4K IPS panel, or 4K 120Hz. The PPI difference will be worth it. Though 120Hz is nice, too, if you get an overclockable 1440p IPS monitor.

mkenyon

Banned
He said he's keeping them because he can step up to 780ti 6GB? I thought they wouldn't be eligable because it's the same GPU, but idk.

What will the resale value on a 770 or something be after the 800 series comes out?
Depends on the pricing of the 800 series more than anything.

Zeus7

I got this Coolermaster Seidon 120V free with my motherboard from Overclockers UK so I have put this in tonight. I could not put it on the back of the case as it was sticking out the side so I have put it at the top, I suppose this will not make any difference?

Also, may be an obvious question but is the best way to hook up my GPU to the monitor by HDMI? The monitor is an ASUS VG248QE.

Ih9kgYz.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
I got this Coolermaster Seidon 120V free with my motherboard from Overclockers UK so I have put this in tonight. There was no room on the back of the case so I have put it at the top, I suppose this will not make any difference?

Also, may be an obvious question but is the best way to hook up my GPU to the monitor by HDMI? The monitor is an ASUS VG248QE.

Ih9kgYz.jpg
You've got some issues there.

Looks like the fan on the Seidon is likely setup as intake, while the fan right next to it is exhaust. You'll be cycling a bit of that hot air in a loop.

What i'd suggest you do is remove the rear most fan on the top so you can mount the Seidon as exhaust on the rear. Then move that rear most fan to where the Seidon currently is as exhaust.

Since you will need to remove the rear fan to mount the Siedon there, take that fan and mount it in the front/bottom/side as an intake.

Per your monitor, you will want to use Dual Link DVI (really fat/thick DVI cable) or Displayport only. HDMI 1.3 does not support 1080p@120Hz.
Wait what? Where have I been? I need to use this immediately so I can game on my air on the couch. Screw the shield.
Reported to AndyBNV.

GRrrr, I'm just going to buy a fuckin' 780 3gb and upgrade to 880 next year I think.

How much do 780's go for in America? I can get one shipped to me for about 560 US dollars. Not sure if it's worth trying to find someone in America to act as an intermediary to get one cheaper tho.

The other question is - Will a Gigabyte OC 780 fit inside a BitFenix prodigy? My 560 Ti was a cunt to get in but I think people told me it'll fit any single card.

Ok, so instead of building new I bought my wife a new 15' Macbook Pro with an i7 and GT 750M for work (She does ad design)... So now I'm going to upgrade my wife's old HPE-410y desktop as a stop-gap.

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T / 4X2GB 1333MHZ / Foxconn 2AB1 785G / GPU HD5570 / PSU 300W / HP Pavilion Elite generic case / 1TB Seagate Baracuda
Budget: A few hundred USD to upgrade
Main Use: gaming, video playback, light office use.
Monitor Resolution: Not buying a new monitor, I have a 60Hz 1050p 16:10 monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'll need to be able to play the new Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. Is 30FPS acceptable? Sometimes How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? I don't think they are...
Looking to reuse any parts?: Everything I can, Macbooks are expensive as shit.
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Not really, but I'm pretty sure my CPU would bottleneck anything new coming out so no point waiting...
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Can't overclock this CPU AFAIK. Also, shitty HP Mobo

I'd like to go with an AMD GPU so that I can get the Mantle benefits on the games that support it considering the CPU...

I'm considering the R7 260X or 265, but I don't know if it would be wasted on the Phenom II X6...

mkenyon

Banned
GRrrr, I'm just going to buy a fuckin' 780 3gb and upgrade to 880 next year I think.

How much do 780's go for in America? I can get one shipped to me for about 560 US dollars. Not sure if it's worth trying to find someone in America to act as an intermediary to get one cheaper tho.

The other question is - Will a Gigabyte OC 780 fit inside a BitFenix prodigy? My 560 Ti was a cunt to get in but I think people told me it'll fit any single card.
Assuming you mean United States of America, ~$500.

tumblr_mnb8vc9dXg1rd4eg2o1_500.jpg

:p

It'll fit just fine in the Prodigy.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

welcome to the cave-in club. if youre upgrading next year i would recommend looking at refurb'd 780s that come with a 1 year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom