• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

I hope it's only 20nm Maxwell that's been delayed because I just got a VG248QE and my trusty 660 can't quite fulfill the sexyliquidmotion dream.

turcy

does anyone know how we might expect the 780ti 6GB card to hold up against the 780ti classified 3GB?

just purchased my 780ti classified 3GB on March 14th [didn't receive / register until the 25th though] , can't stop fretting over the possibility of missing out on the 6GB variant.

framebuffer size is a rather legitimate concern for me as i'm trying to push a 1440p monitor at native resolution with acceptable levels of AA - which is already proving trying for my system.

waby

The good thing is the GTX 670 FTW I bought for 400$ summer 2012 is still holding out well enough, so I won't feel too bad if I need to keep waiting...
I wouldn't mind saving the cash when rebuilding this summer and waiting on replacing my GPU.
Unless 28nm Maxwell mid-high range happens and seems worth it.

I feel this as well. I'm not to finicky about the features of the recent cards that I don't have. I'm giving my card some time before I retire it.

riflen

does anyone know how we might expect the 780ti 6GB card to hold up against the 780ti classified 3GB?

just purchased my 780ti classified 3GB on March 14th [didn't receive / register until the 25th though] , can't stop fretting over the possibility of missing out on the 6GB variant.

framebuffer size is a rather legitimate concern for me as i'm trying to push a 1440p monitor at native resolution with acceptable levels of AA - which is already proving trying for my system.

The Titan Black is essentially a 780 Ti with 6GB as far as games are concerned. You'll see here that the extra memory doesn't do anything for you in current games at QHD.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/02/26/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-black-review/5

A 6GB variation of the 780 Ti won't perform any differently than a 3GB variation. There have been hundreds of tests comparing such cards (2GB vs. 4GB versions etc) and even at high resolutions they almost never perform better. Don't believe me? Let's look at a comparison of a 4GB GTX 770 compared to the base 2GB models running Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution, 2 games known to devour VRAM, at 1440p with lots of AA. They perform exactly the same. In fact, for the premium you pay for the extra VRAM you could just as easily get the best 2GB variation with the best 3rd party cooler and overclock it to high hell leading to less of a headache overall.

Here's a similar card from a better source; a 4GB GTX 680 against a stock GTX 680 with 2GB. Now, the 4GB version edges the stock 2GB version out, but not really considering it has a 10% core clock OC, there is once again, no difference even at 2560x1600.

The simple fact is, any card that is made to run with 2GB of VRAM, or 3GB, or 4GB, is probably intentionally engineered to run that way. They decided on that amount because it probably means the GPU would choke before the VRAM became a bottleneck, so doubling the amount of VRAM on a 780Ti, or 770, or 680, is NOT going to make a difference regardless of resolution.

the point is it's an investment. the new gen is here so standards will get higher. not to start a war here, but the big aaa games are at the mercy of consoles. your pc sports a 2gb gddr5 yet besides graphics you're not getting any more sophisticated animations, ai, physics, etc. than the 256mb vram ps3 version. a new gen of consoles would mean newer everything on your pc games and not just better aa or sharper textures. especially now ps4 is sporting 5gb gddr5 and it may increase that allocation. we know that will get filled up and be surpassed. so just as games used and surpassed that 256mb vram on ps3, future games will reflect those changes on the ps4 which would mean on pc the reqs will only get higher. the cards right now are great for playing games, but in a year or two when those games will be using the minimum console specs which grew exponentially overnight, you'd want a card that's made for those games. ac5 alone looks to be a big jump. i just think a 2gb gddr5 isn't a good investment right now. games work fantastically on those cards but most games were built on last-gen engines with last-gen animations, physics, etc. then there are games like arms and witcher which come around once in a blue moon. one those games come out using the next-gen engines, we'll have to see.

You really shouldn't adopt a "buy once" mentality for the entire generation when it comes to PC hardware. Splurging on high end parts isn't going to make enough of a difference unless you plan to game at 120hz or resolutions higher than 1080p. And it certainly won't add an outsized amount of longevity to the performance of your parts.

Spending $500-$1000 to build a mid-range gaming PC with small periodic upgrades would yield good results. You don't have to spend $2000 to get 60fps at 1080p.

In your example, AI and physics (excepting PhysX) are dictated by your CPU performance and not the amount of memory on your GPU. The CPU in your average gaming PC easily outclasses the tablet CPU in the PS4.

You're conflating the purpose of graphics memory on your PC's GPU with the RAM available on the PS4. It's not a similar analogy. The 5GB of GDDR5 available for developers to use on the PS4 serves the purpose of both the system RAM and graphics memory on your PC.

You don't (and won't) need 5GB of memory on your GPU to get satisfactory results. The post above mine points out the minimal difference larger amounts of VRAM make currently.

In the end, putting off building a PC for two years to wait for better hardware isn't going to make you happier.

DREYDUS

Banned
Good thread.

I run a I5 2500K OC'd to 4.5 and it was a fantastic purchase for me 2+ years ago.. best bang for my buck and has served me well to this day. Runs every game out there with ease and I got it cheap on sale back then at newegg

Kiru

Any problems with buying used graphic cards from other countries on ebay ? Some cards from the US are pretty cheap when ebay converts the price to €.

Azzurri

G0DNsXw.jpg

Dual 290's

2San

Good thread.

I run a I5 2500K OC'd to 4.5 and it was a fantastic purchase for me 2+ years ago.. best bang for my buck and has served me well to this day. Runs every game out there with ease and I got it cheap on sale back then at newegg
Yeah, bought the 2500k on release and I think it has another good 3 years in it. Tough I will probably upgrade in the mean time.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Only time I find you need decent amount of vram is when running triples as certain tracks on rF2 with say 20/30 cars on track it'll eat around 4gb or more (it's an beta/unoptimised game though)

phanphare

Banned
figured I'd ask first to see if this is considered on-topic or not. I need a new desktop for work. we're a small business (4 employees) so price is a factor and I thought building one might be a good idea. is that something I can inquire about in here?

Bleepey

Do you think I should get a 760.i am hoping it and my i5 4670 will handle whatever Crytek throw at it, for the next console cycle. I am not sure if should spend £50 more on a 770 or something like that.

figured I'd ask first to see if this is considered on-topic or not. I need a new desktop for work. we're a small business (4 employees) so price is a factor and I thought building one might be a good idea. is that something I can inquire about in here?
It really depends on what you actually do with those things. If it's just using regular business software, you might be better off with pre-built PCs over a custom built PC, unless you know that upgrading is something you guys will do.

phanphare

Banned
It really depends on what you actually do with those things. If it's just using regular business software, you might be better off with pre-built PCs over a custom built PC, unless you know that upgrading is something you guys will do.

yeah it'd pretty much be used for our accounting software and the internet but I also use photoshop/gimp to make fliers and touch up some pictures that we take. would I need a better CPU for stuff like that?

I've also been planning on building a gaming PC for myself in the next year and a half and I thought this could be a good test build. so if I can save some money and get some building experience that'd be pretty cool

thanks for the feedback!

kennah

yeah it'd pretty much be used for our accounting software and the internet but I also use photoshop/gimp to make fliers and touch up some pictures that we take. would I need a better CPU for stuff like that?

I've also been planning on building a gaming PC for myself in the next year and a half and I thought this could be a good test build. so if I can save some money and get some building experience that'd be pretty cool

thanks for the feedback!
It's helpful to have lots of power in those situations but not necessary unless you're doing it full time. You can put together some pretty nice SFF stuff for a few hundred bucks but sadly for a business you are going to want the support that comes with a dell or Lenovo. Part of the assumption of building your own is that you are also on your own for supporting it. If no one in your company is really really tech savvy then you might end up wasting a lot of time in the future troubleshooting.

But. It's up to you. Nothing wrong with building yourself. Just wanted you to know the risks. What kind of budget are you looking at per machine? Do you need keyboards and monitors too? Let us know, look at the op and we can go from there.

phanphare

Banned
It's helpful to have lots of power in those situations but not necessary unless you're doing it full time. You can put together some pretty nice SFF stuff for a few hundred bucks but sadly for a business you are going to want the support that comes with a dell or Lenovo. Part of the assumption of building your own is that you are also on your own for supporting it. If no one in your company is really really tech savvy then you might end up wasting a lot of time in the future troubleshooting.

But. It's up to you. Nothing wrong with building yourself. Just wanted you to know the risks. What kind of budget are you looking at per machine? Do you need keyboards and monitors too? Let us know, look at the op and we can go from there.

cool thanks! would there really be that much to troubleshoot? I'm decently tech-savvy and I can work the internet pretty well. we have a thinkcentre by Lenovo and I haven't ever had to contact them.

Your Current Specs: oy. I've got an all-in-one lenovo running Windows XP lol. it's got an Intel Atom CPU. I'll leave it there haha
Budget: $500 + USA
Main Use: internet, accounting software, photoshop, and gimp
Monitor Resolution: not a big factor. 720p preferably but cheap more than anything
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: photoshop and gimp
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: hopefully in the next 2 months
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe...

So I wan as idiot back in 2011 and bought a i5 2500 (not K).

If I bought the current i5 4760K can I expect to get 3-4 years out of that with some light OC'ing ?

Yes, and to post, you need to have 10 comment karma or a 30 day old account.

Just an FYI, I didn't even post in any of the topics when I bought my W8 key. I just made my Reddit account and PMed the seller telling him/her I was interested in purchasing a key. Had no issues whatsoever.

kiyomi

Just an FYI, I didn't even post in any of the topics when I bought my W8 key. I just made my Reddit account and PMed the seller telling him/her I was interested in purchasing a key. Had no issues whatsoever.

Ah, alright. I was just looking at their subreddit rules, that's all. :)

kennah

If I bought the current i5 4760K can I expect to get 3-4 years out of that with some light OC'ing ?

Easily. You can also get at least $100 for your current CPU. And if you bought a P67 or Z68 board when you picked up for you 2500 you'd be able to put a K series processor in it now and over clock that.

mkenyon

Banned

As Kennah said, if you have a P67 or Z68 motherboard, just get a 2500K or 3570K (update your mobo BIOS first for the latter). There's not a significant difference in performance between any of them, outside of emulation.
You really shouldn't adopt a "buy once" mentality for the entire generation when it comes to PC hardware. Splurging on high end parts isn't going to make enough of a difference unless you plan to game at 120hz or resolutions higher than 1080p. And it certainly won't add an outsized amount of longevity to the performance of your parts.

Spending $500-$1000 to build a mid-range gaming PC with small periodic upgrades would yield good results. You don't have to spend $2000 to get 60fps at 1080p.
If you're buying to get the most for your money, this is absolute truth, and the only way to really futureproof. This should be the backbone to the entire premise of this thread.

Bii

Who else got in on the 16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM that Amazon had for $53 two weeks back? Because mine is preparing for shipment and should arrive this week! :D

Only issue is the yellow won't match my current rig's colors/theme. Not that anyone could see them anyway once installed. #firstworldproblems

KTT

Who else got in on the 16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM that Amazon had for $53 two weeks back? Because mine is preparing for shipment and should arrive this week! :D

Only issue is the yellow won't match my current rig's colors/theme. Not that anyone could see them anyway once installed. #firstworldproblems

Your rig looks so nice the way it is though!... Should be interesting to see how the yellow fits in.

How did I not hear about this? RAM prices are the one thing stopping me from finishing my current pc build. I don't want to drop 120plus dollars on 16gigs of ram...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Hey there. I am in the process of building a new PC but I don't have an unlimited budget. I can only fork out £1800 or so and these are not going be the only things we are getting, there are other essentials like keyboard, monitors etc etc. So, keep that in mind please.

CPU: Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® SABERTOOTH X79: SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
RAM: 32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

How is this build, GAF?

hemtae

Hey there. I am in the process of building a new PC but I don't have an unlimited budget. I can only fork out £1800 or so and these are not going be the only things we are getting, keyboards, monitors etc etc

How is this build, GAF?

If you're going to go with a six core Intel CPU, I'd wait until Haswell-E where the prices should be cheaper.

What are going to be doing with it that requires 32GB of RAM?

scogoth

Hey there. I am in the process of building a new PC but I don't have an unlimited budget. I can only fork out £1800 or so and these are not going be the only things we are getting, there are other essentials like keyboard, monitors etc etc. So, keep that in mind please.

How is this build, GAF?

£1800 is plenty for a great build, but first what is this going to be used for?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
If you're going to go with a six core Intel CPU, I'd wait until Haswell-E where the process should be cheaper.

What are going to be doing with it that requires 32GB of RAM?

Is 32 a bit much? Mostly gaming and probably heavy video editing (bf needs it) and streaming.

Hanzou

Is 32 a bit much? Mostly gaming and probably heavy video editing (bf needs it) and streaming.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 8gb of ram just over a year ago when it was $30 everywhere. Now it's more like $90. Ugh I guess I will just keep the 4gb and maybe rebuild my system next year when ddr4 prices might be a little better.

bro1

Banned
i guess building a pc is delayed for me as well.

The market for used GPUs is huge. Anything you buy now you can resell a few months down the line. I just sold my MSI GTX 770 that I bought in Jan for $330 and sold it for $300. I sold my other 770 for $260 and then bought a 780 TI. I think the whole exchange only cost me about $120.

mkenyon

Banned

How is this build, GAF?
Not great, check out the OP.

scogoth

32GB is for running multiple VMs, hosting an SQL database, or you are a professional 4K video editor or 3D modeller.

I would really suggest if this is a gaming build you drop down to the 4770K and spend your money on a 290X or 780Ti and a large SSD

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 8gb of ram just over a year ago when it was $30 everywhere. Now it's more like $90. Ugh I guess I will just keep the 4gb and maybe rebuild my system next year when ddr4 prices might be a little better.

Bf is set on 32 and frankly I think it'll be better in the long run.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
32GB is for running multiple VMs, hosting an SQL database, or you are a professional 4K video editor or 3D modeller.

I would really suggest if this is a gaming build you drop down to the 4770K and spend your money on a 290X or 780Ti and a large SSD

Right, we've changed it up a bit and this is what we've got now instead.

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4820K (3.7GHz) 10MB Cache
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti

Bf is set on 32 and frankly I think it'll be better in the long run.

He might not notice much in the way of performance gains in going from 16GB to 32GB and DDR4 is coming out soon.

That money could be put toward an SSD, as the poster above me said.

There's little difference in performance between the 4770K and the 4820K, if you overclock them. You can easily save money there.

mkenyon

Banned

You dont want to get an X79 motherboard and 2011 processor. The 4820K is outperformed by the 4770K, which can be paired with much less expensive motherboards. Check out the OP.

Marceles

Woohoo, so all of the parts are ordered, came out to a little over $2,100. I'll have everything in 2 days but the power supply and the case. It's going to be torture having the guts for the case but no case until the 7th at most :(.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
We were getting a normal HDD but decided to go for SSD instead since most of you guys are recommending it. How is this build now?

ASUS® P9X79 LE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Can't get the 4770k processor as it is currently out of stock from where we're ordering, they don't know when they're going to have it in stock and we want the parts asap.

We were getting a normal HDD but decided to go for SSD instead since most of you guys are recommending it. How is this build now?

ASUS® P9X79 LE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

It is weird to get an old socket now. 4770K is the way to go.

2400 Mhz probably will not have a benefit but be significantly higher in price.

A SSD is definitely recommended, the thing is that most people only get a smaller one for what needs to be fast (OS, many used programs) and a normal drive for all the media stuff.

I would expect that you would need a whole lot of capacity for video editing so you might want to go for a 500GB or even 250GB SSD and then pick a larger second drive. It kind of depends on how much benefit you have by having video that you use for video editing on your SSD, I am not sure of that. I think only the scratch disk part gives benefits.

Also, you mentioned there still need to come monitors, keyboard and such. You might want to give more details on that. Monitors can vary a lot in price, and multiple ones would be a significant expense. I also don't know how important color representation is, because otherwise you would need to look at IPS monitors, with costs extra.

EDIT: Oh, 4770K out of stock, that is a bit weird. Can't you just order it somewhere else?

EDIT 2: I might have been wrong and having all the video files on a SSD may give a better experience. Still you might want to get extra capacity at the cost of a smaller SSD. While you are working on something you can keep the project on the SSD and when you are done you move it to the slower drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom