• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, this is my current build's main components, built 4 years ago:

Case THERMALTAKE DH101
CORSAIR 650 Watt TX
INTEL i5 750 Quad Core 2,66 Ghz socket LGA1156 (OCed to 3.6Ghx)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1 Tb Sata 300 Buffer 32 Mb 7200 rpm ? 67
GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-P55A-UD3 socket LGA 1156 chipset Intel P55 ATX
RAM CORSAIR Dimm XMS3 4 Gb <2x2Gb> ddr3 Dual Channel 1333 Mhz Unbuffered CL 9-9-9-24
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5850 1 Gb ddr5 Pci-E Dual DVI / HDMI (OCed)

Was thinking of getting a smallish SSD (like 128Gb) for the OS (Win7 Ultimate 64bit) and some games.

Other than that I'd like to stay around a 500 Euros budget.
Don't need to go over 1080p (no downsampling needed) but 60fps + some AA and possibly ULTRA settings are mandatory, ideally the main upgrade (GPU) will last me as long as my current one (4 years). Again, is that possible or should I wait for new GPUs to come out soon? What are my AMD options atm?

I'll need more RAM (different RAM?), a new GPU (which I imagine I should be careful it can actually fit in my current case), the mentioned SSD (not to be counted in the budget's total) and?
What can I carry over from my current rig?
Are the motherboard and power supply ok?
What about my CPU? Keep in mind this PC serves me only for playing media files (no editing, not even photoshop and such) and single-screen gaming.
It's hooked up to a 1080p projector via HDMI.

Thanks to whoever will take the time to reply.
Last time I've built my HTPC following Hazaro's tips in the 2010"s thread and it went super smooth, so I've got my fingers crossed the same thing will happen again :)

LilJoka

Yep. And 'encoding' is a totally different beast than nonlinear editing.

Fair enough that the actual editing of the file will be limited by the storage medium read speed, which will be improved by off loading to the SSD. However, do people do this? Most people tend to do all their work on the HDD to prevent excessive wear of their SSDs. So if this isnt an optimal way to save time, you can atleast save time by having the best CPU to minimize the final processing times?

kennah

Fair enough that the actual editing of the file will be limited by the storage medium read speed, which will be improved by off loading to the SSD. However, do people do this? Most people tend to do all their work on the HDD to prevent excessive wear of their SSDs. So if this isnt an optimal way to save time, you can atleast save time by having the best CPU to minimize the final processing times?
Using 10k rpm hard drives I still only get 60% cpu usage on a 2600k. And this is having one for data and one for cache.

When I'm working on one SSD I get 80% cpu is rage.

'People' don't do this - but when you are entering the professional realm of video editing (which someone better be if they are wasting hundreds of dollars on 32 gig of ram) then it is needed. Professional setups use four Ssds in mirrored striped raids on thunderbolt or PCIe to get the speeds needed to cap out i7s.

LilJoka

Using 10k rpm hard drives I still only get 60% cpu usage on a 2600k. And this is having one for data and one for cache.

When I'm working on one SSD I get 80% cpu is rage.

'People' don't do this - but when you are entering the professional realm of video editing (which someone better be if they are wasting hundreds of dollars on 32 gig of ram) then it is needed. Professional setups use four Ssds in mirrored striped raids on thunderbolt or PCIe to get the speeds needed to cap out i7s.

This is during editing stage though? Not the final processing which encodes the file?

appaws

Banned
I'm am, the only reason I was thinking about buying this computer is because I have a best buy credit card and I could use it to buy this computer. I don't have the money or a separate card to buy the parts and build one...

Other retailers have credit cards...not that I would encourage people to take on frivolous debts....but PC gaming is not frivolous.

I have a Preferred Account at Newegg, for example, that gives me a year with no interest every time I spend over $500. I am sure there are other sellers who have similar offers.

El_Chino

Hey guys I'm cross posting this from the Gaming Laptop thread but it doesn't seem to get much activity. I just recently bought a Lenovo G510 laptop with an Intel 4600 integrated graphics, i5-4200mu and 8GB of ram. I know it's not really a gaming PC but even so what kind of performance could I expect generally speaking?

kennah

Hey guys I'm cross posting this from the Gaming Laptop thread but it doesn't seem to get much activity. I just recently bought a Lenovo G510 laptop with an Intel 4600 integrated graphics, i5-4200mu and 8GB of ram. I know it's not really a gaming PC but even so what kind of performance could I expect generally speaking?
What games? It's passable in a lot of things. Just turn down settings.

This is the final process.

I would verify your HDD/SSD aren't plugged into SATA1 or SATA2 ports if you have them, there's no reason your HDD or SSD should be bottlenecking considering the write speed on HDD's as mentioned floats around 100MB/s, and on SSD's around 550MB/s. Alternatively something could be throttling your CPU.

LilJoka

I would verify your HDD/SSD aren't plugged into SATA1 or SATA2 ports if you have them, there's no reason your HDD or SSD should be bottlenecking considering the write speed on HDD's as mentioned floats around 100MB/s, and on SSD's around 550MB/s. Alternatively something could be throttling your CPU.

Yeah, im not sure exactly what your doing tbh, but ive just tried a video encode and had identical times on my SSD and HDD, and my CPU was pegged at 100%. Windows detected a measly 4MB/s access speed.

kennah

My system is fine. :) this is with renders that are using dozens of files in sets that are 50gigs and full hd. If I am just doing a straight transcode it pegs at 100%. I'm just saying that the higher the level you go the more likely that disk bottlenecks will exist with video editing.

Marceles

Hi guys, I have another question regarding cooling.

Since I plan on OC'ing the CPU, I guess the H60 will take care of the heat in that department.

If I want to also cool down the GTX 780 after OC since I hear people are making there's like 500mhz faster, I guess I'll need a gpu cooler as well? Or is that something I really shouldn't be concerned about?

I know I will have about 3 fans total when my stuff arrives: the two with the Fractal case in the front and back and the one I get with the H60 to replace the back fan in the case. Is there anything else I should do regarding cooling?

Since I plan on OC'ing the CPU, I guess the H60 will take care of the heat in that department.

If I want to also cool down the GTX 780 after OC since I hear people are making there's like 500mhz faster, I guess I'll need a gpu cooler as well? Or is that something I really shouldn't be concerned about?

I know I will have about 3 fans total when my stuff arrives: the two with the Fractal case in the front and back and the one I get with the H60 to replace the back fan in the case. Is there anything else I should do regarding cooling?

What 780 do you have?

maneil99

eh 500mhz faster is like 1400mhz... thats not really a thing. Your 780 has a cooler built on which will allow decent - great cooling depending if its reference or aftermarket, can you link your 780?

scogoth

Starting to find all the things I don't like about the EVGA Hadron Air:
  1. There is 0 space behind the motherboard tray (and I mean literally the side panel touches the mobo tray)
  2. the USB3 front header and power button header are soldered to their respective daughter boards making sleeving very difficult
  3. Worst offense so far, panel gap
    k91PFAf.jpg

Pollux

Just to clarify...if I'm only planning on using my PC to play WoW, Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis, the Total War games, and some other games that I just can't find on consoles - would the $560 Good-Very Capable machine in the OP be a good choice?

If a game is coming out on consoles as well as PC, at this point in time I'm planning on just getting it on consoles.

So, would the $560 machine be able to run the games I'm interested in?

scogoth

Would you get one over an RVZ01 for a mini-ITX rig knowing what you do now?

Not really comparable because this a showcase build so I needed a window. The hadron is a good case for a basic build but if you want to make everything neat and clean it is a real challenge. Very little space to work with and the PSU is non modular. I ended up cutting a few cables off that were unnecessary.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My sister is looking to upgrade her laptop soon. I just checked the Lenovo website and saw they are having some crazy deals on laptops during their weekly sale.
link: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/#customize

She's looking at the Y510p - 59405668 for $900, ($500 off).

Have any of you had experience with Lenovo laptops? Would this be something to jump on, or will this be a standard price for this series since the 800 mobile cards have been released?

Thanks!

My sister is looking to upgrade her laptop soon. I just checked the Lenovo website and saw they are having some crazy deals on laptops during their weekly sale.
link: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/#customize

She's looking at the Y510p - 59405668 for $900, ($500 off).

Have any of you had experience with Lenovo laptops? Would this be something to jump on, or will this be a standard price for this series since the 800 mobile cards have been released?

Thanks!

Does she plan on gaming?

It's good for its price, but Lenovo has hit-or-miss build quality from my impressions of the laptop thread. YMMV

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Does she plan on gaming?

It's good for its price, but Lenovo has hit-or-miss build quality from my impressions of the laptop thread. YMMV

Yes some light gaming, and also photoshop/illustrator.

She was looking for something in the 1000-1500 range. I'll stop over at laptopGAF for some insight as well.

Thank you.

sal0713

Neo Member
Hey guys i recently bought a GTx 750 ti SC from evga. Ever since i installed games have been running better but i notice some weird screen glitches going on that didn't happen before with my older card. Could i have a faulty card? Te old drivers from the other card have been removed and new ones installed.

2San

Guys I have a question. So the geforce drivers are able to consistently force the highest refresh rate available, which is amazing since I struggled with this before I had a nvidia card. However I have a 144Hz screen and prefer a 120Hz refresh rate (I like to frame cap some games to 60fps).

Hey guys i recently bought a GTx 750 ti SC from evga. Ever since i installed games have been running better but i notice some weird screen glitches going on that didn't happen before with my older card. Could i have a faulty card? Te old drivers from the other card have been removed and new ones installed.

What kind of issues?

sal0713

Neo Member
What kind of issues?

First started on FF14 things like water, weapons, grass would start flashing for no reason. Today I was watching a video on my desktop and it wents nuts for a min i got a nvidia error, then it started working again then it happened again and the it forced me to do a hard shut down.

First started on FF14 things like water, weapons, grass would start flashing for no reason. Today I was watching a video on my desktop and it wents nuts for a min i got a nvidia error, then it started working again then it happened again and the it forced me to do a hard shut down.

It's unstable. Are you overclocking?

So my 770 arrived and it turns out the BitFenix prodigy could not fit the Gainward Phantom 770. Fucking cunting bastard.

So after performing some rocket surgery on my case (i.e. removing a part near the video card with a hacksaw) it fit in and got the connectors put into it. It powers on and works properly, at least in perf terms. What is scaring me is that it's making a... noise. A loud hissing / buzzing / possibly grinding noise. I believe it's coming from the video card not some other component. It only starts when I boot a game, it's not present on the desktop, which makes me think it's fan related. However I can see no obstructions at all.

This sucks donkey dick because this was supposed to be a rather quiet card. I'm also half scared it's going to explode if I play a game.

So my 770 arrived and it turns out the BitFenix prodigy could not fit the Gainward Phantom 770. Fucking cunting bastard.

So after performing some rocket surgery on my case (i.e. removing a part near the video card with a hacksaw) it fit in and got the connectors put into it. It powers on and works properly, at least in perf terms. What is scaring me is that it's making a... noise. A loud hissing / buzzing / possibly grinding noise. I believe it's coming from the video card not some other component. It only starts when I boot a game, it's not present on the desktop, which makes me think it's fan related. However I can see no obstructions at all.

This sucks donkey dick because this was supposed to be a rather quiet card. I'm also half scared it's going to explode if I play a game.

coil whine, it's harmless

but grounds for an RMA imo, shit's annoying

I am getting a Lenovo 510p, laptop and just curios as I have not been keeping up. It has option for 755M SLI configuration, is it worth getting SLI?

Mad Max

How long have I got to call in an RMA?

Will they complain if I redeem the free game codes

:lol

I've had a lot of GPU's over the years and they've all had this problem, so unless it's really bad I wouldn't bother sending it back, as the replacement card will probably have the same problem.

I've had a lot of GPU's over the years and they've all had this problem, so unless it's really bad I wouldn't bother sending it back, as the replacement card will probably have the same problem.

It's random. I've gotten a few, however most of my GPUs didn't have it.

I had a laptop that would whine whenever the CPU changed power states. It also varies by intensity, too. So even if his next GPU has it, it may not be as bad.

How long have I got to call in an RMA?

Will they complain if I redeem the free game codes

:lol

However long your warranty lasts. It's not going to break if you keep using it though. Something on the card is vibrating as a current flows through it. That's what makes the noise.

They might refuse the RMA btw.

Oh, you could try changing the PSU. I've heard coil whine can be alleviated like this. If you have an extra one lying around, give that a shot.

2San

bryt

With Windows XP support ending I have a question about installing a new OS. I have two hard drives. The first hard drive has two partitions (C: and D:) and the second hard drive has one partition (E:). I have Windows XP installed on drive C: and planning to upgrade to Windows 8.1 64 bit. Will I lose all my data in drives C:, D: and E: or will I only lose data in drive C:?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom