• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

To install the Corsair H60 Hydro on my motherboard, but I'm not sure if it should be vertical or horizontal.

But I'm pretty sure it's already the right way?

EDIT:
Oops, it's not the H60. It's the Corsair Evo 212. Sorry.

scogoth

To install the Corsair H60 Hydro on my motherboard, but I'm not sure if it should be vertical or horizontal.

But I'm pretty sure it's already the right way?

EDIT:
Oops, it's not the H60. It's the Corsair Evo 212. Sorry.

Yes thats the right way. But you need to double check that the case fan at the back is pushing air out of the case.

Pachimari

But the thing is, that I can rotate the cooler while it's sitting on top of the CPU... Is that normal?

EDIT:
I'm gonna try start it up and see what happens but is it normal that I can rotate the cooler while it's mounted on the motherboard?

mapla

Neo Member
Hi guys,

Due to the recent delay of 20 nms Maxwell cards (yeah, I know its a rumor, but... likely is gonna be true) I think I prefer to buy right now a card instead of waiting one more year.

I have a 7850 1 GB and I'm thinking about the purchase of one these cards:

-MSI 280X Twin Frozr 3 GB: 271 euros
-MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr 2 GB: 289 euros

Also the GTX 770 comes with Daylight.

I think that the GTX 770 is a bit more powerful, isn't it?

Other data of both cards (Techpowerup)

Fan Noise Load:
-MSI GTX 770: 29 dbA
-MSI 280X: 34 dbA

The 280X is much more noisier but both of them are quieter than my 7850, so I don't care.

Power consumption (peak)
-MSI GTX 770: 184 W
-MSI 280X: 203 W

I have an i5-3330 and the only reason I'm not going right now for GTX 770 is Mantle. I don't care about the 1 GB more of AMD card because I'm not going to do Crossfire or SLI and my screen resolution is 1080p.

I read that the new drivers of Nvidia, expected to release them on this month, work in a similar way that Mantle and they are pretty good. In Nvidia's words...

What should I do? Waiting to Maxwell in 20 nm process or get one of this cards? And what of them?

I was waiting to Maxwell in order to get a decent performance in The Witcher 3 with a very good quality, but I guess that won't be cheaper.

With this cards I won't have any problems in this console generation playing at the same quality of consoles but, you know, I wanted to play The Witcher 3 at 60 fps xD

bro1

Banned
A good 450W can handle a 780 Ti.

I wouldn't trust any PSU below 600w for a 780TI. My thought is that you should always go for Gold or Platinum with the PSU and buy a little more than you need. Once the upgrade bug bites, it's hard to resist.

For the Hyper 212, yes it will twist a bit. No worries on that.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Anyone have a link(s) to a good quiet gaming build? I need to build a new box, but I'm finding it really difficult and time-consuming to pick parts for gaming PC that won't sound like a hair dryer when I up the settings. I see lots of proposed builds for gaming/enthusiast pcs, but I'm not seeing much (that's recent at least - within the last six months) for quiet gaming PC builds.

Olli128

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade / replace my current dell pc to something that can play at high/1080p. Any changes you guys can recommend?

Stuff I'm planning to leave behind / sell from my upgraded dell

500W Novatech Psu
Dell Motherboard AM3
AMD Athlon X4 635 2.90GHZ
6GB DDR RAM

New build:

Coolermaster Enforcer
Corsair CX builder 750W
MSI Z87-G45-GAMING ATX Motherboard
Intel i5 4670K
Hyper 212 EVO
8GB DDR3 Kingston Ram (Can I use the dell stuff instead?)
Samsung 120GB EVO (for windows/ a few programs)

Stuff from old pc:

Disc Drive
Radeon HD 6770
1TB hard drive

Then I'll upgrade my graphics card next month, probably to a 770 or 780.

scogoth

But the thing is, that I can rotate the cooler while it's sitting on top of the CPU... Is that normal?

EDIT:
I'm gonna try start it up and see what happens but is it normal that I can rotate the cooler while it's mounted on the motherboard?

Yes with the 212 is can shift a little bit

I think it's pushing air into the case, at least it feels colder on the inside of the case. Shouldn't it do that to keep it cool inside?

The front/bottom case fans should bring air in, the back/top should push it out.

Hi guys,

Due to the recent delay of 20 nms Maxwell cards (yeah, I know its a rumor, but... likely is gonna be true) I think I prefer to buy right now a card instead of waiting one more year.

I have a 7850 1 GB and I'm thinking about the purchase of one these cards:

-MSI 280X Twin Frozr 3 GB: 271 euros
-MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr 2 GB: 289 euros

Also the GTX 770 comes with Daylight.

I think that the GTX 770 is a bit more powerful, isn't it?

Other data of both cards (Techpowerup)

Fan Noise Load:
-MSI GTX 770: 29 dbA
-MSI 280X: 34 dbA

The 280X is much more noisier but both of them are quieter than my 7850, so I don't care.

Power consumption (peak)
-MSI GTX 770: 184 W
-MSI 280X: 203 W

I have an i5-3330 and the only reason I'm not going right now for GTX 770 is Mantle. I don't care about the 1 GB more of AMD card because I'm not going to do Crossfire or SLI and my screen resolution is 1080p.

I read that the new drivers of Nvidia, expected to release them on this month, work in a similar way that Mantle and they are pretty good. In Nvidia's words...

What should I do? Waiting to Maxwell in 20 nm process or get one of this cards? And what of them?

I was waiting to Maxwell in order to get a decent performance in The Witcher 3 with a very good quality, but I guess that won't be cheaper.

With this cards I won't have any problems in this console generation playing at the same quality of consoles but, you know, I wanted to play The Witcher 3 at 60 fps xD

You should probably go ahead and get the 770. You already know that the extra gig of VRAM on the 280X doesn't matter and Mantle probably wouldn't make a big enough difference.

If your next upgrade is your CPU in a year or two, you'll be fine.

Water

Anyone have a link(s) to a good quiet gaming build? I need to build a new box, but I'm finding it really difficult and time-consuming to pick parts for gaming PC that won't sound like a hair dryer when I up the settings. I see lots of proposed builds for gaming/enthusiast pcs, but I'm not seeing much (that's recent at least - within the last six months) for quiet gaming PC builds.
The builds at the start of the thread should all be quiet if you want them to be. At each component, you just google for a review to confirm that the particular brand/model you are about to get is not too loud. For the CPU, get a CM Hyper 212 Evo and be prepared to possibly swap fans, or get a higher end air cooler that's slightly more quiet to begin with. Case, maybe Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 or Define R4. Power supply, one of the Seasonic/Corsair models that don't even run their fan when below 50% load. Any GPU that isn't a blower design is probably fine, but find a good deal first and use a review to confirm.

GreekWolf

Just checking in after six months, to say that I'm in love with PC Gaming all over again. I'll probably still pick up a PS4 sometime later in the generation when the next Uncharted arrives but, for now, gaming with a GTX 780 is just pure ecstasy. I kind of hate myself for going console exclusive the entire last generation. Missed out on many, many fantastic experiences, but I certainly won't make that mistake again.

kharma45

I wouldn't trust any PSU below 600w for a 780TI. My thought is that you should always go for Gold or Platinum with the PSU and buy a little more than you need. Once the upgrade bug bites, it's hard to resist.

For the Hyper 212, yes it will twist a bit. No worries on that.

You might not but they're able to.

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade / replace my current dell pc to something that can play at high/1080p. Any changes you guys can recommend?

Stuff I'm planning to leave behind / sell from my upgraded dell

500W Novatech Psu
Dell Motherboard AM3
AMD Athlon X4 635 2.90GHZ
6GB DDR RAM

New build:

Coolermaster Enforcer
Corsair CX builder 750W
MSI Z87-G45-GAMING ATX Motherboard
Intel i5 4670K
Hyper 212 EVO
8GB DDR3 Kingston Ram (Can I use the dell stuff instead?)
Samsung 120GB EVO (for windows/ a few programs)

Stuff from old pc:

Disc Drive
Radeon HD 6770
1TB hard drive

Then I'll upgrade my graphics card next month, probably to a 770 or 780.

You could easily get by on a 500w or 600w PSU. Say this one.

At 1080p, the 780 is overkill. You can get the results you're looking for with the 770.

Be sure to buy 2 4GB sticks of RAM instead of 1 8GB stick.

Pachimari

So this is my final build. Is this supposed to be very quiet? It's quiet but still a little too noisy for me, but it have to be said that I'm sitting right next to it at my computer table. It's not to criticize - I'm just curious, that's all. :)

Actually, it's a bit louder now with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 installed instead of the stock fan.

Olli128

You could easily get by on a 500w or 600w PSU. Say this one.

At 1080p, the 780 is overkill. You can get the results you're looking for with the 770.

Be sure to 2 4GB sticks of RAM instead of 1 8GB stick.

Thanks, how's this PSU? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GN8VZ7U/ I'm in the uk so no Newegg for me

I was thinking about the 750W for future proofing / SLI, but I doubt I'll need that for a while so i could just upgrade it then, if needed :)

mapla

Neo Member
You should probably go ahead and get the 770. You already know that the extra gig of VRAM on the 280X doesn't matter and Mantle probably wouldn't make a big enough difference.

If your next upgrade is your CPU in a year or two, you'll be fine.

Yeah, I think is the best choice.

Thanks.

Azzurri

http://videocardz.com/50130/exclusive-amd-radeon-r9-295x2-preview

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Project-Hydra-850x473.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Mechanical-Dimensions.jpg

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Specifications.jpg

This is the first dual-GPU graphics card based on Hawaii architecture. The first thing you probably want to know is whether R9 295X2 has full Hawaii cores. Well it does! AMD R9 295X2 has 5632 Stream Processors, 352 Texture Mapping Units and 128 ROPs.

AMD don't give a shit about low power usage, LOL.

Bleepey

They recommend 500W as some poor quality PSUs have a lower ratio of Amps on the 12V Rail, so for their safety they overestimate the PSU requirement.

Which GPU?

I think it was the case for the Titan and some of the high end GTX cards like GTX 760, Titan etc. on the GeForce.co.uk site.

LilJoka

I think it was the case for the Titan and some of the high end GTX cards like GTX 760, Titan etc. on the GeForce.co.uk site.

I know of someone who runs an i5 2500k and a GTX Titan on a 450 Silverstone Strider:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=342

Total watts dont matter.

The Titan uses about 300W and the CPU uses about 100W, that means you need 400W on the 12V Rail, which is 33Amps. This is being quite conservative.

Ashhong

Hey guys, so a loaded question here but is now a good time to get a new computer for a heavy user? I will mainly be using it for browsing, videos, etc and games. League of Legends at the moment but would like to be able to play future games pretty decently as well. Something that will last.

I was trying to research when the new Intel CPUs are coming out. Will those be using DDR4 memory? Because I just bought some DDR3 that was on too good of a sale. And what about gpus? Is it about to be refreshed?

Sorry if these are vague questions, just want to know if now is a good time to upgrade from my 2009 build of an E7400 and 512mb 4870. I recently put in an SSD into it and it gave it new life so I can wait a bit if that's better for my money.

Long time since I posted in this thread. I'll be salvaging a couple mechanical HDDs, Windows 7 license, a Bluray drive and a 560 ti 448 from my current PC. The most strenuous use will be as a Plex Media Server, which can transcode multiple HD streams at the same time and gaming. I have a strict budget and was eyeing the Intel side of things but I would have had to go with a dual core i3 to fit into budget but I don't like the idea of that when a plex transcode could grab one of my cores while in game. With an 8 core CPU, I don't mind giving up 4 cores to the Plex side of things.

Plus, I much prefer the idea of an unlocked CPU. I'm not buying any fancy cooling to start with so I probably won't push it far past stock to start with (if at all) but overclocking is something I find enjoyable so I like having the option down the line.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3kPTZ

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£104.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£36.80 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£47.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£29.97 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £272.74

I'll be adding this PSU:

http://www.ebuyer.com/566848-powerc...active-pfc-14cm-fdb-fan-single-psupcb450bkmod

35a on a single 12v rail, modular and 80+ bronze certified for £28.

So £300 spent which is really the absolute max I can be spending. Thoughts??

Hey guys, so a loaded question here but is now a good time to get a new computer for a heavy user? I will mainly be using it for browsing, videos, etc and games. League of Legends at the moment but would like to be able to play future games pretty decently as well. Something that will last.

I was trying to research when the new Intel CPUs are coming out. Will those be using DDR4 memory? Because I just bought some DDR3 that was on too good of a sale. And what about gpus? Is it about to be refreshed?

Sorry if these are vague questions, just want to know if now is a good time to upgrade from my 2009 build of an E7400 and 512mb 4870. I recently put in an SSD into it and it gave it new life so I can wait a bit if that's better for my money.

Yeah, now's as good a time as any.

Intel's Broadwell architecture looks like it won't be released till Q1 2015 and Nvidia won't release the 800 series of GPUs until Q4 2014/Q1 2015.

How much DDR3 did you buy?

What's your budget for a new build?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So my 770 arrived and it turns out the BitFenix prodigy could not fit the Gainward Phantom 770. Fucking cunting bastard.
uggh.. you have me worried now. I am wanting to go with the phenom.. so should be same guts. your gainward card should be 274mm. The MSI says it's 260mm. so about 1.5cm shorter. Hoping I don't have issues...

Question. I need to go from my old 1TB system drive to a new 250GB SSD. Can I just use CloneZilla on a boot thumb drive to do this? Is there something easier? I also need to similarly clone my OS X drive/system, though that is already on a 250GB HDD, so it's literally just a clone from the HDD to the SSD, which I was also going to use clonezilla for.

LilJoka

Long time since I posted in this thread. I'll be salvaging a couple mechanical HDDs, Windows 7 license, a Bluray drive and a 560 ti 448 from my current PC. The most strenuous use will be as a Plex Media Server, which can transcode multiple HD streams at the same time and gaming. I have a strict budget and was eyeing the Intel side of things but I would have had to go with a dual core i3 to fit into budget but I don't like the idea of that when a plex transcode could grab one of my cores while in game. With an 8 core CPU, I don't mind giving up 4 cores to the Plex side of things.

Plus, I much prefer the idea of an unlocked CPU. I'm not buying any fancy cooling to start with so I probably won't push it far past stock to start with (if at all) but overclocking is something I find enjoyable so I like having the option down the line.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£36.80 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£47.99 @ Aria PC)

I'll be adding this PSU:

http://www.ebuyer.com/566848-powerc...active-pfc-14cm-fdb-fan-single-psupcb450bkmod

I wouldnt touch that PSU with a barge pole.
http://www.overclock.net/t/952185/dont-ever-buy-a-powercool-psu

Me recommendation which will trounce that AMD rig in gaming, but be similar for the transcoding.

manhack

Expecting delivery on my new PC parts today. Splurged a little on the system, but haven't put together a new PC since 2008 (i7-920/Radeon 5850) so it was easy to justify.

More exited than I thought I would be to get home from work and spend the evening putting this bad boy together. Will use my old PC as media center/emulator/steambox.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how it went later.

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Performance Full Tower Case

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor (3.5 GHz, 8 MB Cache, Intel HD graphics, BX80646I74770K)

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

PSU: SeaSonic 650-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Vidya Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked, 3GB, 3072MB,GDDR5 384bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Assorted parts from old PC: 256 GB SSD, 1 TB hard drive, etc. etc.

b0bbyJ03

uggh.. you have me worried now. I am wanting to go with the phenom.. so should be same guts. your gainward card should be 274mm. The MSI says it's 260mm. so about 1.5cm shorter. Hoping I don't have issues...

Question. I need to go from my old 1TB system drive to a new 250GB SSD. Can I just use CloneZilla on a boot thumb drive to do this? Is there something easier? I also need to similarly clone my OS X drive/system, though that is already on a 250GB HDD, so it's literally just a clone from the HDD to the SSD, which I was also going to use clonezilla for.
I have a GTX 780 that couldnt fit and i cut the back corner. it worked ( I also have a prodigy)

bryt

Depends on whether or not you format before installing your new OS. If you format the drive before installing you will lose everything on that drive, but if there's enough free space, you don't need to reformat and your old Windows folder will be renamed to windows.old (user and program files folders will also be renamed.)

Thanks. So if I just format drive C: then I won't lose anything in drive D: even though they're on the same hard drive correct?

Aretak

Who else got in on the 16GB Crucial Ballistix RAM that Amazon had for $53 two weeks back? Because mine is preparing for shipment and should arrive this week! :D

Only issue is the yellow won't match my current rig's colors/theme. Not that anyone could see them anyway once installed. #firstworldproblems
Me! Was quite surprised to get a shipping email today. I assumed it was some end of line product that they wouldn't get stock of again. Should be a decent upgrade from the 4GBs of 1333 I have now.

Jafku

Me! Was quite surprised to get a shipping email today. I assumed it was some end of line product that they wouldn't get stock of again. Should be a decent upgrade from the 4GBs of 1333 I have now.

Just received mine. The package did contain 4x4GB sticks. Just installed and no problems so far. Amazing deal. Now I guess I can sell my Corsair vengeance 4GB sticks.
pics:

I wouldnt touch that PSU with a barge pole.
http://www.overclock.net/t/952185/dont-ever-buy-a-powercool-psu

Me recommendation which will trounce that AMD rig in gaming, but be similar for the transcoding.

That's £60 more. I have a budget, I can't go over it. Thanks for the help but I can't increase my budget anymore. I'm already pushing it as it is. I was undecided on the PSU, it has decent reviews on Ebuyer and the specs are spot on but I'm not 100% on the brand. After using a modular PSU before though, it would be a pain to go back to a standard PSU.

I'll be adding this PSU:

"Hmm, I'll redeem those free games that came with the video card today"

We're sorry, this deal has expired. See our terms and conditions for details.

WELL FUCK YOU THEN.

sgjackson

So, I guess we agree that SLI or CF wouldn't be "overkill" at 1440p, or even, 1080p. That was response to the original question.

You don't have to try too hard to convince me - the money's there and and I'm pretty sensitive to framerate changes in games, so I love the idea of locking in at a solid 60.

The Radeon R9 290X is finally starting to drop in price, and performs really well at resolutions above 1920x1080. The PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X is an amazing card and it's $569.99. I usually stay away from PowerColor, but it seems they produced extremely well built R9 290 & 290X cards with their PCS+ line.

Note: This is a triple slot cooling solution.

Reviews:
TECHPOWERUP
HardwareCanucks
Guru3D
Hexus
OverclockersClub

I was actually wondering about this when I looked at parts, cause yeah, I saw reviews too and basically said "Wait, this seems like a really good card"

Triple slot might be a little awkward, but I'd love to hear more opinions about Powercolor as a whole.

With the new 2100$ budget, I'm thinking like this. Use case is gaming at 2560x1440 and art in Photoshop/Paint Tool SAI/Corel Painter, and streaming. We're also not overclocking.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($132.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($22.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2109.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-02 17:11 EDT-0400)

If the 450d is out of stock when we order I'll get something similar (probably an Arc Midi R2), and if we find extra money we'll bump up to R9 290x Crossfire.

oh hey, congrats, what card did you end up getting?

770 gainward, which turned out to be about 5mm too thick to fit inside the BitFenix Prodigy on account of its monstrous cooler so I had to perform surgery on the case with a hacksaw to allow it to fit. Then it turns out this card has a loud coil whine when under heavy load, so I'm planning to send it back to the manufacturer anyway. And then the codes are expired.

So, thus far, I'm pretty fucking irritated about my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom