• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

I'm running a 780 ti SLI setup and a 2700k @ 4.6. What kind of performance increase, if any, would I see from buying a new motherboard and a 4700k? I doubt my processor is bottle necking me so all I'd really be getting out of it is PCIe 3.0. I have no interest in gaming past 60 FPS/1440p, though, so it'll probably just be a waste of money to upgrade, right?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thinking of upgrading my PC sometime to be ready for more recent games soon and was wondering if most of this could be reused so I can save some money! Not looking to max everything out but some higher settings would be cool.

Current Specs: Intel Core i3-2100 / G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 / ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 / MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-Bit GDDR/ Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W /
NZXT Source 210 Elite/ WD 1.5 TB HDD Black

Budget: $300-400 willing to go slightly higher United States
Main Use:
Light Gaming - 3
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2
Video Editing - 1
Streaming games in HD - 4
3D/Model work (and what program) - 0 (N/A)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 2

Monitor Resolution: 1080p and probably won't go higher. Newer monitor I'm looking at is 1080p too. Consoles being hooked up to monitor as well factors into this.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I don't really have any specific game I'm using as a basis here I'll just say Watch_Dogs, but 60 FPS, and SuperSampling / CUDA is cool if I can get it but it's not a deal breaker.

Looking to reuse any parts?: ASUS P8P67, G.SKILL Sniper 8GB , 1.5 TB WD HDD Black, NZXT Source 210 Elite

When will you build?: No deadline I'll probably do it anytime from this to next month.

Will you be overclocking?: Unfamiliar with it so probably no.

I'd try putting this together myself but I've had along month and my brain is poo atm.
Drop in a 2500K or a 3570K after BIOS update: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67/HelpDesk_CPU/

Here's a crummy video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKXYHVeqIU
Just DL the file, put it on a USB stick and Flash it.

Luckily for you, you are the entire reason the i3 build is the budget build! CPUs have barely gotten any faster and used 2500K/3570K are pretty darn cheap (If you want to to that route, I have no problem buying used CPUs on forum or eBay and even did an RMA to Intel with one) which frees up more GPU money.

Then drop in a a nice 270X:
(Like PC because cheaper, good color, all basics) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131532
or GTX760 if you want nVidia

Make sure to get any SATA (or molex) to PCI-E power adapters if you need an extra 6 pin.
Anyone has any recommendations for a freeware to burn stuff to DVD?
imgburn
Hi Gaf :) i wanna buy a pc, the price range is $600 to $700 i made one, but is this any good that way i can get it by monday :)
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/unknownhpyzics/saved/4IwQ
Fill out bullets in OP.

At the very least upgrade the GPU to a 260X or 750Ti

appaws

Banned
Ive used both and for 1080p the 780 performs better and generates less heat than the 290. In bioshock infinite the difference is 10-15 avg fps but in other things it's very close. Haven't tried higher resolutions though and that's usually where the 290/290x shine. So I'm not loyal to any brand really I just feel that for 1080p the 780 is a better card but is it $100-$200 better?

I don't disagree that the 780 is better....but that means nothing because of the massive price difference. The 780 is also better than the 280X, 280, 270X, 270, R7 265, 260X, and 260. All of these mean nothing.

It all depends on your budget. For $400, there is nothing better than the R9 290. Nothing.

That guy you were originally responding to, I believe had a $400 budget but wouldn't consider the 290 at all. To me that is a mistake.

But hey, if the pleasure you get from having a build made only of certain brands outweighs objective performance measures...to quote someone in the news lately, "who am I to judge?"

kennah

Yeesh. Trying to figure out where the hell I should put this Corsair H60 in a Bitfenix Prodigy.
Right on the back is a pretty obvious mounting point. Or you could put it on the top. It's up to you.
I'm running a 780 ti SLI setup and a 2700k @ 4.6. What kind of performance increase, if any, would I see from buying a new motherboard and a 4700k? I doubt my processor is bottle necking me so all I'd really be getting out of it is PCIe 3.0. I have no interest in gaming past 60 FPS/1440p, though, so it'll probably just be a waste of money to upgrade, right?
Cpu wise minimal to no difference.

Your pci3 point might be valid though. Dual 780tis might come close to maxing out 2.0

I don't disagree that the 780 is better....but that means nothing because of the massive price difference. The 780 is also better than the 280X, 280, 270X, 270, R7 265, 260X, and 260. All of these mean nothing.

It all depends on your budget. For $400, there is nothing better than the R9 290. Nothing.

That guy you were originally responding to, I believe had a $400 budget but wouldn't consider the 290 at all. To me that is a mistake.

But hey, if the pleasure you get from having a build made only of certain brands outweighs objective performance measures...to quote someone in the news lately, "who am I to judge?"

Yeah at $400 its not even close

xBladeM6x

I heard the radiator was thicker on the 105, and it's a tight fit with that motherboard power cable that goes in the top-top port. Mounted the radiator at the top.

Fractal R4 case here.

yes i want it for gaming :) but i don't no what parts :(

Edit: what about this one http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2HsWH

This is about as close to a quality, high end build as you're going to get with a budget like that. I can start cutting corners for you to save money, but you won't have "ideal parts" kind of machine. Let me know if that's needed. Otherwise, this one I built for you will crush a ton of games you throw at it on high / ultra settings.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Mqm4

mkenyon

Banned
So, I have two systems up and running with similar performance.

One has 16GB of RAM, Sniper M5, and a 4770K.

The other has 8GB of RAM, Z77X-UP7, 2500K and a Soundblaster Zx.

Im pretty sure the latter system is going to be my daily driver, just on the basis of the Zx.

I really think people should look at splurging there first before looking at more powerful procs or RAM. Good sound is sogood.

riflen

So....

Is there a diagnostic tool out there that can log what happens when your system crashes? I got my 4k monitor last week, and have tried to run Heaven on it 3x, and BF4 1x. The first two Heaven runs I had a heavy OC on my 780Tis. About halfway through the PC completely shut down. Also tried BF4 SP and it got to the intro credits and shut down. The third time I set everything back to default . PC shutdown again when running Heaven.

Event Viewer doesn't tell me anything...all it says is:

The previous system shutdown at 8:27:10 AM on ‎5/‎18/‎2014 was unexpected.

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This doesn't really help me a whole lot. I'm leaning towards this being a PSU issue...but I'm not sure :(. Some kind of diagnostic tool would be helpful.

Smokey, if Windows is suffering a blue-screen crash, then you can configure it to remain on the crash screen instead of restarting instantly.
With some systems, you wont even see the crash message, because the monitor loses sync for a split second and that's enough to miss the screen.

Go to System Properties > Advanced system settings > Start-up and recovery > Settings and un-check Automatically restart.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Im pretty sure the latter system is going to be my daily driver, just on the basis of the Zx.

I really think people should look at splurging there first before looking at more powerful procs or RAM. Good sound is sogood.
You mean adequate sound is good right? I tried the Zx and it was nice though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

Really puts things in perspective

NoRéN

But what kind of speakers would I need to benefit from a soundcard like that?

NoRéN;112492447 said:

Something better than Logitech haha

That's the reason I didn't get a dedicted sound card yet. Don't worth it to spend hundreds of bucks for both, a card and a sound system.

unknownphyzics

Neo Member
NoRéN;112486987 said:
take a look at the OP.

ok i look into it.

Fill out bullets in OP.

At the very least upgrade the GPU to a 260X or 750Ti

will do that thanks.

This is about as close to a quality, high end build as you're going to get with a budget like that. I can start cutting corners for you to save money, but you won't have "ideal parts" kind of machine. Let me know if that's needed. Otherwise, this one I built for you will crush a ton of games you throw at it on high / ultra settings.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Mqm4

thanks for this, but i would like to go a little cheaper please, because i only have $800 on me right now. i don't get paid in about 2weeks thanks again. If its in the $700 mark price i would be good i dont mind playing my games on medium settings :) ill just upgrade my graphics card later on, when i have money.

xBladeM6x

ok i look into it.

will do that thanks.

thanks for this, but i would like to go a little cheaper please, because i only have $800 on me right now. i don't get paid in about 2weeks thanks again. If its in the $700 mark price i would be good i dont mind playing my games on medium settings :) ill just upgrade my graphics card later on, when i have money.

Hmmm, in that case I would just wait until you had the money. You don't want to rush it, and end up with a middle-of-the-road kind of computer that's only decent for a year. You might as well wait, get another paycheck, and then order a higher end setup. It will be cheaper in the long run if you do that.

mkenyon

Banned
You mean adequate sound is good right? I tried the Zx and it was nice though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
I can subjectively say it sounds much better than the onboard Creative (Recon-based) chip on the M5. Like, no fucking question.
NoRéN;112492447 said:
I use AKG Q701s. I'd imagine any of the great >$100 headsets would. DT990 Pros come to mind.

Is 3GB of VRam a huge bottle neck if one doesn't expect to play games past 1080 or 1440p max? I ask because the 6GB EVGA GTX 780 is $100 more expensive than the Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II on Amazon right now.

xBladeM6x

Is 3GB of VRam a huge bottle neck if one doesn't expect to play games past 1080 or 1440p max? I ask because the 6GB EVGA GTX 780 is $100 more expensive than the Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II on Amazon right now.

If you're gaming in any higher of a resolution than 1080p, you want that extra VRAM. I would go with the 6GB version.

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU to a Mantle-compatible one. Right now I have a 6870 1gb. I'm looking at the 7870 and 280X. I will be using a 1600x900 monitor and I have a Phenom II x4 965BE CPU and a 600w PSU. I'd rather not have to upgrade my PSU if I don't need too.

Where I am at is whether or not the $100+ extra price of the 280X is worth it for the performance gain over the 7870 at only 900p. I am also worried that only 2gb of VRAM won't be enough. Right now I can run Civ5 at max settings, Battlefield 3 at medium to get 60fps, DayZ at lowest settings to get 60fps, and Skyrim at maximum with the memory mod fix to get 60fps. I can't use any ENBs or high texture mods though.

In the future I am looking to play Civ: Beyond Earth, Fallout 4, Star Citizen, Titanfall, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I am looking at this specific 280X and this specific 7870.

maneil99

Assuming you can even get up to 4.6ghz (which is hard on haswell ) you might see a 10-15% boost in CPU performance, which doesn't scale to fps.

maneil99

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU to a Mantle-compatible one. Right now I have a 6870 1gb. I'm looking at the 7870 and 280X. I will be using a 1600x900 monitor and I have a Phenom II x4 965BE CPU and a 600w PSU. I'd rather not have to upgrade my PSU if I don't need too.

Where I am at is whether or not the $100+ extra price of the 280X is worth it for the performance gain over the 7870 at only 900p. I am also worried that only 2gb of VRAM won't be enough. Right now I can run Civ5 at max settings, Battlefield 3 at medium to get 60fps, DayZ at lowest settings to get 60fps, and Skyrim at maximum with the memory mod fix to get 60fps. I can't use any ENBs or high texture mods though.

In the future I am looking to play Civ: Beyond Earth, Fallout 4, Star Citizen, Titanfall, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I am looking at this specific 280X and this specific 7870.

280x = 7970
Go with the 7970/280x whichever you can find for cheaper..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I use an external dac for sound and like it quite a bit.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Hey guys,

One of the tubes from my h100i slightly touches the top of my 200mm front, intake fan. I tried to mount the tubes on the other side, but I could only get the cooler to mount properly in my case (BitFenix Prodigy) by having the tubes in the front. Should I be concerned?

atomico

So GAF, my gaming PC died and I need a replacement motherboard and CPU.

Old proc was an i7 2600k. I'm looking at a 4770k to replace it. I'm clueless about motherboards, tho. Would an Asus Maximus Vi Hero be a decent choice?

Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I'm stuck with 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GTX 680 video card. I don't intend on running games any higher than 1080p.

appaws

Banned
So GAF, my gaming PC died and I need a replacement motherboard and CPU.

Old proc was an i7 2600k. I'm looking at a 4770k to replace it. I'm clueless about motherboards, tho. Would an Asus Maximus Vi Hero be a decent choice?

Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I'm stuck with 8GB of RAM and a 2GB GTX 680 video card. I don't intend on running games any higher than 1080p.

Yes, that Asus motherboard is excellent. You are fine with that, especially at 1080p.

Duh, I should have mentioned that if you can wait a few weeks, you maybe should go with Z97 and Devil's Canyon.

Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125
plus whatever the k-series i7 part is going to be called.

atomico

Yes, that Asus motherboard is excellent. You are fine with that, especially at 1080p.

Duh, I should have mentioned that if you can wait a few weeks, you maybe should go with Z97 and Devil's Canyon.

Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125
plus whatever the k-series i7 part is going to be called.

Hmmm interesting...

Waiting might be kinda tricky, tho. Got a great deal with a credit card promo-thing that expires in a few days.

Anyone want to be kind enough to recommend a lower tier CPU/Mobo for this build for my friend before he buys it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3MbB8

He will only be using it for streaming/gaming and will not be overclocking. Not sure where to start on cheaper motherboards. I think he needs wireless on the mobo though or a wireless card.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Anyone want to be kind enough to recommend a lower tier CPU/Mobo for this build for my friend before he buys it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3MbB8

He will only be using it for streaming/gaming and will not be overclocking. Not sure where to start on cheaper motherboards. I think he needs wireless on the mobo though or a wireless card.
A cheaper Z97 mobo and the Xeon 4C/8T for $230 I can't remember the name of ATM.

Might be hard to find compatibility lists for that now however.

PSU is also way overkill

A cheaper Z97 mobo and the Xeon 4C/8T for $230 I can't remember the name of ATM.

Might be hard to find compatibility lists for that now however.

PSU is also way overkill

I think his CPU is fine in that build. It's the best non-K CPU for performance in games, correct?

Gods will the 800 series ever come out

D:
I know, right? I've been waiting for them to come out and every day we don't get any news about them makes me wonder if buying a 760 or 770 would be a good idea, especially since they have Watch Dogs bundled in (which is why I planned to update my GPU in the first place).

PFD

Gods will the 800 series ever come out

D:

Can't wait anymore. Just ordered a GTX 770 for $319, and I'm planning to sell the Watch Dogs code to offset the price a little. I have a 1440p monitor, and my GTS 250 can't handle shit. I'm having trouble running a 5 year old game (mirror's edge) with decent framerates.

Should be fun

I cracked months ago and am running a 780. Even so, I will flip this for an 880 as soon as it becomes available. Should be able to recover a significant chunk of my initial investment.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think his CPU is fine in that build. It's the best non-K CPU for performance in games, correct?
Yeah, but you can get 8T for $20 more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906
Question: I bought this RAM because it was $60 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057Q4ADU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And didn't notice it was 1.65v, I read somewhere that going more than 1.5v can potentially break your CPU / Mobo (I'll be building a 4670k + Asus Z87mATX plus)

Should I lower the voltage and speed to 1333Mhz or is it fine at 1.65v 1600Mhz?
Just run it at 1.5V 1600Mhz and up the timings by 1, check with memtest 86 overnight
It's honestly probably fine now, but almost all sticks sans the old HyperX 1.65V overstock are 1.5V or 1.35V now

Jesb

Any particular reason not to upgrade to windows 8? Thinking of making the switch now that I've discovered reddit and the deals. Will I be able to play all my games just like windows 7?

Anything i should know before making the switch?

I'm looking at the Z97 mobos and don't see many reliable reviews for some yet. Are any known to be really good or is it a shot in the dark right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom