• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

UK retailer, Cheapest prices, Parts separate (since I'm paying over 2 month)

I have no idea what PSU i'd need. Just figured 1000w would do it and if it's overkill then I can throw in another 780 ti later or something.

Is this just for gaming or are you looking to do multimedia work? If it's just gaming you can drop down to the 4670K and 8GB of RAM, but it depends on whether you just want the best of the best. I'll do two builds.

Also, what about storage too? Already have HDD/SSD? I'll just do these based on the parts you've chosen.

So this is 4770K + 16GB RAM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£235.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£135.57 @ Dabs)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£109.25 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£479.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.32 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£98.99 @ Dabs)
Total: £1165.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 10:53 BST+0100)

And now 4670K + 8GB RAM

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.44 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.03 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£55.96 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£479.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.32 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£98.99 @ Dabs)
Total: £1007.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 10:56 BST+0100)

You could even cut the PSU in that one a bit too, but that XFX in both builds leaves room for multi GPU.

You could also go AMD too with the R9 290 and 290X.

Then it's a matter of looking at cards like the R9 290X and 780 Ti for your budget.

Thinking of upgrading my PC sometime to be ready for more recent games soon and was wondering if most of this could be reused so I can save some money! Not looking to max everything out but some higher settings would be cool.

Current Specs: Intel Core i3-2100 / G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 / ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 / MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-Bit GDDR/ Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W /
NZXT Source 210 Elite/ WD 1.5 TB HDD Black

Budget: $300-400 willing to go slightly higher United States
Main Use:
Light Gaming - 3
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2
Video Editing - 1
Streaming games in HD - 4
3D/Model work (and what program) - 0 (N/A)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 2

Monitor Resolution: 1080p and probably won't go higher. Newer monitor I'm looking at is 1080p too. Consoles being hooked up to monitor as well factors into this.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I don't really have any specific game I'm using as a basis here I'll just say Watch_Dogs, but 60 FPS, and SuperSampling / CUDA is cool if I can get it but it's not a deal breaker.

Looking to reuse any parts?: ASUS P8P67, G.SKILL Sniper 8GB , 1.5 TB WD HDD Black, NZXT Source 210 Elite

When will you build?: No deadline I'll probably do it anytime from this to next month.

Will you be overclocking?: Unfamiliar with it so probably no.

I'd try putting this together myself but I've had along month and my brain is poo atm.

You could look at a couple of avenues. Your i3 could be updated to an i5 3570K with a BIOS update to the motherboard. Your mobo would let you OC it too and you could just plonk a Hyper 212 on top. You could also move from a 460 to a 760 or an R9 280.

If you were to do both upgrades a) you'd need a new PSU and b) you'd be talking $500 for the two, unless you looked at a used 3570K or even a 2500K.

Furoba

What are generally the best places to buy hardware from in Japan?
Amazon JP? Yodobashi? BIC?

I am looking to build a 800-1000 USD-ish budget rig. Any big advantages if I wait until the end of the year; rather than the summer?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks. Your post gave me confidence to continue screwing around. I can boot at 1.25v and 4.1 but it eventually crashed when I ran a stress test. Now to learn more about how to tweak and optimize.

Settled at 4.0 and 1.25v. Tried 4.1 and bumped it up to 1.28. Kept crashing eventually during stress tests. Shiiiieeet. I wonder if I fucked up my thermal paste or something. Running Evo 212.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just get some Ivy Bridge i5 cpu and gtx 760 and you should be fine. PSU might need change after that.

Altrough just to be clear 60 fps + supersampling and/or cuda at 1080p with 400$ is impossible for 2014 games.
Yeah I'm just looking for good enough for 2014 games with super sampling and such reserved for less intensive/older games.

You could look at a couple of avenues. Your i3 could be updated to an i5 3570K with a BIOS update to the motherboard. Your mobo would let you OC it too and you could just plonk a Hyper 212 on top. You could also move from a 460 to a 760 or an R9 280.

If you were to do both upgrades a) you'd need a new PSU and b) you'd be talking $500 for the two, unless you looked at a used 3570K or even a 2500K.

How difficult is it to update BIOS? Mostly shy away from it since I could end up borking it.

I'm fine with going over about $200 I just want to make sure I got the right parts picked out before ordering since I want to keep costs down. I haven't had any problems with my 460 so I think I'll go with the 760, and upgrading to a i5 3570k sounds fine. What PSU do you think would be a suitable replacement?

kharma45

How difficult is it to update BIOS? Mostly shy away from it since I could end up borking it.

I'm fine with going over about $200 I just want to make sure I got the right parts picked out before ordering since I want to keep costs down. I haven't had any problems with my 460 so I think I'll go with the 760, and upgrading to a i5 3570k sounds fine. What PSU do you think would be a suitable replacement?

Updating the BIOS isn't too hard. The files for it are here

You update like so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKXYHVeqIU http://www.overclock.net/t/963294/how-to-update-bios-asus-p8p67

Doing so will let you use Ivy Bridge CPUs (the 3570K and the 3770K). Otherwise you're limited to choosing between the 2500K, 2600K and 2700K. None of which are bad chips either.

PSU wise it depends as they're on offer all the time. The Antec BP550 is a solid modular unit but the Antec HCG 620 modular is the same price as it atm and it's a great unit.

Akai__

Finally installed my Asus GTX780Ti DC2, which arrived yesterday.

Clean install was a little bit annoying at first, because I didn't figure out, how to do it properly, but now I'm set,
hopefully
. Can't wait to play Watch Dogs and other games, with it.

Edit: I just saw, that there are BIOS updates available for my Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC. Is it recommended, to download those? Do I need to download all of them or just the newest?

wildfire

Banned
Question to those where lowest frame times is of utmost importance, are you able to squeeze out more performance and less frame drops by using a ram disk?

pixlexic

Banned
Can anyone make me a recommendation on a case?

I currently have this monster:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051U1XMI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's great and all, but it's huge, and i'm looking for something a lot more clean looking rather than an alien looking piece of machinery.

I've been attracted to the bitfenix shenobi cases, based upon aesthetics, but am looking for other opinions. Definitely want to go with a mid tower instead of full tower.

What's going in it:

Corsair H100i
AMD 8350
Gigabyte 7970OC edition
1x samsung 840 pro ssd
1x WD 1 tb hdd
asus dvd drive

leaning towards this guy, thoughts?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D5S2ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just wanted say that you will not disappointed in that h100i.

I got one a while back and was so impressed. Not only does to work very we
L but everything is top quality parts. Also the fans are separate from the radiator so they can be replaced if needed.

My CPU a intel 3770 runs at a solid 26 c

You know, I built my PC (2500k OC'd, 8 GB RAM, 560 Ti, etc) in mid-2011 expecting to only use it for gaming. I remember thinking 8 GB of RAM, for example, was overkill. Here I am in mid-2014, 3 years later, using more than 4 GB of RAM for my research for my PhD (I work with sequencing microbial DNA, so we use software that basically runs a ton of algorithms far beyond my understand to help us interpret our data). I kinda wish I'd gotten that 2600k now!

So, thanks for all your help 3 years ago PC-GAF. I'm getting a huge itch to just build a whole new rig for the fun of it... but, I think I can hold off for a while with just a good GPU upgrade.

ZC0cVzH.jpg

kharma45

You know, I built my PC (2500k OC'd, 8 GB RAM, 560 Ti, etc) in mid-2011 expecting to only use it for gaming. I remember thinking 8 GB of RAM, for example, was overkill. Here I am in mid-2014, 3 years later, using more than 4 GB of RAM for my research for my PhD (I work with sequencing microbial DNA, so we use software that basically runs a ton of algorithms far beyond my understand to help us interpret our data). I kinda wish I'd gotten that 2600k now!

So, thanks for all your help 3 years ago PC-GAF. I'm getting a huge itch to just build a whole new rig for the fun of it... but, I think I can hold off for a while with just a good GPU upgrade.

You could always sell your 2500K and move to a 2600K/2700K/3770K for not too much if your software can make use of all the treads they offer. Your 2500K will still be worth a good bit if you were to sell it so it wouldn't be a massively expensive upgrade.

GPU wise a 760 or an R9 280 would be a good upgrade for you.

Is this just for gaming or are you looking to do multimedia work? If it's just gaming you can drop down to the 4670K and 8GB of RAM, but it depends on whether you just want the best of the best. I'll do two builds.

Also, what about storage too? Already have HDD/SSD? I'll just do these based on the parts you've chosen.

So this is 4770K + 16GB RAM

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£235.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£135.57 @ Dabs)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£109.25 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1165.06
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 10:53 BST+0100)

And now 4670K + 8GB RAM

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.44 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.03 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£55.96 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1007.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 10:56 BST+0100)

You could even cut the PSU in that one a bit too, but that XFX in both builds leaves room for multi GPU.

Any big limitations. If i was still willing to spend £1300 what would you add?

ACE 1991

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CUIVSNS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Close to pulling the trigger on this GPU. While I know no one can know this for sure, is it likely that I'll get good performance at 1080p with this card for the next 2 years at least? Also, I'm rocking a Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU, will this be enough for this? Also if my motherboard could house a 6950 (the GPU I'm upgrading from) I should be able to run a GTX 780, correct? Thanks!

dmr87

Greetings from my new PC! Thanks to all for your input on the machine.

Nice, saw your pics on Twitter, dat cable management. ;)

Just wanted to say that you should check that AHCI is enabled for your SSD so you don't miss out on performance, it's somewhere under the SATA options in your UEFI(bios). If you missed that you need to change it and reinstall windows, or you can try this, http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676 / http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

Also check if TRIM is enabled, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403 / http://www.buildcomputers.net/trim-support.html

All this is for Windows 7, I don't know if it's the same in Win 8.

Smokey

So....

Is there a diagnostic tool out there that can log what happens when your system crashes? I got my 4k monitor last week, and have tried to run Heaven on it 3x, and BF4 1x. The first two Heaven runs I had a heavy OC on my 780Tis. About halfway through the PC completely shut down. Also tried BF4 SP and it got to the intro credits and shut down. The third time I set everything back to default . PC shutdown again when running Heaven.

Event Viewer doesn't tell me anything...all it says is:

The previous system shutdown at 8:27:10 AM on ‎5/‎18/‎2014 was unexpected.

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This doesn't really help me a whole lot. I'm leaning towards this being a PSU issue...but I'm not sure :(. Some kind of diagnostic tool would be helpful.

If my build isn't super time sensitive, should I wait for the Z97 boards and the refreshed i5 CPUs? Do we know pricing on new CPU's yet? Are the first batches of Z97 boards likely to have issues?

kennah

If my build isn't super time sensitive, should I wait for the Z97 boards and the refreshed i5 CPUs? Do we know pricing on new CPU's yet? Are the first batches of Z97 boards likely to have issues?
Up to you.

We don't know but probably the same.

We don't know but sometimes there is a weird issue on some boards. Historically: Sandy Brodge had boot loops. Ivy Bridge was fine but overclocked for shit. Haswell has some issues with 4 sticks of ram at a time.

xBladeM6x

I heard the radiator was thicker on the 105, and it's a tight fit with that motherboard power cable that goes in the top-top port. Mounted the radiator at the top.

Fractal R4 case here.

I plan on getting a Corsair 750D Obsidian (Full ATX) so I'm assuming that clearance shouldn't be an issue.

So....

Is there a diagnostic tool out there that can log what happens when your system crashes? I got my 4k monitor last week, and have tried to run Heaven on it 3x, and BF4 1x. The first two Heaven runs I had a heavy OC on my 780Tis. About halfway through the PC completely shut down. Also tried BF4 SP and it got to the intro credits and shut down. The third time I set everything back to default . PC shutdown again when running Heaven.

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This doesn't really help me a whole lot. I'm leaning towards this being a PSU issue...but I'm not sure :(. Some kind of diagnostic tool would be helpful.
What power supply do you have?

I heard the radiator was thicker on the 105, and it's a tight fit with that motherboard power cable that goes in the top-top port. Mounted the radiator at the top.

Fractal R4 case here.

You can move some stuff and mount the radiator in the front. There is actually a video by Fractal themselves that shows this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqLxS38SCVA&noredirect=1

Id rather stick with NVIDIA tbh tho. Last and card i had kinda soured my opinion of amd overall

I feel the same as you. It;s just so damn cheap though it's so hard to resist

So....

and

That sounds like a PSU problem but your 1000W Seasonic should handle things easily. Are all of your cables firmly in place?

hitsugi

Close to pulling the trigger on this GPU. While I know no one can know this for sure, is it likely that I'll get good performance at 1080p with this card for the next 2 years at least? Also, I'm rocking a Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W PSU, will this be enough for this? Also if my motherboard could house a 6950 (the GPU I'm upgrading from) I should be able to run a GTX 780, correct? Thanks!

A 780 for 1080p? Can't it also handle 1440p?

mkenyon

Banned
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
The fact that it's a hard crash is what throws me for a loop. If it were a GPU/driver failure, usually you'd just get a momentary black screen and then get back into Windows.

The full on power down combined with everything else is weird as fuck. I'd try just a single GPU to see if it makes a difference, then switch the GPU. If it works with a single GPU in both, it has to be a PSU issue.
A 780 for 1080p? Can't it also handle 1080p @ 120Hz?
Fixt. And yes it can.

Smokey

The fact that it's a hard crash is what throws me for a loop. If it were a GPU/driver failure, usually you'd just get a momentary black screen and then get back into Windows.

The full on power down combined with everything else is weird as fuck. I'd try just a single GPU to see if it makes a difference, then switch the GPU. If it works with a single GPU in both, it has to be a PSU issue.

It only happens when I do anything GPU related such as gaming. I can sit here all day browsing or doing anything else on the PC and it doesn't crash. Going to try and revert back to a previous driver set and my 1080p screen. Then try single GPUs. Then Prime 95 for CPU.

Sounds extremely fun.

It only happens when I do anything GPU related such as gaming. I can sit here all day browsing or doing anything else on the PC and it doesn't crash. Going to try and revert back to a previous driver set and my 1080p screen. Then try single GPUs. Then Prime 95 for CPU.

Sounds extremely fun.

Before taking things apart if I were you I would make sure all of my power cables are firmly in place and also try running things without Overclocking.

appaws

Banned
I feel the same as you. It;s just so damn cheap though it's so hard to resist

Times have changed...things move quick in PC hardware and brand loyalty outlives it's usefulness over night.

It's like saying I won't buy a 2014 Escape because I had an 89 Escort and I had a bad experience.

Be a mercenary and get the best bang for your buck. Nvidia does not give a crap about you so why be loyal to them. And fuck AMD as well. If Nvidia comes out with a $400 card that outperforms the R9 290, that becomes the choice

I give them money, they give me the gaming experience I want. That is the extent of the relationship. I save my loyalty for the Bears and my mom.

Presumably you're talking about 3D video graphics adapters. V-sync and anti-aliasing were implemented from the beginning with 3Dfx's Voodoo Graphics supporting edge anti-aliasing for OpenGL in 1996. It produced rather poor results though.

I think it wasn't really until around 1998 that anti-aliasing was supported by the DirectX hardware, like Nvidia's Riva TNT. Later, in 1999 the Geforce 256 DDR supported ordered grid super-sampling anti-aliasing. In 2000 3Dfx's Voodoo 4/5 were capable of rotated grid super-sampling anti-aliasing.

So now if you force these things[especially on old games] it will not produce poor results since it's more than enough power with modern hardware correct? Also if a game in the late 90's did not have an in game option for vsync or AA,those older cards back then can have the option to force it correct?

maneil99

So....

and

Look under warnings and errors maybe. If your PC shuts down it's almost guaranteed to be a PSU issue. Try BF4 with vsync, it won't use your GPU's as much therefor you might not crash, or disable SLi, if that works you know its your PSU

Times have changed...things move quick in PC hardware and brand loyalty outlives it's usefulness over night.

It's like saying I won't buy a 2014 Escape because I had an 89 Escort and I had a bad experience.

Be a mercenary and get the best bang for your buck. Nvidia does not give a crap about you so why be loyal to them. And fuck AMD as well. If Nvidia comes out with a $400 card that outperforms the R9 290, that becomes the choice

I give them money, they give me the gaming experience I want. That is the extent of the relationship. I save my loyalty for the Bears and my mom.

Ive used both and for 1080p the 780 performs better and generates less heat than the 290. In bioshock infinite the difference is 10-15 avg fps but in other things it's very close. Haven't tried higher resolutions though and that's usually where the 290/290x shine. So I'm not loyal to any brand really I just feel that for 1080p the 780 is a better card but is it $100-$200 better?

Kalm

Same, however I think the 350d or 450d look much better than the 550d imo.

The 350d is a little cramped for the SLI build I'm planning, unfortunately.

I'm looking hard at the 450d but I have doubts about the board/gpu LEDs being a nuisance -- I'm building this for couch gaming so it needs to be able to double as an HTPC.
---

Does anyone have experience running a windowed case directly next to a TV?

It'll be sitting on the right-hand side of a glossy plasma and I'm worried that I'll constantly see accent lights and glow in my peripheral vision... :/

ACE 1991

A 780 for 1080p? Can't it also handle 1440p?

Yes, I'll probably upgrade my monitor somewhere down the line. Can someone let me know if I should be a okay to get a 780 given my rig above?

Thanks for the link! I saw a video of someone who had it like that but I couldn't figure out how he got the cable to reach all the way! Anyway, it was so much effort putting it together, I'm good!

NP. My main issue with the define R4 is how little space there is between the motherboard and the top of the case. I guess you can always put the radiator inside the case at the top and put the fans outside of the case on top but that would not look very nice and would require a bit of modding. Hope you figure a way out that works for you

TheMink

Im keeping my eye on the potential of a Amd 290 price drop, but apperently its loud correct? Is there a better alternative at the same price? Preferably amd becasue of irrational company illigence.

Im keeping my eye on the potential of a Amd 290 price drop, but apperently its loud correct? Is there a better alternative at the same price? Preferably amd becasue of irrational company illigence.

The reference model is loud but the non reference models with better cooling solutions by Sapphire, MSI, and other brands are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom