• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Sure, I guess. There's a similar version of that mobo for 2 pounds more, and it has 3 fan headers. GA-B150-D3H.

Imo it's worth it for the fan headers, it's one thing I always look out for even if you won't use them all.
Usually I want a minimum of 3, CPU/intake/exhaust.

A8EcBOC.jpg

Playstation 9000

sikkinixx

As I was sitting here questioning if I wanna upgrade to a PS4 Pro I had a thought...If I have a 2500k, 16gb of ram, an SSD and a 460GTX (yes all old I know) but pop in a better video card (1060/480ish?) would that allow me to get back into PC gaming with newer stuff? I can't afford the full-pull rebuild yet and I know that's a lot more than selling my PS4 and getting a Pro but man I miss PC gaming.

kennah

As I was sitting here questioning if I wanna upgrade to a PS4 Pro I had a thought...If I have a 2500k, 16gb of ram, an SSD and a 460GTX (yes all old I know) but pop in a better video card (1060/480ish?) would that allow me to get back into PC gaming with newer stuff? I can't afford the full-pull rebuild yet and I know that's a lot more than selling my PS4 and getting a Pro but man I miss PC gaming.

Yep, that is all you need to do. Especially if you can overclock your CPU.

Sir_JD

Neo Member
New PC build time at long last! 2 years surviving on an old laptop does crazy things to you, let me tell you...

Current Specs: N/A
Budget: $3,000 -> $3,500 (New Zealand Dollars. Does not include cost of monitor)
Main Use:
  1. General Usage
  2. Streaming Games
  3. Video Editing
  4. Emulation
  5. Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 3440x1440
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well (30+ FPS):
  • ArmA3
  • Witcher 3
  • Star Citizen
  • Elite Dangerous
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: 4-6 weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Onto the prospective build! Not overly attached to any of this, so feel free to critique.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($717.68 @ Ascent Technology)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($502.55 @ PC Force)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($180.87 @ Ascent Technology)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($244.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($1044.00 @ PC Force)
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($229.95 @ Computer Lounge)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($197.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Monitor: Acer Predator XR341CK 34.0" 75Hz Monitor
Total: $3116.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-14 16:16 NZDT+1300

Any thoughts? Recommendations? Budget is a rough guide, but I'm flexible. My major questions at the moment would be:

1. Is the G1 still the go-to 1080?
  2. X99 still worth pursuing? Or should I be looking at Skylake?
  3. I'm looking at the Acer as my 3440x1440 monitor of choice. Any other reccs?

Thanks!

friz898

Have a Geforce 680 coming in the mail that will be replacing my 570. Had me kinda wondering about any other upgrades that I may want to consider.

I only looked at the best chip my MB could handle, which appears to be a i7 3770k and few websites made it sound like it'd be a very slight difference.

Also, maybe doubling my ram from 8gb to 16?

Current specs with a clumsy copy/paste job from my June 2012 NewEgg order.

1 x Rosewill Computer Case - CHALLENGER - ATX Mid Tower - Black, Gaming - Three Included Fans

1 x GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power

1 x Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W BX80623I52500K Desktop

1 x G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model

I also already have SSD harddrives and as stated at the beginning, I currently have a 570 and will soon have a 680.

I appreciate any suggestions folks!

Summoner

New PC build time at long last! 2 years surviving on an old laptop does crazy things to you, let me tell you...........

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($717.68 @ Ascent Technology)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($502.55 @ PC Force)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($180.87 @ Ascent Technology)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($244.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($1044.00 @ PC Force)
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($229.95 @ Computer Lounge)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($197.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Monitor: Acer Predator XR341CK 34.0" 75Hz Monitor............

Any thoughts? Recommendations? Budget is a rough guide, but I'm flexible. My major questions at the moment would be:

[*]I'm looking at the Acer as my 3440x1440 monitor of choice. Any other reccs?
[/LIST]

Thanks!
You got a Nvidia GPU with a AMD Free Sync monitor!!

Any recommendations for a keyboard. I've been trying to find something like my old Microsoft Sidewinder, which they don't make anymore. I've been trying to find something with a backlit keyboard, a numpad, and media buttons for under 70 bucks but haven't had luck finding anything.

Any recommendations for a keyboard. I've been trying to find something like my old Microsoft Sidewinder, which they don't make anymore. I've been trying to find something with a backlit keyboard, a numpad, and media buttons for under 70 bucks but haven't had luck finding anything.

The Logitech G610 is slightly above budget at $89, but it has everything you want and is also mechanical. Possibly will be in budget on BF.

Looking for some recommendations here. I'm versed in building pretty robust gaming PC's and servers, but this is a first for me. Tired of my kids fighting over the second PC in my office, I'm going to build my daughter her own PC for Christmas. She's a pretty avid PC gamer now and I feel it's time she gets her own PC and as such I want to build her something to start her off.

She likes playing games like Tomb Raider and Sims, so she's all over the spectrum. This will also be an SFF build and the PC will reside on her desk vs the floor. She's a teen and she's already has enough shit on the floor, so I rather not put this PC on the floor. I'm looking at the following build for her, but of course, please chime in with recommendations / changes. Obviously, this will be the starter build for her but I wanted to do it right.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor or Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core
MOBO: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
MEMORY: 8GB DDR4 Crucial
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti (I want a smaller GPU footprint and will upgrade as she gets older or as I upgrade my cards)
CASE: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX
PSU: Corsair CX450M

LordAlu

Looking for some recommendations here. I'm versed in building pretty robust gaming PC's and servers, but this is a first for me. Tired of my kids fighting over the second PC in my office, I'm going to build my daughter her own PC for Christmas. She's a pretty avid PC gamer now and I feel it's time she gets her own PC and as such I want to build her something to start her off.

She likes playing games like Tomb Raider and Sims, so she's all over the spectrum. This will also be an SFF build and the PC will reside on her desk vs the floor. She's a teen and she's already has enough shit on the floor, so I rather not put this PC on the floor. I'm looking at the following build for her, but of course, please chime in with recommendations / changes. Obviously, this will be the starter build for her but I wanted to do it right.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor or Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core
MOBO: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
MEMORY: 8GB DDR4 Crucial
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti (I want a smaller GPU footprint and will upgrade as she gets older or as I upgrade my cards)
CASE: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX
PSU: Corsair CX450M
The i3 version should be more than good enough. Use a single stick of RAM so you've got room to go up later.
Have you looked into the Raijintek Metis as a case? It's small like the Node 500 but a little cheaper and comes in various colours, which might be a good choice for your daughter rather than a black box.

The i3 version should be more than good enough. Use a single stick of RAM so you've got room to go up later.
Have you looked into the Raijintek Metis as a case? It's small like the Node 500 but a little cheaper and comes in various colours, which might be a good choice for your daughter rather than a black box.

Oh, that's nice. She'll like that, thanks for the heads up.

Kind of disappointed with Samsung and my 960 Evo pre-order. The site said 2-4 weeks when I pre-ordered and it seems like they won't meet that since it's apparently "heavily backordered" when I asked them about it today.

Has anyone who ordered one gotten theirs?

Edit: And now they're doing a free Watch Dogs 2 promo I don't qualify for since I pre-ordered right when it came out. Ugh.

Rizific

im no rocket surgeon, but that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

gtx 1080 $630
6700k $330
ram $60
good psu $100
Kingston 480 ssd $115
Mobo $150
Win10 $100

piece meal is $1500 without a case and all the extras
Skorpion K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
$100 Windows Store Gift Card
Gears of War 4
Intel Holiday Gaming Bundle: Warhammer: End Times Vermintide and Tom Clancey's Rainbow Six

hey guys, noobie question here so please be gentle. We run a CAD software at work called Catia and depending on what work you're doing ram memory can be used up almost entirely..

I want to upgrade the ram but is there anything I need to do before or after I move to have extra RAM added? Or can I just slap the RAM sticks into the slots and return to business as normal?

The computers we use have 16GB of DDR3 RAM, but since we're running Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit OS, I know I can bump up the RAM to 192GB

Quick system specs
Processor: Intel core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Graphics card: Nvidia Quadro K2000

im no rocket surgeon, but that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

gtx 1080 $630
6700k $330
ram $60
good psu $100
Kingston 480 ssd $115
Mobo $150
Win10 $100

piece meal is $1500 without a case and all the extras

This thing has some good parts and a bunch of crappy ones. If the dude is thinking of spending more than $1000 on a pc, it should first be reliable. This $1200 PC is running what is likely an extremely budget (read: likely to shit the bed) power supply. It also has a 6700k with a "stock" Intel heatsink. The 6700k doesn't even ship with that heatsink because of how ill-suited it is to that processor.

So at the very least, this person will have to buy and install an aftermarket cooler. That being the only challenging step of building, why not just build the whole thing? He'd be better served by a more balanced build for the same money.

hey guys, noobie question here so please be gentle. We run a CAD software at work called Catia and depending on what work you're doing ram memory can be used up almost entirely..

I want to upgrade the ram but is there anything I need to do before or after I move to have extra RAM added? Or can I just slap the RAM sticks into the slots and return to business as normal?

The computers we use have 16GB of DDR3 RAM, but since we're running Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit OS, I know I can bump up the RAM to 192GB

Quick system specs

Nothing you need to worry, just install the new ones and you are good to go. But if you want to simply expand it, remember to buy the same ones as you currently have to avoid compatibility issues.

Dio

Banned
Okay, so this is what the Samsung sales rep said to me over the phone.

The 1 terabyte 960 Evos are going out right now,

the 500GBs are going out on the 17th,

and the 250s are going on on the 30th of this month.

Why couldn't they be clearer about this shit? Oh well.

So i'm having problem with my PC and not sure what it is...my PC would reboot and get stuck at trying to start up, not even able to boot up my BIOS or anything...the power button would flash and PC trying to start up....but after unplugging my power supply and wait a few min. and it would work but only a few min. and go back to doing the same thing

Jezbollah

So i'm having problem with my PC and not sure what it is...my PC would reboot and get stuck at trying to start up, not even able to boot up my BIOS or anything...the power button would flash and PC trying to start up....but after unplugging my power supply and wait a few min. and it would work but only a few min. and go back to doing the same thing

Are fans spinning and are there any lights on your motherboard when booting? Do your keyboard keys light up at all? (try pressing caps lock).

Have you cleaned the inside of your PC to remove any dust?

Okay, so this is what the Samsung sales rep said to me over the phone.

The 1 terabyte 960 Evos are going out right now,

the 500GBs are going out on the 17th,

and the 250s are going on on the 30th of this month.

Why couldn't they be clearer about this shit? Oh well.

I hope the rep that emailed me just didn't know what he was talking about and gave a standard "this is a popular item so shipping will be slower than expected" answer.

Are fans spinning and are there any lights on your motherboard when booting? Do your keyboard keys light up at all? (try pressing caps lock).

Have you cleaned the inside of your PC to remove any dust?

It lights up and fan spinning, haven't cleaned it in a year ...I'm try cleaning when I get home

qKaC3K

Quick system specs

Well it's one thing how much the OS can handle but it's totally different than what the motherboard can.

Since your i7 4770 is not the K variation my guess would be that your motherboard is either a H87 or H97 chipset one. Those boards usually come with 4 dual channel DDR3 memory slots and can handle 32gb of memory.
Depending on your current memory configuration 16gb can either be two 8gb modules or 4x 4gb ones. If it's the latter than you can't really upgrade the memory without basically getting rid of these 4gb ones. If it's two 8gb ones you're lucky and you can possibly add two more modules to get to 32gb.

What you should do though is look at the brand and frequency of the modules you are currently using and try to get the exact same ones. Or at least modules with the same frequency. (Mhz)

Grexeno

Nice. If you haven't installed a OS, If i'm not mistaken you can download windows 10, install and use it without a serial key. Once you get the OS you can use the key to activate it.

Thanks for this suggestion. Of course, the package arrived while I was at work and now I can't pick it up until tomorrow evening.

However, I had another question. I installed the OS to the HDD. Was I supposed to install it to the SSD? And if I did do it wrong, can I just do a clean install with the USB I'm getting tomorrow?

EDIT: Installed Windows to the SSD and deleted it off of the HDD.

Rommel

Could use some opinions...

I can get a 980ti for $315 (MSI 6G)

Or

I could get an 1070 for $330 (Asus Strix OC)

I'm leaning towards the 1070 since I feel it'll get better driver support.

horkrux

Or

I don't know about driver support, but you should still get the 1070. Same performance, less power draw and more VRAM for almost the same price.

Is Kaby Lake worth waiting for? I want to get started on my built but I'm waiting for Kaby Lake

Or

1070 seems like the easy choice

Urthor

Is Kaby Lake worth waiting for? I want to get started on my built but I'm waiting for Kaby Lake

1070 seems like the easy choice

Kaby is less of a big deal than any Intel update before it, Skylake is perfectly acceptable. Intel's gains are grinding to a halt honestly, AMD isn't even close to chasing and they've just stopped trying.

Kaby is less of a big deal than any Intel update before it, Skylake is perfectly acceptable. Intel's gains are grinding to a halt honestly, AMD isn't even close to chasing and they've just stopped trying.

Was reading up online and Intel themselves are claiming a 12% gain in performance which isn't much. I guess if I find a deal on skylake I'll jump on it. Problem is older Intel chips don't really drop in price. I can use a 4790k Devil's Canyon with my motherboard but that chip is still $300+

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was reading up online and Intel themselves are claiming a 12% gain in performance which isn't much. I guess if I find a deal on skylake I'll jump on it. Problem is older Intel chips don't really drop in price. I can use a 4790k Devil's Canyon with my motherboard but that chip is still $300+

12% would be big if it was real, but for most workloads it isn't. Being 12% faster when the chip is also clocked 12% higher isn't anything to brag about.

Landford

Banned
So theres absolutely no AMD processor worth buying right now? Intels are really costly where I live. If there is no way, what is the best one I can find in a budget? Also, my friend is planning to sell his 2600k, would be worth it to upgrade from a FX 8320?

So theres absolutely no AMD processor worth buying right now? Intels are really costly where I live. If there is no way, what is the best one I can find in a budget? Also, my friend is planning to sell his 2600k, would be worth it to upgrade from a FX 8320?

2600k would be a great cpu if you can get it for a good (cheap) price. Especially if it comes with mobo, ram, cooler...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't buy into such an old platform at this point unless it is extremely cheap. It would be an upgrade, but it's not going to last all that long and it's already well out of date in terms of features.

Saving for a bit longer to afford at least a 6100 or 6500 (or Kaby equivalent down the road) would be your best option.

AMD has nothing worth buying right now. Zen may change that but it is still months off and first chips (Summit Ridge) are going to be high end/server chips and probably not be any cheaper than Intel's offerings.

Landford

Banned
I wouldn't buy into such an old platform at this point unless it is extremely cheap. It would be an upgrade, but it's not going to last all that long and it's already well out of date in terms of features.

Saving for a bit longer to afford at least a 6100 or 6500 (or Kaby equivalent down the road) would be your best option.

AMD has nothing worth buying right now. Zen may change that but it is still months off and first chips (Summit Ridge) are going to be high end/server chips and probably not be any cheaper than Intel's offerings.

Got it. On todays games, theres a significant difference in performance in an I5 to an I7? Wont be using it for more than games and write basic beginners coding. And thanks a lot, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom