• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got it. On todays games, theres a significant difference in performance in an I5 to an I7? Wont be using it for more than games and write basic beginners coding. And thanks a lot, man.

For gaming i5 is fine. Games generally don't take advantage of SMT/Hyperthreading which is the primary difference between i5 and i7. 6600K (soon to be succeeded by the 7600K) is the best option since you can overclock it, but the 6500 is a solid chip for a non-overclocker.

i3 is a step down since it only has two true cores, but they make up for that a little with hyperthreading, higher clock speeds, and lower prices.

DonMigs85

For gaming i5 is fine. Games generally don't take advantage of SMT/Hyperthreading which is the primary difference between i5 and i7. 6600K (soon to be succeeded by the 7600K) is the best option since you can overclock it, but the 6500 is a solid chip for a non-overclocker.

i3 is a step down since it only has two true cores, but they make up for that a little with hyperthreading, higher clock speeds, and lower prices.

An i7 is useful only if you want to eke out extra FPS for 144Hz or faster displays, assuming the game in question can actually use the extra threads. Sometimes the 2MB extra L3 cache can also make a difference.
I'm quite excited for AMD Zen as well because the 8-core/16 thread chip is rumored to cost just $300

z3phon

I've got the Asus Z170 Deluxe and default CPU core voltage setting was set to auto and checking CPU-Z with Auto it went up as high as 1.39 or even 1.4.
Now I've set the CPU core voltage to 1.21 manual. Is it ok if I leave the setting to manual or do I need to change it to adaptive?
My concern is if there's any harm or effect on the processors life having it run constantly at 1.21. With auto and im guessing adaptive it reduces that value when the CPUs not being used.

If I do set it to adaptive, should i set the voltage to 1.21 again and another thing that i'm confused about is the offset value, do I need to adjust that at all or leave it on auto.

panty

Help needed.

I need a new htpc gpu. I got a new 4K tv and I want to run my desktop 4K@60fps over HDMI. What's the cheapest HDMI 2.0 gpu available? Not meant for gaming.

LordAlu

Help needed.

I need a new htpc gpu. I got a new 4K tv and I want to run my desktop 4K@60fps over HDMI. What's the cheapest HDMI 2.0 gpu available? Not meant for gaming.
I don't think any of the NVIDIA GT series have HDMI 2.0 support(?), so you're probably looking at the RX 460.

Do PC parts usually get discounted for Black Friday?

I need to pick up a new PSU (a must) and I may be in the market for a new CPU/motherboard.

Am I better off waiting until next weekend or do these things generally not get sales?

microdot

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($93.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($314.90 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card ($639.00 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1935.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 11:04 EST-0500

Thinking about selling my iMac and building a PC. I can get it down to around $1700 with black friday sales. I need this PC to last 3+ years and if anyone could get it cheaper thank you haha.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1935.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 11:04 EST-0500

Thinking about selling my iMac and building a PC. I can get it down to around $1700 with black friday sales. I need this PC to last 3+ years and if anyone could get it cheaper thank you haha.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1871.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 11:35 EST-0500

Changed the cooler, storage drive, and case for $109 cheaper. Buying Windows from a reseller will save another $70.

The air cooler will run just as cool, be quieter, and not require a usb header to run. The storage drive is more suited to storage and quieter. The case is the newer version of the one you had chosen. You'd also probably be better off getting a 512GB ssd main drive and a 2TB mechanical storage drive.

microdot

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1871.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-15 11:35 EST-0500

Changed the cooler, storage drive, and case for $109 cheaper. Buying Windows from a reseller will save another $70.

The air cooler will run just as cool, be quieter, and not require a usb header to run. The storage drive is more suited to storage and quieter. The case is the newer version of the one you had chosen. You'd also probably be better off getting a 512GB ssd main drive and a 2TB mechanical storage drive.

I'm only considering the 1TB Samsung SSD because it's $250 on black friday. Would that be worth it?

Another round of questions:

What are the advantages of Display Ports over HDMI? Last time I built a PC it didn't exist.

Windows 10 Keys from resellers: where do people recommend? Ebay? Elsewhere? Generally reliable? I'd like pro so I can defer updates, but the premium is a little excessive.

Do EVGA only run upgrade programs when the next generation of GPUs is confirmed (I read about a 90 day cut off window, with a deadline to register)?

What would people recommend in terms of a quiet 1060 6GB GPU? Presumably the dual fan design is far superior to the reference design, but does anyone have any personal favourites?

Question for Gsync owners.

Occasionally while playing a game I've noticed it not be super smooth. Usually a restart of the game fixes this. Most recently it happened to star craft last night. What gives?

KiKaL

As someone who is hesitant to spend $60 on AAA games and probably not upgrading for 2+ years. Is it worth getting a GTX 1070 over a 1060? I will not be running games at 4k since my monitor is a Benq XL2411z but getting a high framerate is nice due to the high refresh rate. I assume yes, but then again I know sometimes the additional cost doesn't necessarily scale on performance.

I am currently looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875&ignorebbr=1 since it seems to be on sale but I really have no clue on choosing between cards of the same chipset.

Ideally trying to spend no more than around the $375 range but even less would be better since I am trying to also update mobo/cpu/ram for a total of around ~$700-800.

Ashhong

I'm so sad my new EVGA 650w power supply still produces coil whine out of the Sapphire R9 Fury, but less than my Corsair RM650. WHY?! Shouldn't 650w be more than enough? When I pair it with a 1000w PSU there is no whine. Maybe it's also due to my motherboard?

Related, anybody want to buy a Corsair RM650? Didn't feel like uninstalling the EVGA so I just decided to keep it. Never had any issues with it before now. Runs silent. I looked inside and the thing doesn't even have a speck of dust. I don't think the fan has ever had to even turn on lol.

I'm so sad my new EVGA 650w power supply still produces coil whine out of the Sapphire R9 Fury, but less than my Corsair RM650. WHY?! Shouldn't 650w be more than enough? When I pair it with a 1000w PSU there is no whine. Maybe it's also due to my motherboard?

Related, anybody want to buy a Corsair RM650? Didn't feel like uninstalling the EVGA so I just decided to keep it. Never had any issues with it before now. Runs silent. I looked inside and the thing doesn't even have a speck of dust. I don't think the fan has ever had to even turn on lol.

Coil whine is a bit of a nebulous thing, if I'm not mistaken. I think the video card is mostly to blame, but I think it's possible that certain combinations of components (e.g., mobo, PSU) can accentuate the issue.

My old GTX 970 had coil whine issues. With the same system, my 1070 has no coil whine. Just luck of the draw I think.

If you're not doing it already, set a global framerate cap (with rivatuner statistics server) equal to your refresh rate to prevent your GPU from spitting out stupid high framerates during loading screens, etc. That is when coil whine will be particularly bad.

Ashhong

Coil whine is a bit of a nebulous thing, if I'm not mistaken. I think the video card is mostly to blame, but I think it's possible that certain combinations of components (e.g., mobo, PSU) can accentuate the issue.

My old GTX 970 had coil whine issues. With the same system, my 1070 has no coil whine. Just luck of the draw I think.

If you're not doing it already, set a global framerate cap (with rivatuner statistics server) equal to your refresh rate to prevent your GPU from spitting out stupid high framerates during loading screens, etc. That is when coil whine will be particularly bad.

oooooh a global framerate cap, that's smart. I set vsync on and a max to 60 in games, but like you said, it is really bad in loading screens. There's definitely less whine with the new EVGA supply and also no whine with the 1000w supply, so it just confuses me since my damn system shouldn't take more than 450. Oh well, I'll get used to it I guess.

I have a pretty cheap mobo, Asus Z87-A I believe, so I want to blame that. Maybe it's just not supplying enough power to my gpu through the PCI slot, even though the card uses 2 8pins

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do PC parts usually get discounted for Black Friday?

I need to pick up a new PSU (a must) and I may be in the market for a new CPU/motherboard.

Am I better off waiting until next weekend or do these things generally not get sales?

Newegg, Amazon, and the like have components in their Black Friday sales. Microcenter would probably be the best bet for a CPU + motherboard but likely in store only.

Finaika

Question for Gsync owners.

Occasionally while playing a game I've noticed it not be super smooth. Usually a restart of the game fixes this. Most recently it happened to star craft last night. What gives?

I'm experiencing this too, Nvidia's latest drivers is kinda wonky.

I'm experiencing this too, Nvidia's latest drivers is kinda wonky.

What driver are you on? I just got a notification for an even newer one, 375.87 or something like that I think.

I've had off/on issues on the desktop with most of Nvidia's recent drivers. Really annoying.

The current issue is that some gif/webm's go partly black when I start to play them the first time.

What driver are you on? I just got a notification for an even newer one, 375.87 or something like that I think.

I've had off/on issues on the desktop with most of Nvidia's recent drivers. Really annoying.

The current issue is that some gif/webm's go partly black when I start to play them the first time.

I had that issue but I think a chrome update fixed it.

Finaika

EDIT: Oh there's a newer 375.87, just popped up on my GeForce Experience. Will check it out.

BadWolf

Hi guys, my current PC seems to be crapping out on me so...

Your Current Specs: Core i5-3470/3.2GHz, 10GB RAM, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GT620/2GB, DVDRW, Windows 8
Budget: $1500-$2000 (Canadian)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation, Photoshop, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080p Asus monitor
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'm usually not to anal about FPS/resolution as long as the game is playable.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Probably not
When will you build?: Soon probably, not in a major hurry
Will you be overclocking?: Don't know, never done anything like this

Saw this build on pcpartpicker: http://www.ncix.com/detail/pc-part-picker-bundle-september-23-135529.htm

Is that a good deal or overkill for my purposes? I'm really not very knowledgeable about PCs and don't trust myself to build one, would probably have NCIX or whoever put the components together.

More notes:

- I'm more of a console gamer and the games I do play on PC are usually either console ports or emulation of console games
- Not very picky with resolution or FPS

Above I mention the $1500-$2000 range but ideally I'd like to keep the costs low if possible. My current PC I'm using more for photoshop, movies, browsing etc. than gaming but I don't know if that's just because the current PC is kind of weak lol.

Ashhong

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to use the same modular power cables between an EVGA 650w GS and an EVGA 650w G2? The pins on the PSU are shaped a certain way so that only specific cables can fit. So should I be ok as long as they fit?

KiDdYoNe

With the release of PS4 Pro, borrowing OG PS4 from a friend and recent local price jump for PS4 games, I think it's time to build a PC.
Build is a good word, but it's just too big for a 11 years console player. Need to read a lot, I guess.

Anyway, since I live in Russia and have ability to buy from online US shops, can you please recommend online shops where I can save a few bucks during Black Friday?
Mainly interested in 1060/1070 card and maybe CPU, tho have no idea which one should I get.

PC will be used for gaming mostly with the 1080p TV.

Ashhong

With the release of PS4 Pro, borrowing OG PS4 from a friend and recent local price jump for PS4 games, I think it's time to build a PC.
Build is a good word, but it's just too big for a 11 years console player. Need to read a lot, I guess.

Anyway, since I live in Russia and have ability to buy from online US shops, can you please recommend online shops where I can save a few bucks during Black Friday?
Mainly interested in 1060/1070 card and maybe CPU, tho have no idea which one should I get.

PC will be used for gaming mostly with the 1080p TV.

Newegg and NCIX should have good deals

www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

I think a 1070 is overkill for 1080p gaming, although that depends on how long you plan on using it for I suppose

ecosse_011172

4 years ago I assembled the following PC:

Case Lian-Li PC-C60B
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-M PRO
PSU Seasonic X-750
CPU Intel 3570k
GPU Asus GTX670-DC2
RAM 8GB Corsair Vengeance - DDR3 1600 MHz
CPU Cooler Noctua NHC-C14
HDD 2x 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD

The CPU fan started making noise so I replaced it with a Noctua NF-A15 PWM (140mm)
I also upgraded to an MSI Gaming 970 GPU 2 years ago.

My 3570K seems to be starting to be a bit of a bottleneck and I’d like to upgrade my GPU and benefit from DDR4.

I game on a 65” 1080P Plasma TV and the PC is only for gaming and occasional media watching.

I can reuse the case, PSU and CPU Cooler, the GPU will be an MSI Gaming 1070, CPU an Intel 6600K but I need advice on the motherboard and RAM.

I’d go for Corsair Vengeance Low Profile memory again, the guide in the OP suggest 3000MHz but it’s available in 3200MHz or more, is it worth it?

The motherboard ideally will be mATX and good quality, what’s essential is that I can have the case fan speeds automatically regulated using Bios or Speedfan.

Any other suggestions or improvements would be welcome.

Pachinko

I managed to snag an Acer 32XBRHK (4K with gsync , 60 hz) for 1200 canadian from amazon by buying via the deals warehouse and oh my goodness this monitor you guys.

I was surprised my little 1070 can even run witcher 3 at 4K on this thing , it's not maxed out anymore but wowee. If you can find one of these cheap and have the room for it , it is super worth it.

I'm not sure what was supposed to be wrong with it that it got placed in the warehouse deals section (an alleged 1/4X1/4 inch defect on the front but there's nothing wrong with it) but man, got a fantastic new screen and I got it for 500$ less than it's average asking price.

LilJoka

oooooh a global framerate cap, that's smart. I set vsync on and a max to 60 in games, but like you said, it is really bad in loading screens. There's definitely less whine with the new EVGA supply and also no whine with the 1000w supply, so it just confuses me since my damn system shouldn't take more than 450. Oh well, I'll get used to it I guess.

I have a pretty cheap mobo, Asus Z87-A I believe, so I want to blame that. Maybe it's just not supplying enough power to my gpu through the PCI slot, even though the card uses 2 8pins

Coil whine has nothing to do with wattage.
It's the magnetic fields within the inductors which cause vibrations. That vibration is somewhat linked to fps. Some PSU/GPU combinations can end up worse. The coils are glued to try prevent these vibrations, variance here can cause issues from the GPU too.

LilJoka

4 years ago I assembled the following PC:

Case Lian-Li PC-C60B
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-M PRO
PSU Seasonic X-750
CPU Intel 3570k
GPU Asus GTX670-DC2
RAM 8GB Corsair Vengeance - DDR3 1600 MHz
CPU Cooler Noctua NHC-C14
HDD 2x 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD

The CPU fan started making noise so I replaced it with a Noctua NF-A15 PWM (140mm)
I also upgraded to an MSI Gaming 970 GPU 2 years ago.

My 3570K seems to be starting to be a bit of a bottleneck and I’d like to upgrade my GPU and benefit from DDR4.

I game on a 65” 1080P Plasma TV and the PC is only for gaming and occasional media watching.

I can reuse the case, PSU and CPU Cooler, the GPU will be an MSI Gaming 1070, CPU an Intel 6600K but I need advice on the motherboard and RAM.

I’d go for Corsair Vengeance Low Profile memory again, the guide in the OP suggest 3000MHz but it’s available in 3200MHz or more, is it worth it?

The motherboard ideally will be mATX and good quality, what’s essential is that I can have the case fan speeds automatically regulated using Bios or Speedfan.

Any other suggestions or improvements would be welcome.

Get a 3770k and overclock it. Call it a day for 2/3more years.
My 6700k at 4.4ghz is doing no better than my 3770k at 4.3ghz.

Hi PC Gaf,

I'm wanting to get a new PC that can achieve a good stable frame rate at 1440p for most new games.

I'm leaning towards getting a GTX 1070 and an i5 6600k; both the 1080s and i7's seem to be a big jump in price for only a minor improvement in performance, but I'm happy to hear the case that its worth the extra money for either.

I don't really feel competent enough to build my own PC, and the best site I've found so far is cclonline.com - components and overall price are posted below. Does it sound like a reasonable price, or can I save hundreds of pounds by building my own (in which case this becomes a lot more attractive)?

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz Quad Core
Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 CPU Liquid Cooler Kit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4 (Is there much of an advantage for the 3000MHz RAM vs say 2400MHz??)
Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Storage 2: Seagate Desktop 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Black Gaming
Power Supply: Cooler Master G650M 650W Modular PSU 80+ Bronze (will this be enough power??)

I've also got two extra fans and a wifi card the total is £1260. Windows is an extra £90, but I've heard I can save lots of money by buying windows 10 online and installing it myself - any videos which show how to do this? I imagine I will need to burn into onto a DVD or something??

Recommendations for 1440p monitors also very welcome.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Can't believe the 6700K is still the same price as last year. 😂

Well, it may have even been a bit more expensive because of the shortages.

PtKid

Banned
Hopefully you guys will be able to help me.

I've got a friend that wants a new PC mainly for Overwatch and he wants to play it in High settings at least.

Are you able to help me with a build? His budget is as cheap as possible tbh.

He doesn't any peripherals or monitor

Thanks in advance

BadWolf

Whelp, came home and my PC is dead. Luckily I was able to backup most of my stuff yesterday while it was on its last legs.

Any suggestions as per my post above would be much appreciated, I'm open to a good pre built PC as well.

aasoncott

I'm debating whether or not it's worth upgrading my GPU, or if I'm officially at the point where that's a waste of money and I should be saving up to start a whole new build.

CPU: i5-750 2.66 GHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 660
RAM: 12 GB PC3-10666
MB: Gigabyte P55A-UD3P

I was thinking of swapping out the GTX 660 for a 3 or 6gb 1060.

The problem is, the i5-750 is an old CPU, and probably starting to be a big bottleneck. I can't just upgrade the CPU, though, since the motherboard is LGA 1156, which means a new motherboard, which means new RAM, which means...I'm looking at a totally new build, which I can't afford at the moment.

I just finished Mirror's Edge Catalyst on my PC, and it still ran decently on medium/low settings, but audio would fall out of sync during cutscenes, which could be a symptom of a CPU bottleneck (since presumably it's loading stuff in the background). But since the GPU is really struggling, I can't be sure of that.

So, would a 1060 be a waste of money, given the CPU? Or would it be a worthwhile upgrade right now, while I save up for a new build down the line (which I'd carry the card into)?

Ashhong

Coil whine has nothing to do with wattage.
It's the magnetic fields within the inductors which cause vibrations. That vibration is somewhat linked to fps. Some PSU/GPU combinations can end up worse. The coils are glued to try prevent these vibrations, variance here can cause issues from the GPU too.

So you're saying if I used some kind of benchmark and raised my GPU to the max core, I shouldn't hear the whine? I haven't tried that, and only gone by the fact that it has a whine when over 900mhz core clock. My friend however did take my GPU and test it on his system and found no whine. However he used a benchmark instead of a game I believe. Just frustrating and I thought it had to do with the power going to the GPU since he has a 1000w and it worked fine

Garou

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me.

I've got a friend that wants a new PC mainly for Overwatch and he wants to play it in High settings at least.

Are you able to help me with a build? His budget is as cheap as possible tbh.

He doesn't any peripherals or monitor

Thanks in advance

Overwatch isn't demanding at all, so the "Good - Very capable"-build in the OP would be ideal.

Can't believe the 6700K is still the same price as last year. 😂

Well, it may have even been a bit more expensive because of the shortages.

Honestly that's just how Intel prices roll. It's more AMDs fault for not releasing anything that challenges Intel. They never really slash prices, they release new chips. That's why I don't believe the talk that Kaby Lake will be more expensive than skylake is now. I7 k chips have always been around 340, i5 k 240.

I'm debating whether or not it's worth upgrading my GPU, or if I'm officially at the point where that's a waste of money and I should be saving up to start a whole new build.

CPU: i5-750 2.66 GHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 660
RAM: 12 GB PC3-10666
MB: Gigabyte P55A-UD3P

I was thinking of swapping out the GTX 660 for a 3 or 6gb 1060.

The problem is, the i5-750 is an old CPU, and probably starting to be a big bottleneck. I can't just upgrade the CPU, though, since the motherboard is LGA 1156, which means a new motherboard, which means new RAM, which means...I'm looking at a totally new build, which I can't afford at the moment.

I just finished Mirror's Edge Catalyst on my PC, and it still ran decently on medium/low settings, but audio would fall out of sync during cutscenes, which could be a symptom of a CPU bottleneck (since presumably it's loading stuff in the background). But since the GPU is really struggling, I can't be sure of that.

So, would a 1060 be a waste of money, given the CPU? Or would it be a worthwhile upgrade right now, while I save up for a new build down the line (which I'd carry the card into)?

Pretty sure a GPU upgrade will net you more fps than a CPU right now, but personally I'd do the CPU first and then upgrade to next Nvidia or AMD refresh down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom