• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

microdot

First time PC builder. I'm planning to add more fans (total of 4) to a Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case. Right now I'm looking at the Corsair af140's. Do each of them include a power cable? And I just plug them into the MOBO right?

Bloodember

For the GTX 1060 6GB Mini, can you use a PSU's 6+2 PCI-e for the card's required 6-pin connection by leaving out the 2 part? Might be a stupid question, but I don't know.

PSU I'm going with.

yes

First time PC builder. I'm planning to add more fans (total of 4) to a Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case. Right now I'm looking at the Corsair af140's. Do each of them include a power cable? And I just plug them into the MOBO right?
Yes, they have a power cable. Why wouldn't they? Yes you can plug them into the mobo if you have fan headers for them.

LilJoka

Honestly that's just how Intel prices roll. It's more AMDs fault for not releasing anything that challenges Intel. They never really slash prices, they release new chips. That's why I don't believe the talk that Kaby Lake will be more expensive than skylake is now. I7 k chips have always been around 340, i5 k 240.

Yeah, hence my suggestion for a previous poster to wait for kabylake if a CPU upgrade is not needed right this moment. In 5-6 months the new platform will be the same price.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a D-Link router purchased maybe two years ago that bizarrely degrades in performance at random intervals. I'll notice, using speed tests and in-game pings, my connection speed drop to about half, then a third. Slowly but surely. On/off, factory resets, etc do not fix the problem. I actually have to unplug it, use my other much older and shittier router (which gets better speeds for some reason), let it sit for an hour, and then it'll go back to normal.

Just curious if anybody knows why this is? Heating fault? Performance degradation is weird.

I need help pc gaf.
Whats the minimum i should expect to spend if i want a build with everything. everything meaning:

PC itself
Mouse
Keyboard
Monitor
OS

To mainly run Overwatch at 60fps?

Im kinda floundering in uncharted waters here and need to sort funds out.

UK btw
any help appreciated.

LordAlu

I need help pc gaf.
Whats the minimum i should expect to spend if i want a build with everything. everything meaning:

PC itself
Mouse
Keyboard
Monitor
OS

UK btw
any help appreciated.
You're looking at about £500-£750 for the PC itself, then £25 for Windows from Reddit (or £90 from an actual store), then whatever on peripherals (these are more a personal thing). Let's assume £120 on monitor, £50 on keyboard/mouse and £50 on headset, all told you're looking at anywhere between £750 and £1100?

Quick question re: upgrading the motherboard and cpu - is it as simple as swapping out old for new, or is there more I'll need to do before or after?

I need help pc gaf.

PC itself
Mouse
Keyboard
Monitor
OS

UK btw
any help appreciated.

You're looking at about £500-£750 for the PC itself, then £25 for Windows from Reddit (or £90 from an actual store), then whatever on peripherals (these are more a personal thing). Let's assume £120 on monitor, £50 on keyboard/mouse and £50 on headset, all told you're looking at anywhere between £750 and £1100?

Pretty much. I mean, for something like Overwatch you could afford not to have real high end stuff. An i3-6100 should do alright processor wise, while anything more substantial than a GTX 750 Ti should let you play at higher settings while hovering around 60 FPS - I'd recommend at least a GTX 760 or equivalent, having skimmed some videos for performance references. If you want to buy your hardware new, then I'd recommend a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti

So at the very least:
i3 6100 - about £110
GTX 1050/1050 Ti - from £120-£160 (depending on model)

Putting you somewhere around the range of £250 spent on those parts alone. Now, you can get more powerful - especially on the graphics card - secondhand, but that means risking going without warranty.

The question then that covers motherboard and RAM, is whether or not you're willing to pay for DDR4. DDR4 is a newer, faster memory type, but often more expensive. For most games DDR3 will still do just fine, but it does basically guarantee having to replace the motherboard as well if you ever want to upgrade the RAM, and vice versa.

An LGA 1151 (that's the socket type on the i3) motherboard can be as low as £50, up to about £150, depending on what you get. Worth looking out for 'form factor' here, aka the size and configuration of the board - ATX, Micro ATX, or ITX. ATX allows you to have four sticks of RAM, but is the largest and will require a larger case. Micro ATX tends to be cheaper, but has less room for RAM and other add-ons. ITX is the smallest, allowing the most compact cases, but if put in one would require a GPU at an appropriate (smaller) size.

RAM is one of those things where you can often get it cheaper than the nominal price, also dependent on what speed you're after. If you grab a 2x8 GB set (aka, enough to play most games comfortably), expect to be in the range of £60-£115.

So, minimum total at this stage is around £360.

Case wise you can get as low as £20, up to several hundred - lets peg £75 as a good limit.

For PSU I would suggest a 'safe' spending of around £45 or more, because while cheaper exists you really shouldn't cheap out on the power supply.

For a decent air cooler (something of the Cooler Master Hyper line, probably), £20-£30.

So, £445-ish on the PC, if you're pretty minimalist about that, feel to indulge a little though.

For the rest of it, I'd recommend scouring Amazon deals. Stuff that should normally be in the £50 range mouse and keyboard wise can get slashed pretty heavily. Monitors less so, headphones I'm not so sure on, but continuing to be minimalist, you can probably get it done for a little over £600.

I'm currently putting a build together for another friend.. budget of £1000. Ideally with some peripherals included. This is where I've landed currently, bit over budget. Is there anything I should change? Anything I could save on?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/L3qGxY

There a specific reason for the MSI pick with the graphics card? There are other 6GB models for cheaper, as can be seen here.

Also Amazon doesn't have that motherboard in stock at the moment, if you'd want that sooner rather than later.

Regarding your friend: Do you expect them to do any overclocking? If not, you can probably get by with an i5-6500, which will save a bit more.

BraXzy

There a specific reason for the MSI pick with the graphics card? There are other 6GB models for cheaper, as can be seen https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb.

Also Amazon doesn't have that motherboard in stock at the moment, if you'd want that sooner rather than later.

Regarding your friend: Do you expect them to do any overclocking? If not, you can probably get by with an i5-6500, which will save a bit more.

I've just personally had MSI cards in the past so went with what I know. Btw your URL is switched hehe :)

Is there a recommended GTX 1060?

I doubt they'd overclock so that's a good shout. The base clock is lower though right?

I've just personally had MSI cards in the past so went with what I know. Btw your URL is switched hehe :)

I doubt they'd overclock so that's a good shout. The base clock is lower though right?

Sorry about that.

On the GPU, a few weeks ago I would have suggested the EVGA, but there's apparently some overheating issues in some units.

And yeah an i5-6500 has a lower base clock, but if your friend is aiming for 60 FPS, it will handle most games fine. It'd be CPU intensive stuff like GTA V where it would struggle, and even then still within acceptable margins I'd say. Plus, the LGA 1151 socket type wouldn't rule out an incremental upgrade if need be.

BadWolf

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/CYBERPOWER/

Would this be a good purchase for $949.99 CDN?

I'd like something that won't die on me for at least 4 or 5 years.

Main uses will be: Browsing, movies, photoshop and some gaming (console ports and emulation mostly).

Any help would be very appreciated :)

EDIT: Did some reading around and it seems this company's PCs are very hit or miss when it comes to reliability.

Pretty much. I mean, for something like Overwatch you could afford not to have real high end stuff. An i3-6100 should do alright processor wise, while anything more substantial than a GTX 750 Ti should let you play at higher settings while hovering around 60 FPS - I'd recommend at least a GTX 760 or equivalent, having skimmed some videos for performance references. If you want to buy your hardware new, then I'd recommend a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti

So at the very least:
i3 6100 - about £110
GTX 1050/1050 Ti - from £120-£160 (depending on model)

Putting you somewhere around the range of £250 spent on those parts alone. Now, you can get more powerful - especially on the graphics card - secondhand, but that means risking going without warranty.

The question then that covers motherboard and RAM, is whether or not you're willing to pay for DDR4. DDR4 is a newer, faster memory type, but often more expensive. For most games DDR3 will still do just fine, but it does basically guarantee having to replace the motherboard as well if you ever want to upgrade the RAM, and vice versa.

An LGA 1151 (that's the socket type on the i3) motherboard can be as low as £50, up to about £150, depending on what you get. Worth looking out for 'form factor' here, aka the size and configuration of the board - ATX, Micro ATX, or ITX. ATX allows you to have four sticks of RAM, but is the largest and will require a larger case. Micro ATX tends to be cheaper, but has less room for RAM and other add-ons. ITX is the smallest, allowing the most compact cases, but if put in one would require a GPU at an appropriate (smaller) size.

RAM is one of those things where you can often get it cheaper than the nominal price, also dependent on what speed you're after. If you grab a 2x8 GB set (aka, enough to play most games comfortably), expect to be in the range of £60-£115.

So, minimum total at this stage is around £360.

Case wise you can get as low as £20, up to several hundred - lets peg £75 as a good limit.

For PSU I would suggest a 'safe' spending of around £45 or more, because while cheaper exists you really shouldn't cheap out on the power supply.

For a decent air cooler (something of the Cooler Master Hyper line, probably), £20-£30.

So, £445-ish on the PC, if you're pretty minimalist about that, feel to indulge a little though.

For the rest of it, I'd recommend scouring Amazon deals. Stuff that should normally be in the £50 range mouse and keyboard wise can get slashed pretty heavily. Monitors less so, headphones I'm not so sure on, but continuing to be minimalist, you can probably get it done for a little over £600.

I really appreciate the help thanks!

andycapps

The Gigabyte 1060 6 GB that you can overclock is what I got. Great card.

I'm trying to decide whether to just stick with home or go with pro? How do you guys feel about windows 10 pro? Is it worth it?

Also where is the best place to buy windows? I've always bought retail copies but saw that there are some sites selling for $45-50, that can't be legit right?

Sanjay

I sold my gtx 980ti for £350 and now I'm using a old gtx 460. This thing can't even run dota 2 at good settings. I waiting for the gtx 1080ti. But I need a gpu now to game on my PC, what should I do? What's a cheap strong gpu to get until the gtx 1080ti releases and a card where the price would not decrease that much. I just want to max settings at 1440p with dota, csgo and maybe Bf1 at medium settings.
Any advice?

I'm fine with buying 2nd hand gpu off ebay etc.

kuYuri

I sold my gtx 980ti for £350 and now I'm using a old gtx 460. This thing can't even run dota 2 at good settings. I waiting for the gtx 1080ti. But I need a gpu now to game on my PC, what should I do? What's a cheap strong gpu to get until the gtx 1080ti releases and a card where the price would not decrease that much. I just want to max settings at 1440p with dota, csgo and maybe Bf1 at medium settings.
Any advice?

I'm fine with buying 2nd hand gpu off ebay etc.

1050Ti/RX 470 4GB or anything you can find second hand that's a 2GB card.

I'm trying to decide whether to just stick with home or go with pro? How do you guys feel about windows 10 pro? Is it worth it?

Also where is the best place to buy windows? I've always bought retail copies but saw that there are some sites selling for $45-50, that can't be legit right?

Pro lets you choose whether or not to install updates.

Kinguin has Windows 10 Pro keys for $30.

Orlov

Is it normal for Strix cards to turn off and start fans even if fan speed is set manualy in Afterburner to a fixed value?

https://youtu.be/TkTx6FuFekA?t=26

I heard fan spinning up and down while playing non demanding games (first Dishonored, etc.), and today I tested it with fixed fan speed (5, 10 and 15%) and fans (mostly the middle one) stop and spin up.

This is not happening when I play demanding games or set fans to 40%.

Is this OK?

Your Current Specs: Nothing right now
Budget: <$1000 + United States
Main Use: Gaming, Testing Alpha/Beta Builds of games, Work lol.

Monitor Resolution: 1080P , already have two monitors but current work computer can;t handle dual monitors.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Anything really current 60 fps preferred (Does not have to be the highest of graphic settings)

Looking to reuse any parts?: VGA EVGA GTX 670 (might be abit outdated but i can use it if required.
When will you build?: Black Friday's almost here so i want to take advantage of sales.
Will you be overclocking?: No.. still too inexperienced.

Your Current Specs: Nothing right now
Budget: <$1000 + United States
Main Use: Gaming, Testing Alpha/Beta Builds of games, Work lol.

Monitor Resolution: 1080P , already have two monitors but current work computer can;t handle dual monitors.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Anything really current 60 fps preferred

Looking to reuse any parts?: VGA EVGA GTX 670 (might be abit outdated but i can use it if required.
When will you build?: Black Friday's almost here so i want to take advantage of sales.
Will you be overclocking?: No.. still too inexperienced.

60 FPS with a 670 would require medium-to-lower settings with big releases, I think. If you're alright with that, then you can still use it.

What's a good portable HDD for backing up data? In addition to backing up some PC stuff, I mainly want to back up my PS4 HDD for an eventual upgrade. 1TB is what I'm looking at, are there any hybrid or SSD options available?

RangerBAD

I'm not building a gaming PC, but I need a new monitor. My PC isn't built for gaming, so I need a 1080p monitor with a good picture. I have a pretty broad budget. I could maybe spend 450 at the highest.

Pepiope

Having an issue with my GTX 1080. It's performing than my 970 is all games. Any idea what the issue could be?

Temps are at 41-45 c max.

Drivers updated as soon as I turned the system on

Everything else seems to be functioning fine, but as soon as I go into a game, the performance is just bad and GPU usage is at 99%.

Having an issue with my GTX 1080. It's performing than my 970 is all games. Any idea what the issue could be?

Wipe/reinstall drivers, install msi afterburner and check what the gpu clocks/temps are doing while you play. Also cpu temps.

probably a driver thing, though.

Pepiope

Wipe/reinstall drivers, install msi afterburner and check what the gpu clocks/temps are doing while you play. Also cpu temps.

probably a driver thing, though.
Updated the post. Uninstalled and reinstall driver.

No idea what's going on.

Edit: issue was Nvidia's most recent driver. I downloaded an older driver and it's working fine. Thanks for your help Optical.

th3dude

Anyone here use the Dell S2716DG? 27" 1440p 144hz Gsync.

Should I nab one at $499?

Am I wasting my money with a GTX 970?

Or would I be better off with a 1440p IPS but perhaps without 144 or Gsync? Ah!

Sykotik

Anyone here use the Dell S2716DG? 27" 1440p 144hz Gsync.

Should I nab one at $499?

Am I wasting my money with a GTX 970?

Or would I be better off with a 1440p IPS but perhaps without 144 or Gsync? Ah!

I'm assuming this is USD? I think they go on sale somewhat often, and I paid $450 for mine. I've seen people mention getting them in the $300 range from Dell's warehouse deals, too.

Personally, I'm very happy with mine and I don't think I can go back to non-gsync/144hz. A 970 should be fine. Remember, it has gsync, so you don't have to get 144hz all the time to still benefit from this monitor.

You need to download/install a custom color profile though, to fix the jacked up gamma.

th3dude

I'm assuming this is USD? I think they go on sale somewhat often, and I paid $450 for mine. I've seen people mention getting them in the $300 range from Dell's warehouse deals, too.

Personally, I'm very happy with mine and I don't think I can go back to non-gsync/144hz. A 970 should be fine. Remember, it has gsync, so you don't have to get 144hz all the time to still benefit from this monitor.

You need to download/install a custom color profile though, to fix the jacked up gamma.

I really appreciate your answer. The bolded part is what I'm most concerned about. I think I need to read up more on how Gsync works, but your comment makes me very excited!

I'm thinking I'll hold off for now and wait for a deal. They were on Jet.com today for $450 and I missed it so I started looking at Dell.com.

Edit: Price just dropped to $475.... hmmm...

Schryver

So I think I had this issue before but now I can't fix it. I'm trying to play Skyrim SE on my TV but I noticed the framerate was horrible. It must have something to do with my receiver because it works fine going from my PC directly to my monitor but when going through the receiver the Skyrim setting detector says that it cannot detect my video card and sets the graphics to low.
I currently have the PC to receiver via HDMI and then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. Even when I try setting that HDMI input to passthrough it doesn't work correctly. Any ideas?

enewtabie

I really appreciate your answer. The bolded part is what I'm most concerned about. I think I need to read up more on how Gsync works, but your comment makes me very excited!

I'm thinking I'll hold off for now and wait for a deal. They were on Jet.com today for $450 and I missed it so I started looking at Dell.com.

Edit: Price just dropped to $475.... hmmm...

Great monitor. I love mine. I paid 519 with tax for mine two months ago. No issues and it's really hard looking at 60hz afterwards.

LilJoka

So I think I had this issue before but now I can't fix it. I'm trying to play Skyrim SE on my TV but I noticed the framerate was horrible. It must have something to do with my receiver because it works fine going from my PC directly to my monitor but when going through the receiver the Skyrim setting detector says that it cannot detect my video card and sets the graphics to low.
I currently have the PC to receiver via HDMI and then HDMI out from the receiver to the TV. Even when I try setting that HDMI input to passthrough it doesn't work correctly. Any ideas?

The reciever is down the chain from the GPU, it shouldn't matter. Something is up with the game.

Okay GAF now that ive figured things out i hope you'll find me the right parts :)

Questionnaire:

Your Current Specs: i have nothing. Need everything

PC itself
Monitor
Mouse
Keyboard
OS

Budget: £900 is the limit UK

Main Use: 4. mostly playing Overwatch but maybe some other AAA games and some light emulation. Some work stuff mostly word

Monitor Resolution: 1080p i guess

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

60fps mostly for Overwatch. Dont know what the rest are >.>

Looking to reuse any parts?: nope

When will you build?: maybe by the end of November

Will you be overclocking?:Maybe

Extra request:
Prefer reliable and well known stores/businesses to order from

One of those mechanical light up rgb keyboards would be nice if possible

Would be nice if the monitor doesnt have a large bezel but honestly not a big issue.
I know i cant bee too fussy with my budget.

~
im trusting you guys my brother was saying to just order a pre built one @_@
Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom