• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon the dumb question, but I'm planning on building a new PC and this is my first time getting an SSD.

Is the idea to get an SSD for your OS / system, and then get an HDD for everything else? Both internal? Mix of both?

I'd wager that PCIE or NVME M.2 drives are a better choice for OS drives than SSD's currently. IMO. The only problem is price and if your motherboard has an M.2 slot. The pros being, that M.2 is smaller than an SSD or SSHD 2.5inch laptop drive, and will take up less space in your case.

Here's a short review of a nice, affordable M.2 drive, the Intel 600p. The Intel 600p is kinda like the first affordable yet well performing, middle-ground for those wanting to take advantage of M.2 without breaking the bank. Basically it kind of sits in performance above SSDs but below the Highest performing MLC M.2 drives.

Bloodember

Thanks, maybe I'll wait a few days. I'm in Sweden though and there's little indication from the online stores that they're coming soon. The Swedish reviewers seem to have gotten them at the same time as the US though, so who knows.

The jump from Skylake seems to be very small so it might not be worth the wait for me.
If you already have a Skylake processor there is no need to upgrade.

moniker

If you already have a Skylake processor there is no need to upgrade.

I know, I but I don't even have a PC currently so I was thinking about picking up a 6600K instead of waiting for 7600K. But the 7600K just appeared in stores now, so I've ordered one for store pickup tomorrow. Ridiculous price though - $320 because of shit exchange rate (and 25% VAT).

Jeff6851

Pardon the dumb question, but I'm planning on building a new PC and this is my first time getting an SSD.

Is the idea to get an SSD for your OS / system, and then get an HDD for everything else? Both internal? Mix of both?

Get a 500 GB SSD for OS and games that take a while to load and a 2 TB+ for everything else.

If you have the budget then just get a few large SSDs

Got this guy today, couldn't pass this up for 430 from Amazon.

xuCG9Mu.jpg

What a beauty this card is

Wait, isn't that the usual price?

And yeah, what a beauty.

Vuze

lmfao. EVGA just teased a revision of the FTW called FTW2 with "ICX" cooler.
What a "lol suck it up" move towards existing owners after the FTW cooler debacle. While the customer service was great and fortunately I got my FTW refunded, I'm sure as hell not buying any GPUs from them anymore.

CX5fx5z.png

LilJoka

What a "lol suck it up" move towards existing owners after the FTW cooler debacle. While the customer service was great and fortunately I got my FTW refunded, I'm sure as hell not buying any GPUs from them anymore.

CX5fx5z.png

EVGA messed up on the GTX 9xx as well, the plate which was supposed to cool the die was offset such that a heat pipe wasn't fully touching....

inner-G

Banned

CX5fx5z.png

What a shitshow

I was glad to still be in the return window of my card when ACX 3.0-gate happened, and I ended up swapping for an ASUS Strix. No complaints.

Vuze

What a shitshow

I was glad to still be in the return window of my card when ACX 3.0-gate happened, and I ended up swapping for an ASUS Strix. No complaints.
Yeah, same here. I actually find the Strix way more subtle in terms of load noise than the FTW too and it really does look quite nice in my case.

Wait, isn't that the usual price?

And yeah, what a beauty.

I've been seeing it go on Newegg and such for 450. The DT versions of the FTW are usually 430.

The FTW's are probably not as in demand because of the whole... thing. Which turned out to be within normal defect rates, but still. I have a 1060 SC and am still a bit on edge.

That is obviously on the back of my mind though lol but fingers crossed. Hopefully EVGA fixed that with their new batch of cards.

Glad I went with the Asus GTX 1080 Strix then.
I'm currently building a new PC (Kaby Lake) and was hoping for a Asus Z270 Deluxe mainboard but no annoucement for that one so far.
Anyone with an idea what would be a good alternative? I need both wifi and bluetooth.

CX5fx5z.png
Yeah I think this will be the last time I purchase an EVGA product.

rtcn63

Aww man, this one is on sale

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-su...ess-3-0-graphics-card/5450703.p?skuId=5450703

It's 409 on amazon so i'd price match. How do I know if that one has the fix from the overheat issue they had?

The issue apparently isn't overheating, but defective caps or something... that maybe prevent the cards from surviving the paper temps. Which I guess counts as overheating. At least, that's whats responsible for the mini-explosions on the PCB.

Vuze

There's a pretty decent deal going on for a Skylake i5 bundle right now (337€). My brother wanted to upgrade from his FX 8320 at some point, so I wonder if it's worth it gaming-wise?

He's mainly playing GTAV and often tells me about severe "stutter" (I assume frame time spikes). He's using a 970 btw.

You guys reckon it would be a good upgrade? Any Skylake price drops in sight (I doubt it)?

Currently:
8GB DDR3-1600
FX 8320 @ 4,2GHz

Bundle:
16GB DDR4-2133
i5 6500 (non K, so 3,6GHz)
ASUS H170-Pro

Stupid cooling question: Should I mount a case fan along the bottom of my Fractal R9 if it's sitting on carpet? I would assume the hot air would still get stuck inside the case since the carpet fibers would be blocking the exhaust vent.

Hey guys so I need some help cause my processor and motherboard are ancient and I need to figure out if these two...

AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

MSI Computer Motherboard ATX DDR3 1066 NA 970A-G43 PLUS

Are able to fit together. Cause I need to upgrade.

They can because the motherboard is AM3+ and the FX 6300 is an AM3+ processor.

However.

If you can hold out I would suggest not necessarily changing just yet. Because the FX 6300 is somewhat behind the times as well, and AMD's Ryzen processors should be launching within the next few months, and Intel's new Skylake processors are coming out atm. Even if you don't necessarily pick out the highest end hardware, it should hopefully induce a lowering of prices in general if AMD is anywhere near competitive.

Kalentan

They can because the motherboard is AM3+ and the FX 6300 is an AM3+ processor.

However.

If you can hold out I would suggest not necessarily changing just yet. Because the FX 6300 is somewhat behind the times as well, and AMD's Ryzen processors should be launching within the next few months, and Intel's new Skylake processors are coming out atm. Even if you don't necessarily pick out the highest end hardware, it should hopefully induce a lowering of prices in general if AMD is anywhere near competitive.

Should I also hold off on the motherboard?

Cause my motherboard is so old I can't adjust the power needed for the RAM I have so while I do have 16 GB of RAM. It's only letting me use 8.

I also fear that my continious problems with my computer are made only worse by having ancient hardware.

To put it in perspective, I got the original computer with the processor and motherboard in either late middle school or 9th grade. Now I'm ending my 5th year of College.

Should I also hold off on the motherboard?

Cause my motherboard is so old I can't adjust the power needed for the RAM I have so while I do have 16 GB of RAM. It's only letting me use 8.

I also fear that my continious problems with my computer are made only worse by having ancient hardware.

To put it in perspective, I got the original computer with the processor and motherboard in either late middle school or 9th grade. Now I'm ending my 5th year of College.

...Okay, fair enough.

Take it in your case that A) Your RAM is DDR3 and B) You're working on something of a budget?

FFMafia

On the pcpartpicker website when I select the 7700K CPU with my newly acquired msi z170a Mpower
gaming titanium mobo, the compatibility notice stating some z170 mobos may need a bios update prior to using kaby lake.

How do I know if mine needs it? And if so can I just use a usb drive to update or something when I fully assemble a new build from scratch with the Kaby? I don't have any other CPU to use prior to updating on this board. Thanks gaf

L.O.R.D

just bought the LG 24MP88HV

excuse my shitty camera,but i am impressed by the quality
the audio is bad,but i am using my headphone anyway,i really wished they put remote control to it.
what i don't like about this monitor is i can't tilt too much down or up,it's just you put it in that stand and good to go,maybe i will get separate mount in the feature because it has place to mount.

this happen to me all the time,after i buy something,my brain tell me i made the wrong choice and should get the BenQ EW2440L instead.
but i took the LG because of colors sRBG 99% (i don't even know what it that)

i bought it mainly for PS4/PS3,and to watch some movies on it instead of watching them on my laptop.

DBT85

Personally living in an all SSD world is a nice one for my main PC. My games, programs photos etc are all on SSDs.

If you can afford it do it. Depends how much shit you need to install on your machine of course. All my media (tv and film) is on HDDs because there's like 12TB of it.

finalflame

- Intel i7-7700K Kaby Lake Processor
- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX Formula Motherboard
- Intel 600p 512gb NVMe M.2
- Corsair Crystal Case 570X
- Corsair H115i CPU Watercooler
- ASUS Strix GTX 1080
- 4x8gb (32gb) Corsair Dominator DDR4-3000 RAM
- EVGA 850 P2 PSU

Hictvnl.jpg

Let's go :) Probably live streaming the build later tonight.

Red Devil

a 1060 will do you very well, preferably the 6gb, but at 1080p you'll be playing all your games on high setting without any issue.

I wouldn't go with a 3 GB 1060. You're better off with a 4gb 480 or an 8gb 470 for the price range. The 6 gb 1060 is the best of your choices overall.

I'm very pleased with my nitro+ 470 8GB.
I haven't played much yet tho

Thanks for the advice guys.

Kalentan

...Okay, fair enough.

Take it in your case that A) Your RAM is DDR3 and B) You're working on something of a budget?

Yes, the RAM is DDR3.

On the terms of a budget. A bit. I still need to be able to afford RE7 later this month (and well general other things) and since I work at my school, I'm currently on my last pay check until I begin my last semester later this month. So I only have $277.

L.O.R.D

something bothering me,
my laptop has 1366x768 resolution.
my mew monitor has 1920x1080 resolution.

when i connect my laptop to this monitor (duplicate),the monitor res will become 1366x768.
i tried to go intel and nvidia panel but it only detect one screen,but i can see the name of my monitor and the internal screen.

if i picked only to show on external monitor,it will become 1920x1080.

any help?

- Intel i7-7700K Kaby Lake Processor
- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX Formula Motherboard
- Intel 600p 512gb NVMe M.2
- Corsair Crystal Case 570X
- Corsair H115i CPU Watercooler
- ASUS Strix GTX 1080
- 4x8gb (32gb) Corsair Dominator DDR4-3000 RAM
- EVGA 850 P2 PSU

Hictvnl.jpg

Let's go :) Probably live streaming the build later tonight.
Please do.

Random question, is there a way I can plug my HD 558s and my logitech speakers at the same time? I want to be able to switch from one output to the other if possible. Also plugging the 558s into the logitech speaker control switch is out of the question due to how comically long the cord is.

Random question, is there a way I can plug my HD 558s and my logitech speakers at the same time? I want to be able to switch from one output to the other if possible. Also plugging the 558s into the logitech speaker control switch is out of the question due to how comically long the cord is.

Use ties to shorten the cable?

enewtabie

On the pcpartpicker website when I select the 7700K CPU with my newly acquired msi z170a Mpower
gaming titanium mobo, the compatibility notice stating some z170 mobos may need a bios update prior to using kaby lake.

How do I know if mine needs it? And if so can I just use a usb drive to update or something when I fully assemble a new build from scratch with the Kaby? I don't have any other CPU to use prior to updating on this board. Thanks gaf

Msi 100 series mobos are Kaby Lake ready via bios update

http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-100-series-motherboard-support/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom