• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN gives Sudeki a...(also 1up score)

I liked the demo in OXM and decided to pick it up at lunch. RPGs like FF and ToS are not my cup of tea. I could care less about "teh art" because, quite frankly, I'm just a redneck from Georgia. I'm not gonna bash those games or anything, but I just can't get into them.

Anyway, I thought all the haters would get a laugh out of this. On the cover of the boxart it says:

"5 out of 5 Stars!" - Maxim.

rastex said:
If you're this anal about writing in videogames you must play and enjoy maybe 1 game a year. Wow. As has been said countless times, it would be VERY nice if games had quality writing, but in general, they're not at that stage yet.

As mentioned above, there are plenty examples of good writing in games, though not many of them have can be found on consoles in the US (great writing has been found in PC games for a decade, and many examples of great writing in Japanese games are left in Japan). If the writing and voice acting in a game are not worth sitting through, why bother adding them in the first place? What can they possibly add to the player's experience when all they do is test a player's endurance for their badness? Action games quite commonly have had trifiling stories ever since the 8-bit days, but when their gameplay is the focus, the demo loop/intro text scroll/what have you can be skipped without consequence. However, when a developer makes a game's script and cinematics a substantial part of the experience, if these are not up to par, then the game is a failure. I'd have a hard time believing somebody would sit through mind-rendingly bad acting just to play through few more of those delicious random battles and then call the game a success.

It's been seven years since FF7 and six since MGS respectively put the cinematics bug up the asses of larger console developers. Isn't it about time we had higher standards for this sort of thing?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
rastex said:
But the GAME isn't bad. I think the only people who have levied criticisms about the actual gameplay are the ones who have played and liked the game.

No, going by the demo, the gameplay is a problem, though the laughably bad dialogue doesn't exactly help the game (and you can get as pissy as you like about it, but this is a genre where the writing and story are going to be part of making or breaking the overall experience). The control feels unwieldy, the enemy AI is poor, combat is dull as ditchwater, and the dungeon in the demo is dull and uninspired, complete with a tedious and unnecessarily easy block-pushing puzzle.

If the demo really isn't representative of the game, then I'm happy to give it a second chance at some point, but right now I'm not planning on buying.

And based on the demo, the game would be bad even if it were made in Japan, though I'd probably be complaining about the laughable translation rather than the laughable dialogue.

ferricide

i'm still morbidly curious about this game and i don't know why.

this thread is CRAPX0R, though. people have such crazy bugs up their asses. the like, double backflip twist bug of "i hate you because you hate sudeki because you love japan" is perverse in the extreme. find something else to worry about.

This game reminds me of StarFox Adventures:

Shitty voice acting
Crappy character design/modeling
Simplistic gameplay
beautiful environments and great graphics that didn't save it
UK developer

StarFox tried to imitate Zelda and made a laughable job.
Sudeki tries to imitate japanese RPGs and (appearently) did a laughable job.

But IGN gave SFA a 9 (which made me buy it).
Consider yourselves lucky to be able to skip a mediocre game.

Oh no wait, I'm wrong, Sudeki is an Action RPG.

Online/multiplayer can make it good, as seen in PSO, Secret of Mana.
Complicated developement trees and an immersive world (exploration) can make it good, like in Dark Cloud 2.
Good storyline and Good art can make it good, like Secret of Mana.
Puzzles and big emphasis on exploration can make it good, like Zelda.

If you can't play an Action RPG online or with your friends and if it doesn't have good character developement (upgrading your weapons, etc), then doesn't that just make a shitty run-down action game that wants to be an RPG but is too lazy? Am I the only one that thought Dark Alliance was crap? I mean, it did have pretty bad character art and a lousy story (especially compared with the other BG games) and redundant gameplay?

Does Sudeki have good exploration? What about side quests?

Are you telling me that the "Run up to the enemy and press A" gameplay saves it? What is good about the gameplay? Doesn't all gameplay in Action RPGs end up being redundant in the end? Imagine a PSO where you can't play with friends or a Dark Cloud 2 where you can't upgrade your weapons, build towns, etc., a Zelda game with no puzzles or secrets or even a Secret of Mana with shitty art/story. Where does that leave you?

If the gameplay is what "SAVES" this game, then what's good about it? Can someone explain? No one here has.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Date of Lies said:

Shitty voice acting
Simplistic gameplay
UK developer

Good point. SFA massively disappointed me and to be honest, Sudeki and SFA are more similar than you'd think, bar the frame rates. I wouldn't like to comment on the levels as a whole as I've only played through a handful and they were all 'seen it before' generic puzzles and scenarios.

As for combat, if PSO is a 1 and Ninja Gaiden is a 10, then Sudeki is a 2.

It's pretty mindless and flat. You'd be better off waiting for Fable - it does everything better and you can run into schools and scare children wearing only your pants. And gyrate rudely at women.

IJoel

Date of Lies said:

Shitty voice acting
Simplistic gameplay
UK developer

Oh no wait, I'm wrong, Sudeki is an Action RPG.

Online/multiplayer can make it good, as seen in PSO, Secret of Mana.
Complicated developement trees and an immersive world (exploration) can make it good, like in Dark Cloud 2.
Good storyline and Good art can make it good, like Secret of Mana.
Puzzles and big emphasis on exploration can make it good, like Zelda.

If you can't play an Action RPG online or with your friends and if it doesn't have good character developement (upgrading your weapons, etc), then doesn't that just make a shitty run-down action game that wants to be an RPG but is too lazy? Am I the only one that thought Dark Alliance was crap? I mean, it did have pretty bad character art and a lousy story (especially compared with the other BG games) and redundant gameplay?

Does Sudeki have good exploration? What about side quests?

Are you telling me that the "Run up to the enemy and press A" gameplay saves it? What is good about the gameplay? Doesn't all gameplay in Action RPGs end up being redundant in the end? Imagine a PSO where you can't play with friends or a Dark Cloud 2 where you can't upgrade your weapons, build towns, etc., a Zelda game with no puzzles or secrets or even a Secret of Mana with shitty art/story. Where does that leave you?

If the gameplay is what "SAVES" this game, then what's good about it? Can someone explain? No one here has.

I will post in-depth impressions tomorrow, but to answer your 'gameplay' question, I'll just bring up another example: Tales of Symphonia.

Tales of Symphonia has shitty graphics, average sound and a generic storyline. Tales of Symphonia also kicks ass and I've been playing it for more than 26 hours already. Why? Because the combat engine is very fun and allows for a multitude of strategies when facing different situations. Sudeki is very similar to ToS in the combat engine with the main difference being that Sudeki is not nearly as fast. Sure, ToS has a multiplayer component, but based on my single player experience, it just rocks.

Top Bottom