• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Poyunch

Boney said:
Good choice on an avatar there kiddo
Well I was using another PB avatar before but I guess it was too subtle.
QJudD.png

AceBandage said:
Nintendo has always designed their consoles around their own needs first and foremost, and basically said "Have fun figuring this out, third parties!" On the N64, they actually held back tech info from third parties so that they couldn't out do their first party games.

you neglect to mention it was a pain in the ass for Nintendo themselves :lol

Chiggs said:
Lke 512MB? That's what will cause me to boycott the system.

I think Nintendo needs a strong negative reaction if they pull that shit. They seem to respond well to E3 reactions

but whats to say they even give us specs

The idea of EAD Tokyo (the people behind Galaxy) being able to work on graphics hardware that's at least 4x more powerful than that of 360/PS3 sends shivers down my spine.

rpmurphy said:
Ok thanks. I mean, I get the idea that people are going to see the next consoles that Sony and MS are going to put out as the benchmark for "next gen", but is it plausible that they don't go for a full generational leap either, like maybe only 90% or something?

That is personally what I am expecting. Sony and MS took a serious beating to get to where they did. I can't see them doing the same thing. They went with virtually top of the line hardware at the time and had to eat some serious costs because of it. I just don't believe they'll do it again. Me and some others have said that we don't expect those two to make a big leap over Nintendo, especially with Nintendo making the move now while they are still trying to recover from this gen.

Nirolak said:
One notable thing about Sony's financial report though is that their gaming division is one of the only positives.

Yes, though this is after years of losses in that department, and still an overall loss (for the third year) for the company.
When you see Nintendo still making millions even on a downturn, it kind of makes you think that Sony might not try the same approach twice.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo has always designed their consoles around their own needs first and foremost, and basically said "Have fun figuring this out, third parties!" On the N64, they actually held back tech info from third parties so that they couldn't out do their first party games.
You seem to think that Nintendo designed silicon in the N64. They may have had some input, but I've read - and I can't tell you where exactly without a lot of googling - that the silicon was mostly done, the owner tried first to sell it to Sega, then Sony, and then finally after failing there, they sold it to Nintendo.

Edit: ooh source - not a great one, but it is one.

http://emu.kulichki.net/console/nintendo64/

beast786

AceBandage said:
However, the market has changed drastically, since then.
They could, technically, survive on just first party games, but that is a slow uphill battle and can quickly be snuffed out, especially if they can't capture a quick mass market with a WiiSports/Brain Training again.
However, with the Cafe (and to a certain extent, the 3DS), they have had to go to third parties and say "Ok, tell us what you want and we'll see what we can do." This is especially evident by the fact that third parties have had kits since at least last summer.
They will need to make third parties happy if they want to continue to stay relevant.

The 3DS is a clear generational leap (actually, probably more so). It was the PSP that was more powerful than a handheld had any right to be at the time (and it did bite them in the ass for a good while).

I agree with what nintendo need to do as per making sure that 3rd is happy. But to be honest. On a personal level I don't care about 3rd parties unless it will be exclusive to cafei. MY PC is pretty powerful so I will always play the Multiplat on it. I am just really curious how nintendo will use all that hardware power. Like you said, if they dont they will be out class on there own console by 3rd parties. Hence, they must have couple of trick saved. I think that is the biggest question mark for me. What will nintendo do with all this hardware power. It will cost them more money and time for each game.

Grampa Simpson said:
You seem to think that Nintendo designed silicon in the N64. They may have had some input, but I've read - and I can't tell you where exactly without a lot of googling - that the silicon was mostly done, the owner tried first to sell it to Sega, then Sony, and then finally after failing there, they sold it to Nintendo.

Edit: ooh source - not a great one, but it is one.

http://emu.kulichki.net/console/nintendo64/

Silicon Graphics Inc. designed the Nintendo 64's RCP or Reality CoProcessor (the GPU) and MIPS designed the CPU. I cannot remember if SGI owned MIPS at the time.

grap3fruitman said:
With this increase in power, will Nintendo make the move to a $60 MSRP as well? I hope not. =(

Considering 3DS games are $40, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo will keep Café games at $50. I mean, development costs are going to be MUCH higher than they were for the Wii.

beast786

grap3fruitman said:
With this increase in power, will Nintendo make the move to a $60 MSRP as well? I hope not. =(

Honestly, does that even matter. Within a week you can get 10-20 dollars off at amazon or ebay or anywhere else.

Anth0ny

grap3fruitman said:

I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd happily pay $60 for the first party Nintendo games, though. Besides those, I'll just wait until the games drop to ~$30 or less before buying them.

Log4Girlz

Anth0ny said:
I wouldn't be surprised.

I'd happily pay $60 for the first party Nintendo games, though. Besides those, I'll just wait until the games drop to ~$30 or less before buying them.

I would happily pay $100 for certain titles. I know I'm crazy.

J-Rock

Banned
beast786 said:
I am really looking forward to see what the 1st party is going to do with all this hardware power. I just cant see it as Mario HD etc etc. The art-style has always been good enough that HD did not even matter.

I could see Cafe games looking a lot more like the concept art Nintendo creates.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Silicon Graphics Inc. designed the Nintendo 64's RCP or Reality CoProcessor (the GPU) and MIPS designed the CPU. I cannot remember if SGI owned MIPS at the time.

Man, N64 would have been a beast had it used CDs and come w/ 8MB RAM out of the box. I hope Nintendo have learned from this mistake. Your system is only as good as its weakest link.

Log4Girlz

Fourth Storm said:
Man, N64 would have been a beast had it used CDs and come w/ 8MB RAM out of the box. I hope Nintendo have learned from this mistake. Your system is only as good as its weakest link.

The biggest problem with the N64, besides carts was its incredibly limited texture cache.

Anyway, they're just never going to release a cutting edge machine ever again. I mean, if they wanted to, the damn thing would look like a PC and suck on like 500 watts.

grap3fruitman said:
With this increase in power, will Nintendo make the move to a $60 MSRP for games as well? I hope not. =(

I could care less. $10 isn't alot of money to me.

Not that I'm rich or anything, but I remember paying $70 to $100 for each of the original Phantasy Star games on Master System and Genesis.

randomkid

Can someone explain why the IGN rumors seem to be trusted so much more than that French website? I haven't been following super closely, but I thought that the French site had a sterling record with various rumors, while IGN's was kinda spotty.

And the French site said it was a "notch" above the 360 right?

Personally, an on-the-go console experience doesn't interest me. And judging by the PSP's US sales, I'm in the same boat with a lot of other people. A handheld should play handheld games and honestly, you don't need graphics better than the 3DS for that. The only problem with the 3DS I can see is a lack of games.

antonz

randomkid said:
Can someone explain why the IGN rumors seem to be trusted so much more than that French website? I haven't been following super closely, but I thought that the French site had a sterling record with various rumors, while IGN's was kinda spotty.

Well theres a few ways to answer this.
1. French rumored specs are inline with the IGN specs
2. French site got the NGP right but that was beyond simple leaking. They clearly had devkit access etc to present the amount of information they gave and the exact details as far as components etc.

watershed

Banned
randomkid said:

You're right, the French website also started the first, most detailed rumor. But then IGN went out of their way and staked their reputation on the validity of their sources in an editorial and then they went and built a pc around the specs they were told by their sources. That seemed to give IGN more credibility on the rumor front. Not more credible than the French site, just more credibility than your average whatever sticks rumor.

But also one source's notion of "just a notch" and another's "significantly more powerful" could ultimately be referring to the exact same specs, perceived or utilized differently. It doesn't matter though, in 2 weeks we will have some media to judge for ourselves.

artwalknoon said:
You're right, the French website also started the first, most detailed rumor. But then IGN went out of their way and staked their reputation on the validity of their sources in an editorial and then they went and built a pc around the specs they were told by their sources. That seemed to give IGN more credibility on the rumor front. Not more credible than the French site, just more credibility than your average whatever sticks rumor.

But also one source's notion of "just a notch" and another's "significantly more powerful" could ultimately be referring to the exact same specs, perceived or utilized differently. It doesn't matter though, in 2 weeks we will have some media to judge for ourselves.

good post.

antonz said:
Well theres a few ways to answer this.
1. French rumored specs are inline with the IGN specs
2. French site got the NGP right but that was beyond simple leaking. They clearly had devkit access etc to present the amount of information they gave and the exact details as far as components etc.

Exactly. The problem is the interpretation of those specs being "slightly more powerful" or "significantly more powerful" than current gen consoles.

antonz

You can see how specs are interpretted right here on gaf.

There are a percentage of people who think 4 PS360s duct taped togeather is not a sufficient jump in power.

We are looking a console that has literally like 72x the power of the Wii

Hiltz

AceBandage said:
Nintendo has always designed their consoles around their own needs first and foremost, and basically said "Have fun figuring this out, third parties!"

This is a bad habit Nintendo really needs to change in my opinion. It can still be innovative and unique in some ways, but it has to keep in mind what third-parties generally want.

randomkid

artwalknoon said:

Interesting, didn't know any of that about IGN, so that's the reason they've been getting all this attention. I figured people would just stick with the site with the good track record. I also see what you're saying about differing potential interpretations of the same specs.

So based on the past, what's the more likely possibility: a source underestimating a system's power? ("just a notch") Or overestimating? ("significantly more powerful")

I seem to remember overestimates for the NGP, and no underestimates. Anyone remember if it was the same for 3DS?

Hiltz said:
This is a bad habit Nintendo really needs to change in my opinion. It can still be innovative and unique in some ways, but it has to keep in mind what third-parties generally want.

On the business side, sure, but it also shows you a genuine company that believes in their own vision first and foremost and sticks to their "guns".

I also like how with Nintendo, the controller is often as vital as the system itself.

I have a good feeling this new system will not turn off third parties like many of the past ones have.

Top Bottom