• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm starting to think Bloodborne at 60fps on PS5 Pro might be a reality

XXL

So I was reading over the CNET article again and noticed these two sections, that I don't believe are being discussed enough because of all the drama surrounding the system regarding pricing.

Beyond those specific game updates, another mode called PS5 Pro Game Boost promises performance improvements for 8,500 backward-compatible PS4 games that play on PS5, and Sony promises some PS5 game improvements here too. I didn't get to try any PS4 games to see how they played.
"I've already seen games with three different PS5 Pro modes," Cerny said of the lineup of games upgraded for the launch. "As time goes by, particularly for the games which are launching after the hardware releases, we'll increasingly see a more nuanced approach, where the focus is less on resolution, and much more about higher image quality through a variety of strategies."

I don't think the dream is dead, in fact I think it's very much alive. I think Bloodborne may be able to be 60fps with AI upscaling on this system.
Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

I'm also very interested in what the different modes on PS5 Pro means. Is there a performance mode and what does that mean exactly?

Last edited:

night13x

Sony should pull a ps2 and just have a SOP.....have a sony rep come out on stage to the podium. The only thing said is "Bloodborne 60fps" and then leave. End of SOP.

That is all that is needed for this to sell bonkers lol.

• Fire
Reactions: XXL

HL3.exe

From's claimed in the past that real 60 fps would break things and the codebase is a disaster so they don't want to fix it.

But fakery might work.
Or wait in the PC emulator community to fix it. Probably a delta.time issue. (Game-logic locked to refresh)

Edit:

The progress on that emulator recently is insane.

Last edited:
Maybe they could fake 60 fps with Frame Gen.
Possibly... I posted this in the MLiD thread... the part in the presentation starting at 5:43 Mark Cerny says, "machine learning via PSSR library is being used quite broadly to add pixel detail and boost frame rate" ....looks like a form of frame gen is being deployed here I'm not sure if that was confirmed anywhere else.

• Thoughtful

Skifi28

From's claimed in the past that real 60 fps would break things and the codebase is a disaster so they don't want to fix it.

But fakery might work.
The game is already running at 60fps on hacked consoles and it seems to be just fine.

Edit: Late as usual.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
This is what I'm thinking.
So - you want them to take a 30 FPS game, with highly unstable frame-pacing and all the associated input-latency issues, then double up on that with frame-interpolation so we get a stuttery 60hz with even worse input latency?
no man GIF

Unless they patch it which they seem to have no intention of doing, no
As I mentioned in another thread - given the rumored capability of PSSR being accessible to older titles - I could see them patching* that in (which honestly, would be pretty game changing - BB had pretty awful Image quality - so both the TAA and Reconstruction element would do wonders for it visually).
*BB never received a Pro patch because that required SDK upgrade - under the assumption that PSSR does not, it's a more viable possibility.

XXL

Another exciting possibility for my VR crew. Is GT7 VR having RT or being 120fps with a crisper image.
Cerny said the Pro will allow higher-resolution games on the PSVR 2 thanks to the GPU boost and eventually a tuning of Sony's AI upscaling that will work with all VR games. No specific PSVR 2 upgraded games have been announced yet, and I wonder what those improvements would even feel like.
I'm not sure if RT with VR is even feasible, but if so that could be pretty great.

XXL

So - you want them to take a 30 FPS game, with highly unstable frame-pacing and all the associated input-latency issues, then double up on that with frame-interpolation so we get a stuttery 60hz with even worse input latency?
no man GIF
People in this thread have already showed its possible.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
People in this thread have already showed its possible.
Who in this thread showed anything of Bloodborne running with Auto-Framegen from original framerate without destroying frame-pacing/input latency?

The hacked version of the binary are modifying the game to *actually* run at 60 - which I have no issue with, but we all know we're never getting a modified Bloodborne unless From is threatened at gunpoint.

XXL

If Bloodborne 60 FPS is only available on PS5 Pro I'm going to laugh so hard.

I'm getting it day one regardless, but this will make it so much sweeter. The best game of last generation.
Bloodborne is one the all time greats, not just last gen.

It has quite possibly has the best art direction of all time.

ReBurn

Gold Member

HL3.exe

Who Cares So What GIF by Awkward Daytime TV

It's like you want me to love the NeoGAF community more than I already do.

We didn't buy Concord and we are obsessed with Bloodborne.
How I Met Your Mother Comedy GIF by Laff
Speak for yourself. Couldn't care less about Bloodborne (or souls-likes in general) 😅

I just wish Sony would give ya guys a framerate unlocker and finally enjoy the game that can easily be run at that framerate at this point, and would finally stop whining about it online (partially kidding of course)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Bloodborne being 60fps on only PS5 Pro would piss off quite a bit of fans. The PS5 can easily do it.

But really, they should just remaster it and sell it again.

HL3.exe

This is hilarious coming from someone who's user name is Half Life 3. Lol.

Jokes aside, I want HL3 too. I've been playing HL2 in VR recently....
Pretending New Girl GIF
Touche.

But truth be told; I don't really care about HL3 after 16 years waiting. It's why I ironically chose that name with the idea that it'll never come out..

..and than, Alyx came out, was great and now there are actual HL3 rumors suddenly. If it ever comes out I'll definitely play it, but i'm not really excited for it in reality, because of my age probably.

Last edited:
  • Fire

XXL

Touche.

But truth be told; I don't really care about HL3 after 16 years waiting. It's why I ironically chose that name with the idea that it'll never come out..

..and than, Alyx came out, was great and now there are actual HL3 rumors suddenly. If it ever comes out I'll definitely play it, but i'm not really excited for it in reality, because if my age probably.
If there is a HL3 I would love for it to be at least a hybrid VR title.

Half Life and VR go together perfectly.

But fakery might work.
Lance McDonald's unofficial patch fixed it all. Lance, working alone and without the source code, was able to back port the Dark Souls 3 PS4 Pro patch and then made a few few tweaks. If he could manage, then From and/or Sony could as well. This narrative that 60fps will irrevocably break the game needs to stop. From and/or Sony are just being lazy or greedy.

YCoCg

Based on how this this running on PC via emulation (and hacked PS4 pro's with an unlocked framerate patch), that's been proven to be false.
It's not false, they were correct in what they said, this was one of the earlier issues illusion had with the game when just doing the basic vblank cap, they stated that some of the games physics were then sped up, but they've fixed it all themselves and that's what the patch includes, ....so the work FromSoftware complained about has been done by one person.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
It's not false, they were correct in what they said, this was one of the earlier issues illusion had with the game when just doing the basic vblank cap, they stated that some of the games physics were then sped up, but they've fixed it all themselves and that's what the patch includes, ....so the work FromSoftware complained about has been done by one person.

Ah understood. In that case it would make sense then that the shadps4 guys have adapted the patches illusion previously made for use with the emulator.

I’m hoping it does for PS4 games what Xbox did with the BC catalog.

Besides Bloodborne, another title that could use more love is Alien Isolation. Last I checked, it was still stuck on 30fps on PS5, but rans 60fps on Series X.

Top Bottom