• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In your opinion, what/who's ruining the gaming industry?

CunningPlan

A combination of factors, but it's the DEI inserted into everything that is really irking me. Concord for example is a game I would 100% normally be interested in that has completely put me off with this nonsense. The rampant greed of the GaaS "genre" is also a huge put off in many cases, feels like they ate just saying "give me money" at every opportunity. Gaming is supposed to be escapism ffs.

_Ex_

The demographic. The people who buy the games and pay for gaming related services. The entire industry is predicated upon the voting dollar of those who pay for the product. Buy shit, get shit. Stop paying for shit.

From what I've observed it's not one singular thing that's choking the industry but a collection of things/events happening in unison. The Woke Folks, the Wall Street money, and the legends all retiring/leaving.

Ozriel

M$FT
Gamers and grifters

Gaming is as good as it’s ever been. But there’s a certain contingent of clowns who chase clout by telling impressionable dafties that gaming is ‘ruined’.

iQuasarLV

OP, In which way?

Economics?
Business practice?
Sociologically?
Anthropologically?

There is a lot of factors contributing to the burnout of video games as a whole, but certain areas are contributing more than others. Thus, over exposing the lesser factors like a loud mouth in the room getting all the attention for the most minor of issues.

dano1

A Sheep
Gaming is pretty strong right now. But if I had to pick I would say game pass. But mostly just killing XBox

El Muerto

Gold Member
For me it's graphics. Seems like all these companies push for good graphics when there hasnt been much improvement in the past 10 years other then RT, but consoles and most pcs can't handle it. Just make the games fun. Give us destructible environments (Battlefield Bad Company), or detailed dismemberment (Soldier of Fortune 1+2), fucking innovate something. I dont want to walk around and go "ooh, ahh, cool" like i'm a damn 5 year old at a fireworks show.
Also Youtubers and Reddit. They shit on games over minor shit like rare minor non game breaking bugs saying the game is non-playable. Then everyone jumps on the bandwagon review bombing good games because the internet thinks it's the cool thing to do.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

I think it´s the fucking fanboys whiteknighting for their multibillion$ companies and excusing all scummy business practices while beeing milked for the last cent.
Microtransactions, battlepasses, 70$ games, price hikes for services - you name it, there is always a sucker defending the poor companies in the desperate need to make more dosh. Exactly those companies which post record breaking earnings, pay their CEOs salaries a whole town could live of and close their studios for economic reasons...

-> The braindead gamers are at fault!

Vyse

Gold Member
Looks up and goes back to playing Shadow of the Erdtree and downloading Stella Blade update.

So many great games. Let the crappy games hit the floor. Make games and entertainment that people want and they will jump in.

- Putting activism before creativity and talent
- Online connection/ account requirements to play single-player campaigns
- Consistent, deliberate exclusion of sexually attractive women in Western-developed games
- Reduced emphasis on quality control and devs being pressured to rush their work resulting in mediocre results
- Inflated executive level pay and bloated operational expenses on non-functional, nonsense departments and positions that take away from compensation for developers/ creative talent (the very foundation of gaming)

amigastar

Holy cow! Look at the first twenty seconds!! The staff photo at Ubisoft and NO WONDER

Remember back in the days where a game with gay character (Ballad of Gay Tony from Rockstar) was actually new and an unusual spin on games?

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Gamers who start saying how "woke" everything is are starting to get me away from this hobby.

The industry's obsession with hyperrealism and massive scale and content without caring about attention to detail and how impactful the gameplay and controls feel. (Emphasis on quantity over quality)

The industry playing it super safe with trendchasing, remakes/remasters, sequels, and sticking to well known formulas without trying something else.

Exploitation of minors and people with poor impulse control with MTX and disregard for safety (Roblox).

Heavy pushback for anything that could be seen as a gimmick while gameplay hasn't changed much since the PS3 era. Consoles like The Nintendo DS and Meta Quest have opened up new gameplay ideas.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Those losers that everyone ignored for decades got a job in the industry and went up the ranks by finding stupid shit on people and pushing others out.
That and the obvious greed.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Influencers
Jim ryan
Hermen hulst
Fortnite
Players with early pass shit.
The fucking woke agency
Sweet baby Inc.
The fucking Journalism... Like IGN, Kotaku... Meristation... Polygon.
Youtubers
The fucking mafia Guy from game awards or Summer fest... That miserable rat.
We laugh but he has the balls to drop a chunky list like this.

peek

Unpopular opinion inbound...

I believe we are in the golden age of gaming right now. Yup, even amongst all the bullshit out there, games have never been better. I feel like I cant even keep up with all these amazing indie games releasing, my backlog is getting ridiculous. Now sure theres plenty of things to complain about, but overall I think gaming hasnt been this good since the ps2 days.

Hydroxy

Publishers are ruining it obviously. The publishers who put developers under lot of pressure in terms of deadlines, adding anti consumer aspects to the games, etc.

Hudo

You specifically. Yes, you. I know you're reading this. You know who you are. I know who you are.

Dr.Morris79

i carnot believe this happens to gaming my friends we must fight back
Women cry sexism, push talent out (Maybe make up a few stories on the way for good measure and kick out more talent), take over, make shit games no one wants.

It's too late for most big studios. This is even before you get to the real woke shit.

Oh, the men in the industry?

O0KTc0l.jpeg

s8ukMWR.gif

Good luck.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Nothing. We've gotten lots of great games lately, everything from indies to big budget stuff.

Top Bottom