• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In your opinion, what/who's ruining the gaming industry?

DonF

Suits, 100%.

this was and industry made by geeks in their fucking basements. Now its run by suits looking at spreadsheets.

If anything doesnt have a disgusting ROI, its dead. There are almost no passion projects now, only indies are like that.
Everything must make the most amount of money to the 1% and thats it.

I hate it. The medium cant be considered art, its a business.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I don’t think they’re ruined at all. I don’t have enough time to play the hundreds of games I would like to play. I do wish there were weirder titles. I wish we had current equivalents to Team Silent/Kenji Eno/Roberta Williams kind of figures. More auteurs and less made by committees massive projects.

But I really can’t complain when this year alone I’ve been playing:

Pentiment
Shadow of the Erdtree
The Thousand Year Door
GT7
Hi-Fi Rush
Stellar Blade
Still Wakes the Deep
As Dusk Falls
Tekken 8
Lords of the Fallen
Helldivers 2
Garage: Bad Dream Adventure
Another Code
Tomb Raider Remastered
Rise of the Ronin
Stasis: Bone Totem

I mean, these are are all quality titles easily available on digital stores. Just ignore the soulless industrial products.

Put Gravity rush in that list...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Game Journalists. All gaming news outlets should just report on games. Not politics. Not fanboyism. If you're a game journalist or editor, you behave like a professional.
The incompetents at Meristation couldn't finish Gollum's game, so I snap them them and had to do the dirty work, and yes, is a shit game it is.

But at least I finished it with my own hands.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Suits, 100%.

this was and industry made by geeks in their fucking basements. Now its run by suits looking at spreadsheets.

If anything doesnt have a disgusting ROI, its dead. There are almost no passion projects now, only indies are like that.

How many sub 20 person teams existed in 1994?

How many sub 20 person teams exist today?

The geeks are still here making "passion" projects. You're just not buying them.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Its not that simple- say for every 1k players who are normal/avg u got 1 whale(rich kid or some other mofo who can spend say 10k usd/month for gaming), this guy will buy all the premium stuff/skins/p2w shit and everything else coz he can, 999 avg/normal players can only stop playing but thats it, they cant "not buy" premium coz they didnt buy it in the first place anyways.
That math works for a gacha game.

Look at Fortnite, that isn’t a whales market. It makes as much as it does because it targets the most impressionable target market, kids.

They will buy battle passes regularly, and skins. For no reason at all but because it’s the “it” game for them and their friends.

Call of Duty? A bit older demographic but selling skins and passes. Not whales. A steady trickle of $10 a person across a million people a month is doable.

Then you have games like league of legends, over watch 2, dots, csgo, valorant, etc.

This is not a whales market man. This is a masses buying market, and primarily youth.

Majukun

the chase to production values instead of actual good and innovative gameplay

that's what is driving dev cost up

that's what is making certain categories of games not profitable and steering publishers towards gaas in the hope of a jackpot

this being said, we are still getting good games, and the indie space is still churning gems

it would be better if we got some more space for AA titles though..gamepass was the hope for those, but Ms is now steering towards big franchises to drive up interest in the platform

Fess

Elden Ring is one of my top games of all time. And I just finished the expansion which was almost as good. I’m not sure I’m ready to say the industry is ruined…

But I’m not a fan of Sweet Baby Inc and DEI and female beauty disappearing in the west. Nvidia’s high prices on graphics cards is annoying as well. And delayed PC versions.
So I choose whoever is in charge of that, that bastard Sweet Baby Jen-Hsun Ryan!!!

Codes 208

I blame ea and activision for normalizing:
-loot boxes as p2w in full priced games
-season passes
-releaseing half-baked games
-charging premium for all of the above

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Everyone thought it was great how we were able to lower the bar of entry for people to get into game development.

The reality is that the industry is now full of talentless people. Take this interview with the dev of that shitty Over Jump Rally demo people are hyping as a retvrn to Sega Rally:

We are losing that hand-made, artist's touch approach to games development and AI is only going to make it worse.
This is my main gripe.

Devs caring about what the loud minority of easily butt hurt folk on social media feels about the gaming industry and how everything is so "toxic".

Majority of gamers are not ultra woke dorks, they just want to play great games and not have the content butchered just to appease the blue hair people.

Felessan

Suits, 100%.
It's suits that force 120m plays Fortnite and 60m play Genshin. Or to buy 20+m CoD copies every year. Yeah, sure.

Those geeks are still here, making 5$ games "voiced by professional programmer". You can play those games as much as you want.
Are you jealous that over time as gaming expands a new market arose? Where quality - quality of graphics, quality of script, quality of voice acting, quality of animations etc took over individuality and creativity. Not everyone into art films, blockbusters with their streamlined and "safe" but flashy approach are much more popular. And blockbusters, given their cost, have different approach, as no will give you money to throw 200m left and right for "artistic experiments".

For the record I don't think anyone is ruining gaming. I have a mountain of stuff to play.

All I see on here though is jaded people complaining about the exact same trends that Sony pushes more aggressively than anyone. AAA, GAAS, DEI, lack of communication, the death of fun showcases and hype trailers. Literally everyone else is doing just fine playing on PC, Xbox or Switch and don't complain a quarter as much. It's a bunch of jaded people that seem locked to PS, can't hardly see anything but AAA sequels, then complain about them after buying them over and over. It's literally their own fault. There's a nearly infinite amount of great games to play.

My point in this thread is that the only people that think anything is ruined seem to be mostly on PS. Most everyone else is fairly excited about the future, and the present.
W5Tmla2.png

Klayzer

I dont know and in all honestly don’t care, I mostly care about Japanese games and in my opinion they are still going strong….especially this year, most of the best games came out are Japanese games.
Truth.The gaming industry goes through cycles (good and bad) like any other industry. So many games to play for me to worry about trends.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Alternate headline: "PlayStation-leaning forum wonders why gaming is ruined."

I really don't see this sentiment much from Nintendo gamers, PC gamers, or Xbox gamers. Nintendo fans are happy. Gamepass fans are usually just short on time to play everything. PC gamers have never been in a better position.
"playstation leaning forum"

trust me you've not seen the worst of it if you think this place is "playstation leaning"

bender

What time is it?
The endless push for better visuals leading to ballooned development costs that make one commercial failure being a death knell for the studio which in turns makes these studios take less risk in design leading to also ran games that are mostly becoming stale.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The industry is like a toddler constantly pushing limits. But there's nothing that has come dangerously close to completely defeating the community watchdogs. Even gaas is sort of being kept in check. Also those who push DEI is showing signs of dialing down the pipe dream intensity.

Anyway, obviously those are the things that could potentially ruin it from my perspective.

Last edited:

dem

Games that aren't games.

Open world checklist task simulators

Abandoning physics

Everyone here likes to point to things like Fortnite as bad... but Fortnite is the peak of gaming right now.
It's an actual game. It plays amazing. The Battle Pass is great.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Blackrock and its kind forcing DEI bullshit into everything
What the fuck is with you DEI freaks? Jesus if a game sucks it sucks, that doesn't change if they put in a handicapped black woman who likes to fuck leopards in as a character.

I dislike trends where games are filled with samey bloat basically leaning towards GaaS while not being GaaS. Starfield was an example of this, everything in the game was designed to be grindy and most of the content sucked. Make the game tighter and it will be good. Try to chase some weird idea that enough people want to play for 100s of hours so you should cater to them is stupid.

Obviously I think GaaS are a waste of resources. Most do not succeed. Same goes for MMOs. Games that feel too much like work are not a good way to waste time while you are supposed to be doing actual work.

intbal

My local Gamestop salesman.
He's been harassing customers for twenty years.
Probably cost publishers $50 billion in lost sales in that timeframe.

Fbh

everyone GIF

It's a vicious circle where companies want no risk, max profits, make everything GAAS and for some reason put DEI crap in everything....and people playing games are spending most of their time and money on GAAS stuff making it highly profitable, while the more "hardcore audience" wants everything to be 40+ hours long, based on a known IP and with ever increasing graphics and production values which is driving up the cost of making games and pushing devs towards low risk formulaic crap.

Reckheim

Honestly, I think the industry is fine. I have a bigger problem with people actively looking to be outraged about stupid shit to feel self important.

There is so many games, different genres out there that there is just no need to be upset about 'GAAS' games or any other bullshit happening. If I don't like something I just won't play it. I don't need to write an essay about it on a gaming forum.

nikolino840

I dont know and in all honestly don’t care, I mostly care about Japanese games and in my opinion they are still going strong….especially this year, most of the best games came out are Japanese games.
Japanese games that are releasing also in the West or in general? There's a lot of loot gacha and nfts in Japanese games ... lots of mobile games also ..so There's no much differences about greedy ea or games for whales in japan Vs western country publishers

SonGoku

1. GaaS, MTX, F2P, subscription services like gamepass (because they encourage and accelerate gaas for success)
2. misunderstood casual mobile gaming success trying to be applied to enthusiast gaming.
3. Major devs being based in california injecting all their releases with the political bias from their liberal bubble and DEI nonsense

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Japanese games that are releasing also in the West or in general? There's a lot of loot gacha and nfts in Japanese games ... lots of mobile games also ..so There's no much differences about greedy ea or games for whales in japan Vs western country publishers
Sure there are lots mobile gatcha game in Japan but most them don’t come outside of Japan but most Japanese games coming to west has been great in fact this I don’t think bought many western games this year but I bought LOTS of Japanese games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Suits, 100%.

This.

When I see PlayStation get excited about buying a studio or working on a GaaS, I roll my eyes. They want to make the Epic Games money or make mobile money. None of that is artistic or pushing the boundaries. They want a clone.

While I’m very happy with gaming. I see a lot of stuff about it that sucks or isn’t interesting. Of course I can happily focus on what I like. It’s sad because as a kid, as long as it was a game, I was incredibly excited. Even back with the Wii/360/PS3 you could listen to the pulse, every single announcement, and you felt the hype. It’s probably better now in terms of the games we get, but there’s such a large spectrum of games being played/released.

Watch some random stream and you’ll find someone playing a game that you could not give a 💩about. Not everything is amazing, but some things are. I see so many games that I don’t care about along with the games I do like. It makes me enjoy remasters, remakes, and retro releases a lot more just because this GaaS or FPS craze seems so boring.

There’s probably a suit who wishes every Gen Z played their game. That’s good for their company, but it’s kinda lame for people who have gamed for 30+ years. If a group of rich non gamers make some big GaaS, who cares if it flops? I don’t have the energy to care about their failed attempt to make it rich with gaming. This is a long rant, but I’ll say this. The over saturation of the market makes me care a lot less about these companies going bankrupt or shutting down. I’ll find the funds for what I want and the rest can either exist or fail miserably.

Last edited:
Top Bottom